HOW TO: Root Optimus V (Virgin Mobile)

Search This thread

sublimewulf

May 31, 2010
WARNING! I AM NOT LIABLE IF YOU EFF UP YOUR PHONE, YOU ARE ACCEPTING THE RISK BY CONTINUING!

Tutorial

Requirements:
Windows PC
ADB installed and working

Download The Following
http://www.mediafire.com/?fcjnvrmae6ccm9k flash_image.zip
http://www.multiupload.com/YLP39EICOP recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img.zip
http://www.multiupload.com/WGF93RR90X SuperOneClick
http://www.multiupload.com/7KCGPF6RBF Virgin Drivers
http://www.multiupload.com/SL4MFB928T Stock Rom Rooted and De Odexed minus Bloat

1. Extract the Drivers Zip to a folder on the desktop
Click on the installation file and install the Optimus drivers

2. On your phone (must be activated), Go to settings, then to Applications, then Development and enable USB debugging.

3. Unzip Super One Click to the same folder and run it. Click shell root.

4. Unzip the flash_image.zip and recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img.zip to the root of your phone's SD Card. Also Place Stock Rooted and Optimized.zip at the root (KEEP IN ZIP).

5. a. Open CMD.exe and navigate to the folder adb.exe exists in.
b. Type:

adb shell
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img
reboot recovery

Your phone will now reboot into the custom recovery

6. Go to "Backup" (navigate with volume rocker and click with Home) , and click "backup nand" .

7. When It is finished, click back until you are at the main menu again. Click Flash zip from sdcard and flash Stock Rooted and Optimized.zip

8. IMPORTANT, return to main menu, navigate to Wipe. Click Wipe data/factory reset.
ONLY WIPE/FACTORY RESET IN RECOVERY. DO NOT USE THE PHONE WIPE
Note: Re-flash required as I could not maintain root after reboot.

Button Combo for recovery is Home+Down Vol.+Power. Hold these until recovery loads.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask below! I will try and read them all.

Last edited:

aliaselchore

Feb 19, 2010
Los Angeles
now im getting it

i was thinking of getting the optimus v. now with fast develpement like this for it im definetly getting it. cant beat $25 a month right.... with this cheap plan i can keep my alredy cheap evo on metro jajajajaja

thanks man good work

xdaikatanax

Jan 10, 2011
Wow that was fast! Props to sublimewulf! I plan on getting one of these soon. Is this gingerbread based?

garduno.cris

Dec 31, 2010
how does this phone run? i mean im not expecting it to be as smooth as the evo or anything but can i expect something better than the hero? can it be overclocked?

sublimewulf

May 31, 2010
how does this phone run? i mean im not expecting it to be as smooth as the evo or anything but can i expect something better than the hero? can it be overclocked?

It runs VERY smoothly. Overclocking is a horse a piece, some phones can do 864 mhz stable no issues, but some max out at 806 mhz and slightly lower. I am stable at 834 mhz right now. If you look at the Optimus S and it's over clocking habits, it's almost the exact hardware.

Reactions: chriskaiser

chymmylt

Sep 18, 2006
Is this recovery like the one for the Samsung Intercept that you you have to use the factory reset inside the recovery and that you can't use the factory reset inside the privacy tab or it can brick your phone?

cpiddy

Sep 2, 2007
custom recovery is installed and i flashed rom but im getting stuck on lg load screen??

netnem

Oct 8, 2007
custom recovery is installed and i flashed rom but im getting stuck on lg load screen??

yep same here...stuck at LG loading screen after following guide.

EDIT:

Fixed it by going back into recovery mode...reflashing the ZIP file a second time. and then wiping the data/factory reset again. This time it took.

Now it's rooted and ready to go.

This is a really nice phone. I use a nexus one and this is for my girlfriend, but this is such a nice phone I'm tempted to switch myself. Sooooooo much better than the Intercept I had on froyo.

Last edited:

cpiddy

Sep 2, 2007

EDIT:

Fixed it by going back into recovery mode...reflashing the ZIP file a second time. and then wiping the data/factory reset again. This time it took.

Now it's rooted and ready to go.

This is a really nice phone. I use a nexus one and this is for my girlfriend, but this is such a nice phone I'm tempted to switch myself. Sooooooo much better than the Intercept I had on froyo.

Ok, yea i actually flashed the stripped down version and was good to go. Loving this phone btw. $25/ month is fantastic. can someone please pull the myaccount app and post?

Nevermind on the myaccount, found an app in the market.

Last edited:

netnem

Oct 8, 2007
It runs VERY smoothly. Overclocking is a horse a piece, some phones can do 864 mhz stable no issues, but some max out at 806 mhz and slightly lower. I am stable at 834 mhz right now. If you look at the Optimus S and it's over clocking habits, it's almost the exact hardware.

Curious, what are you using for OCing? I installed setCPU for underclocking while sleeping, but I haven't found an OC kernel for the optimus V that didn't have some "quirks" to it like messing up the hardware buttons at the bottom. (Even though there is a way to fix it with a market app, I just don't like installing stuff that needs workarounds.)

sublimewulf

May 31, 2010
Curious, what are you using for OCing? I installed setCPU for underclocking while sleeping, but I haven't found an OC kernel for the optimus V that didn't have some "quirks" to it like messing up the hardware buttons at the bottom. (Even though there is a way to fix it with a market app, I just don't like installing stuff that needs workarounds.)

