[ROM] Customized Nookie Froyo 0.6.8 Image for SDcard Updated (4/29)

Search This thread

brianf21

Oct 27, 2010
Davie, FL
First, I would like to thank cicada for the 0.6.8 image, thecubed for sdcard bootable CWR image, shad0wf0x for his stock images, dalingrin for his kernel, rookie1 for his buttons, Wretchedlocket for his icon and theme help and samuelhalff for his help and his CWR image that I customized. This should fit on a 2GB or larger sdcard.

I've created a custom image for an SDCard using Nookie Froyo 0.6.8 as a base. This will fit a 2 GB or larger sdcard. If you want the sdcard to be larger, you will need to delete the 4th partition and recreate it. It should be a FAT32 format and give it a label of sdcard. Added custom bootanimation.zip designed just for us Chuck6993. Thank you Chuck6993. If you like the bootanimation, please visit his thread and get him some beer. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=952188

Instructions:

Burn image to sdcard
Boot Nook with sdcard

Changelog:

4/29/11
Added a status bar toggle
Added a feature to put up a notification as to the status of the status bar (this feature can be turned off in Nookie-Froyo Utils)
Added QuickDesk
Cleaned up the icons (I am finally happy with them... draw9patch)
Updated Nookie-Froyo Utils
Point of interest: If you set QuickDesk as your default launcher and add the status bar toggle to QuickDesk, you will be able to double tap the home button to hide or show the state bar.

4/3/11
Status Bar and Notification window in black
No-frills CPU Control added
Added the following lines to init.rc
Code:
# sd card read speed fix
write /sys/block/mmcblk0/bdi/read_ahead_kb 2048
Updated NookColor Utils and rename it Nookie-Froyo Utils
- Forced Status Bar options added
- Change density and added new densities options
- Moved Reboot to about tab
- Added Poweroff to about tab
Updated to dalingrin's 3/31/11
Cleaned up the spacing on the status bar... Icons are not jammed up against the clock

3/31/11
dalingrin's 3/28/11 NF kernel
Cleaned up the status bar
Long press on home virtual key to pull up recent apps
Force the status bar in all application; look under NookColorUtils (I am not happy with this app, I am going to completely rewrite it shortly.)
Fixed strange flick behavior on status bar (I have not worked on the flick up and flick down yet)
Browser fix is included in the image
For more on the status bar, see this thread.
Again, download (or better yet buy) setCPU to overclock

Issues:
If flash is not working in either Dolphin or the Android Browser, you most likely cleared dalvik-cache.
The fix: I have included a copy of flash on the sdcard partition, if flash stops working, go to the sdcard in Astro and tap not press the flash apk. You will be prompted to open the app manager. Uninstall flash then go back into Astro then tap it again to reinstall it. After that is done, go to both Dophin and the Android Browser and delete data and cache under the applications in settings.

3/18/2011:
Unzip the attached framework.zip and copy to /system/framework/
This will be difficult for Windows users unless you have adb installed, but I would like some Linux users to test it out. I will try to write a script/app that will unzip and copy directly on the device. If someone else wants to write the script that would be okay too. I am try to avoid making everyone re-image their sdcard just to get the update.

Now to the good stuff, I have everything, messages, buttons and icons on the status bar centered vertically and the drop down notification bar is full screen at 160 LCD density.

Let me know how you like it and how you installed it. We need to come up with a easy install for non-techies that boot to the sdcard.

3/15/11 version 3:
Cleaned up the buttons on the status bar
Cleared out data and rebuilt it (I think this is will fix the problem with the market and wifi. Sorry to make you download and burn it again.)

In the works:
Make the notification drop-down take up the full width of the screen
Move the status bar to the bottom
Make the start bar black

3/14/11 version 2:
dalingrin's latest kernel (dalingrin, if you are reading this, great work)
Add rookie1's buttons to the status bar (Thanks Rookie1!)

I still have some things to clean up but it is working well. Click the N button twice to bring up softkeys whenever there is no status bar.

Put on dalingrin's latest kernel. (If you want to overclock it, you must use SetCPU)
Using ClockworkMod Recovery 3.0.0.5
Changed build.prop back in a hope to improve video
LauncherPRO <----------

DO NOT DELETE THE SOFTWARE THAT CICADA INSTALLED. (If you delete the default software, market will not display all the packages.)

Use dd or www.winimage.com to burn the image to the sdcard. Under the disk menu, choose your drive, then under the disk menu, choose restore image. Use easeus.com to resize the last partition.

