[KERNEL] [GPL] Quickie - Flashable Overclock Kernel - "Screamer"

Search This thread
K

kenny98023

No screamer or 1ghz for me. Snow day works, good enough for now.

Screamer worked for me but the touch screen lost it's sensitivity just like the Nookie on my Nook. I now have to push pretty hard to get touches to register where the stock Nook color kernel lets me just brush the screen and get touch to register. Not to bad but it does take time to get used to

Dec 22, 2010
Screamer worked for me but the touch screen lost it's sensitivity just like the Nookie on my Nook. I now have to push pretty hard to get touches to register where the stock Nook color kernel lets me just brush the screen and get touch to register. Not to bad but it does take time to get used to

You did try the turn your screen off manually, wait a few seconds, and turn your screen back on trick? If not I have to question your reading comprehension :D

You did try the turn your screen off manually, wait a few seconds, and turn your screen back on trick? If not I have to question your reading comprehension :D

Thanks I forgot to do that tip, it works great just like Nookie, I used that tip on Nookie but I hadn't used Nookie in over a week so I had forgotten it. Thanks for all your hard work! Hopefully we can find out what the stock kernel does to fix the first on / touch issues.

Geniusdog254

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
St. Louis
No screamer or 1ghz for me. Snow day works, good enough for now.

Bummer. That means it is really at the top levels for the 3621's right around ~900-1000Mhz.

The old OMAP34xx chips were insanely overclockable. I had OC'd my Droid 1 (550Mhz stock) up to 1.2Ghz. Not getting a 2.4X OC on these chips, thats for damn sure lol.

pfcwintergreen said:

This comment was a win.. lol. But yeah, try that. It should fix the issue, it has for everyone I know.

norkoastal

Dec 7, 2007
Bay Area

Thats wierd, mine is super sensitive after a screen off/on cycle after boot..

K

kenny98023

Even if only Snow Day works for me I gotta say thanks for your time and hard work!

Side Note: It really is snow day here in Seattle right now, got about 2 inches over the last 2 hours.

K

kenny98023

Mine was boot looping as well. Had to interrupt it into Rom Manager.

camwinnn

Jul 23, 2009
anyway to get this working in the froyo build?

Couldnt even manage getting froyo to go into recovery, Not sure on that but tired.

Happy to see it break 1k without it tho ;P funny cause stock hit 991 but i could see in the frame rates +2 on everything, never knew 10 would show a difference like that.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 249

oakleyrdc

Feb 24, 2010
When I try to flash this in recovery, It starts the installation and then says installation aborted. Anyone else get this.

BunnyJ

Dec 5, 2010
I flashed the 1Ghz, and it boots just fine. Used setcpu to set min/max speeds to 1GHz on performance. Ran quadrant and found that I get a slightly lower score ~930, compared to ~960 with screamer. For reference, using the same techniques with the stock kernel I get ~830.

Thanks!!

lanteau

Feb 18, 2009
Screamer also doesn't work for me. Stuck at the nook logo. Can you release a zip with all the changes of screamer just 900mhz instead of 950?

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using XDA App

wretchedlocket

May 19, 2010
Tulsa
jjis.me
I was having serious response issues with the touch sensor. Used setCPU to set the speed to ondemand, rebooted and everything is good now

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using XDA App

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
What does clearing cache do? I want to try screamer, but I'm not sure if there's anything in cache that might be missed once it's gone.

Nope - Cache is just a system cache, and has nothing that cannot be recreated by the system. Wipe safely.

Note - it is the data portion that has everything that you do NOT want to wipe...

kamillion

Feb 8, 2010
Nice

Screamer worked for me after a short Boot loop so I decided to try the 1 GHz test kernel. It didn't boot at first but after clearing Cache and Dalvik it loaded up fine. I Changed the settings in Set CPU to reflect overclock and everything is good now.(except for screen sensitivity as stated earlier)

p.s. I used Rom Manager to install the Kernel, not sure if that helps anything and also screen doesn't smoothly transition when powering down that about it. Thanks for the Kernel looking forward to whats on the horizon!

Mbarland

Oct 10, 2010
Flashed screamer, works beautifully, though i do get the screen issue which is resolved with the lock and unlock procedure. Tried 1ghz and it wouldnt get past the n. I will try wiping cache and dalvik and report back, but 950 seems to be running great.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Title says a helluva lot ;-)

READ THIS WHOLE POST AND THE WHOLE POST AFTER IT!

Features:
    • All steps undervolted about 25%. Should be stable still
    • The table is currently 300, 600, 950mhz until I can make it scale more than 3 steps.
    • The voltage for 950Mhz is less than at stock for 800Mhz, so you should see better battery life even though we're overclocked.
    • Display flicker fixed (or at least toned down, it can't be completely eliminated with the LED backlighting)
    • Scheduler tweaks backported from later kernel versions
    • Some governor tweaks of my own for responsiveness

To install this, just flash the zip in ClockworkMod. This shouldn't harm your device, but I make no promises. I trust it enough to run it on my device, if that means anything to y'all. I also attached a zip to flash back to the stock kernel (..but why would you break my heart by doing so..? ;P).

