Send SMS Messages from tablet via Bluetooth via Android Phone

Search This thread

jpfulton248

Feb 12, 2011
Detroit
I've googled and googled and only kinda found something similar but it's only in source code (don't know how to compile) and doesn't appear finished...

Is there an app that will allow me to send SMS messages using my tablet, which sends over bluetooth to my phone, which then sends the SMS message out into SMS land?

Thanks!

Tester30

Dec 13, 2009
Gangtown
Why to bother??? Use email to send SMS.
For instance if I need to send SMS to my phone using ANY computer (including G-tab), the way to do it is (Example for T-mobile): 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX@tmomail.net.
Where XXX-XXX-XXXX is your phone number.
I think it has to work with any provider, although @ part will differ from carrier to carrier.
Hope it helps.

Reactions: tekrhino

jpfulton248

Feb 12, 2011
Detroit
I'm very familiar with that ability and you're right, that is one solution but not really one I'm looking for.

I'm really looking for an app for my tablet that is extremely similar to a standard sms app that will work off of my contacts list etc etc. Anyone else care to share their 2 cents?

jpramlak

Jun 24, 2010
(Assumes you're on a network and in USA)
Get a Google Voice Account and use the app to SMS.

jpfulton248

Feb 12, 2011
Detroit
Yep, another solution.

Anybody know of an app that does what I'm asking rather than just a workaround?

Example: ai.kittywolf.net/index.php/SMS_via_BlueTooth

jpfulton248

Feb 12, 2011
Detroit
Yeah man, there are a bunch of solutions. I like the google voice idea.

Okay, right, so as I've specified I'm looking specifically for an app that specifically does sms via bluetooth via phone... this is not google voice and it's not email to sms...

Anybody have anything to add regard my specific question rather than something to do with a workaround?

Just want to put this out there.

With Google Voice you can send SMS txt to your contacts for FREE!

No need for BT because you would use your wi-fi tether option on your android phone in the event you're not in an area where you can connect to the internet with out tethering to your phone.

:cool:

Last edited:

jpfulton248

Feb 12, 2011
Detroit
Still not what I'm asking for but I appreciate the suggestion for google voice. My problem with google voice basically centers around the phone number. I would have to port my existing cell number to gv and get a new cell phone number (also $20 for the port). I don't want to get a new phone number and I don't really want to commit to the extent that i'm porting my beloved phone number to google.

All I want is an app... extremely simple concept and my guess is that the programming isn't terribly difficult...

manikin13

Dec 1, 2010
Boston
The response you are looking for is
NO!

The reason is no bluetooth DUN support in the gtab kernels. You always get a paired but not connected via bluetooth.

If you really want to use your phone you need to tether the gtab to the phone (plenty of options - search is the key), and then use handcent or similar.

Reactions: tekrhino

jpfulton248

Feb 12, 2011
Detroit
NO!

The reason is no bluetooth DUN support in the gtab kernels. You always get a paired but not connected via bluetooth.

If you really want to use your phone you need to tether the gtab to the phone (plenty of options - search is the key), and then use handcent or similar.

Thanks for you help.

gbenj

Feb 4, 2008
Heres a thread I started in the Xoom section.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=977688

Basically my idea, which I outlined in there is as follows:

I've been thinking about this alot over the past couple of days even to the point that I began to investigate and play around with the Android SDK to see what I might be able to do, which is not alot at the moment.

I thought of this app functioning as follows:

1) We currently have a bunch of applications that allow the user to view and respond to their text messages through an interface on the browser or computer application using an app on the phone that "broadcasts" the messaging features of the phone out over either WiFi or bluetooth. (For example, the ones mentioned earlier in this thread.)

2) We also have something called "Remote Notifier" that sends out a "ping" when a new message is received to a listening service on a computer which notifies the user on the desktop.

3) If the existing functionality of those two are combined, we have an application that can put together a list of the messages on the phone (primary location), send it out to a secondary location (in this case a tablet), while also notifying the secondary location (tablet) of a new message received.
The app on the phone also gives the secondary location the ability to respond and edit the message list on the phone.

4) The second piece of the equation we would need is an app for the tablet, preferably optimized for the screen size in a 5manner similar to the way Gmail and the native email client handle messaging, (with a list of messages on the left, and the conversation view on the right) that allows the user to browse their messages on the phone and reply within the app.
If the app on the tablet could "look" to the phone as the service provider instead of the network, I could even see notifications being created from within that app and displayed on the tablet just as if it was actually receiving the texts itself.

