NEW MIDlet Manager with Google Sat Maps!!!

Search This thread

risidoro

Sep 9, 2005
Italy
www.webalice.it
HI ALL,
risidoro is back! :)

EDIT: VERSION 11.1.7.1023 IS NO MORE THE LATEST ONE. I'VE PUBLISHED THE MOST UPDATED VERSION (.1034) HERE. PLS USE THAT ONE AND DO NOT CONSIDER ANY MORE THE POST BELOW!!!

I'm here to release a New and Improved version of the great:

Intent MIDlet Manager version 11.1.7.1023

This new MIDlet Manager comes from the new HTC Herald ROM, version 1.2.405

This new version is JTWI 1.0 compliant and SUPPORTS Google's SATELLITE Maps (of course, you need to download Google Maps' client from www.google.com/gmm).

This release also supports sending SMSs from Opera Mini 3.0 (mini.opera.com)!!!

Some Details about the program:
Developer: Intent
Name: MIDlet Manager
Version: 11.1.7.1023
Build: 20060907
JWTI v.1.0 Compliance!

------- HOW TO INSTALL ------------

- Download Risidoro's Intent MIDlet Manager version 11.1.7.1023

- extract the cab (inside the archive) somewhere in your PC (e.g. Desktop)

- copy to somewhere in your PocketPC (e.g. \storage card)

- in your PocketPC, navigate with File Manager to the cab and tap on it to install

- when asked, choose to install in the Device (and NOT in Storage Card!)

- reboot when asked

PS: It can be installed over previous version (or in roms where the old midlet is included)!

-------- WORKING MIDLETS ---------------

So far, i've only tested it with the midlets i use the most.

- Google Maps runs fine. Satellite maps are supported!!!

- Opera Mini 3.0 runs OK too and supports SMS sending. Even softkeys works! Photo blog feature, however, is not supported :(

- Mobile GMaps, beta 1.30.08. Simply wonderful. Sat images for google and yahoo maps.

- MobileMule (latest beta) works ok.

-------- PROBLEMS SO FAR (and possible solutions) ---------------

- a user wasn't able to use this version to connect to the Internet through a proxy
---> use a direct connection to the Internet; check your proxy; downgrade to the old MIDlet manager version.

- the cab cannot be installed due to a security warning
---> soft-reset and retry; use MS Certificate Powertoy for Windows Mobile 5 to disable all the security checks

- If you want to revert back to the old version of the Intent MIDlet manager:
Download the Intent MIDlet manager version 10.1.7.551

Bye bye

ENJOY

Last edited:

me

Feb 26, 2006
Thanks for the file, Risidoro. I have downloaded it, and will try it later. Good to have a better midlet manager.

For those concerned with using gmaps on their phone, however, there are a couple free native Windows Moble programs which will display such maps. I find them much more convenient than using a Java midlet, no matter how good the midlet manager might be.

One such program is called Map4PDA, another one is Virtual Earth Mobile. And there is also Microsoft's new beta "Live Search". There may be more, these three come to mind right away. (I don't have the URLs handy. You can find them with a search.)

There is also another Java midlet map program called MGMAPS, which I find more flexible than Google's GMAPS. (It will show the Google maps, or the Microsoft maps, or Yahoo maps, and has other more flexible features.) However, I still find it much simpler to use a Windows Mobile app, rather than a Java midlet.

shogunmark

Retired Senior Moderator
May 10, 2006
why use the google one? dny238 found an app that is free and blows the google maps out of the water.
http://wls.live.com
will even allow you to use your gps reciever with it and update the image as your driving.. just my .02 cents

and if i could learn to read it looks like "me" mentioned this one above

risidoro

Sep 9, 2005
Italy
www.webalice.it
Thanks for the file, Risidoro. I have downloaded it, and will try it later. Good to have a better midlet manager.

For those concerned with using gmaps on their phone, however, there are a couple free native Windows Moble programs which will display such maps. I find them much more convenient than using a Java midlet, no matter how good the midlet manager might be.

One such program is called Map4PDA, another one is Virtual Earth Mobile. And there is also Microsoft's new beta "Live Search". There may be more, these three come to mind right away. (I don't have the URLs handy. You can find them with a search.)

There is also another Java midlet map program called MGMAPS, which I find more flexible than Google's GMAPS. (It will show the Google maps, or the Microsoft maps, or Yahoo maps, and has other more flexible features.) However, I still find it much simpler to use a Windows Mobile app, rather than a Java midlet.

I prefer native applications too (although i couldn't live without Opera Mini) but microsoft's maps haven't a good satellite coverage in italy compared to google maps so i don't like MSN virtual earth or Live search very much. I didn't know Map4PDA and i'm going to install it very soon, i hope it supports google sat maps!

Thanks for the suggestions. Let me know if you remember some other google maps compatible native software.

