[20 Jan][Guide]Get unlock keys for your HD2 WP7 in India and other countries!

Search This thread

akshay2000

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 24, 2009
Kanpur
indestructible.in
BUMP: Microsoft again has changed the policies! Chat seems to be working again!
Thanks to members for the tip. I had a little talk with one of the fellow MS employes and he said, actual WP7 customers were suffering due to the policy change. People were finding it frustrating to have to send scanned copies. So, they made it easier.Enjoy!

BUMP: Microsoft has changed the policies! Now they need scanned copy of IMEI number and product purchase proof! If anybody is able to get key by any other method, do post in this thread!

Hello, people!

I see lots of people asking for unlock keys for there HD2-7, just because their country doesn't seem to have the call center. However, I have found that, Microsoft is supporting all the big countries!

If you find this guide helpful, don't forget to hit the 'Thanks' button.

Here is the guide.

1. First of all, you need the contact number of Microsoft call center in your country.
Go here and grab it. http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/
I have found it working for India!

2. Now, I think calls in most of the countries will be answered by the IVRS (Interactive Voice Response System). Most probably, you will get lost in choosing menu options.

3. Simply wait for the last option where the system says that press __ to talk to our technical support person. (In India, you have to type 06)

4. Now, the person will receive you. Tell him your Windows Live Id and all other things. (you need not fake!) And tell them your issue. He may say that you are in wrong section! Ask him to transfer his call to product activation section for WP7. (All this is to avoid getting lost in IVRS menu!)

5. Now, your call will be transfered. Tell the person that you want to activate your HTC HD7! (Make sure, its launched in your country.)

6. That's it! The person confirms your Live ID and gives you the key. (Its kinda difficult though to get 25 characters correctly through phone. Make sure you take down everything correctly!)

7. If step 3 onwards doesn't work (like technical support person doesn't know what you're talking about) tell them the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2431699 and tell him that this is I want.

8. Alternatively, you can navigate to Xbox live support and ask them for key. (You have to tell them that you were asked for the key when you tried to access the Xbox live from your HD7)

9. Method of Skype is good but won't work on poor connections. (and most of the connections fall in this category, as far as developing countries are concerned!)

Again, I need your feedback. Comments are most welcome (and so are thanks!) Please, buy me a cup of milk, if you wish! (I don't like beer! :p)People in India can use SBI net banking. (PM me for account number!)

Hope you enjoy it.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2010
hey akshay! Thanks for the detailed description. BTW i had no issue with activation key as that was butter smooth to get from MS India. As the HD2 now activated, how do you install apps from Marketplace as for me it doesnt download any apps from marketplace.
I tried these methods already
1. Clean install of WP7, activation of Live services by activation key and then logging in to marketplace via both region being India as well as US. It would show message something like "Can't get info right now, try later"
2. I also tried registry editing to as in here. Then tried connecting to marketplace. Error pop up as Marketplace not available in your location.
3. I did regedit on my Windows 7 to access marketplace using Zune desktop, which is a success, it opens and registers my choices, also show that your app will be installed soon, but no app is installed.
4. Finally i downloaded WP7 Desktop Marketplace, i works fine, downloads, as well as deploys apps to my phone but show error in a few app deployment. As of now this is the only work around for me with a few limitations.

If you able to access marketplace and download apps directly to your mobile or by any other better way, please guide me.

alexdil

Nov 14, 2008
To all:

Why so difficult?

Please go to here: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_sc_selector_chat?ws=support#

Choose the top chat. Wait a minute. Tell them you need a activation code for your WP7 phone. They ask name and phone number. After waiting another minute they give it to you.

Last question they have: Did it work? You say YES!

(I did this three times - for myself, my wife and a friend)

WOW !!! +1 for this i cannot believe it . actually worked - do u think we will be black listed in the future ?

surferjox

Jan 25, 2009
Yeah i really say the same! It really works. Better to chat with the support, instead of talking and phone waiting. Took me about 3 minutes until i got my key! REALLY NICE! +1

akshay2000

May 24, 2009
Kanpur
indestructible.in
hey akshay! Thanks for the detailed description. BTW i had no issue with activation key as that was butter smooth to get from MS India. As the HD2 now activated, how do you install apps from Marketplace as for me it doesnt download any apps from marketplace.
1. Clean install of WP7, activation of Live services by activation key and then logging in to marketplace via both region being India as well as US. It would show message something like "Can't get info right now, try later"
2. I also tried registry editing to as in here. Then tried connecting to marketplace. Error pop up as Marketplace not available in your location.
3. I did regedit on my Windows 7 to access marketplace using Zune desktop, which is a success, it opens and registers my choices, also show that your app will be installed soon, but no app is installed.
4. Finally i downloaded WP7 Desktop Marketplace, i works fine, downloads, as well as deploys apps to my phone but show error in a few app deployment. As of now this is the only work around for me with a few limitations.

If you able to access marketplace and download apps directly to your mobile or by any other better way, please guide me.

I think, you should not do these things alternatively. You better perform everything stepwise according to the guide posted in HD2 WP7 section. It should work.

akshay2000

May 24, 2009
Kanpur
indestructible.in
To all:

Why so difficult?

