[APP][Update] SGS kernel flasher v1.6.2 - flash a kernel within android

Search This thread

oswade

Jun 18, 2010
working great, have successfully flashed the last few hardcore kernels with this app :)

thanks neldar!

neldar

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
Would this also work with the gt-5500m? If not can you make it work?

I dont think that this app works with the gt-5500.
But you could check that yourself, if there are "bml?" files in /dev/block/, then this app could work.

But i can only state that this app works with the four phones mentioned in the op (and maybe the galaxy tab, too).

tan1415

Nov 29, 2004
I want to flash hardcore speedmod. he has two version., The odin and a CWM mod. Using your method. Which should i use?
The odin zit has the Tar file

techmik67

Aug 19, 2010
Delray Beach, Florida
I have noticed with a couple of kernels, (firebird 2 specifically at the moment), that behave a little strangely with this app. I flashed with it, and when attaching to my pc, it sees external card as removable drive, but internal as write-protected cd. If you use cwm to flash same kernel, both sdcards seen as removable disks.
Hope this helps.... :)

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
I have noticed with a couple of kernels, (firebird 2 specifically at the moment), that behave a little strangely with this app. I flashed with it, and when attaching to my pc, it sees external card as removable drive, but internal as write-protected cd. If you use cwm to flash same kernel, both sdcards seen as removable disks.
Hope this helps.... :)

Kernels that require special preparation of the system by the updater-script should not be flashed with kernel flasher.

It is probably not a good idea to prepare a system for a kernel by an update-script - kernel devs should know that. :rolleyes:
So i can not do much about that in the app, but i will inform designgears about that.

S3nc

Jan 15, 2011
I wondern, can i use this to flash cfroot on a rooted stock 2.2 for gettin cwm? I`m afraid of using odin :D

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

joeshmoe08

Oct 26, 2010
Hmm... nice app, but will this work on gingerbread (I mean the tech demo). It might not but just wanted to know because if it does it would be easy to swith between gb and normal stable rom without computer and odin. Neldar or anyone who has tried the tech demo, does it work?

mastewman

Oct 11, 2010
Noob Questions...

I have a stock 2.2 Vibrant that is rooted and I have made a backup of the stock kernel before I attempt to apply a new kernel. And I'm wanting to make sure that...

1. I can flash the following kernel? (CWM - Kstock+Voodoo-Froyo-T959-UVKA7-unsigned-update.zip)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=870480

2. If I want to return to stock, can I just use SGS Kernel Flasher and restore my stock kernel from the backup?

Thanks...

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
Hmm... nice app, but will this work on gingerbread (I mean the tech demo). It might not but just wanted to know because if it does it would be easy to swith between gb and normal stable rom without computer and odin. Neldar or anyone who has tried the tech demo, does it work?

The kernel flasher does not yet work on gingerbread.

I have a stock 2.2 Vibrant that is rooted and I have made a backup of the stock kernel before I attempt to apply a new kernel. And I'm wanting to make sure that...

1. I can flash the following kernel? (CWM - Kstock+Voodoo-Froyo-T959-UVKA7-unsigned-update.zip)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=870480

2. If I want to return to stock, can I just use SGS Kernel Flasher and restore my stock kernel from the backup?

Thanks...

Yes and yes.

Mr Woolf

Hi neldar,

Is your app OK to use for flashing and removing tegraks kernel??

I want to give the kernel a try, but like to do everything from my phone, and as you can't use cwm zips, would not be able to change back without connecting to my laptop.

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
Hi neldar,

I want to give the kernel a try, but like to do everything from my phone, and as you can't use cwm zips, would not be able to change back without connecting to my laptop.

The app can flash a kernel that supports cwm - you dont have to connect a pc.

For example:
1. root the phone with z4root
2. flash a kernel with cwm recovery
3. use cwm recovery to install a rom
4. use cwm to revert to the backed up stock rom
5. flash the backed up stock kernel with this app
6. remove z4root

And nobody may notice that you changed something at the phone.

max_82

Jan 1, 2011
Hi neldar,

I'm a noob. Can I use it to flash the kernel from this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=804226

I need to backward my kernel to 2e so that I can backup my ROM using nandroid. Thank you.

my captivate:
FW: 2.2
BB: I897UCJI6
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9 jetaek.lee@sep-11 #1
Build number: FROYO.UCJI6

Last edited:

tomeks

Sep 17, 2010
Wroclaw
Hi neldar,

yes, you could install tegrak kernel and go back without any problem (clear dalvik cache from tegrak recovery)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

brack11

Dec 4, 2008
Ljungskile
I have latest sgs kernel flasher, i know it should flash Odin tar files but in my case it doesnt. It says something file type is wrong or failed, but it just doesnt want to work with tars I have to extract them first with AndroZip and then flash zImage. What is wrong?

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
I have latest sgs kernel flasher, i know it should flash Odin tar files but in my case it doesnt. It says something file type is wrong or failed, but it just doesnt want to work with tars I have to extract them first with AndroZip and then flash zImage. What is wrong?

Well, if you change the systems busybox (toolbox) to a busybox version without tar support the extraction will fail.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This application *requires* root.

This app can flash a kernel within android on Samsung i9000, Captivate, Fascinate, Vibrant and more.

Features:
    * backup kernel as update.zip (for recovery)
    * flash kernel from zImage, any .tar or .zip that contains a zImage
    * reboot

Usage:
    backup kernel: creates an update.zip (for recovery) containing a backup of the current kernel with time and date in /sdcard/sgs-kernel-flasher/backup/
    choose kernel: choose kernel image (mostly named zImage) or any .tar or .zip that contains a zImage
    flash kernel: flashes the kernel
    reboot: reboot the phone

Android market: SGS kernel flasher

DISCLAIMER:
    The author of this app is not responsible for any damage to your phone that may be caused by usage of this app or by deficient kernel images.
    And there is another version available:

v1.5.9:
    added: Auto-reboot text clickable
    added: flash verify
    added: more error messages
    fixed: bml blocksize detection on eclair

The 1.5.6 did not work on eclair - please update to 1.5.9.
    I have updated the app one more time:

v1.2.1:
    added: PDA.tar and update.zip file support
    added: choose file starts in /sdcard/sgs-kernel-flasher/
    added: lagfix detection and warning

That means you can now select any .tar or .zip that contains a zImage and the app will automatically extract and flash that zImage.
    Major break through for easy kernel flashing on i9000, Captivate, Fascinate and Vibrant- please propagate this awesome news. :)

Btw. the app is now on market.
    I currently, have KA7+Voodoo running and since I'm a noob not sure what the upgrade process is to upgrade to the latest KB1+Voodoo?

If the kernel dev does not say anything about the update process, you are supposed to flash the new kernel.

Btw: new version available:

v1.5.6:
    added: java implementation of tar
    added: proper detection of supported flashtypes (only bml, at the moment)
    added: more detailed error messages
    If you're going to flash a kernel which can also read & write ext4, you're safe. So if you want to move from speedmod to voodoo, or vice versa, there is no need to undo lagfix first. But if you want to revert to the original kernel for example, which can NOT read ext4, ext3, ext2 or jfs, then you need to undo the lagfix first and restore the rfs filesystem. If you accidentally mess up, you can always use odin to flash back your previous kernel (make sure you can access download mode). Hope this is helpful.

J.