[KERNEL] [GPL] Quickie - Flashable Overclock Kernel - "Screamer"

Search This thread

Geniusdog254

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
St. Louis
Title says a helluva lot ;-)

READ THIS WHOLE POST AND THE WHOLE POST AFTER IT!

Features:
  • All steps undervolted about 25%. Should be stable still
  • The table is currently 300, 600, 950mhz until I can make it scale more than 3 steps.
  • The voltage for 950Mhz is less than at stock for 800Mhz, so you should see better battery life even though we're overclocked.
  • Display flicker fixed (or at least toned down, it can't be completely eliminated with the LED backlighting)
  • Scheduler tweaks backported from later kernel versions
  • Some governor tweaks of my own for responsiveness

To install this, just flash the zip in ClockworkMod. This shouldn't harm your device, but I make no promises. I trust it enough to run it on my device, if that means anything to y'all. I also attached a zip to flash back to the stock kernel (..but why would you break my heart by doing so..? ;P).

Next Up:
  • I REALLY want to get 1Ghz+ working, and my code is sound (I'm sure of that) but it won't boot on my device. I think I just need to find the right voltage, or I could have a bad die for OC'ing. This is the first thing I will work on.
  • Maybe the interactive CPU governor
  • Look into the 2-point touch limitation

Source:
Source is available on my GitHub at https://github.com/geniusdog254/Quickie

I will not flat out ask for donations, however I do appreciate them. So if you're feeling generous or appreciate my work then it would help me out a lot if you could donate. I have my game Reflex-A-Tron on the Market for $1 if you'd like to donate like that, or there is a link under my name on the left side to donate, and one in my signature. The one on the left and in my signature is to donate via PayPal. Any amount is appreciated, but please don't feel obligated.

You can contact me here via PM, on Twitter @geniusdog254, or email me at geniusdog254@gmail.com. Email or Twitter is the preferred method, because I really despise the XDA PM system.

Disclaimer:
If this breaks your Nook, kills your family/pets, or starts global thermonuclear war, do not blame me. You have been warned. If you break your device and blame me, I will point at you and laugh.

Attachments

• stock-1.0.1-kernel.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,387
  • quickie-1ghz-test.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,590
  • quickie-screamer.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 4,592
  • quickie-900mhz.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 2,369
Last edited:

Geniusdog254

Jan 2, 2009
St. Louis
Changelog:

1-11-11 - Screamer:
  • Overclock to 950Mhz. Still chokes at 1Ghz, which tells me it's probably my device. 950 is stable.
  • Temp sensor drivers. Thanks to the Nookie FroYo guys!
  • Updated to 2.6.29.6.
  • Scheduling tweaks from 2.6.31.
  • Code idle time from 2.6.34.
  • Scaling fixed. Now scales properly between all 3 CPU levels. Adding more than 3 makes it choke for some reason. I'll look into it.
  • Test version set at 1Ghz added. Just because it doesn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for you. Don't get your hopes up though, I've tried making it work every way from Sunday

Notes:
  • Screen WILL be unresponsive immediately after a boot. Just lock the device for several seconds, unlock it, and all will be fine until another reboot. I blame B&N, it happens with all custom kernels.
  • Yes, I know there are more versions of this kernel than there are Windows Vista. The middle one is the recommended one. If your Nook can't run at 950Mhz (crashing often, or just won't boot) try the one with the 900mhz tag. If you wanna try and push it higher, try the 1Ghz one. Be warned: very little success is reported with the 1Ghz kernel. The top level of these chips seems to be right around ~925-975Mhz. Very few devices will be able to hit 1Ghz.
  • You should probably wipe your cache partition after flashing this. You won't lose anything, and many people are reporting that it makes things more stable at the higher freqs for them.

MD5 Sums:
  • stock-1.0.1-kernel.zip — 78ccf8ab0cd35b988cc9a81bd8bbc310
  • quickie-1ghz-test.zip — 7076a88cae2229910478e698c0e19435
  • quickie-screamer.zip — 22e8c2cc21e42cca1d18377a92b49540
  • quickie-900mhz.zip — 40362515da86cb4baea37b0bc6358feb

Last edited:

runhopskipjump

Dec 20, 2010
Awesome! But is it compatible with nookie froyo (2.2) or the stock BN (2.1)?

Update: It boots Nookie Froyo but powers off immediately after booting. I am looking forward to the release of the 2.6.32 version of your work. Keep up the good work!

Sent from Nook Color (Nookie Froyo microSd optional)

fortuno01

Nov 20, 2010
Glad to have you part of the nook color family. You did awesome work on the Epic4G.

Looking forward to more great stuff from you.

Thanks

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using Tapatalk

deitiphobia

Nov 25, 2010
Pasadena, CA
Loss of touch sensitivity

I loaded up the new kernel via Clockwork and all went smoothly with the install. I noticed immediately that my touch sensitivity has decreased. I now have to press and hold just about as long as you would press and hold to bring up a context menu or something. If I don't do that, my touch is ignored and not registered.

