[APP] Facebook Outlook Sync for Sense 2.5

Search This thread

cajunflavoredbob

May 1, 2010
Your Basement
Thanks for the cool little App. Tried it out and after finaly deciding which version could be the newer one. I picked probably the wrong one. :p Uninstalled the old one and installed the other one and it ran through much better.

I guess I was just the 100th person to thank you. :) In remembrance I took a screenshot. So now move your a.. and finish this app. lol

Not meant very seriously. If I may the App Icon needs a little touch up. After all first impressions count. Acctualy an App that messes with Contacts I want to be sure that it does not mix them up. It doesent seemed to just for people reading this. But the Icon does not leave that impression. Made a Backup first of my Contacts just to be sure. ;) Which should be done anyway so that might be acctualy a good thing. lol

Ok I am done critizing. It seems I am not getting anywhere as you can see. There is a silver lining in everything. Appreciate that you help keep WM alive with good ideas.

Nice icons. My favorite was the second one.

attachment.php

swiss420

Jul 15, 2007
www.swiss420.ch
Just thought I would create some inspiration for you. If you need anything from them just let me know. The Second one I just redone from scratch to make the edges much nicer and lay down the facebook icon to match the Outlook logo.

I like your icon. It serves its purpose. If anyone would wait for me to make something he would get a whole bunch of icons and only a crapy programm. I prefer it your way and not intentionaly calling your Icon crapy. lol

phalkon30

Aug 23, 2009
New version uploaded to post #1.
Should fix all crash issues.
If any errors occur, they should be trapped with a message.
Please post any screen shots of the error.

If you are using an energy rom, with a compact (panel for sure) start menu, switch to the normal start menu first. Then install it. Then switch back to whatever start menu that you want. If you don't do it this way, the shortcut will go to the wrong place. The compact start menu is the cause of the problem. If I correct for it, it won't work correctly for the normal start menu or international ROMs.

All other reported issues should be corrected.

I haven't tried it yet, but from my experience using the compact panel start menu, a reboot fixes the issues with the icons going to the wrong folder. The XDA Facebook app does that, and a reboot places the icon in the correct folder.

swiss420

Jul 15, 2007
www.swiss420.ch
Played around some more with designs and made these mokups which might give you an ideas on how to design it a little bit.

Attachments

• FB2OApp_DeepSea_Preview.jpg
    FB2OApp_DeepSea_Preview.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 44
  • FB2OApp_Sunrise_Preview.jpg
    FB2OApp_Sunrise_Preview.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 38
  • FB2OApp_DeepSea2_Preview.jpg
    FB2OApp_DeepSea2_Preview.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 36
  • FB2OApp_Colorfull_Preview.jpg
    FB2OApp_Colorfull_Preview.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 49
  • FB2OApp_Split2_Preview.jpg
    FB2OApp_Split2_Preview.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 37
  • FB2OApp_Split5_Preview.jpg
    FB2OApp_Split5_Preview.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 26
  • FB2OApp_Sunrise_1_Preview.jpg
    FB2OApp_Sunrise_1_Preview.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 21
  • FB2OApp_DeepSea1_Preview.jpg
    FB2OApp_DeepSea1_Preview.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Reactions: JVH3

JVH3

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 24, 2008
Minneapolis
www.twitter.com
Played around some more with designs and made these mockups which might give you an ideas on how to design it a little bit.

Looks nice. I like how the button and the image are framed.

I can load an image for the background. Then a user can modify that however they see fit and I'll default to one of these.

If you can upload the images for keep outlook and the replace with, then I can add those as images and handle the onclick. I assume they have a transparent background.

-----

My main initial concern was getting the function done. But this will make it much nicer.

I'll also need to add some reg entry so the user can control the font color.

This is going to need to wait until at least Friday night before I will be able to get to it. Probably Saturday though.

Thanks for all the designs. They will really polish it up.

Last edited:

JVH3

Nov 24, 2008
Minneapolis
www.twitter.com
Repacked some of the Graphics and Icons, hope this helps.

I uploaded a new version using the graphics you uploaded.

So, it has the icon, the background, and images instead of the buttons.

Currently only tested on WVGA.

I did not make it skinable yet. I ran into some wierd issues.
For background color, transparent is not properly supported by the compact dot net framework. So, the buttons kept having a white background. I got around it by editting the png files. There are other ways to get around it.

And for standard icons, you can have transparent, but not various levels of transparancy.

Next version will be skinable.

JVH3

Nov 24, 2008
Minneapolis
www.twitter.com
Tested version 1002 on VGA and WVGS - screen captures

I tested this on both my Fuze and Tilt 2. (Raphael and Rhodium).

I took some scren captures.