Next Up:
    • I REALLY want to get 1Ghz+ working, and my code is sound (I'm sure of that) but it won't boot on my device. I think I just need to find the right voltage, or I could have a bad die for OC'ing. This is the first thing I will work on.
    • Maybe the interactive CPU governor
    • Look into the 2-point touch limitation

Source:
    Source is available on my GitHub at https://github.com/geniusdog254/Quickie

I will not flat out ask for donations, however I do appreciate them. So if you're feeling generous or appreciate my work then it would help me out a lot if you could donate. I have my game Reflex-A-Tron on the Market for $1 if you'd like to donate like that, or there is a link under my name on the left side to donate, and one in my signature. The one on the left and in my signature is to donate via PayPal. Any amount is appreciated, but please don't feel obligated.

You can contact me here via PM, on Twitter @geniusdog254, or email me at geniusdog254@gmail.com. Email or Twitter is the preferred method, because I really despise the XDA PM system.

Disclaimer:
    If this breaks your Nook, kills your family/pets, or starts global thermonuclear war, do not blame me. You have been warned. If you break your device and blame me, I will point at you and laugh.
    Changelog:

1-11-11 - Screamer:
    • Overclock to 950Mhz. Still chokes at 1Ghz, which tells me it's probably my device. 950 is stable.
    • Temp sensor drivers. Thanks to the Nookie FroYo guys!
    • Updated to 2.6.29.6.
    • Scheduling tweaks from 2.6.31.
    • Code idle time from 2.6.34.
    • Scaling fixed. Now scales properly between all 3 CPU levels. Adding more than 3 makes it choke for some reason. I'll look into it.
    • Test version set at 1Ghz added. Just because it doesn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for you. Don't get your hopes up though, I've tried making it work every way from Sunday

Notes:
    • Screen WILL be unresponsive immediately after a boot. Just lock the device for several seconds, unlock it, and all will be fine until another reboot. I blame B&N, it happens with all custom kernels.
    • Yes, I know there are more versions of this kernel than there are Windows Vista. The middle one is the recommended one. If your Nook can't run at 950Mhz (crashing often, or just won't boot) try the one with the 900mhz tag. If you wanna try and push it higher, try the 1Ghz one. Be warned: very little success is reported with the 1Ghz kernel. The top level of these chips seems to be right around ~925-975Mhz. Very few devices will be able to hit 1Ghz.
    • You should probably wipe your cache partition after flashing this. You won't lose anything, and many people are reporting that it makes things more stable at the higher freqs for them.

MD5 Sums:
    • stock-1.0.1-kernel.zip — 78ccf8ab0cd35b988cc9a81bd8bbc310
    • quickie-1ghz-test.zip — 7076a88cae2229910478e698c0e19435
    • quickie-screamer.zip — 22e8c2cc21e42cca1d18377a92b49540
    • quickie-900mhz.zip — 40362515da86cb4baea37b0bc6358feb
    OP updated with a new version. Changelog in post 2.

Also added a 1Ghz test version as requested. This is the best I've ever got it to go, but it still won't boot. It shows the N, starts the first frame of the boot animation, and then locks up. Every time, never fail. Stepping it back to 950Mhz fixes it, and it's stable, so I'm keeping it there unless I can prove 1Ghz+ stable.
    Loss of touch sensitivity

I loaded up the new kernel via Clockwork and all went smoothly with the install. I noticed immediately that my touch sensitivity has decreased. I now have to press and hold just about as long as you would press and hold to bring up a context menu or something. If I don't do that, my touch is ignored and not registered.

Interestingly enough, when I type an email on the keyboard, it recognizes my typing very quickly. No apparent loss of sensitivity when I'm using the keyboard. I wonder why and how that is???

I guess I need to recalibrate the screen again to regain sensitivity.

I did notice that Castle Crashers frame-rate has improved a good bit with the overclock. It's a noticeable and welcome difference.

Angry birds was a bit annoying to play with the loss of screen sensitivity.

Edit: I alleviated the loss of touch sensitivity by installing the LCDDensity app from the Android Marketplace and selecting a density of 200.
    Figured out that the Nook doesn't like scaling below 300mhz. Upped the minimum back to it. Also fixed the display flicker by changing refresh rate in the driver. No more need for a script to run at boot to fix it.

Still working on other things. Threw in a few scheduler tweaks. I think some of the CPU scaling issues are because of the CPU governor, I have a fix, maybe.

Source is also up on my github.