Interestingly enough, when I type an email on the keyboard, it recognizes my typing very quickly. No apparent loss of sensitivity when I'm using the keyboard. I wonder why and how that is???

I guess I need to recalibrate the screen again to regain sensitivity.

I did notice that Castle Crashers frame-rate has improved a good bit with the overclock. It's a noticeable and welcome difference.

Angry birds was a bit annoying to play with the loss of screen sensitivity.

Edit: I alleviated the loss of touch sensitivity by installing the LCDDensity app from the Android Marketplace and selecting a density of 200.

Last edited:

nrune

Dec 12, 2010
melfa
Tried to install via clockwork and I keep getting errors unable to install. an I missing something?

sent from my nookcolor using the xda app

Got it working with clockwork update... thanks!

Last edited:

Mbarland

Oct 10, 2010
Flashed. Am loving it, seems much snappier, and the keyboard response at 900mhzz is much improved. Keep up the good work!

occip

Feb 3, 2009
NC overcklock

Hi,

Last month I made some tests with overcloking /undervolting. I was able to push the NC at 1.15GHz, with a little voltage tweaking. 1Ghz was achieved without voltage tuning. The smartreflex technology adjusts automaticaly the OPP voltages to minimize the power consumption. Maybe the L3 speed can be increased to 200 Mhz by setting DPLL at 400MHz (in u-boot).

Occip (working for 2.6.32 NC kernel)

sugwacee

Dec 23, 2010
I loaded up the new kernel via Clockwork and all went smoothly with the install. I noticed immediately that my touch sensitivity has decreased. I now have to press and hold just about as long as you would press and hold to bring up a context menu or something. If I don't do that, my touch is ignored and not registered.

Interestingly enough, when I type an email on the keyboard, it recognizes my typing very quickly. No apparent loss of sensitivity when I'm using the keyboard. I wonder why and how that is???

I did notice that Castle Crashers frame-rate has improved a good bit with the overclock. It's a noticeable and welcome difference.

Edit: I alleviated the loss of touch sensitivity by installing the LCDDensity app from the Android Marketplace and selecting a density of 200.

me too, seems touch for a while(XXms) take effect, less then that screen acts like nothing touch it. this drived me mad when using Gellery, switch pictures give terrible feeling.
i think this relay to the clock scaling, i will check this out using SetCPU.

thanks for your work!

xboxexpert

Aug 1, 2007
www.thexboxexpert.com
Amazing work with the kernal. I flashed and changed density to 200 in Root Explorer /system/build.prop and it works great.

Also in Spare parts I change both animations to Fast instead of defaults.

Geniusdog254

Jan 2, 2009
St. Louis
Hi,

Last month I made some tests with overcloking /undervolting. I was able to push the NC at 1.15GHz, with a little voltage tweaking. 1Ghz was achieved without voltage tuning. The smartreflex technology adjusts automaticaly the OPP voltages to minimize the power consumption. Maybe the L3 speed can be increased to 200 Mhz by setting DPLL at 400MHz (in u-boot).

Occip (working for 2.6.32 NC kernel)

Can you add me in GTalk? geniusdog254@gmail.com

I have some stuff I'd like to ask about. How did you do the OC? Did you change the actual clock in u-boot so everything scales up? Or did you add more VDD_OPP* steps. I used some of the code I saw before for the Droid's 3430 chipset, using the OPP steps. The stock kernel has steps built in for up to 1.2Ghz, but if I enable them I can't make it boot, at least on my device.

I can't figure out the voltages either, probably because I fail at hex. If I understood that, it would help me a lot.

Geniusdog254

Jan 2, 2009
St. Louis
me too, seems touch for a while(XXms) take effect, less then that screen acts like nothing touch it. this drived me mad when using Gellery, switch pictures give terrible feeling.
i think this relay to the clock scaling, i will check this out using SetCPU.

thanks for your work!

Hrrm. It sounds like the CPU scaling is staying low, because I see absolutely no change in the touch sensitivity, and I didn't touch any of the code related to it. Try setting the CPU Governor to OnDemand or Performance in SetCPU if it isn't set there already.

occip

Feb 3, 2009
Can you add me in GTalk? geniusdog254@gmail.com

I have some stuff I'd like to ask about. How did you do the OC? Did you change the actual clock in u-boot so everything scales up? Or did you add more VDD_OPP* steps. I used some of the code I saw before for the Droid's 3430 chipset, using the OPP steps. The stock kernel has steps built in for up to 1.2Ghz, but if I enable them I can't make it boot, at least on my device.