The graphics by swiss420 are great.

Next version will have automatic scheduling and skinable graphics.

Going to see if Swiss420 can move the some of the image up a little bit so that VGA will look better.

Attachments

• VGA_FB2_Outlook.jpg
    VGA_FB2_Outlook.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 22
  • WVGA_FB2_Outlook.jpg
    WVGA_FB2_Outlook.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 19
  • WVGA_FB2_Outlook_Start.jpg
    WVGA_FB2_Outlook_Start.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 15

swiss420

Jul 15, 2007
www.swiss420.ch
Just tried version 1002 but it gives me a .net error as soon as I press on start. See Screenshots. Maybe the same bug from the first version?

Will get right on the VGA Version. I will use your screenshot to see how much I have to move them up. Also will redo the buttons with absolut borders and clear transparancies.

Attachments

• Screenshot4.jpg
    Screenshot4.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot3.jpg
    Screenshot3.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot2.jpg
    Screenshot2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot1.jpg
    Screenshot1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

JVH3

Nov 24, 2008
Minneapolis
www.twitter.com
Just tried version 1002 but it gives me a .net error as soon as I press on start. See Screenshots. Maybe the same bug from the first version?

Will get right on the VGA Version. I will use your screenshot to see how much I have to move them up. Also will redo the buttons with absolut borders and clear transparancies.

Not sure what is causing the crash.

It sound like this is happening before even pressing the Start button for you.

Is it installed to the device or the storage card?

It shouldn't matter though. The images are loaded in be setting the property during design time, not at runtime.

[EDIT]
Actually, the 4th pic makes me think it happened after pressing the start button. And the exception being directory not found.
It will look in the directory \Windows\FBContacts\

If it does not find an image for the 1st contact in the list, it will give this exception.

To avoid the error, for now.
Go to the facebook tab.
Force an update.
If that contact has an image and in facebook, you have access, it will download it.
Then run the app.

I will add exception handling to that initial image load.

Last edited:

swiss420

Jul 15, 2007
www.swiss420.ch
I apologize it was a new flash and I have not logged in with Facebook yet. Any chance you can check for that when starting the App or just a little note before pressing start for noobs like me. ;)

Adjusted some of the graphics for VGA. Can you load two different background depending on the resolution or does the background have to work for both. Anyway check to see what you think about the attached stuff.

Attachments

• VGA.7z
    207.3 KB · Views: 9
  • VGA_FB2_Outlook_moveup_alittle.jpg
    VGA_FB2_Outlook_moveup_alittle.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 17

JVH3

Nov 24, 2008
Minneapolis
www.twitter.com
I apologize it was a new flash and I have not logged in with Facebook yet. Any chance you can check for that when starting the App or just a little note before pressing start for noobs like me. ;)

Adjusted some of the graphics for VGA. Can you load two different background depending on the resolution or does the background have to work for both. Anyway check to see what you think about the attached stuff.

It's simpler on the coding end if the same background works for both VGA and WVGA.

Everything is intitially positioned using the layout editor.

But, I can detect the screen resolution when the form loads. Then, before anything is displayed, I can programatically move and resize anything that needs to be for VGA.

I noticed that the size for the profile pictures is smaller. I can adjust for this, but I think it would be better if the size of that remained the same.

I also would like to display the contact name closer to the pics, but it would run right into the icon that is at the top center.

I am going to work with some controls that are free that should allow the background for text to be transparant and also the background for images to also work so I don't need to square the corners of the buttons. It was made with Visual Studio 2005. I should be able to convert it to Visual Studio 2008 though.

Thanks for all your help with the graphics. It looks alot better with what you have given.

I will be putting a mention on the About page that the graphics came from you.

swiss420

Jul 15, 2007
www.swiss420.ch
No need to make the code too complicated. :) Let me adjust it so it works for both. I will attach them in a couple of minutes.

Attachments

• VGA_FB2_Outlook_3a.jpg
    VGA_FB2_Outlook_3a.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 18
  • VGA_FB2_Outlook_3b.jpg
    VGA_FB2_Outlook_3b.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 17
  • VGA_FB2_Outlook_3c.jpg
    VGA_FB2_Outlook_3c.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 14
  • VGA_FB2_Outlook_3d.jpg
    VGA_FB2_Outlook_3d.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 15
  • FB2OutlookContactPicSync.7z
    4.1 MB · Views: 6
  • VGA_FB2_Outlook_4a.jpg
    VGA_FB2_Outlook_4a.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 15
  • VGA_FB2_Outlook_4b.jpg
    VGA_FB2_Outlook_4b.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 13
  • VGA_FB2_Outlook_4c.jpg
    VGA_FB2_Outlook_4c.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

swiss420

Jul 15, 2007
www.swiss420.ch
Ah there are so many different possabilities. :) Here one with a box for the name and on top a box for the text.

