[APK] Official Thread for Keep The Lights On 1.3 (Free Version)

Search This thread

Guardian_Bob

Oct 15, 2010
If you want to donate, or more features, check out Keep The Lights On Pro.

What does it do?
Keep The Lights On is a simple app that performs one function. It keeps the LEDs behind the buttons on a Captivate or similar phone on while the screen is on.

That seems stupid, why would anyone do that?
Well, try finding those buttons in the dark. While the stock ROM turns on the LEDs when you touch the screen, the i9000 based ROMs do not. In addition, most i9000 ROMs have a timeout of 3 seconds.

Doesn't that waste battery?
Depends on what you mean by waste. So first you have to understand the scale of battery consumption I'm talking about. LEDs, especially surface mount ones, draw very little power. How little? Assuming typical LEDs, we're talking 5 milliamps at 3.3 volts. Given that there are 4 LEDs, that means the total power consumption is 0.005 * 3.3 * 4 or 0.066 watts. The CPU consumes between 100 and 1000 milliamps, again at 3.3 volts meaning it uses between 0.33 and 3.3 watts. That's 5-50 times as much power, and that's before adding in the backlight, radio, etc. While yes, technically this uses a little more power, the scale is so small that for all intents and purposes it isn't going to make a difference in your life. Seeing the buttons clearly though, that takes frustration out of your life. Seems like a reasonable trade off.

Does it work with other BLN things like Blinky or BLN Pro?
Yes. This uses a different way to handle the BLN than both those apps. In fact it only requires a rooted ROM with these lights to work. So that means it should work for i9000, Fascinate, Captivate, Vibrant, etc. This should even work with the stock ROM given it is rooted.

If it works for all those phones, why is this just in the Captivate Section?
Well, I only have one phone right now to test with. That is my personal Captivate.

Why are you giving this away for free? Are you drunk? Does it use ads?
To answer the second question first, sometimes but not right now. This is free because I like making people's lives easier. I do not believe in advertisement based products, so you'll never see that from me. If you want to give something back, consider the donate button or buy the Pro version.

I installed it but didn't the app in my list of apps. Is it broken?
Short answer, no. This is a widget based app. Simply add the widget and click it to change the light behavior. You can even remove the widget and it'll remember your preference when you start up. That said if you uninstall the app you'll loose the behavior.

I just got an invalid signature error. What do I do?
This is my fault, there was an early version that I didn't sign correctly. Simply uninstall it manually before installing this version from the market.

What other issues exist?
Well there's a few:
  1. I've had one report of the lights flashing instead of staying solid when turning the screen on. If this user hits one of the buttons the lights will stay on. I'm working on a way to fix this, I haven't found the cause as of yet.
  2. There's a superuser notice every once in a while. This is easy to turn off in the superuser app, and will be fixed in the pro version.
  3. There's been one report of clicking a link in andchat causes the lights to go out. I haven't been able to reproduce it yet.
If you find a problem not on this list, feel free to let me know.

What other features are in this app?
None; however, I'm always open to new ideas. Be warned though, they may go into the pro version.

How do I get this app?
From the market, or here:

Keep The Lights On
by Guardian Bob

wvmstr

Jul 15, 2010
Suggestion

I have not tried your app yet, but I have a suggestion.

If you could turn on or off each individual LED, rather than all on or all off, then you could consider using each button to indicate something different.

Home - new email
Menu - new text
Back - missed call

Maybe you can even make them blink?

LightningGA

Nov 25, 2010
Albany, NY

If you could turn on or off each individual LED, rather than all on or all off, then you could consider using each button to indicate something different.

Home - new email
Menu - new text
Back - missed call

What would be the point of that with this app.....it turns the lights on when the screen is on, if the screen is on then you have those same notifications at the top of the screen already.

Though I guess it might be useful for some if those additions were made to Guardian Bob's BLINKY APP.

Reactions: Guardian_Bob

taylorbarstow

Jan 18, 2011
Support for Galaxy Tablet

First off, thanks for your efforts!! This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Any chance you will be able to support this on the galaxy tablet? I am happy to help in any way I can - I am a developer (though I haven't done much android development). I have a rooted device with busy box... if there's anything I can do to help you figure out this device, please let me know!

lotherius

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6
Crazy me, I would honestly like to be able to DISABLE these lights. I watch movies and do other things a lot in the dark, and these bright white lights randomly popping up on my phone are very distracting. Since they can be turned ON manually, does that mean perhaps they can be turned OFF as well?

fivefour

Jun 7, 2010
Emerald Coast
bit.ly
Crazy me, I would honestly like to be able to DISABLE these lights. I watch movies and do other things a lot in the dark, and these bright white lights randomly popping up on my phone are very distracting. Since they can be turned ON manually, does that mean perhaps they can be turned OFF as well?

In a su'd terminal enter this:

Code:
echo "0" > /sys/devices/platform/button-backlight/leds/button-backlight/brightness

Change the 0 to 1 to re-enable.