4/29/11: nookie-froyo-0.6.8.SDCARD.2GB.custom.6
4/3/11: nookie-froyo-0.6.8.SDCARD.2GB.custom.5
3/31/11: Custom Nookie Froyo 0.6.8.4
md5sum b31f56a8323b94e6c7d29679866d4ab0 nookie-froyo-0.6.8.SDCARD.2GB.custom.4.zip

Last edited:

yerand

Aug 18, 2009
Is the nook reader the app from the market, or is it what came with the nook?

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using XDA App

moonpie28

May 19, 2010
I'll try it out when I get home. So you resized data or whatever for an 8 gig card?

Good choice of basic edits to start customizing the system...same stuff I would do.

Sent from my swype-a-myn-a-calkytalky googly super premium deluxe astounda phone

Reactions: hazridi

brianf21

Oct 27, 2010
Davie, FL
I can make a 2 and 4 GB version, but I would need to know the last block number for each. For a 16 GB version, I can give instructions how to blow away the partition, recreate it and reformat it.

DrewLGT

Aug 15, 2010
very nice! runs a little laggy from my class 4 card though.

if i can ever get my ADB working, i'm running this from my internal memory for sure.

bane449

Oct 26, 2008
I'd like a 4GB version please!

Disk /dev/sdb: 3963 MB, 3963617280 bytes
122 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1023 cylinders, total 7741440 sectors

The end block on the last partition according to fdisk -l is 7741439

Hopefully that's what you're asking for! :D

isolated_epidemic

Sep 15, 2007
Spokane, WA
I can make a 2 and 4 GB version, but I would need to know the last block number for each. For a 16 GB version, I can give instructions how to blow away the partition, recreate it and reformat it.

Instructions would be great. I just dislike having 8gb of unused space.

And thanks for putting this together, this is my first foray into Nookie Froyo and you have made it a blast!

Thibor69

I've created a custom image for a 8GB SDCard using 0.5.9 as a base. I used dd to copy it to the card. I am not sure if winimage will work. Just unzip it first. If anyone test it, let me know so I can change this. The physical N key has been configured as: One tap = Softkeys, Two taps = Zeam, and Long tap = Recent Task. Let me know if you like it.

I am sorry for being a noobie but how do I go about installing this ? I already have my NC rooted and I have a 8 gig sdCard. I also have winimage on my pc. What should I do with the *.img file and how should I partition my sdcard? Any tips or a "small" walk-through or guide would be very helpful to me and maybe a few others.

Thank you for your hard work with this ... it sounds great !!

Last edited:

isolated_epidemic

Sep 15, 2007
Spokane, WA
I am sorry for being a noobie but how do I go about installing this ? I already have my NC rooted and I have a 8 gig sdCard. I also have winimage on my pc. What should I do with the *.img file and how should I partition my sdcard? Any tips or a "small" walk-through or guide would be very helpful to me and maybe a few others.

If you check the original Nookie Froyo thread there is a step by step there, but the basics are:

Boot up WinImage
Choose "Restore Virtual Disk Image"
Choose your SD Card
Navigate to your .img file
Hit Apply, wait about 10-20 minutes (depending on card speed)
Turn off Nook Color
Insert SD Card
Boot up Nook Color
Wait about 3-4 minutes after boot for everything to "warm up"
Enjoy

Reactions: gregh77

DrewLGT

Aug 15, 2010

download the zip of froyo, extract it to your desktop. open winimage, click the button with the three little dots. select the file you just extracted, make sure it's going to write to the drive with your SD card, click the write button.

thats it, throw the SD card in the nook and boot it up.

Thibor69

If you check the original Nookie Froyo thread there is a step by step there, but the basics are:

Boot up WinImage
Choose "Restore Virtual Disk Image"
Choose your SD Card
Navigate to your .img file
Hit Apply, wait about 10-20 minutes (depending on card speed)
Turn off Nook Color
Insert SD Card
Boot up Nook Color
Wait about 3-4 minutes after boot for everything to "warm up"
Enjoy

Thank you for that !!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First, I would like to thank cicada for the 0.6.8 image, thecubed for sdcard bootable CWR image, shad0wf0x for his stock images, dalingrin for his kernel, rookie1 for his buttons, Wretchedlocket for his icon and theme help and samuelhalff for his help and his CWR image that I customized. This should fit on a 2GB or larger sdcard.

