FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

[REF] Tutorial: How to partition sd card to run wp7 and android from same sd card

109 posts
Thanks Meter: 87

By darrengladysz, Senior Member on 14th January 2011, 09:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th January 2011, 08:36 AM |#61  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gencaslan

i have only one sd-card adapter so i can't mount both cards at the same time. is this necessary ? so i'm tryin now to handle thiw with dd from http://www.chrysocome.net/dd.

i flashed wp7 and now i'm copying the image of the resulted sd card from usb to my harddrive an then i'll try to copy the created image on my bigger card and format the free space. hopefully this will work. i'll give a feedback if it works.

Hey Gen, I had that issue too when I initially was setting up my cards. I ended up using my hd2 and my external card reader (my pc came with a crappy card reader that ended up becoming useless).

If you try this method make sure you DO NOT boot into WP7 until your card is ready. I would pull up the MAGLDR menu (hold the red button when booting phone) and then choose USB Mass Storage. Connect your USB cord from your computer to your phone and you're straight. Let us know how that churns out

16th January 2011, 09:07 AM |#62  
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal

Donate to Me
More
Oh so that workaround does work? Did you try adjusting your APN settings for the mobile network issue?

Weird issue with the phone not being able to read my sim card. So phone and network are not working.

Tried other build in 1st post and no problem.

Build is Mccm hd desire 4 - very nice btw.
16th January 2011, 09:18 AM |#63  

More
Good news Darren I finally got it haha! I remember reading somewhere someone mentioning it's recommended to partition the drive with the windows partition tool versus a 3rd party program.

What I did was connect to USB Mass Storage through MAGLDR, then pulled up "My Computer", right clicked on sd card, chose format and set is as FAT32 with 64KB and quick format checked.

After this I went and got a copy of Dom's recommended Core Droid, modified the rootfs.img file per instructions here, and then copied the build to my SD Card.

I then went back to MAGLDR's main menu, went down to "9. Services", then chose "1.Boot Services" then "3.AD SD Dir" and from there chose the fresh Android folder I just placed onto my sd card.

That took me back to the main menu - from here I chose "2. Boot Android SD" waited about 10 minutes and BAM! it loaded up.

So the whole point and what I think the main culprit was - the formatting. After I re-formatted my FAT32 partition with the Windows tool as described above it worked. Now onto the experimentation - PSFreedom anyone? haha
16th January 2011, 09:31 AM |#64  
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 14

More
UPDATE :

you don't really need dd if you don't need backup.

1. install wp7 nand with the smaller card inside.
2. put the bigger card in the phone and the smaller card in your card-reader. select mass storage mode and copy the unallocated partition over from the smaller card to the bigger cards end with the partition manager.
3. create a fat32 partition at the beginning of the bigger card.

done

Preparation :

Download command-line tool dd from http://www.chrysocome.net/dd and extract to a folder on your computer C:\dd-0.6beta3

Download the partition manager from http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm and install.

1. Flash WP7 with smaller sd-card mounted in your mobile device. (about 10 - 20 minutes)

2. make an image of your sd.

Open a Console
XP : Start -> Execute -> cmd.exe .
Win7 : Start -> Enter in Searchfield -> cmd.exe

change to the folder where dd was extracted to

Quote:

cd C:\dd-0.6beta3

mount the sd-card in an (usb) sd-adapter. the command is described in http://www.chrysocome.net/dd "Read the entire USB memory device" BUT use at least bs=4M as block size if you use 1M it will take hours. (about 5 -10 mins)
you can try greater values as 4M as the usb2-standard allows up to 30M per second (see http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm#4). 8M is optimum for me.
Quote:

C:\dd-0.6beta3>dd if=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 of=c:\dd-0.6beta3\usb2.img bs=8M --size --progress

3. write image to bigger card. put bigger card in the (usb) sd-adapter and execute the following command. (about 5 -10 minutes)
Quote:

C:\dd-0.6beta3>dd of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 if=c:\dd-0.6beta3\usb2.img bs=8M --size --progress

4. use the partiotion manager to copy the wp7 partition to the unallocated space at the end of the bigger sd-card. make it NOT primary. ( 20 - 30 minutes)

5. delete the 200MB fat16 and the first wp7 partition. (few seconds)

6. create fat32 partition with the partition tool on the unallocated space . select it as primary. (few seconds)

credits to all uf us.

you can skip step one if you did an image once. so the whole process takes about an hour. also you can use the image-file as backup if you mess around with wp7 or ruin your card or something. just copy back the image on a new card.