Please go to here: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_sc_selector_chat?ws=support#

Choose the top chat. Wait a minute. Tell them you need a activation code for your WP7 phone. They ask name and phone number. After waiting another minute they give it to you.

Dude, its great. But sad that many of the times its not available here! I didn't have any luck with it!

Jan 11, 2010
I think, you should not do these things alternatively. You better perform everything stepwise according to the guide posted in HD2 WP7 section. It should work.
I did all as mentioned but as WP7 not officially launched by MS in India, no marketplace availability. Also Zune Marketplace app download issue is resolved, just a few more tweaks required and done. Now I am comfortably installing free apps from Marketplace using Zune. Also have a lot many Xbox Live games but wont post any links here as it would be piracy...no piracy on XDA.

Tanmay®

Oct 13, 2009
Mumbai
www.tanmay.me

Your problem is clearly related to your Live ID belonging to an unsupported Country.

Create a new Live ID with Region set to US and you should be fine.

akshay2000

May 24, 2009
Kanpur
indestructible.in
Please, use other methods.

no luck.wtf.plz guide i cant make call from skype..wtf..

Well Saurabh, you really don't need to Skype at all. I know how frustrating it is! As I've clearly mentioned, you can straightway call them and get the key. Also, some users have confirmed to get it via chat support. Please, ignore Skype thing. Its not really for slow connections. Use chat support or straightway fire a call. Looks like you'll have to wait two days as its already Friday and call centers will be open on Monday.

Reply with progress!

EDIT: By the way, call center contact details for India are:
Phone: 1800 102 1100 (Toll free number accessible from Airtel land line and mobile phones
Phone: 1800 111 100 (Toll free number accessible from MTNL/BSNL land line)
Phone: +91 80 40103000

Last edited:
Reactions: saurabh88

saurabh88

Dec 5, 2008
kapadwanj
Well Saurabh, you really don't need to Skype at all. I know how frustrating it is! As I've clearly mentioned, you can straightway call them and get the key. Also, some users have confirmed to get it via chat support. Please, ignore Skype thing. Its not really for slow connections. Use chat support or straightway fire a call. Looks like you'll have to wait two days as its already Friday and call centers will be open on Monday.

Reply with progress!

Phone: 1800 102 1100 (Toll free number accessible from Airtel land line and mobile phones

got it man

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BUMP: Microsoft again has changed the policies! Chat seems to be working again!
    Thanks to members for the tip. I had a little talk with one of the fellow MS employes and he said, actual WP7 customers were suffering due to the policy change. People were finding it frustrating to have to send scanned copies. So, they made it easier.Enjoy!

BUMP: Microsoft has changed the policies! Now they need scanned copy of IMEI number and product purchase proof! If anybody is able to get key by any other method, do post in this thread!

Hello, people!

I see lots of people asking for unlock keys for there HD2-7, just because their country doesn't seem to have the call center. However, I have found that, Microsoft is supporting all the big countries!

If you find this guide helpful, don't forget to hit the 'Thanks' button.

Here is the guide.

1. First of all, you need the contact number of Microsoft call center in your country.
    Go here and grab it. http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/
    I have found it working for India!

2. Now, I think calls in most of the countries will be answered by the IVRS (Interactive Voice Response System). Most probably, you will get lost in choosing menu options.

3. Simply wait for the last option where the system says that press __ to talk to our technical support person. (In India, you have to type 06)

4. Now, the person will receive you. Tell him your Windows Live Id and all other things. (you need not fake!) And tell them your issue. He may say that you are in wrong section! Ask him to transfer his call to product activation section for WP7. (All this is to avoid getting lost in IVRS menu!)

5. Now, your call will be transfered. Tell the person that you want to activate your HTC HD7! (Make sure, its launched in your country.)

6. That's it! The person confirms your Live ID and gives you the key. (Its kinda difficult though to get 25 characters correctly through phone. Make sure you take down everything correctly!)

7. If step 3 onwards doesn't work (like technical support person doesn't know what you're talking about) tell them the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2431699 and tell him that this is I want.

8. Alternatively, you can navigate to Xbox live support and ask them for key. (You have to tell them that you were asked for the key when you tried to access the Xbox live from your HD7)

9. Method of Skype is good but won't work on poor connections. (and most of the connections fall in this category, as far as developing countries are concerned!)

Again, I need your feedback. Comments are most welcome (and so are thanks!) Please, buy me a cup of milk, if you wish! (I don't like beer! :p)People in India can use SBI net banking. (PM me for account number!)

Hope you enjoy it.
    To all:

Why so difficult?

Please, use other methods.

no luck.wtf.plz guide i cant make call from skype..wtf..

Reply with progress!

Great! Happy now! Hope, I helped you.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App
    chat is working. I got mine through chat. But the chat person asked me where did I purchase and what I am seeing on the screen of the HD7. So be ready with genuine answers. My ans were I got mine from a cousin who returned from UK and that the screen asked me ti input some code:D:D. that seemed to satisfy him and after asking for my phone number and name and gave me the code. I have used it two times.