Want to try to avoid 1.3.0 OTA? Modify build prop?

Search This thread

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Hey everyone, I'll up front say I'm more a user than a tweaker, so right now my NC (and my wifes) work awesome. I am currently on CM7, but my wife and many folks need to use the stock ROM and until a clean way to update with autonoot and such comes out, hopefully this is useful.

Clockwork Mod won't install an OTA, but I have a feeling that it'll still download it and try to install it, and I'm afraid it will try to install it over and over as long as the file is there. So moving to CWM to avoid the OTA is out.

Renaming otacerts doesn't work, lots of accounts of that.

But in my experience, OTAs always compare the build prop to see if they need to OTA, so what I'm going to do to my NC and my wifes NC is modify the build prop to the new settings and see if that avoids the OTA.

BTW, I know Nookie Froyo, CM7 etc won't OTA, etc, so now that's out of the way.... :rolleyes:

Due to multiple reports that using Root Explorer has somehow screwed up the system requiring users to manually re-copy their old build.prop back, I suggest you DO NOT use Root Explorer to do this.

First thing is look in /media for the uploader, in case it's already downloaded. Delete it if it's there! If you're paranoid, check when you're done with the following too, just in case it snuck in while you were editing ;)

• Remount the system r/w
Code:
adb shell
su
busybox mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
  • Push the new build.prop to your system
Code:
adb push build.prop-1.3.0-[COLOR="Red"]YOURBUILD[/COLOR] /system/build.prop

Note you need to replace YOURBUILD with the appropriate build, Froyo or Eclair, or whatever you named the build.prop..

Now your NC should have thew new build.prop, so now reboot. When you reboot, you should get a pop-up message with a green N saying you've updated to 1.3, but you should not see any update progress dialogs or any indication there was an actual update. Hopefully this makes it not try to OTA to 1.3.0! Please report back! It worked for 1.0.1 with the 1.1.0, as well as the 1.2.0 update out there, and it should work for 1.3.0.

Last edited:

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Once I get a little feedback on this, I'm going to move it to the NookDevs wiki, just don't want to put nonsense there if that's what it is ;) I've done this to both my NC and my wifes, no problem so far, and hopefully it avoids the OTA.

Last edited:

JF-WS6

Jan 25, 2011

Hello
I am a newbie at all of this and used the autonooter with 1.01. That's about as deep as i planned going with the nook, enough to read, play some games and surf the web. So my question is for someone like me that really may not have the skill as most of you, what would be the easiest way to prevent an ota update that will unroot my nook? Thanks for any advise

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Hello
I am a newbie at all of this and used the autonooter with 1.01. That's about as deep as i planned going with the nook, enough to read, play some games and surf the web. So my question is for someone like me that really may not have the skill as most of you, what would be the easiest way to prevent an ota update that will unroot my nook? Thanks for any advise

I'll keep revising the instructions in the first post, but that's so far the only theory that hasn't failed yet... So get adb to work and follow the instructions. You can do it over Wifi, so even if USB isn't working out for you due to your OS, the Wifi ADB widget on the Market will work.

How to use ADB itself, you can google.. It's fairly straightforward. Basically you'll just need to adb connect ip : port once you know it, the Wifi ADB widget tells you when it sets up.

computercarl

Oct 16, 2006
Bay City, MI
FYI, I just did all of this from Root Explorer on the device. I snagged yer file from your dl.dropbox link, copy it over via root explorer, and set the rights. When I restarted, the little green n told me I had recently updated.

Maybe we can bypass optional future updates by changing our version to something really high like 1.99?

odwalker

Oct 24, 2010
Yes I know I never say anything on here but will now. I have used something like this on before I I do think this will work just fine as the Nook already things it's updated so when it checks it's going to see that it is already updated.

Now as to what BN will do in a week or so who knows. We just need some more support for roms and so on for the nook and we will be good to go.

danguyf

May 22, 2006
ClockworkMod has no bearing on the OTA; it's not the recovery that attempts to download and install OTAs.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
ClockworkMod has no bearing on the OTA; it's not the recovery that attempts to download and install OTAs.

Um, yeah... Let me explain further I guess?

1. B&N Components decide it needs an update, downloads it
  2. B&N components see the update is downloaded, sets up the OTA update, reboots
  3. Clockwork Recovery does NOT update
  4. System boots
  5. Repeat step 2 - 5 forever?

That's what I meant by "Clockwork won't install an OTA" and such.

Reactions: swest6602

bdcrim

Oct 27, 2010
Check your software version? Pretty sure it wouldn't show any updates, mine nor my wifes did. I think you probably already got the OTA.