I've created a custom image for an SDCard using Nookie Froyo 0.6.8 as a base. This will fit a 2 GB or larger sdcard. If you want the sdcard to be larger, you will need to delete the 4th partition and recreate it. It should be a FAT32 format and give it a label of sdcard. Added custom bootanimation.zip designed just for us Chuck6993. Thank you Chuck6993. If you like the bootanimation, please visit his thread and get him some beer. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=952188

Instructions:

Burn image to sdcard
    Boot Nook with sdcard

Changelog:

4/29/11
    Added a status bar toggle
    Added a feature to put up a notification as to the status of the status bar (this feature can be turned off in Nookie-Froyo Utils)
    Added QuickDesk
    Cleaned up the icons (I am finally happy with them... draw9patch)
    Updated Nookie-Froyo Utils
    Point of interest: If you set QuickDesk as your default launcher and add the status bar toggle to QuickDesk, you will be able to double tap the home button to hide or show the state bar.

4/3/11
    Status Bar and Notification window in black
    No-frills CPU Control added
    Added the following lines to init.rc
    Code:
    # sd card read speed fix
    write /sys/block/mmcblk0/bdi/read_ahead_kb 2048
    Updated NookColor Utils and rename it Nookie-Froyo Utils
    - Forced Status Bar options added
    - Change density and added new densities options
    - Moved Reboot to about tab
    - Added Poweroff to about tab
    Updated to dalingrin's 3/31/11
    Cleaned up the spacing on the status bar... Icons are not jammed up against the clock

3/31/11
    dalingrin's 3/28/11 NF kernel
    Cleaned up the status bar
    Long press on home virtual key to pull up recent apps
    Force the status bar in all application; look under NookColorUtils (I am not happy with this app, I am going to completely rewrite it shortly.)
    Fixed strange flick behavior on status bar (I have not worked on the flick up and flick down yet)
    Browser fix is included in the image
    For more on the status bar, see this thread.

Issues:
    If flash is not working in either Dolphin or the Android Browser, you most likely cleared dalvik-cache.
    The fix: I have included a copy of flash on the sdcard partition, if flash stops working, go to the sdcard in Astro and tap not press the flash apk. You will be prompted to open the app manager. Uninstall flash then go back into Astro then tap it again to reinstall it. After that is done, go to both Dophin and the Android Browser and delete data and cache under the applications in settings.

3/18/2011:
    Unzip the attached framework.zip and copy to /system/framework/
    This will be difficult for Windows users unless you have adb installed, but I would like some Linux users to test it out. I will try to write a script/app that will unzip and copy directly on the device. If someone else wants to write the script that would be okay too. I am try to avoid making everyone re-image their sdcard just to get the update.

Now to the good stuff, I have everything, messages, buttons and icons on the status bar centered vertically and the drop down notification bar is full screen at 160 LCD density.

Let me know how you like it and how you installed it. We need to come up with a easy install for non-techies that boot to the sdcard.

3/15/11 version 3:
    Cleaned up the buttons on the status bar
    Cleared out data and rebuilt it (I think this is will fix the problem with the market and wifi. Sorry to make you download and burn it again.)

In the works:
    Make the notification drop-down take up the full width of the screen
    Move the status bar to the bottom
    Make the start bar black

3/14/11 version 2:
    dalingrin's latest kernel (dalingrin, if you are reading this, great work)
    Add rookie1's buttons to the status bar (Thanks Rookie1!)

I still have some things to clean up but it is working well. Click the N button twice to bring up softkeys whenever there is no status bar.

Put on dalingrin's latest kernel. (If you want to overclock it, you must use SetCPU)
    Using ClockworkMod Recovery 3.0.0.5
    Changed build.prop back in a hope to improve video
    LauncherPRO <----------

DO NOT DELETE THE SOFTWARE THAT CICADA INSTALLED. (If you delete the default software, market will not display all the packages.)

Use dd or www.winimage.com to burn the image to the sdcard. Under the disk menu, choose your drive, then under the disk menu, choose restore image. Use easeus.com to resize the last partition.

4/29/11: nookie-froyo-0.6.8.SDCARD.2GB.custom.6
    4/3/11: nookie-froyo-0.6.8.SDCARD.2GB.custom.5
    3/31/11: Custom Nookie Froyo 0.6.8.4
    md5sum b31f56a8323b94e6c7d29679866d4ab0 nookie-froyo-0.6.8.SDCARD.2GB.custom.4.zip
    I just put a new image out there. This should take care of FC, Market, and wifi issues.
    Market

Just a heads up, to get all apps viewable in the market i had to Clear Cache on the Market, Clear Data on Google Framework Services and Force Close, then reboot. It's outlined in the original Nookie thread somewhere a little more detailed.
    Bump. Just updated image.
    Brian,
    You really need to add a donate button to your name. I would totally send you some funds for the work that you do. Thanks!!!

Thanks, but this is just a hobby. :)