Kyocera Zio M6000 - Android 2.2!!! cricket

Search This thread

phazei

Feb 17, 2008
Seattle
EDIT: We now have our own forum section:
http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1060
Please check there to see if there's a relevant thread for any new topics or issues, if not, make one.

---
Well, that last thread went on FOREVER, I thought a new one might be needed.

This is the continuation from the old thread.

The 2.2 upgrade is here with instructions:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11551718&postcount=1067

Important note: The update will officially be OTA, so you don't need to do this yourself manually here. The OTA will be out shortly. The method provided at that link is for the technically inclined.
If it gets stuck on 98% for a while, that's fine, don't worry about it. Just keep it connected and wait, it can take 30min. Not a problem.
And if you lost your Kyocera logo while messing with the boot image, IT'S BACK :D:D

I'm really hoping they fixed the boot loader and perhaps we can get Clockwork Mod working on it again, without it trying to connect to Verizon!

ROOTING
The 1-click root that worked for 1.6 works just the same for 2.2

ISSUES
There doesn't seem to be any multi-touch enabled.
Either the accelerometer or compass is broken, both google sky maps and the compass app jitter around A LOT.

Improvements
All around speed increase.
Camera takes pictures in focus and captures when pressing the button rather than 1+ seconds later.
Night pictures have much better contrast.
Gallery scans 8gb card a single time and opens fast all times after.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loggerhead87

Spz0

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 23, 2010
hehe, I was going to start a thread, but thought it fitting to wait for you to do it. ;)

Perhaps we should muscle xda again for a ZIO section, or at least a cricket android section? o.0

phazei

Feb 17, 2008
Seattle
That's why I was asking people to start new threads starting with "Kyocera Zio M6000 - my issue here" so hopefully the general forum would be flooded... That didn't seem to go too well, there are over 1000 posts in the original thread. Can we beat that here? :D

Spz0

Sep 23, 2010
lol hopefully not. Now that 2.2 is live (somewhat) I think people will now be more inclined to start new zio threads instead of bombarding the most popular one.

Fate43

Sep 19, 2010
Kannapolis
www.facebook.com
I love this update it made the phone everything it should have been from the start. All the great performance enhancements and cool new features are awesome, I cant stop playing with my phone. I think my new favorite thing is the new lock screen, and the slide to answer feature.

Spz0

Sep 23, 2010
any clue what the "kyocerafailsafetool" is? Its a background app.

Unrelated note: Im going to have to get use to the fact that I dont have to push my task killer widget everytime I open/close an app. lol

Dec 23, 2010
apps 2 sd

hi i am looking for instructions to do the apps2sd can anyone point me in the direction for that? also i noticed that all the bloatware is back, is it still safe to remove it same as before? and i guess we still need barnacle to have wifi hotspot.:confused: thanks!!! so we dont need taskkiller anymore for 2.2?

Last edited:

Spz0

Sep 23, 2010
apps2sd is located in your application management settings -- just click an app and there will be an option (if available) to "Move to SD"

Should be alright to remove all the crappy demo games and bloatware.

Yes for barnacle.

tlc08071

Feb 18, 2011
Paulsboro
anyone find a way to upgrade to the 2.2 for Zio cricket yet? I just now found out that they finally got it out. I was told though that the only way to get it is to take my phone to a Corp store and they have to do it.
I've been searching all over the net for an hour now trying to find it to do myself but with no avail. it's getting very tiring and frustrating cause i don't have a ride to get to the dam store I need to get to for them to do it.

phazei

Feb 17, 2008
Seattle
Woohoo !! I got my Kyocera logo back. Took forever at 98%, glad I waited, I'm rolling. I did a factory reset right before the update, but I think it would have wiped everything anyway.

phazei

Feb 17, 2008
Seattle
anyone find a way to upgrade to the 2.2 for Zio cricket yet? I just now found out that they finally got it out. I was told though that the only way to get it is to take my phone to a Corp store and they have to do it.
I've been searching all over the net for an hour now trying to find it to do myself but with no avail. it's getting very tiring and frustrating cause i don't have a ride to get to the dam store I need to get to for them to do it.

WTF, did you even bother reading the first post? Just a single post? GO LOOK AT IT

tlc08071

Feb 18, 2011
Paulsboro
oops sorry I just found the thread showing the download for the upgrade and how to do it. sorry again i should have read into it more on here for i sent the question about it. now i'm going to see if i have the time before i have to leave to get it done and if i can figure it out. lol wish me luck and i'll let you know how it went. hopefully I don't fk my phone up. lol

Spz0

Sep 23, 2010
I know, I was super stoked to get my logo back. Perhaps they've changed the way the OS handles factory resets - perhaps not on the recovery partition anymore? o_O

Woohoo !! I got my Kyocera logo back. Took forever at 98%, glad I waited, I'm rolling. I did a factory reset right before the update, but I think it would have wiped everything anyway.

Sent from my Zio using XDA App

tlc08071

Feb 18, 2011
Paulsboro
I know, I was super stoked to get my logo back. Perhaps they've changed the way the OS handles factory resets - perhaps not on the recovery partition anymore? o_O

Sent from my Zio using XDA App

I'm downloading the things needed for the upgrade now. they are in WinRAR format. can you explain how exaclty I have to go about doing it so i don't mess my phone up? Thank you. in advance for any help you can give me.