TheBronze

Sep 9, 2008
Lovin it. One of the pet peeves of this device was the short duration on the home keys.

How about this as as Pro suggestion (if possible):
Control brightness level when LEDs are on.
My cuz has a DINC and i absolutely LOVE the brightness of his home keys. Super easy to see. Possible?

rodnav

Feb 17, 2004
Good job, but i was wondering if there's an opposite app, one that turns off the led buttons even when the screen is touched? What for? For reading ebooks in the dark, the led buttons hurt the eyes even when the screen has been adjusted to the lowest light level. Thank

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

Jan 22, 2011
Great app, just what I'm looking for, but I can't seem to get/or find the widget. I installed the free version, but the "open" is greyed out. What am I doing wrong?

Guardian_Bob

Oct 15, 2010
FYI -
I'm working on tasker support for the pro version right now (well not right now, I'm taking a moment from that work to update people) but when I finish this I'll continue working on my beer, watching the Packers vs the Bears and keep working on adding tasker/locale support.

Spidious

Apr 16, 2009
Champaign, IL
Mine stopped working, Not sure why. I have the widget and it will light up or un-light. But it will no longer keep the lights on. Any suggestions on figuring out why ?

LightningGA

Nov 25, 2010
Albany, NY
Well you can rule out the latest speedmod kernel (Q) and Phoenix 4.1 because that's what im running and my KTLO still works fine.

Sent from my phone from the future running on Phoenix!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you want to donate, or more features, check out Keep The Lights On Pro.

What does it do?
    Keep The Lights On is a simple app that performs one function. It keeps the LEDs behind the buttons on a Captivate or similar phone on while the screen is on.

That seems stupid, why would anyone do that?
    Well, try finding those buttons in the dark. While the stock ROM turns on the LEDs when you touch the screen, the i9000 based ROMs do not. In addition, most i9000 ROMs have a timeout of 3 seconds.

Doesn't that waste battery?
    Depends on what you mean by waste. So first you have to understand the scale of battery consumption I'm talking about. LEDs, especially surface mount ones, draw very little power. How little? Assuming typical LEDs, we're talking 5 milliamps at 3.3 volts. Given that there are 4 LEDs, that means the total power consumption is 0.005 * 3.3 * 4 or 0.066 watts. The CPU consumes between 100 and 1000 milliamps, again at 3.3 volts meaning it uses between 0.33 and 3.3 watts. That's 5-50 times as much power, and that's before adding in the backlight, radio, etc. While yes, technically this uses a little more power, the scale is so small that for all intents and purposes it isn't going to make a difference in your life. Seeing the buttons clearly though, that takes frustration out of your life. Seems like a reasonable trade off.

Does it work with other BLN things like Blinky or BLN Pro?
    Yes. This uses a different way to handle the BLN than both those apps. In fact it only requires a rooted ROM with these lights to work. So that means it should work for i9000, Fascinate, Captivate, Vibrant, etc. This should even work with the stock ROM given it is rooted.

If it works for all those phones, why is this just in the Captivate Section?
    Well, I only have one phone right now to test with. That is my personal Captivate.

Why are you giving this away for free? Are you drunk? Does it use ads?
    To answer the second question first, sometimes but not right now. This is free because I like making people's lives easier. I do not believe in advertisement based products, so you'll never see that from me. If you want to give something back, consider the donate button or buy the Pro version.

I installed it but didn't the app in my list of apps. Is it broken?
    Short answer, no. This is a widget based app. Simply add the widget and click it to change the light behavior. You can even remove the widget and it'll remember your preference when you start up. That said if you uninstall the app you'll loose the behavior.

I just got an invalid signature error. What do I do?
    This is my fault, there was an early version that I didn't sign correctly. Simply uninstall it manually before installing this version from the market.

What other issues exist?
    Well there's a few:
    1. I've had one report of the lights flashing instead of staying solid when turning the screen on. If this user hits one of the buttons the lights will stay on. I'm working on a way to fix this, I haven't found the cause as of yet.
    2. There's a superuser notice every once in a while. This is easy to turn off in the superuser app, and will be fixed in the pro version.
    3. There's been one report of clicking a link in andchat causes the lights to go out. I haven't been able to reproduce it yet.
    If you find a problem not on this list, feel free to let me know.

What other features are in this app?
    None; however, I'm always open to new ideas. Be warned though, they may go into the pro version.

How do I get this app?
    From the market, or here:

Keep The Lights On
    by Guardian Bob
    Great app, just what I'm looking for, but I can't seem to get/or find the widget. I installed the free version, but the "open" is greyed out. What am I doing wrong?

It's a widget, long press your screen, select widget, select KeepTheLightsOn.

Home - new email
    Menu - new text
    Back - missed call

What would be the point of that with this app.....it turns the lights on when the screen is on, if the screen is on then you have those same notifications at the top of the screen already.

Though I guess it might be useful for some if those additions were made to Guardian Bob's BLINKY APP.
    Sorry, to many post going at the same time. Your ktlo works great !

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App