FORUMS

1-Star spamming on the android market. Anyone else had the same problem??!

97 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By dazbradbury, Member on 31st January 2011, 02:28 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has been on the end of a 1-star spamming from a "competing" developer? I say "competing", because my apps are all free!

Here is an example of someone coming along and spamming my rating:

As you can see, the application doesn't get reviewed very often. I think it must have got above the search ranks for a certain developers app, and then boom, 20 1-star ratings.

Anyone else had the same problem? You would have thought google can see it's the same person/dev and act appropriately. Imagine this is more of a problem for people trying to make money from the marketplace!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	device.jpg
Views:	1435
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	505025  
31st January 2011, 03:11 PM |#2  
Flag Carlisle
Thanks Meter: 36

More
I've had 1 star ratings from my competition (I could tell because they used their real names for their comments) but not 20 ratings all in one go like that.

Btw what app are you using to track ratings?
31st January 2011, 03:49 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
The app is Andlytics, it's excellent for tracking like this. They just pushed an update with much more detail as well. Would recommend it.

Still can't believe people would spam a free app like that. It's just sad!
31st January 2011, 03:58 PM |#4  
Flag Swansea
Thanks Meter: 53

More
You should name and shame

Also I think you should only be able to rate if you are willing to write a review for it. Would cut down on this a bit..
31st January 2011, 04:31 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coedy

You should name and shame

Also I think you should only be able to rate if you are willing to write a review for it. Would cut down on this a bit..

Well. The app above is a caller id application (NameBuzz). When you searched for "caller id", it briefly came in 3rd place, now it comes in 11th after the rating hit. So I'm assuming it's one of the developers above that... but obviously I have no way of being sure, so I can't name and shame!
1st February 2011, 01:14 PM |#6  
Flag Central Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 1,191

More
Curious, I only see 6 1 stars, and they're all basically saying "it vibrates after answering". So maybe you have a problem with specific phones?

I don't know if it helps, but you might put some text in there about how to contact you and how to contact you and that you can't help people just based on comments alone. I myself didn't realize that a developer can't contact you from a comment until after using the market for a bit.
1st February 2011, 07:00 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaytsus

Curious, I only see 6 1 stars, and they're all basically saying "it vibrates after answering". So maybe you have a problem with specific phones?

I don't know if it helps, but you might put some text in there about how to contact you and how to contact you and that you can't help people just based on comments alone. I myself didn't realize that a developer can't contact you from a comment until after using the market for a bit.

Thanks for feedback. The 20, 1-star ratings, were left WITHOUT a comment. Hence the reason you can't see who it's from (not that the name means much), and you can't see the ratings. All that happens is the app drops rating level drastically. However, from the developer console, you can see that 20 ratings have been made.

The comment about contact details, I guess I should put that in there, but I think the comments you refer to are actually quite old - since around my January release, the issues have been virtually non-existent. I think the issue here is a basic spamming of my application by someone fairly bored, and extremely sad.
6th February 2011, 09:46 PM |#9  
Flag near the place, where the romans had bitten the dust :-)
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:

As you can see, the application doesn't get reviewed very often. I think it must have got above the search ranks for a certain developers app, and then boom, 20 1-star ratings.

Ah well, it´s been reviewed today *****

"Competing" developer - that s.o.b. should be working on his developing skills instead of playing fouls. It would be a great thing, if there would be some form of mechanism/procedere to catch someone like this a......

Good luck and best wishes
germanhoss
8th February 2011, 01:25 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ugie

hey yo daz: mobilitydigest.com/thats-low

Hey doug,

That's an awesome article! haha. Wasn't expecting that kind of support! It seems like you may have had an impact as well, as my historical rating now looks like this:

Seems as though I've found someone with an non-compatible device though (hence the one star lurking in there), unfortunately, people rarely leave what phone they're using in the comments!

I think the discussion on how to improve the android ratings system is a really interesting one, and something I'm sure Google must have on their TODO list...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Andlytics2.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	512251  
8th February 2011, 03:01 PM |#11  
Flag Charlotte, NC
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I totally wish that Google would fix the rating and comments sections... You can't moderate the comments at all and people spam them with all kinds of bullshit. I frequently have users (who must be mentally retarded) leave 1 star ratings and shitty comments about my apps when a simple search would tell them that the problem is their stupid phone/carrier (an example would be streaming shoutcast on a Sprint EVO which has been broken by HTC since early December). Holy **** I could rant on and on about the comments/ratings for hours... it pisses me off every day!~

EDIT: I wanted to mention that I did get Google to remove one comment but they still left the 1 star rating... some dumbass got his credit card stolen and blamed me for it. On many occasions over the last couple of months I have seriously considered just not making anymore apps for Android because the comments/ratings sections are bullshit.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)