I can't figure out the voltages either, probably because I fail at hex. If I understood that, it would help me a lot.

diff is available http://nookdevs.com/NookColor:_Nookie_Froyo_Tips#Overclock_.5B100.25_untested_on_this_system.5D

Reactions: Geniusdog254

Geniusdog254

Jan 2, 2009
St. Louis

GarJones27

Jul 7, 2007
Definitely going to try this out. Thanks for the work. I'll report back with comments/questions/concerns.

brie987

Tried to install via clockwork and I keep getting errors unable to install. an I missing something?

sent from my nookcolor using the xda app

+1 I am getting the same. It installs half way then stops with a big exclamation mark, asks me to shut down and restart. I would love to try this. Any ideas?

EDIT: OK got it. CWM updated to 3005 and now it can go into recovery was on 3002 which did not.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Title says a helluva lot ;-)

READ THIS WHOLE POST AND THE WHOLE POST AFTER IT!

Features:
    • All steps undervolted about 25%. Should be stable still
    • The table is currently 300, 600, 950mhz until I can make it scale more than 3 steps.
    • The voltage for 950Mhz is less than at stock for 800Mhz, so you should see better battery life even though we're overclocked.
    • Display flicker fixed (or at least toned down, it can't be completely eliminated with the LED backlighting)
    • Scheduler tweaks backported from later kernel versions
    • Some governor tweaks of my own for responsiveness

To install this, just flash the zip in ClockworkMod. This shouldn't harm your device, but I make no promises. I trust it enough to run it on my device, if that means anything to y'all. I also attached a zip to flash back to the stock kernel (..but why would you break my heart by doing so..? ;P).

Next Up:
    • I REALLY want to get 1Ghz+ working, and my code is sound (I'm sure of that) but it won't boot on my device. I think I just need to find the right voltage, or I could have a bad die for OC'ing. This is the first thing I will work on.
    • Maybe the interactive CPU governor
    • Look into the 2-point touch limitation

Source:
    Source is available on my GitHub at https://github.com/geniusdog254/Quickie

I will not flat out ask for donations, however I do appreciate them. So if you're feeling generous or appreciate my work then it would help me out a lot if you could donate. I have my game Reflex-A-Tron on the Market for $1 if you'd like to donate like that, or there is a link under my name on the left side to donate, and one in my signature. The one on the left and in my signature is to donate via PayPal. Any amount is appreciated, but please don't feel obligated.

You can contact me here via PM, on Twitter @geniusdog254, or email me at geniusdog254@gmail.com. Email or Twitter is the preferred method, because I really despise the XDA PM system.

Disclaimer:
    If this breaks your Nook, kills your family/pets, or starts global thermonuclear war, do not blame me. You have been warned. If you break your device and blame me, I will point at you and laugh.
    Changelog:

1-11-11 - Screamer:
    • Overclock to 950Mhz. Still chokes at 1Ghz, which tells me it's probably my device. 950 is stable.
    • Temp sensor drivers. Thanks to the Nookie FroYo guys!
    • Updated to 2.6.29.6.
    • Scheduling tweaks from 2.6.31.
    • Code idle time from 2.6.34.
    • Scaling fixed. Now scales properly between all 3 CPU levels. Adding more than 3 makes it choke for some reason. I'll look into it.
    • Test version set at 1Ghz added. Just because it doesn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for you. Don't get your hopes up though, I've tried making it work every way from Sunday

Notes:
    • Screen WILL be unresponsive immediately after a boot. Just lock the device for several seconds, unlock it, and all will be fine until another reboot. I blame B&N, it happens with all custom kernels.
    • Yes, I know there are more versions of this kernel than there are Windows Vista. The middle one is the recommended one. If your Nook can't run at 950Mhz (crashing often, or just won't boot) try the one with the 900mhz tag. If you wanna try and push it higher, try the 1Ghz one. Be warned: very little success is reported with the 1Ghz kernel. The top level of these chips seems to be right around ~925-975Mhz. Very few devices will be able to hit 1Ghz.
    • You should probably wipe your cache partition after flashing this. You won't lose anything, and many people are reporting that it makes things more stable at the higher freqs for them.

MD5 Sums:
    • stock-1.0.1-kernel.zip — 78ccf8ab0cd35b988cc9a81bd8bbc310
    • quickie-1ghz-test.zip — 7076a88cae2229910478e698c0e19435
    • quickie-screamer.zip — 22e8c2cc21e42cca1d18377a92b49540
    • quickie-900mhz.zip — 40362515da86cb4baea37b0bc6358feb
    OP updated with a new version. Changelog in post 2.

Also added a 1Ghz test version as requested. This is the best I've ever got it to go, but it still won't boot. It shows the N, starts the first frame of the boot animation, and then locks up. Every time, never fail. Stepping it back to 950Mhz fixes it, and it's stable, so I'm keeping it there unless I can prove 1Ghz+ stable.
    Loss of touch sensitivity

Figured out that the Nook doesn't like scaling below 300mhz. Upped the minimum back to it. Also fixed the display flicker by changing refresh rate in the driver. No more need for a script to run at boot to fix it.

Still working on other things. Threw in a few scheduler tweaks. I think some of the CPU scaling issues are because of the CPU governor, I have a fix, maybe.

Source is also up on my github.