Take a look at Fmstrats usefull tips.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=416
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gencaslan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gencaslan Ad-Free
16th January 2011, 09:38 AM |#65  

More
Quote:

ok that seems to speed up the process. and it works.

1. Flass WP7 with small sd-card inside. (about 10 - 20 minutes)
2. make an image of your sd. the command is described in http://www.chrysocome.net/dd "Read the entire USB memory device" BUT use at least bs=4M as block size if you use 1M it will take hours. (about 5 mins)
you can try greater values as 4M as the usb2-standard allows up to 30M per second (see http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm#4). but i tried 4M for now.
3. write image to bigger card (about 5 minutes)
4. create fat32 partiotion with the partition tool on the unallocated space (10 seconds)

credits to all uf us.

Wow what an accomplishment great job gen. Are you up and running now? lol You did a lot better than I - it took me nearly 5 hours with partitioning and whatnot to get to where I am. From what I can see it looks like the whole process didn't even come close to an hour for you
16th January 2011, 02:59 PM |#66  
Flag Shanghai
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsy

thought of this method, and you wrote it up with tutorial which makes 100% sense

what builds have been tested so far that are able to boot from SD card?

does SUPERRAM 1.5 work?

Yes ,use the modified intrid,search the thread~~
The Following User Says Thank You to taizh21038 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift taizh21038 Ad-Free
16th January 2011, 03:46 PM |#67  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:

UPDATE : ok here's the solution. after step 3 use the partiotion manager to copy the wp7 partition to the unallocated space. that takes 20 - 30 minutes.

No card reader here so was only able to access one SD card at a time, is working just fine for me, WP7 on Nand and Desire Z on SD, followde all your instructions and the step above.

Thankyou for posting
16th January 2011, 04:46 PM |#68  
Flag Land of the Z1/EVO3D/GTAB10.1(2)
Thanks Meter: 960

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by taizh21038

Yes ,use the modified intrid,search the thread~~

ok thanks

i will partition this tonight and see how it goes...

i saw an initrid attachment in 1 of the posts here, can i just replace and use that?

anyways, i used a 256MB SD Card (because I cant seem to find another one) and managed to boot

then Im going to move that 256MB sdcard partition to my 16GB Sandisk

can I expand it while moving?
16th January 2011, 05:02 PM |#69  
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsy

ok thanks

i will partition this tonight and see how it goes...

i saw an initrid attachment in 1 of the posts here, can i just replace and use that?

anyways, i used a 256MB SD Card (because I cant seem to find another one) and managed to boot

then Im going to move that 256MB sdcard partition to my 16GB Sandisk

can I expand it while moving?

Don't waste your time with 256 mb sd. It is far too little for wp7. Might as well start wp7 without sd. I would say 4-8gb min to get useful use out of wp7.

No, there are no known ways to expand it so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to darrengladysz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift darrengladysz Ad-Free
16th January 2011, 05:10 PM |#70  
Flag Land of the Z1/EVO3D/GTAB10.1(2)
Thanks Meter: 960

Donate to Me
More
thanks for the heads up so far

i was able to boot into WM7 using the 256MB SD however, like you said, it wouldnt bring much fulfilment in doing anything and if no expansion is possible, might as well wait for a higher capacity card

anyways, proof of concept was succesful

anyways, i will continue this tomorrow when i find at least 1GB or 2GB micro SD for this purpose and fall back to utilize my WM6.5+SUPERAM1.5 combination now.

thanks again (+1 button)
16th January 2011, 05:16 PM |#71  
Thanks Meter: 56

More
I can't get the phone (call/text/3g) to work on core droid...

I tried running MDJ 4.6...had to edit the init.rc here too.
Result: The same as Core Droid...runs fast and smooth, every hardware works (wifi, camera, camcorder, gps, 3g, sound ...) ONLY THE PHONE DOES NOT WORK

The build darren pointed to in the first thread works FULLY for me too.

What I found is that this build is the only one that has its init.rc file in the system.ext2 image...maybe this makes a difference...I don't know...I will stick with this build for now...

EDIT: WORKS NOW. Thx to Daysey who supplied me with the correct init.rc file. The editing of the init.rc has to be done different...I found out what has to be done different and changed the tutorial...But don't worry about the how, just take the attached init.rc file if you want, it works now with this file!!!!!

Credits to Daysey.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
dual boot, wp7 and android

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)