FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[REF][Sticky][Must See][First Time XDA][4" Across][Deepest Blacks][Hardest Glass]

266 posts
Thanks Meter: 210

By plapczyn, Retired Recognized Developer on 8th January 2011, 06:12 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th January 2011, 01:11 AM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by plapczyn

Haha, thats awesome. I might steal that for the tutorial if you are ok with it.

lol, i got it off the internets..... have fun

10th January 2011, 06:29 PM |#32  
Flag Tucson,Arizona.
Thanks Meter: 1,206

Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up Good Class :)
Even Tho, i figured everything out by reading all the threads, i enjoyed reading your First class, cant wait for the new classes to read.

Awesome this got stickied, great work and will definitely help noobs and others.

Awesome Write UP
10th January 2011, 06:33 PM |#33  
Flag Tucson,Arizona.
Thanks Meter: 1,206

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BopChie

Nice, only thing is there should be an x over the new thread button or that other symbol thing thats on do not enter signs lol forgot what it was called.
15th January 2011, 05:53 PM |#34  
Flag virginia beach
Thanks Meter: 1

Donate to Me
More
not much a noob but sort of but i got to hand it to all the devs here they do a great job and keep it up
15th January 2011, 10:41 PM |#35  
Flag st. charles Missouri
Thanks Meter: 163

More
From a noob point of view!!!! the search bar is not always your best friend. i have done search after search and either come up with nothing or it does not come up with the info i am in need of (a diff phone) Goggle can sometimes be the same way. I have yet to find the info that I'm looking for and yes i might not be putting the right set of key words in, but how many different ways can to search for (decompile zimage or unpack zimage)

but with that said i have found some very useful info =====> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=885048

I feel if no one is going to post a real tutorial on how to do things this link should be added to the OP as it has been the best thing i have found so far. (and look it not even in the epic forum)

This is my >10 th post for fear of being flamed for asking a what is perceived to being a stupid question so let the flaming begin!!!!!!

I hate the fact that all i seem to be doing is (stealing) other peoples bakes but would really like to make my own recipes but need mush help from the devs (chiefs)

really looking forward to the rest of this thank you for your incite

sorry afterthough - some people are learners by doing and not by reading ( like me ) so walk throughs like the one i posted above are appreciated
17th January 2011, 03:38 AM |#36  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Brighton, MI
Thanks Meter: 210

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdwiz18

From a noob point of view!!!! the search bar is not always your best friend. i have done search after search and either come up with nothing or it does not come up with the info i am in need of (a diff phone) Goggle can sometimes be the same way. I have yet to find the info that I'm looking for and yes i might not be putting the right set of key words in, but how many different ways can to search for (decompile zimage or unpack zimage)

but with that said i have found some very useful info =====> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=885048

I feel if no one is going to post a real tutorial on how to do things this link should be added to the OP as it has been the best thing i have found so far. (and look it not even in the epic forum)

This is my >10 th post for fear of being flamed for asking a what is perceived to being a stupid question so let the flaming begin!!!!!!

I hate the fact that all i seem to be doing is (stealing) other peoples bakes but would really like to make my own recipes but need mush help from the devs (chiefs)

really looking forward to the rest of this thank you for your incite

sorry afterthough - some people are learners by doing and not by reading ( like me ) so walk throughs like the one i posted above are appreciated

I'm not entirely sure what your point is there. I agree you can't always find everything, BUT you should ALWAYS search BEFORE starting a new thread. Creating your own ROM is not something for noobs to be doing. There are actually many threads, and in fact a whole forum dedicated to making android ROMs. Before doing something you should first understand what it is you are intending on doing. What are you intending on doing with an unpacked zimage? You could always search for what you are trying to do with it, like modify the init.rc script, etc. You say you are having an issue finding how to unpack the kernel. Try typing "extract zimage" into the search box. These are the first two links.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...fs_from_zImage
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=853538

