Remove All Ads from XDA
OnePlus 6 On Sale

How I learned to love the bomb..oops, I mean how I finally got CWM working :D

4,779 posts
Thanks Meter: 610

Post Reply Email Thread
1st March 2011, 06:19 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearD

I believe (if I'm not mistaken) that ENG S-OFF is the Engineering bootloader... it's not the best way to S-Off, because it puts the Engineer's Test HBOOT onto your phone, which causes some problems for other things. Also, to get back to complete stock, you'll now need to flash a stock HBOOT as well, if I remember correctly.

I haven't had any issues yet, so hopefully I'm good I wouldn't have even ran it except for the fact that to flash other radios, you need to have it on there. I don't mind doing whatever I have to do to go back to Stock, which I don't plan on doing unless I have to send it in for warranty or insurance.

That said, I just posted it so that it might be of help to others, so I guess try it if you are having problems with CWM showing up properly, otherwise leave it alone
The Following User Says Thank You to californiarailroader For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift californiarailroader Ad-Free

1st March 2011, 06:23 AM |#12  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Gallipolis
Thanks Meter: 1,446

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiarailroader

I haven't had any issues yet, so hopefully I'm good I wouldn't have even ran it except for the fact that to flash other radios, you need to have it on there. I don't mind doing whatever I have to do to go back to Stock, which I don't plan on doing unless I have to send it in for warranty or insurance.

No doubt. I hope I never have to, either... I just remember that with an engineer hboot on the desire, it was a LOT harder to get it back to stock, and had several other issues, and that's why they did away with it in favor of non-ENG HBOOT options. I like how it opens up the phone, though. This is indeed a great find that it works with ours!

EDIT: Ahh, I found it. It's in the G2 Wiki here.

"INSTALLING ENGINEERING HBOOT (DZ/G2/DHD) - OPTIONAL and UNNECESSARY!

Assuming you've backed up your phone with Clockwork's nandroid, you can install the engineering HBOOT (bootloader), which among other things allows you to use fastboot flash (or flashing-over-usb from your computer). This is unnecessary for most users but provides additional functionality for developers.

This is totally optional and dangerous - if the write to the phone partition fails the phone will be bricked. At the moment there is no cure for a phone that has been bricked by a failed hboot install."

That very last line is why Bubby should NOT include this in his one click... you think problems are bad now, wait till someone bricks a device and we can't unbrick it! D:
1st March 2011, 07:19 AM |#13  
OP Senior Member
Flag Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)

More
Quote:

No doubt. I hope I never have to, either... I just remember that with an engineer hboot on the desire, it was a LOT harder to get it back to stock, and had several other issues, and that's why they did away with it in favor of non-ENG HBOOT options. I like how it opens up the phone, though. This is indeed a great find that it works with ours!

EDIT: Ahh, I found it. It's in the G2 Wiki here.

"INSTALLING ENGINEERING HBOOT (DZ/G2/DHD) - OPTIONAL and UNNECESSARY!

Assuming you've backed up your phone with Clockwork's nandroid, you can install the engineering HBOOT (bootloader), which among other things allows you to use fastboot flash (or flashing-over-usb from your computer). This is unnecessary for most users but provides additional functionality for developers.

This is totally optional and dangerous - if the write to the phone partition fails the phone will be bricked. At the moment there is no cure for a phone that has been bricked by a failed hboot install."

That very last line is why Bubby should NOT include this in his one click... you think problems are bad now, wait till someone bricks a device and we can't unbrick it! D:

Thanks for posting that. I was just going by what they said to do in the CoreDroid thread, and it worked for me, thankfully

"
FAQ:

Again, it's recommended that you flash radio 26.04.02.17_M2 (Orange ES 1.75.75.2 / HTC WWE 1.72.405.3) or radio_26.06.03.24_M2 (TELUS WWE 1.84.661.1) or Radio 26.05.05.27_M3 - (Orange UK 1.84.61.2)

How do I flash a new radio?
In order to flash other radios you need to have ENG S-OFF. Once your device has that read this thread to learn how to flash a radio.img

How to get ENG S-OFF:
Download the attached "easy S-OFF.zip" at the botton of this FAQ.
Extract to a folder of your choice.
Connect your phone to a computer (make sure you have USB Debugging enabled. Connect charge only!)
Open my "Desire HD easy s-off.exe", click "S-OFF it"! Allow possible SuperUser request on your phone.
There could be force closes after the process, just reboot and everything will be fine.
Done. (in bootloader it should now show ENG S-OFF)"

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=965207
1st March 2011, 07:31 AM |#14  
Flag Gallipolis

Donate to Me
More
No doubt, still a great find. It's definitely a temp cwm fix, so use as necessary, just be careful and DO NOT unplug your phone while it's flashing!
1st March 2011, 07:32 AM |#15  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

No doubt, still a great find. It's definitely a temp cwm fix, so use as necessary, just be careful and DO NOT unplug your phone while it's flashing!

For me, it was a permanent CWM fix
1st March 2011, 07:51 AM |#16  
OP Senior Member

More
Use this at YOUR OWN RISK! I take no responsibility for bricked or ruined phones, I just posted this in hopes it might help out people having CWM issues.

I just put that in my first post, hopefully it will do it's job
1st March 2011, 08:13 AM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I could get into cwm, no black-screen for me though. Still couldnt do radios. Used this and bam new radio....Thanks for the info.
The Following User Says Thank You to btdt13 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift btdt13 Ad-Free
1st March 2011, 11:04 AM |#18  
Flag Gallipolis

Donate to Me
More
Lol Cali, remind me to "thank" you tomorrow I've been trying all night, but I'm at the 24 hr limit for "thanks". I appreciate the post update, and this really is a great find. I can't stress that enough lol. In the right hands, an engineering HBOOT is great.
The Following User Says Thank You to ClearD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ClearD Ad-Free
1st March 2011, 11:11 AM |#19  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt13

I could get into cwm, no black-screen for me though. Still couldnt do radios. Used this and bam new radio....Thanks for the info.

You are very welcome!
1st March 2011, 11:12 AM |#20  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Lol Cali, remind me to "thank" you tomorrow I've been trying all night, but I'm at the 24 hr limit for "thanks". I appreciate the post update, and this really is a great find. I can't stress that enough lol. In the right hands, an engineering HBOOT is great.

No problemo, as the Terminator would say
2nd March 2011, 05:30 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
OK well, i did the ENG S-OFF and it didn't seem to change things, here's what i did do thou, i switched the CWM recovery from the 2.x.x.x to 3.0.0.6 and it seems to be working! i got into CWM, trying to install the AR2.1 ROM, appears to be working
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)