I would appreciate any and all help or comments relating to the idea. I think i'll repost it in the main android apps section, since really its not specific to any one tablet.

irkan

Nov 26, 2009
to the op i totally understand what u want and am also interested.

pairing the tablet with android phone using bluetooth so when u received sms you get notified in your tablet an you be able to replay using your tablet wich will make the phone send this message without u having to remove ur phone from your pocket.

all the solutions mentioned are using wifi, which is a different thing.

i currently use a combination of apps to achieve wifi sms connectivity

remoteSMS + sms2Email buddy. (for notification) this works well in home wifi.

i would be very interested in a blutooth solution (it might be crippled cz it has to be close, but it doesnt need data connectivity chargs)

so +1 for the requesr, please let me know if u found a solution

irkan

Nov 26, 2009
its not dump at all, .. it has an advantage of not using any wifi / 3g data connecitivty, it would be like having a PadPhone (sms PadPhone)

and actually its not that hard as someone said.

the bluetooth does not have to have an sms api for the app to work, the tablet app could send a text file and the phone app receives the text file, parses it and send a message using the sms api (normal apps can use sms api) and vice versa for receiving an sms .. app gets a copy of the sms received, put it in a text file, sends it to the tablet app using bluetooth, tablet app parses the file and shows it.

i would start developing it but it would take me a long time as am sill noobish in android development, ... if someone could take the lead let me know i might be able to help a little.

Sent from my Transformer TF101

flast

Jan 18, 2009
to the op i totally understand what u want and am also interested.

pairing the tablet with android phone using bluetooth so when u received sms you get notified in your tablet an you be able to replay using your tablet wich will make the phone send this message without u having to remove ur phone from your pocket.

all the solutions mentioned are using wifi, which is a different thing.

i currently use a combination of apps to achieve wifi sms connectivity

remoteSMS + sms2Email buddy. (for notification) this works well in home wifi.

i would be very interested in a blutooth solution (it might be crippled cz it has to be close, but it doesnt need data connectivity chargs)

so +1 for the requesr, please let me know if u found a solution

Try "Sync SMS"
It still requires wifi, but can send and receive sms's from your tablet via your phone.
Any SMS you receive will go to both your phone and tablet. You can reply from either phone or tablet.
It requires a free Dropbox account.
The whole process of transferring sms's back and forth takes about 20_30 seconds and requires no action on your part.

However in the end I just got a separate Google voice number for my g-tablet and use that.

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB-v1.0.0b5.1.1 using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

flast

Jan 18, 2009
Still not what I'm asking for but I appreciate the suggestion for google voice. My problem with google voice basically centers around the phone number. I would have to port my existing cell number to gv and get a new cell phone number (also $20 for the port). I don't want to get a new phone number and I don't really want to commit to the extent that i'm porting my beloved phone number to google.

All I want is an app... extremely simple concept and my guess is that the programming isn't terribly difficult...

I understand what you are looking for and it would be nice to have, to be able to use your tablet wherever you are without worrying about wifi connection. But like you said so far there is nothing.
Also you don't have to port your existing number to GV, I use the same cell number I have used for years on my cell phone and got a separate number for my tablet there was no porting or charge involved.

irkan

Nov 26, 2009
Try "Sync SMS"
It still requires wifi, but can send and receive sms's from your tablet via your phone.
Any SMS you receive will go to both your phone and tablet. You can reply from either phone or tablet.
It requires a free Dropbox account.
The whole process of transferring sms's back and forth takes about 20_30 seconds and requires no action on your part.

However in the end I just got a separate Google voice number for my g-tablet and use that.

its wifi and its not for free, .. i cant buy it, stupid market restrictions, i asked the developer if he needs a beta tester to let me know.

i get the same function without using dropbox, just my local wifi .. and for free.

i found something, but its paid also, .. ble, ... its over bluetooth though, if anyone willing to try

for phone
http://www.appbrain.com/app/bluetooth-sms/com.exitbrain.bluetooth.texter

for tablet
http://www.appbrain.com/app/bluetooth-sms-device/com.exitbrain.bluetooth.texter.device

anyone willing to try it, please let us know

cheers

xplus93

May 25, 2010
the app for that is on the market now, its called "bluetooth sms" its 1.99 though but it has a nice honeycomb interface.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why to bother??? Use email to send SMS.
    For instance if I need to send SMS to my phone using ANY computer (including G-tab), the way to do it is (Example for T-mobile): 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX@tmomail.net.
    Where XXX-XXX-XXXX is your phone number.
    I think it has to work with any provider, although @ part will differ from carrier to carrier.
    Hope it helps.
    NO!

check out Groove Ip from market, it lets you make and receive phone call using your google voice. I think it supports BT, but haven't tried it..