Search is your friend. You just have to learn how to tame the beast.
The Following User Says Thank You to plapczyn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift plapczyn Ad-Free
17th January 2011, 04:16 AM |#37  
Flag st. charles Missouri
Thanks Meter: 163

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by plapczyn

I'm not entirely sure what your point is there. I agree you can't always find everything, BUT you should ALWAYS search BEFORE starting a new thread. Creating your own ROM is not something for noobs to be doing. There are actually many threads, and in fact a whole forum dedicated to making android ROMs. Before doing something you should first understand what it is you are intending on doing. What are you intending on doing with an unpacked zimage? You could always search for what you are trying to do with it, like modify the init.rc script, etc. You say you are having an issue finding how to unpack the kernel. Try typing "extract zimage" into the search box. These are the first two links.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...fs_from_zImage
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=853538

Search is your friend. You just have to learn how to tame the beast.

You are very correct! i do believe the search should be the first thing done. BUT it is not always forth coming.

My point ( i Guess ) is that all the good stuff is found outside the epic forum. as with the thread i posted above. and that the tread i posted above should (fi i understand what this (your) tread is for) be posted to the tutorial. There are no epic specific tutorials on how to dev. It seems that very few ( not none) are willing to pass on the torch to the noobs that are willing to learn form scratch.

As far as to what i want to do. LEARN thats all. i want to learn how to do what the others are doing (building). i know i lack the Linux know how and even the c+ and jave but that should not deter someone form just jumping in. I learn best by doing "take it apart and rebuild". ( my reading and eye skills are not on par) but i want to TRY.

regardless thank you for your help and i will look at the links you posted. This is just my opinion and not meant to burn anyone.
10th February 2011, 12:17 AM |#38  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I though the only decided rules were
Rule 1
Rule 2
And rule 34?
16th February 2011, 11:24 PM |#39  
yucaipa
Thanks Meter: 49

More
Thank ya much
Ive been looking around xda for a month now......i have 3 kids ....2,5,and 7 and still manage to google/search before i even think about posting a thread about my issue.....learned how to root.....how to dabble internally with my phone and ect.....everything i have learned (how to build comps,hacking psp,.....ect) ive done by searching and reading with all my kids yelling at each other, making dinner, cleaning.....ya sometimes i stay up till the wee hours just to get some peace and quiet while searching but hey whats a girl to do.... So just a shot out to all you devs thanks for the hard work and patients with us noobs......and to the noobs......dont take it soo hard when someone gets a bit snippy with ya....brush off your shoulder and move on...who knows maybe that guy just had a bad day lol.
18th February 2011, 07:38 PM |#40  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
My biggest problem has been when there is a 500 page thread and the original post is never updated with the new info that is dispersed throughout the massive thread.

And people get upset because someone posting a reply doesn't know the bug in the first post was fixed in a post on page 365.

Oh and the other thing has a workaround that is posted on page 419.

If you start a thread and people find known bugs/issues or fixes/solutions, take the time to update the first post with the relevant info.

I can't blame someone for not wanting to read 500 pages of posts to find 2 answers when those answers could have been added the original post. Thus making the original post an actually useful guide.
The Following User Says Thank You to subtex For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift subtex Ad-Free
21st February 2011, 07:03 AM |#41  
Flag Buffalo NY
Thanks Meter: 92

More
What is HiApk?Is it a rom like Cyanogen?
The reason im asking is:because when I turn on "Root Access" in Estrong's File Manager options it asks me to select "Cyanogen Mod" or "HiApk Rom".

I googled and found almost no info-none that was in english anyway.Is HiApk Rom like Asian Cyanogen equivalent or something?

Here is link to it http://www.hiapk.com/bbs/thread-9751-1-1.html ,ES File Manager says that it only supports Cyanogen or HiAPK,it gotta be something big if it compares it to CM bit how come nobody is talkin about it?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
guide, ref, sticky

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)