Post Reply Email Thread
2nd March 2011, 09:54 PM |#31  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag South of Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 4,683

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavogusso

im buying the samsung captivate. i never had a android phone and im reading a lot of things about it, but i really dont know what to do first .. can someone tell me what you think i should do about roms, roothing step by step.? Dont need to explain how to do it just the sequence i should follow.
ex:should i update to 2.2 froyo, than roof the phone and than install another custom rom like Serendipty, cognition or other?????
ill appreciate your help.

What you should do first is slow down. Read as much as you can here (go through the stickies in Captivate General and in the development area) and understand what rooting is, first, before you decide to install a custom ROM. People who do their research have successful custom ROM experiences.

3rd March 2011, 12:18 AM |#32  
Flag Curitiba
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Im in my friends computer - GustavoGusso: As i told before.. i reading a lot.. i just looking for an older user that already know the best steps. so i dont waste time installing things that i dont need to install. if you tell me the steps i should follow, ill look for the programs and learn how to do it with all those topics..
3rd March 2011, 12:51 AM |#33  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag South of Boston, MA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dehzincwb

Im in my friends computer - GustavoGusso: As i told before.. i reading a lot.. i just looking for an older user that already know the best steps. so i dont waste time installing things that i dont need to install. if you tell me the steps i should follow, ill look for the programs and learn how to do it with all those topics..

Go read this thread about how to install a custom ROM, and then read through that forum to find whichever ROM interests you. I can tell you the best one as far as I'm concerned is Serendipity, but YMMV.
3rd March 2011, 01:56 PM |#34  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Ok.. im doing right if i: 1- update to Froyo, 2- Root the phone 3- install a custom Rom (like Serendipity or other).
Did i miss something? Do you recommend anything else?

Thanks for your help, its my first time with this Os and i appreciate some tips.
3rd March 2011, 02:01 PM |#35  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag South of Boston, MA

More
Quote:

Ok.. im doing right if i: 1- update to Froyo, 2- Root the phone 3- install a custom Rom (like Serendipity or other).
Did i miss something? Do you recommend anything else?

Thanks for your help, its my first time with this Os and i appreciate some tips.

Your steps are wrong. You would root, then install the custom ROM. Download whichever ROM you decide on, then just follow that tutorial step by step (you can skip the going back to stock step, because you are on stock). You will root in the steps, and then install your custom ROM. Once you've done that, if you have questions, you should post your questions in the appropriate Captivate Q&A thread, there's a sticky for each ROM.

By the way, there's a Thanks button, if I've helped you - just sayin'
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinbeau For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift reinbeau Ad-Free
3rd March 2011, 03:01 PM |#36  

More
Hahah.. sorry man.. first time with the android and first time in foruns...

1- update to Froyo, 2- Root the phone 3- install a custom Rom (like Serendipity or other).

You think i should jump to step 2??

so i got the captivate with the android 2.1. if i root the phone and install the custom rom, you think i dont need to upgrade to froyo??
3rd March 2011, 05:06 PM |#37  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag South of Boston, MA

More
Quote:

1- update to Froyo, 2- Root the phone 3- install a custom Rom (like Serendipity or other).

so i got the captivate with the android 2.1. if i root the phone and install the custom rom, you think i dont need to upgrade to froyo??

The good ROMs are Froyo already. Serendipity, Cognition 4, Paragon, Firefly, etc. are all Froyo.

And - I am not a man
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinbeau For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift reinbeau Ad-Free
3rd March 2011, 08:41 PM |#38  

More
this is one of my 10 posts because I really want to post in the developer forum... this really is a stupid requirement... I'm just sayin
3rd March 2011, 08:46 PM |#39  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinbeau

Your steps are wrong. You would root, then install the custom ROM. Download whichever ROM you decide on, then just follow that tutorial step by step (you can skip the going back to stock step, because you are on stock). You will root in the steps, and then install your custom ROM. Once you've done that, if you have questions, you should post your questions in the appropriate Captivate Q&A thread, there's a sticky for each ROM.

By the way, there's a Thanks button, if I've helped you - just sayin'

So, what exactly is the point in collecting "Thanks"es?
3rd March 2011, 08:48 PM |#40  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Very informative thanks so much
3rd March 2011, 08:51 PM |#41  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 2,940

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

you are trying to rush. i took 3 days (while off from work) to learn before i flashed. like posted above read the stickies in the general forum and dev forum. read , learn, know THEN flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.roddy

So, what exactly is the point in collecting "Thanks"es?

an attempt to give an indication of who is helpful/knowlegable
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)