FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[REF] Tutorial: How to partition sd card to run wp7 and android from same sd card

109 posts
Thanks Meter: 87

By darrengladysz, Senior Member on 14th January 2011, 10:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th January 2011, 05:03 PM |#411  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Is it an android build ? what about Android NAND ?
27th January 2011, 06:32 PM |#412  
Flag SouthSide of Chicago
Thanks Meter: 190

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ele1216

how can i use the sd card during using android?? It show that the sd card is unmounted.
how can i place music to the sd card and play it in android??

If you read the last couple pages you will find the solution I posted. You have to use minitool partition manager to change the wp7 partition from logical to primary. That solves the problem of android not mounting the sd card. I posted the app a couple times already in my posts.

Sent from my HTC bravo using XDA App
28th January 2011, 05:30 AM |#413  
Flag Merced
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Smile Insert sd card?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ele1216

how can i use the sd card during using android?? It show that the sd card is unmounted.
how can i place music to the sd card and play it in android??

[QUOTE=zarathustrax;10937067]If you read the last couple pages you will find the solution I posted. You have to use minitool partition manager to change the wp7 partition from logical to primary. That solves the problem of android not mounting the sd card. I posted the app a couple times already in my posts.

I bet youre getting annoyed! Minitool to change from logical to primary **** search Zarathustrax and he has answered this many times and posted the minitool a couple times too.
29th January 2011, 01:39 PM |#414  

More
I have a problem. I have everyday working instalation of WP7 on Lexar 8GB card. I would like to have dual boot. Tried two methods from this topic, but non seems to work (dd copy with image and also EASEUS ALL-IN-ONE Partition Manager Software first method).

My new Kingston 16GB Class 4 not recognised in WP7. It looks like a clean instalation without a card inserted.

I did not do hard reset with this new card, because I have a lot of stuff on the old card.

So i tried to have dual boot with two cards. Reformated 16GB Kingston with Nokia E71, SonyEricsson Xperia X1, PC SDFormatter, PC disk part - but never recognised in MAGLDR - (FAT 32). I copied the Android folder with PC card adapter (not mass storage), but not booting SD Android. Even mass storage in MAGLDR fails to install drivers with this card inserted, but when using Lexar everything is ok. So, the same problem exists even when using only one 16GB FAT32 partition.

If anybody has an idea what the problem could be - you are welcomed to reply. Now, I am not even sure if my HD2 card reader supports 16GB, perhaps is damaged somehow.
HD2 Euro 512, Radio_2_12_50_02_2.
WP7 instalation after hard reset (in about screen) from previous instalation.

Lexar 8GB Class 4 - WP7 working OK - MAGLDR Mass storage OK (driver instalation OK)

Kingston 16GB Class 4 (C16G Taiwan) - not even recognised by MAGLDR Mass storage (driver instalation fails), not recognised when partitioning for dualboot in WP7 - recognised and working in PC, Nokia E71, SonyEricsson Xperia X1, but not in HD2

Any idea?
29th January 2011, 04:26 PM |#415  
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 87

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by markecpda

I have a problem. I have everyday working instalation of WP7 on Lexar 8GB card. I would like to have dual boot. Tried two methods from this topic, but non seems to work (dd copy with image and also EASEUS ALL-IN-ONE Partition Manager Software first method).

My new Kingston 16GB Class 4 not recognised in WP7. It looks like a clean instalation without a card inserted.

I did not do hard reset with this new card, because I have a lot of stuff on the old card.

So i tried to have dual boot with two cards. Reformated 16GB Kingston with Nokia E71, SonyEricsson Xperia X1, PC SDFormatter, PC disk part - but never recognised in MAGLDR - (FAT 32). I copied the Android folder with PC card adapter (not mass storage), but not booting SD Android. Even mass storage in MAGLDR fails to install drivers with this card inserted, but when using Lexar everything is ok. So, the same problem exists even when using only one 16GB FAT32 partition.

If anybody has an idea what the problem could be - you are welcomed to reply. Now, I am not even sure if my HD2 card reader supports 16GB, perhaps is damaged somehow.

Lexar 8GB Class 4 - WP7 working OK - MAGLDR Mass storage OK (driver instalation OK)

Kingston 16GB Class 4 (C16G Taiwan) - not even recognised by MAGLDR Mass storage (driver instalation fails), not recognised when partitioning for dualboot in WP7 - recognised and working in PC, Nokia E71, SonyEricsson Xperia X1, but not in HD2

Any idea?