Bye

risidoro

Sep 9, 2005
Italy
www.webalice.it
why use the google one? dny238 found an app that is free and blows the google maps out of the water.
http://wls.live.com
will even allow you to use your gps reciever with it and update the image as your driving.. just my .02 cents

and if i could learn to read it looks like "me" mentioned this one above

I can read and yes, i know MS's Live search; however, as i said, MSN satellite maps are not much detailed outside US, especially in Italy.
With Google sat maps i can zoom over my house until i can even see my car parked in front of it! With MSN sat maps i can only see all my town, when i try to zoom more i see a message informing the area is not mapped.

BTW, i've just tried map4pda and i've found it slower than mgmaps (a midlet). Map4pda is a .Net 2 application so it's not a real 'native' application, its code is managed (or runtime) exactly like any java applet.

I'll stick with mgmaps until i find a real, compiled, ppc application.

Anyway, if you believe in the newer-is-better paradigm like me (*), you will want to update your midlet manager with the newer version i posted. Just my two cents.

(*) the paradigm doesn't apply to MS's latest OS. IMHO, XP (or 2003 server) is ways better than Vista!

bye

shogunmark

Retired Senior Moderator
May 10, 2006
I can read and yes, i know MS's Live search; however, as i said, MSN satellite maps are not much detailed outside US, especially in Italy.
With Google sat maps i can zoom over my house until i can even see my car parked in front of it! With MSN sat maps i can only see all my town, when i try to zoom more i see a message informing the area is not mapped.

BTW, i've just tried map4pda and i've found it slower than mgmaps (a midlet). Map4pda is a .Net 2 application so it's not a real 'native' application, its code is managed (or runtime) exactly like any java applet.

I'll stick with mgmaps until i find a real, compiled, ppc application.

Anyway, if you believe in the newer-is-better paradigm like me (*), you will want to update your midlet manager with the newer version i posted. Just my two cents.

(*) the paradigm doesn't apply to MS's latest OS. IMHO, XP (or 2003 server) is ways better than Vista!

bye

i guess i sometimes forget that not everywhere is covered as detailed as the US..

anyway, im getting ready to try this on my 8525/hermes and will let you know if it works on it!

**EDIT**
works great on the hermes, and im lazy and posted this copy/paste on the hermes board, and gave you the proper credit for the work!

Last edited:

ojay1966

Dec 17, 2006
thanks but I wasn't able to complete the install of the new MM on my MDA Vario II (Hermes) due to some "security warnings". after going back to some previous midlet manager (v10.1.7.551) I ALWAYS get an error message (sth like "midlet won't run") if I try to run ANY java midlet (jar or jad). any ideas on how to solve this?

ojay1966

Dec 17, 2006
Problem report ...........

HI ALL,
risidoro is back! :)

I'm here to release a New and Improved version of the great Intent MIDlet Manager!!!

This new MIDlet Manager comes from the new HTC Herald ROM, version 1.2.405

This new version is JTWI 1.0 compliant and SUPPORTS Google's SATELLITE Maps (of course, you need to download Google Maps' client from www.google.com/gmm).

This release also supports sending SMSs from Opera Mini 3.0 (mini.opera.com)!!!

Some Details about the program:
Developer: Intent
Name: MIDlet Manager
Version: 11.1.7.1023
Build: 20060907
JWTI v.1.0 Compliance!

------- HOW TO INSTALL ------------

- download the zip archive from:

Risidoro_Intent_MIDlet_Manager_v11.zip

- extract the cab (inside the archive) somewhere in your PC (e.g. Desktop)

- copy to somewhere in your PocketPC (e.g. \storage card)

- in your PocketPC, navigate with File Manager to the cab and tap on it to install

- when asked, choose to install in the Device (and NOT in Storage Card!)

- reboot when asked

PS: It can be installed over previous version (or in roms where the old midlet is included)!

-------- COMPATIBILITY ---------------

So far, i've only tested it with the midlets i use the most.

- Google Maps runs fine. Satellite maps are supported!!!

- Opera Mini 3.0 runs OK too and supports SMS sending. Even softkeys works! Photo blog feature, however, is not supported :(

- Mobile GMaps, beta 1.30.08 (http://wap.mgmaps.com/): simply wonderful. Sat images for google and yahoo maps.

ENJOY

I encountered the following problem here: the installation FAILS since I don't seem to have the "sufficient rights" to complete the installation (???). any ideas?

demontefixo

Feb 25, 2006

FWIW, the Map4PDA works well with a bluetooth GPS receiver and Faria's 12mb AKU3.2 ROM RC1. (I overclock and plug in the charger and the phone/map/GPS plotting zips along).

--M

Last edited:

bittermormon

Jul 21, 2006
I tried installing this version yesterday, but found I cannot connect via a proxy on my tzones setup. I uninstalled and put the version I pulled from X's extended ROM and it worked fine. Not sure if anyone is interested, but I thought I'd throw it out there.