" CACHE NOT FOUND " and Other Errors.
...and How to Install the Latest Version of GCzII
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
The latest version of GCzII is 0.2.35.68
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
* * * * * This is an interim release - you will have to update as noted below. AppToDate will not update interim releases! * * * * *
How to get the latest version of GCzII:
You will find the GCz's version number displayed in the lower left corner of the main screen.
New Install or Upgrade to a Cabbed Release
GCzII is installed from the posted version on the Nicque.com site (HERE
). You can install it either on your device memory or an SD card.
If you have a touchscreen phone, you have a choice of the Professional Version (no "GS" or "STD" in the file name) or the Gesture Scrolling version. The Gesture Scrolling version give the added capability of finger scrolling. Install GCzII from the cab file.
If you want the Gesture Scrolling version, after you install the Professional Version .cab file described above, copy the GCzII.exe file in the " . . . . . _GS.zip" file into your \Program Files\GCzII folder, overwriting the one placed there by the cab file installation.
If you have a non-touchscreen phone, after you install the Professional Version .cab file described above, copy the GCzII.exe file in the " . . . . . _STD.zip" file into your \Program Files\GCzII folder, overwriting the one placed there by the cab file installation.
Interim Version Install (GCzII Already Installed)
An interim version release is one where the update has been posted in this forum, but is not posted in cab form on the GCzII web site. You can update to an interim version of GCzII after GCzII has been installed from a cab file on the GCzII web site. Download the appropriate update (Professional, Gesture Scrolling or STD for non-touchscreen phones) in zip file format from HERE
. Unzip the GCzII.exe file and copy it over the existing one in \Program Files\GCzII.
3. If you encounter errors while running the program after upgrading from a previous version, you may need to empty the contents of the Cache_DB folder. By default it is located in \Program Files\GCzII, but you may have moved it to your storage card. See the "NOTE" below for additional cautions regarding emptying \Cache_DB.
" Cache not found " and Other Errors
Several conditions may generate errors:
1. You are not running the latest version. Upgrade as noted above.
2. Your language setting on the geocaching.com website is not set to ENGLISH. Check your setting by going to your account page and clicking on the "Your Account Details" link. The language setting is at the bottom in the "Your Preferences" box.
3. Cached caches stored in the GCzII cache folder (\Cache_DB) may be causing issues. Try deleting the files in this folder.
NOTE: Deleting the files in \Cache_DB will also delete waypoints and notes
. Waypoints (.wpt) and notes (.pwi) are saved in each cache folder (the folder name is the GC code.) If you do not want to lose this information, back these files up. THIS POST
describes how one user selectively deletes files in \Cache_DB.
4. If you have a GCzII skin installed, try uninstalling it. If that corrects the problem, check if there is an updated skin and install that one.
Distance Measurements in Lists
If you are a Groundspeak basic member, you'll need to use the "Download All Caches", "Reload from Cache Detail" or "Menu, Sort By" functions in the list view to obtain some distance measurements and cache size details in lists. You may wish to change the number of caches you display in a list to make the list regeneration go faster. (From the main screen, Menu, Option, Download Settings.)
Distance and size info in lists has only been implemented for:
- Postal Code/Address
- Cache Code
- Current Location
Getting a "Log Submit" Error???
If you have too many trackables in your possession, you may get a "log submit" error when you try to post a log with GCzII. This occurs when you have more than 5 trackables in your inventory. To fix this problem, you need to move some of the trackables in your inventory to your collection
so that you have no more than 5 in your inventory
You can move trackables between your inventory and your collection on the GC.com web site. You will see links for both categories at the top of your profile page. Items in your collection can't be dropped into caches, but you can move them back to your inventory to drop them.
If you still encounter problems after reducing the number in your inventory, try deleting your fieldnotes.txt (once you have what you need from it). A corrupt fieldnotes.txt has also caused "log submit" issues.
Still Need Help???
If you are still running into problems, or need help with the features and functions of GCzII, check out the DEDICATED FORUM
. It can be tricky to find the answers in this huge thread, so the forum has been set up to make finding help easier. Please use it!
There are a number of people here willing to help you. But to be honest, we seem to answer the same questions over and over again. We'll be glad to help you, but you need to do your part first. Here's what we suggest:
1. Read the last 5 pages of posts and try the things that have been suggested. Most of the time, the solution has been posted recently. If you don't want to take the time to read the last few pages, why should we take the time to restate, again, what we just posted not too long ago?
2. Post the version of GCz that you are using. Believe it or not, there is a chance that you may not have the current version installed.
3. State whether or not you have deleted the contents of \Cache_DB.
4. Confirm that on Geocaching.com, your language is set to "English".
Finally, make sure you have read and followed the instructions contained in this post. Twice.
If you've worked your way through the above and are still having an issue, post here using the guidelines above, and we'll be glad to help. Or, go to the dedicated GCzII forum
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Check the developer's page for the next full version release:
Also check the dedicated GCz forum for info and updates: http://gczii.newstarforum.com