OC'ing breaks the home button with the Kernel I'm using, I am not too sure how to make my own OC kernel, but I'm looking for a tut or someone to assist me

mcmep11

May 28, 2008

EDIT:

just to clarify for other noobs, do the button combo mentioned in first post, while phone is off, this will start it up in recovery mode

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING! I AM NOT LIABLE IF YOU EFF UP YOUR PHONE, YOU ARE ACCEPTING THE RISK BY CONTINUING!

Tutorial

Requirements:
    Windows PC
    ADB installed and working

Download The Following
    http://www.mediafire.com/?fcjnvrmae6ccm9k flash_image.zip
    http://www.multiupload.com/YLP39EICOP recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img.zip
    http://www.multiupload.com/WGF93RR90X SuperOneClick
    http://www.multiupload.com/7KCGPF6RBF Virgin Drivers
    http://www.multiupload.com/SL4MFB928T Stock Rom Rooted and De Odexed minus Bloat

1. Extract the Drivers Zip to a folder on the desktop
    Click on the installation file and install the Optimus drivers

2. On your phone (must be activated), Go to settings, then to Applications, then Development and enable USB debugging.

3. Unzip Super One Click to the same folder and run it. Click shell root.

4. Unzip the flash_image.zip and recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img.zip to the root of your phone's SD Card. Also Place Stock Rooted and Optimized.zip at the root (KEEP IN ZIP).

5. a. Open CMD.exe and navigate to the folder adb.exe exists in.
    b. Type:

adb shell
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
    cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
    chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
    mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
    mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img
    reboot recovery

Your phone will now reboot into the custom recovery

6. Go to "Backup" (navigate with volume rocker and click with Home) , and click "backup nand" .

7. When It is finished, click back until you are at the main menu again. Click Flash zip from sdcard and flash Stock Rooted and Optimized.zip

8. IMPORTANT, return to main menu, navigate to Wipe. Click Wipe data/factory reset.
    ONLY WIPE/FACTORY RESET IN RECOVERY. DO NOT USE THE PHONE WIPE
    Note: Re-flash required as I could not maintain root after reboot.

Button Combo for recovery is Home+Down Vol.+Power. Hold these until recovery loads.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask below! I will try and read them all.
    As the creator of the recovery.img I must say I'm not very thrilled about this being posted in this manner with absolutely no credit being given to me. Posts like these are going to make me stop doing recoveries period. I made recovery.img's for the entire optimus lineup (Vortex, Opt S, Opt M, Opt P500, Opt P509, Opt V) and do not have any of these phones myself. My total amount of donations for all this work is > $50 and well over 25,000 downloads as many users don't know to whom to credit and thank or ones who wish to donate have no idea where to donate to.

Anyways here is the proper recovery designed for the Optimus V (released on 2/06/11) so you can stop using the Optimus S one. Please also replace download links with one below.

Optimus-V recovery.img
    ROMs

ROMS

Stock deodexed with crapware removed:
    http://www.multiupload.com/SL4MFB928T
    A lot of these guides are outdated and the OPs haven't bothered to update them. From my most recent experience. Here's the easiest way (no commands to type and mess up):

1. To root, install Gingerbreak.apk (follow the simple directions, works on Froyo Stock ROM too)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1044765

2. Once rooted, download ROM manager from app market.

3. In ROM Manager choose to flash the clockworkmod recovery (works well for IHO/BACKside CM7.1 Gingerbread 2.3.4 ROM, recommended). Or xionia Recovery for Harmonia Froyo 2.2 ROM.

4. Go find your ROM .zip file (and gapps.zip for CM7.1) and put it in the /sdcard folder using a file manager.

5. Power off, then hold vol-down, home, & power button until LG logo pops up. This boots into the clockworkmod recovery.

BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL ROM in recovery mode.

6. From there wipe cache, dalvik-cache, reset data, format all except /sdcard. Then flash the ROM of your choice (& gapps.zip if moving to a CM7.1 ROM)
    As the creator of the recovery.img I must say I'm not very thrilled about this being posted in this manner with absolutely no credit being given to me. Posts like these are going to make me stop doing recoveries period. I made recovery.img's for the entire optimus lineup (Vortex, Opt S, Opt M, Opt P500, Opt P509, Opt V) and do not have any of these phones myself. My total amount of donations for all this work is > $50 and well over 25,000 downloads as many users don't know to whom to credit and thank or ones who wish to donate have no idea where to donate to.

Anyways here is the proper recovery designed for the Optimus V (released on 2/06/11) so you can stop using the Optimus S one. Please also replace download links with one below.

REMOVED

Maybe instead of complaining and moaning about it, you could PM me and I'd add it to the OP. But if you are going to be like that I'll make my own damn recovery img. Time and place man. Think before you act. If this is how you react to people on a normal basis, thats the reason no one donates to your "fund". I'm not profiting at all from this. The only link I have is to a fricken cancer foundation. I'm sorry for being a selfish bastard.