Sounds like you may have compatibility issues with your card. I believe there is a thread in the hd2 wp7 section about compatible cards. Have a look if others had issues. I tend to stick to sandisk class 2 for wp7. I have working 8, 16 and 32 gb sandisk all class 2.

Good luck.
29th January 2011, 06:37 PM |#416  
Thanks Meter: 161

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gencaslan

ok these steps seem to speed up the process. and it works with only one adapter.

Preparation :

Download command-line tool dd from http://www.chrysocome.net/dd and extract to a folder on your computer C:\dd-0.6beta3

Download the partition manager from http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm and install.

1. Flash WP7 with smaller sd-card mounted in your mobile device. (about 10 - 20 minutes)

2. make an image of your sd.

Open a Console
XP : Start -> Execute -> cmd.exe .
Win7 : Start -> Enter in Searchfield -> cmd.exe

change to the folder where dd was extracted to

mount the sd-card in an (usb) sd-adapter. the command is described in http://www.chrysocome.net/dd "Read the entire USB memory device" BUT use at least bs=4M as block size if you use 1M it will take hours. (about 5 -10 mins)
you can try greater values as 4M as the usb2-standard allows up to 30M per second (see http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm#4). 8M is optimum for me.

3. write image to bigger card. put bigger card in the (usb) sd-adapter and execute the following command. (about 5 -10 minutes)

4. use the partiotion manager to copy the wp7 partition to the unallocated space at the end of the bigger sd-card. make it NOT primary. ( 20 - 30 minutes)

5. delete the 200MB fat16 and the first wp7 partition. (few seconds)

6. create fat32 partition with the partition tool on the unallocated space . select it as primary. (few seconds)

credits to all uf us.

you can skip step one if you did an image once. so the whole process takes about an hour. also you can use the image-file as backup if you mess around with wp7 or ruin your card or something. just copy back the image on a new card.

A couple of tips with the DD method:

If "dd --list" doesn't show your drives under "NT Block Device Objects": Make sure you're running cmd.exe as Administrator. Setting the Administrator property on dd.exe may not work, as it will open in a separate window.

If you're getting "Error writing file: 5 Access is denied" when writing to the new card: Ensure you're running cmd.exe as Administrator, and..
  • Run "diskpart"
  • list disk
  • select disk #
  • clean
  • create partition primary
  • active
  • clean (yes, again)
  • exit
Run "diskpart"
Now try again.

Thanks,
B.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fmstrat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Fmstrat Ad-Free
29th January 2011, 06:39 PM |#417  
Thanks Meter: 161

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by markecpda

Any idea?

You may also have a corrupt partition scheme. I had this happen and even fdisk'ing in Linux wouldn't solve the issue. Try the "diskpart" instructions I pasted right above this, and see if that works.
29th January 2011, 07:29 PM |#418  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmstrat

You may also have a corrupt partition scheme. I had this happen and even fdisk'ing in Linux wouldn't solve the issue. Try the "diskpart" instructions I pasted right above this, and see if that works.

As you can see from my post I have tried all the methods of formatting, even diskpart. The card is also listed as compatible in the other topic.
29th January 2011, 08:29 PM |#419  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmstrat

A couple of tips with the DD method:

If "dd --list" doesn't show your drives under "NT Block Device Objects": Make sure you're running cmd.exe as Administrator. Setting the Administrator property on dd.exe may not work, as it will open in a separate window.

If you're getting "Error writing file: 5 Access is denied" when writing to the new card: Ensure you're running cmd.exe as Administrator, and..

• Run "diskpart"
  • list disk
  • select disk #
  • clean
  • create partition primary
  • active
  • clean (yes, again)
  • exit
Run "diskpart"
Now try again.

Thanks,
B.

Worked fine for me. (At least for this error)
Now fingers crossed, that it boots...
Used no external adapter but the phone in magldr mode...
30th January 2011, 04:46 AM |#420  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathustrax

If you read the last couple pages you will find the solution I posted. You have to use minitool partition manager to change the wp7 partition from logical to primary. That solves the problem of android not mounting the sd card. I posted the app a couple times already in my posts.

Sent from my HTC bravo using XDA App

Thanks Zarathustrax -changin gfrom logical to primary on the wp7 partition did the trick (needs reboot of phone) - like so many before, i was only looking at the first few pages of the start of this thread, then assumed the problem lay with the android rom i was installing. If only you this info could be attached to the first post to save headaches...
30th January 2011, 01:06 PM |#421  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
its weird that when after install WM7. I check my cdcard on my pc. its not FAT16. its stated others. any ideas? this wont allow me to resize the partition.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
dual boot, wp7 and android

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)