Copied the new build and rebooted. I received a upgrade notice in the notification bar that said I upgraded to 1.1. I checked the new software version for the nook and it also says 1.1. I know I have not gotten anything ota because I have watched all afternoon. Thanks for this. Only time will tell when the real update hits my nook.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Copied the new build and rebooted. I received a upgrade notice in the notification bar that said I upgraded to 1.1. I checked the new software version for the nook and it also says 1.1. I know I have not gotten anything ota because I have watched all afternoon. Thanks for this. Only time will tell when the real update hits my nook.

Yes, mine too! interesting! Maybe it fooled it, it just didn't expect it to do that :)

Reactions: miemens

ChrisJ951

Jan 25, 2011
Yes, mine too! interesting! Maybe it fooled it, it just didn't expect it to do that :)

I just checked the about settings and it also says 1.1.0 . If im on 1.1.0 I don't really mind since my device is still rooted and works identically to how it did a day ago. I'm guessing it pulls the about settings pulls the data from the build.prop every reboot

skaman77

Jan 9, 2011
Maybe in the doctored file we should update the build to something like 1.1.5 so we have something in "device info" that says the device is build 1.1.5 instead of 1.1.0 which would denote the OTA... that way, if somehow the OTA does install it will change to 1.1.0 and we'll have evidence in the setting menu (unfortunately, of failure of the method).

bdcrim

Oct 27, 2010
Maybe in the doctored file we should update the build to something like 1.1.5 so we have something in "device info" that says the device is build 1.1.5 instead of 1.1.0 which would denote the OTA... that way, if somehow the OTA does install it will change to 1.1.0 and we'll have evidence in the setting menu (unfortunately, of failure of the method).

Good thought. Do you want to flip a coin or draw straws?

colorado_al

Aug 4, 2008
As soon as I saw the thread about the 1.1.0 update today, I turned my WiFi off. There was no zip file in my /media folder or on root when I made the changes to the build.prop file. When I rebooted, I received a notice in the bar that my Nook Color software had been updated. WiFi is still off, but I am going to turn it back on and see what happens.

Last edited:

vasmi

Jan 9, 2011
i also updated file lines thru root explorer and gave me massage that i had been updated. crossing fingers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone, I'll up front say I'm more a user than a tweaker, so right now my NC (and my wifes) work awesome. I am currently on CM7, but my wife and many folks need to use the stock ROM and until a clean way to update with autonoot and such comes out, hopefully this is useful.

Clockwork Mod won't install an OTA, but I have a feeling that it'll still download it and try to install it, and I'm afraid it will try to install it over and over as long as the file is there. So moving to CWM to avoid the OTA is out.

Renaming otacerts doesn't work, lots of accounts of that.

But in my experience, OTAs always compare the build prop to see if they need to OTA, so what I'm going to do to my NC and my wifes NC is modify the build prop to the new settings and see if that avoids the OTA.

BTW, I know Nookie Froyo, CM7 etc won't OTA, etc, so now that's out of the way.... :rolleyes:

Due to multiple reports that using Root Explorer has somehow screwed up the system requiring users to manually re-copy their old build.prop back, I suggest you DO NOT use Root Explorer to do this.

First thing is look in /media for the uploader, in case it's already downloaded. Delete it if it's there! If you're paranoid, check when you're done with the following too, just in case it snuck in while you were editing ;)

• Remount the system r/w
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    Code:
    adb push build.prop-1.3.0-[COLOR="Red"]YOURBUILD[/COLOR] /system/build.prop

Note you need to replace YOURBUILD with the appropriate build, Froyo or Eclair, or whatever you named the build.prop..

Now your NC should have thew new build.prop, so now reboot. When you reboot, you should get a pop-up message with a green N saying you've updated to 1.3, but you should not see any update progress dialogs or any indication there was an actual update. Hopefully this makes it not try to OTA to 1.3.0! Please report back! It worked for 1.0.1 with the 1.1.0, as well as the 1.2.0 update out there, and it should work for 1.3.0.
    Below is for old 1.2.0 information, don't use this unless you're sure you need to!

• Remount the system r/w
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    Code:
    adb push build.prop-1.2.0 /system/build.prop

Um, yeah... Let me explain further I guess?

1. B&N Components decide it needs an update, downloads it
    2. B&N components see the update is downloaded, sets up the OTA update, reboots
    3. Clockwork Recovery does NOT update
    4. System boots
    5. Repeat step 2 - 5 forever?

That's what I meant by "Clockwork won't install an OTA" and such.

I just changed my build.prop file. I had an uptime of 19 days, 22 hours, and 38 minutes. :(
    Hopefully, this will stop the OTA update... which would have been much worse than losing
    my uptime.

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Rich