Spz0

Sep 23, 2010
As stated in another thread:

Im now waiting to read all the "I somehow bricked my device" posts bound to show up..
So someones gotta say it..
Lets be clear: if you dont think you can update your phone yourself using zclusives method, DONT!

Wait for the OTA update.
Please...

Wait for the update...
If you feel comfortable, then please read the instructions zclusive has provided CAREFULLY AND TO THE LETTER, and you shouldnt have any problems.

tlc08071

Feb 18, 2011
Paulsboro
dam download of the upgrade taking forever on my junk network

Its taking me some time to get the download I need, but in the mean time, can someone explain in detail how I should go about doing it?
I'm worried someone might try calling or txting me while its being done. Hope that won't screw things up. I'm still going to try it either way.
Before I start I'm going to do a system restore on my phone first then go ahead with the upgrade from there. Only problem I'm really having is it's in a WinRaR zip file. Do i have to extract the files in the zip first before upgrading, transfer it to the sd card on my phone and go from there? what I have no clue yet but looking for the answers. problem is I only have till 7:00pm tonight to get it done cause i have to be somewhere at 7:30pm till 9pm.
I would like to have it done before i leave if possible.

Dec 23, 2010
apps to sd

ok thank you Spz0 i have got a new 8gb sd card that was the biggest i could find on such short notice, so just format it with the phone and then replace all the files off old sd card to new one ? was just making sure so i dont mess it up. what are some good apps for 2.2 that wouldnt work on 1.6 i have phone rooted with universal androot installed apps are titanium backup,root explorer,quick app cache cleaner,better keyboard,adw ex launcher,andguard,astro file browser,beautiful widgets,dropbox,memory up pro. i have found a place to get apps and install from sd card for anyone that wants to try the apps and make sure they work or are what you want before purchasing them and installing them,just go here http://www.4shared.com/ and use search for apps for android apps you want to try. i then get them from market and pay for them if they work and are what i want. saves me from getting something that doesnt work,and then trying to get a refund from market. ok hope this helps everyone. tommy;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good news everybody!

We get our own Zio forum later on this week!

I talked to svetius and he's hooking us up :D
    reboot phone

tlc08071 after update says:D:D finished unplug phone from computer restart phone you will see kyocera logo then after a bit it will go to android like it is booting up it will take awhile mine did it will then finish the update , dont to try to turn it off during this step it will not be good. it just takes like 4 minutes be patient then phone should start. ·

· The tethered upgrade process will take about 10 minutes (progress will be show via status bar in-tool). Thereafter it will power-cycle and wake-up. This may take several minutes as the new system boots on the handset, please be patient.

o You can confirm the SW version as follows: Menu > Settings > About Phone, scroll down to confirm Android Version = 2.2.1 and Build Number = V1.900CR.9C.

· Ensure date & time automatic network provided values are reset; otherwise date & time will not auto-update.

o Go to Menu > Settings > Date & time.

o Touch Automatic twice to reset.

o Ensure Automatic is checked.

· Ensure screen timeout is turned back on; otherwise the display will consume the battery quickly.

o Go to Menu > Settings > Sound and Display > Screen Timeout

o Set to 15 seconds or 30 seconds
    EDIT: We now have our own forum section:
    http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1060
    Please check there to see if there's a relevant thread for any new topics or issues, if not, make one.

---
    Well, that last thread went on FOREVER, I thought a new one might be needed.

This is the continuation from the old thread.

The 2.2 upgrade is here with instructions:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11551718&postcount=1067

Important note: The update will officially be OTA, so you don't need to do this yourself manually here. The OTA will be out shortly. The method provided at that link is for the technically inclined.
    If it gets stuck on 98% for a while, that's fine, don't worry about it. Just keep it connected and wait, it can take 30min. Not a problem.
    And if you lost your Kyocera logo while messing with the boot image, IT'S BACK :D:D

I'm really hoping they fixed the boot loader and perhaps we can get Clockwork Mod working on it again, without it trying to connect to Verizon!

ROOTING
    The 1-click root that worked for 1.6 works just the same for 2.2

ISSUES
    There doesn't seem to be any multi-touch enabled.
    Either the accelerometer or compass is broken, both google sky maps and the compass app jitter around A LOT.

Improvements
    All around speed increase.
    Camera takes pictures in focus and captures when pressing the button rather than 1+ seconds later.
    Night pictures have much better contrast.
    Gallery scans 8gb card a single time and opens fast all times after.
    apps2sd is located in your application management settings -- just click an app and there will be an option (if available) to "Move to SD"

Should be alright to remove all the crappy demo games and bloatware.

Yes for barnacle.
    No data after flashing Cricket Zio M6000?

I flashed my(Cricket) Kyocera Zio M6000, and had no data connection since. Sometimes, when I mess with the network settings, such as airplane mode, the 3G icon appears for a moment. (Cricket).

Also, all items related to Cricket are no longer on my phone at all.
    After a restore it says "MSM76..." in place of "ZIO" I found that that hardware ID is actually Qualcomm ID.

My girlfriend has the same phone with Cricket, and has no issues. installed clockwork on hers, but was able to restore it. How do I dump her stuff and use it to restore mine to working order?

This can be solved with stock imgs. Find them or dump them from your girls phone. Read. If you flashed anything you sound more then capable of reading thru the dev section of the Zio. Good luck. It sounds like you flashed wrong or the wrong imgs.

Sent from my Sensation using xda premium