New Asurion TEP App look useful but......

Search This thread

mattallica76

Jun 29, 2010
Hanover, Pa
Last edited:
Reactions: Jayavarman

jirafabo

Dec 4, 2007
Orlando
Yeah i saw that article. You bring up a really valid question. Sounds like something they would do... sneaky sneaky.

I immediately thought to myself that they'll eventually force all TEP customers to have it installed on their phones. That'd not only help lost phones be recovered more often but also give them a way to deny claims over 'stolen' phones or even rooted phones.

I definitely smell something fishy....

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

mattallica76

Jun 29, 2010
Hanover, Pa
One of the responses to the article makes a valid point-

"They won’t deny insurance claims for rooted phones. It would make no logical sense for them to cover me if I literally dropped my phone in a meat grinder and never retrieved it, but they would deny me if my phone is rooted. The permissions didn’t seem outlandish to me at all for what the app does. You can go to the market, hit the install button, and read the permissions without installing it if you’re curious, though."

sponge66

Nov 7, 2008
Alburtis, Pa
I just read about this new TEP app for Sprint customers only that has some useful features, but the paranoid side of me wonders if this app reports back to Asurion as to weather or not your phone is rooted, and if so are there any negative consequences?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...ame-sprint-tep-subscribers-reap-the-benefits/

Search the Market for Total Equipment Protection to install.
Its good stuff I recommend it to all with tep. You can go to www.sprint.com/protection after 2-28 to dl.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Last edited:

running_the_dream

Jan 10, 2011
Dub C
Thanks for the info. I am going to assume nothing fishy in terms of Asurion or Sprint surreptitiously combing your phone to see if it's rooted. The author made no mention of such a thing and stated that he has been flashing roms like crazy lately. I would think he would have made some type warning about rooting/flashing if there was a need for concern.

Top Nurse

Sep 20, 2010
Palm Bay, FL
Doesn't work on my phone and I have TEP. I'm rooted and modded six ways to Sunday....

If I get a TEP cancellation notice I will post back, but I highly doubt they would be that sneaky. I know a lot of sprint employees who would scream bloddy murder.

We need someone to flash stock, install the app, and then root it and report back. I'm guessing it has nothing to do with the root, but more to do with running a custom OS.

Sent from Bonsai v 5.0.3

Last edited:

mattallica76

Jun 29, 2010
Hanover, Pa
Doesn't work on my phone and I have TEP. I'm rooted and modded six ways to Sunday....

If I get a TEP cancellation notice I will post back, but I highly doubt they would be that sneaky. I know a lot of sprint employees who would scream bloddy murder.

We need someone to flash stock, install the app, and then root it and report back. I'm guessing it has nothing to do with the root, but more to do with running a custom OS.

Sent from Bonsai v 5.0.3

Yeah, it probably reads the user keys in the build.prop.

running_the_dream

Jan 10, 2011
Dub C
Maybe there's an issue with a specific rom. The author said he's been flashing tons of roms and didn't report an issue with the install. Did you download through tnt market or sprint?

Bradart

Jan 9, 2008
Belleville, IL
Yeah I'm the author. I have an evo, but can confirm it working on 3 htc sense based roms, cyanogenmod 6,cyanogenmod 7, and MIUI.

Thank you guys for reading, by the way. This community is amazing and I'm proud to be a member.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: boominz28

running_the_dream

Jan 10, 2011
Dub C
You know it may be a firmware issue. When I went through the steps using the link from the article, eventually I get to a screen where I'm asked to choose my device. For the Epic, it has 2.1 under it; indicating that it is for Epics running Eclair. I'm on 2.2 and I got the same message you all received. Are y'all also on 2.2?

Top Nurse

Sep 20, 2010
Palm Bay, FL
Yeah I'm the author. I have an evo, but can confirm it working on 3 htc sense based roms, cyanogenmod 6,cyanogenmod 7, and MIUI.

Thank you guys for reading, by the way. This community is amazing and I'm proud to be a member.

So perhaps it is a DK28 issue. Who has it running on the epic? Need to know which OS and Rom to figure this out.

Sent from Bonsai v 5.0.3

Last edited:

sponge66

Nov 7, 2008
Alburtis, Pa
The app will not even install if you not using a stock Rom. It sees it as an unsupported device. Right from the faq on the site

Why is the Protection Application not working on my phone, even when I have a compatible device?

We do our best to stay up to date with the latest Sprint certified releases, but it’s possible we have not yet certified the Protection application for the latest update to your handset's operating system. Please check back again for a future update. Thank you for your interest in the Protection Application and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Please note: We do not support rooted Android devices. The Protection Application is only compatible with operating systems that are Sprint certified and unmodified for your device.

Top Nurse

Sep 20, 2010
Palm Bay, FL
If that were true how did the author get it to work on a rommed evo? I still think it is from the OS we are using.

Sent from Bonsai v 5.0.3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just read about this new TEP app for Sprint customers only that has some useful features, but the paranoid side of me wonders if this app reports back to Asurion as to weather or not your phone is rooted, and if so are there any negative consequences?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...ame-sprint-tep-subscribers-reap-the-benefits/

Search the Market for Total Equipment Protection to install.

If that were true how did the author get it to work on a rommed evo? I still think it is from the OS we are using.

Sent from Bonsai v 5.0.3

I think it's the release keys in our build.prop. Those of us running leaked dk28 based ROMs are using release keys for the Nexus One that allow protected apps to show in the Market. The EVO already has legit release keys for Froyo, so they don't have to fool the market.
    I think it's the release keys in our build.prop. Those of us running leaked dk28 based ROMs are using release keys for the Nexus One that allow protected apps to show in the Market. The EVO already has legit release keys for Froyo, so they don't have to fool the market.

That's a very good point, however it also works on gingerbread for the evo. If you guys can find a real, replicable reason it fails, I can update the post to help future users.

No. Running the last version of Bonzai RFS.

What does your phone say under "Build number" in Settings/About phone?