[NES / XNA] Super smooth NES-Emulator

Search This thread

fiinix

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 9, 2010
Stockholm
After surfing at XDA i saw this thread about NES emulator found (here) and tried it out, but soon discovered it fps'ed slow, so i created another clone of from another engine "SharpNES".

The SharpNES actualy runs faster without fps hack i did (2 CPU update, 1 CPU Draw) and gain enormous speed.

• No sound (like the other one that i know of)
  • Only one game (Super Mario Bros 3)...
  • No save

XNA is hard to make a GUI as advanced as Silverlight so no game-change or save

Well i hope you like it

__ Zip in attatch -> rename as ".xap" and deploy

*edit - added source (forgot)

Last edited:

wheresmybeaver

Jul 24, 2008
Have to say, great job. No slowdown at all. Are you going to continue to develop this or collaborate with some of the other devs working on NES emulators?

I can't wait till there's a final version. Zelda needs another visit!

fiinix

Oct 9, 2010
Stockholm
I will continue for this project, but this was a small in between job because i could not stand the other emulator (just freaked me out, making my brain explode of all the lagg). My cause of small pause is that im developing a real marketplace app at the time so thats priority 1, although im 75% done with that, later i will update (if not anyone wants to provide an UI under the time).

Zelda, yes, for those that have VS2010 can just recompile it with ".nes" file of any game and change "LoadCart( ... ) in UpdateMenu()", although tested zelda and it runs fast ... slow ... fast ... slow ?!?!

"Are you going to continue to develop this or collaborate with some of the other devs working on NES emulators?"

> Just doing what i like most, dev in Wp7 :)

ErikWithNoC

Jan 9, 2011
Maine
I wouldn't mind helping with the graphics. I used to use photoshop quite extensively until I stopped for awhile. I'm not sure how the developer tools for WP7 handles certain images (or calls for them I should say), but I can help if need be. I created some graphics for the Gameboy Color emulator on the Zune HD. I get ****loads of homework so I can't commit to doing a lot though.

fiinix

Oct 9, 2010
Stockholm
"I get ****loads of homework so I can't commit to doing a lot though."
Sure, me to :/ Just 17 so.. that makes me go to school + programming..

But as i said, got a priority 1 app that i will sell @ marketplace, so this will wait a while. sry.

Glad u asked.

Aaron McCarthy

Oct 27, 2007
what the frick... I cant for the life of me change the file format from .zip to .xap.... I'm using windows 7 and I have winrar installed.. no matter what I do it stays as a .zip file... any advice here guys? Can someone just upload the .xap file?

This is ridiculous... I feel like I'm retarded haha

fiinix

Oct 9, 2010
Stockholm
what the frick... I cant for the life of me change the file format from .zip to .xap.... I'm using windows 7 and I have winrar installed.. no matter what I do it stays as a .zip file... any advice here guys? Can someone just upload the .xap file?

Un yeah. U need to make file extensions visible by pressing [Alt] in the directory and go [Tools] > [Folder Options] > [View] > [Hide extensions from known files], then ur good to go and rename it.

Reactions: Aaron McCarthy

megagprime

Aug 6, 2008
Un yeah. U need to make file extensions visible by pressing [Alt] in the directory and go [Tools] > [Folder Options] > [View] > [Hide extensions from known files], then ur good to go and rename it.

fact is you dont even have to change the .zip extension to .xap you can deploy the zip just fine:D

nice work! but im liking tuskas better. maybe contact him and join forces ;)

i cant exit the game using the back button either lol

Last edited:

ycavan

Nov 9, 2007
I 2nd that I can't exit the game. Just have to use the windows button to get the start menu.

fiinix

Oct 9, 2010
Stockholm
Yes, the back button, i used that as [Select] and [Start] button when navigating the emulator without touch navigation (early stages). Probably forgot to delete that code =/
Good ur saying.

About Tuskas, will see how much free time i have, very "real life" busy right now.

JosepHenry

Dec 16, 2010
This is an awesome app. I guess the only problem that I have with it is that the controls are at the top thus my hands tend to block much of the screen during game time. Other than that it is amazing...no lag either!

thekiller99

Feb 9, 2009
My HTC HD7 isn't unlocked yet so how do i sync/copy the files to my phone?
Do i need my HTC HD7 unlocked to run emulators etc?

JosepHenry

Dec 16, 2010
My HTC HD7 isn't unlocked yet so how do i sync/copy the files to my phone?
Do i need my HTC HD7 unlocked to run emulators etc?

The only way to run this emulator on your phone is through side-loading. In order to do with you WILL have to unlock you phone using ChervronWP7 unlocker. There is no other way to run this app. You cant just sync/copy the files to your phone. As of right now its pretty much going to be a hit or miss when you try to unlock your phone. I have two HD7s and I had no problem unlocking either of them. Good luck!

ChevronWP7 Unlocker - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=857127

thekiller99

Feb 9, 2009
The only way to run this emulator on your phone is through side-loading. In order to do with you WILL have to unlock you phone using ChervronWP7 unlocker. There is no other way to run this app. You cant just sync/copy the files to your phone. As of right now its pretty much going to be a hit or miss when you try to unlock your phone. I have two HD7s and I had no problem unlocking either of them. Good luck!

ChevronWP7 Unlocker - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=857127

I've tried using ChevronWP7 but everytime i try to open the unlocker it goes into an error saying it can't communicate with my phone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After surfing at XDA i saw this thread about NES emulator found (here) and tried it out, but soon discovered it fps'ed slow, so i created another clone of from another engine "SharpNES".

The SharpNES actualy runs faster without fps hack i did (2 CPU update, 1 CPU Draw) and gain enormous speed.

• No sound (like the other one that i know of)
    • Only one game (Super Mario Bros 3)...
    • No save

XNA is hard to make a GUI as advanced as Silverlight so no game-change or save

Well i hope you like it

__ Zip in attatch -> rename as ".xap" and deploy

*edit - added source (forgot)
    Hi there, really love NES emulators, miss those I had on my HTC HD2, now I'm on HTC HD7. Hope the developer gets his hands back on this project to get sound and a file browser to swap .nes files. I'll definitely support (paypal) if there's such a release. :)

Are you serious? Literally the next post in the Software Dev forum is Nudua's amazing vNESLight emulator with tons of options, save states, etc.

This thread has no business at the top of the forums again. Search before you post.