By deeper-blue, Member on 1st February 2011, 09:02 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
2nd February 2011, 08:19 AM |#401  
Thanks Meter: 243

More
Exclamation Can't Unzip the Image on Windows or Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by japzone

No matter what I try I can't extract the IMG file. I opened it in 7zip, WinZip, even my Ubuntu's Archive Mounter with p7zip couldn't extract it. All of them say the IMG file is 0 bytes. 7zip's error message says "Unsupported Compression Method for 'nookhoney.img'". PLEASE HELP!

Please help!! I can't even get to Burning the Image as it refuses to Extract at all from the Zip file. Besides I use Linux so I don't need WinImage.
2nd February 2011, 08:24 AM |#402  
Flag Indianapolis
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Please help Mac users.
1. Downloaded zip
2. Unarchived zip
3. Wrote image to 8gb class 6 card (Never goes to the next step after dd if=nookhoney.img of=/dev/disk# even after 30min, just hangs until I quit terminal and eject my card reader. Then pops up boot and sd card.
4. Pop into nook gets stuck in nook color boot screen and just repeats the "nook color" splash over and over and over.

Am I applying this right Ive tried to downloaded from diff sources and still get the same results. Im also assuming that were using the same instructions from the nook devs page on writing the auto nooter to sd card right. Any help would be super appreciated guys because Im feeling like a real dumb ass right now. You guys are awesome.

Well never mind guess it worked this time. Wow im blown away
2nd February 2011, 08:43 AM |#403  
Thanks Meter: 243

More
Quote:

Please help!! I can't even get to Burning the Image as it refuses to Extract at all from the Zip file. Besides I use Linux so I don't need WinImage.

Ok I found a Post that said to use WinRAR and it seems to be working. To save People the Pain I'm going to ReZip the IMG and Upload it so people don't have to be as inconvinienced as I was. I'll update when I have it up.

Update1: I'm Zipping it right now. I'm using a High Compression Ratio so it's easier for me to upload. It may be slow to Unzip but it should be more Compatible with Most Archive Programs. I'm using 7zip so I know it can Open it. I'll also test it with WinZip.
2nd February 2011, 08:59 AM |#404  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:

This should be totally easy from Linux.
Code:
$ sudo aptitude install unzip  # if you don't already have it
$ unzip nookhoney01.img.zip
$ dd if=nookhoney01.img of=/dev/sdb  # adjust for the appropriate sd device
That worked for me anyway (from Ubuntu).
The Following User Says Thank You to iconoclastnet For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iconoclastnet Ad-Free
2nd February 2011, 09:00 AM |#405  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Erm...I'm on a mac.

very simple. I think the problem here is your lack of patience; it takes awhile to do this, that's all.

Here is what i did. Put the card in. it shows up in the Finder. Good so far.

Open a term. Then do:

diskutil list

You'll see your sd card as /dev/disk#s# (diskNumberSliceNumber. it is BSD-ish parlance)

you want to then do:
diskutil unmount <name of sdcard>

then:
sudo dd if=<honeycomb image> of=/dev/disk#

Type in an admin password. At this point...go out. Put on a movie. Watch something on hulu. Have sex with you girl/boy/hand/vibrating egg/whatever.

It will take "awhile" depending on several factors...but the point is, if you are "lusting for results" it will take 20mins longer than you want, at least.

When it is done (on my sd dongle thingee, the light stopped flashing. I don't know when, I went out with my wife, then came home and...you get the idea..) the termy will return to the the prompt.

That is really all there is to it. No tricks. Been rockin the Honey for hours and Hours.

It is no iOS, but I will say this: the new hires are a lot more clueful and it isn't too shabby an experience. I expect in a week it will be quite nice.

-K
The Following User Says Thank You to kaicherry For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kaicherry Ad-Free
2nd February 2011, 09:01 AM |#406  
Austin, Tx
Thanks Meter: 151

More
I will apologize in advance because I do not know who to credit this to, I was cutting and pasting how-to a lot of the day so my time at home would be more effective. It was still a PITA because I didn't have all of the various software (free downloads) needed, had never used them and didn't know what I was doing - my fault.

Anyway, I followed this and it works perfectly..eventually
Quote:

Just to chime in, Sandisk 4GB Class 4 card, used WinRar on Win7 32bit, WinImage8.5.

File unzipped fine (took a really long time for the last 1%)

WinImage wrote the image, stopped itself after about 94% saying it couldn't find the right place or some such.

Took card out of Netbook, put it in my NookColor, turned my Nook back on, and it took less than a minute to boot into Honeycomb.

this thread is helpful too
http://forum.androidcentral.com/barn...-color-10.html
2nd February 2011, 09:03 AM |#407  
Austin, Tx
Thanks Meter: 151

More
I am running HC but when I hook my NC up to my laptop it will not install and can not find the $#%$#%$ drivers. grrrrrrr.

I have rebooted the NC and that did not help. So I am not able to run any adb commands and get the Market installed.

Any advice?

Never mind - found the link, the post, etc re: how to fix this. Crossing my fingers it will work soon so I can go to bed and play with this tomorrow
2nd February 2011, 09:35 AM |#408  
Flag Boise
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thanks for the work.
It's fun to see, but nothing speedy yet.. but cool.
2nd February 2011, 10:22 AM |#409  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
no adobe flash?
2nd February 2011, 10:32 AM |#410  
OP Member
somewhere in good ol' Germany
Thanks Meter: 609

More
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=936995

updated, now with sound support!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to deeper-blue For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift deeper-blue Ad-Free
2nd February 2011, 10:34 AM |#411  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 6,474

Donate to Me
More
Do you hear what the blue is nookin'?
So....

everyone who installed HC yesterday...

Fire up your bitorrent clients... it's time to get it again!

V02!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)