Attachments

• VGA_FB2_Outlook_Name_Callout.jpg
    VGA_FB2_Outlook_Name_Callout.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 14
  • VGA_FB2_Outlook_Name_Callout_Simple.jpg
    VGA_FB2_Outlook_Name_Callout_Simple.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 15
  • FB2OutlookContactPicSync_Part2.7z
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

JVH3

Nov 24, 2008
Minneapolis
www.twitter.com
New version posted / Fully Skinnable WVGA and VGA

NEW VERSION Uploaded (Feb 4, 2011): FB2ContactPicSync_v1003.CAB
Fully skinnable. Skinned with graphics by Swiss420
Images now fill the whole space.
And the potential for the initial contact crash is fixed.
And the skinning can use pngs with transparency.
And it should be installable to the storage card now.

Last edited:

swiss420

Jul 15, 2007
www.swiss420.ch
Nice job

Looks and works great. Forgot to login to Facebook again so I had to click through the amount of messages as I have Contacts with images until I was able to exit the App. It realy does not exit when a error is encountered. lol On the second try with Facebook connected it ran through perfectly.

JVH3

Nov 24, 2008
Minneapolis
www.twitter.com
Looks and works great. Forgot to login to Facebook again so I had to click through the amount of messages as I have Contacts with images until I was able to exit the App. It realy does not exit when a error is encountered. lol On the second try with Facebook connected it ran through perfectly.

I should probably add some code to detect if that directory is empty.

Maybe instead of a message box, I display a form for the error. Then I can put a menu option to exit the app.

JVH3

Nov 24, 2008
Minneapolis
www.twitter.com

When you press the buttons, it changes the image to KeepPressed.png or ReplacePressed.png

But, they are the same image in this release.

If you feel like making images for pressed, they can just drop right in.

If you look in program files\FB2ContactPicSync, you will see the png files.

Reactions: swiss420

swiss420

Jul 15, 2007
www.swiss420.ch
Just for the fun of it I tried your app on a HDMini. I got so mad I broke the screen. lol Just kidding works fine just my background image is offcourse missaligned for that resolution but your app adjusts fine to it. Unfortunately the HDMini belongs to my Ex Girlfriend so I was only allowed a quick try. Now that we can exchange the graphics ourself I can go nuts with designs. lol Will post some when I get around to it. Attached is a Picture of the HDMini. And the screen did not brake because of JVH3 app. :) My excuse for not fixing it yet is that parts from China have not arrived. Which is true but they also have not been ordered yet. The truth, taking that HDMini apart is extremely annoying and already the second time I have to do it for her. Anyway she is happy with the app which is saying allot.

Attachments

• HDMini.jpg
    HDMini.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fully skinnable.

I developed an app to add the facebook pic to outlook contacts.

Sense 2.5 automatically adds images to your device to be used for your contacts in Sense.

But, the image is not added to your outlook contacts.

I went through the threads that it suggested before creating this thread.

If you like this app, please use the Thanks feature of the site.

And of course donations are always appreciated;

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=7380024

What does the app do:

Interactive Mode:
    For each contact
    {
    ... if the contact is linked to facebook
    ... {
    ... ... if there is a facebook image on the phone for the contact
    ... ... {
    ... ... ... if the contact already has an image associated with it.
    ... ... ... {
    ... ... ... ... display both images, ask user if user wants to replace current with facebook image on device
    ... ... ... }
    ... ... ... else
    ... ... ... {
    ... ... ... ... display facebook image and ask to add facebook image on device to outlook contact
    ... ... ... }
    ... ... }
    ... }
    }

Later, it will also have a batch mode.

After pressing Start, give it a minute. It is looping through all contacts finding the ones that are associated to a facebook account. It stores them in a dictionary for processing with the other buttons.

Again, please use the Thanks feature and donate as you feel appropriate.

Note: initial version had over 200 downloads.
    v1001 had 190
    v1002 had about 50

I removed the other attachments, leaving only the most recent version to avoid any confusion about what should be downloaded.
    New version posted / Fully Skinnable WVGA and VGA

Fully skinnable. Skinned with graphics by Swiss420
    Tips / extras

App is fully skinnable.
    If you want to make the button look like it is pressed when you press it, there are images in the program directory for that.

All artists, please post custom images and backgrounds.

Control locations are not editable. (maybe in a future version I get screen coordinates from an ini file.) But, for now, just make images that assume things will be where they are.
    Reserving post #5

Just reserving this incase I think of something else important.
    Maybe a change log or something.
    Just wanted to share a new background