Post Reply Email Thread
3rd March 2011, 06:53 AM |#81  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 81

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-niiice

my phone is hanging at the samsung logo after flashing this. I've tried clearing dalvik before the reboot per the instructions, and that just gives me fc's after I restore genocide. Am I missing something? After I bring back genocide all is fine. Do I need to go from stock?

We are seeing this happen on a small number of handsets. My working theories are that those units are not responding well to the undervolting or taking umbrage at the clock stepping. I hope to test these theories tonight and find a resolution that serves everyone best.

If anybody has one of these handsets that won't boot with the Twilight Zone kernel and wants to try some test kernels to help find a resolution to this problem, please PM me and I'll link you the test builds as soon as the series is ready.

3rd March 2011, 09:49 AM |#82  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 81

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivenapollo

not sure if anyone else is having this issue. I shut my phone down when it was plugged in because i was gonna flash something. After it shut down it started the samsung screen where it shows the battery level. It froze trying to fill in the battery with color. I had to pull batt. I thought maybe it was a 1 time thing and i plugged in the cable and it froze in the same spot. Flashed back to genocide and it works no problem, but now i have lost root. lol

This is from either cwm3 or the one click redirector, I don't remember which one at the moment.
3rd March 2011, 01:18 PM |#83  
Thanks Meter: 502

More
Just a quick FYI.

As is with other kernels out, redirector is broken.
3rd March 2011, 02:49 PM |#84  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
After flashing the kernal I noticed handcentsms icon had changed to a default android icon. When I "clicked" on it to launch the program, it said HandcentSmS was not installed on my phone. After a reboot it came back. Maybe just a fluke bug? I wiped dalvik cache 3 times for good measure after flashing the kernal through clockwork 2.5. Another potential bug occured while using google listen on a new podcast. A few minutes after shutting off the display, It would cut in and out, but only did this on a podcast that hadn't already been downloaded, but was streaming. When I turned on the screen and unlocked the phone it behaved normally. I want to try the rom, but I'm hesitant since checking for bad blocks using noobnl's method in connectbot reported I had 13 bad blocks. Thank You for all your hard work.
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
3rd March 2011, 03:40 PM |#85  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Great kernel but can't mount via USB onto a pc

Sent from XDA app with 2.2 powered Epic 4g
3rd March 2011, 04:08 PM |#86  
Flag Falling Waters, WV
Thanks Meter: 974

More
Its not the kernel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by churro7

Great kernel but can't mount via USB onto a pc

Sent from XDA app with 2.2 powered Epic 4g

Sent From My Evo Killer!!!
3rd March 2011, 04:31 PM |#87  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 834

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0nane

Here's our source: https://github.com/ACSyndicate

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0nane

And thanks so much for your work so far! Your patches have been very useful.

You're welcome.
3rd March 2011, 05:15 PM |#88  

More
Would you folks mind making two kernel configuration changes?

First, to enable /proc/config.gz support (CONFIG_IKCONFIG=y, CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC=y), and second, to compile TCPMSS support into the kernel (as opposed to a module, CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_TCPMSS=y). If you do, you can also remove the xt_TCPMSS.ko module from the initramfs and the insmod call for it in init.rc.

Attached is a patch against defconfig that does this. I've been running with TCPMSS support built-in (which it was in DI18) for a week and haven't had any issues. I'm not sure why Samsung even changed it.

I ask because, WiFi Tether v3.0-pre5+ includes support for MSS clamping, but the option to enable it only appears if it sees CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_TCPMSS=y in /proc/config.gz. If it does, then an "MSS clamping" option appears under "LAN" in the WiFi Tether Settings menu.

I've been encouraging MSS clamping support for a little while now as a precautionary measure. However, in the past week folks have been reporting trouble with WiMAX tethering in certain (typically recently-deployed) markets, where it appears that fragmented packets are dropped by the network.

The common symptom is that tethering works fine on 3G, but on WiMAX most pages don't work. Google sites typically do, but this is expected as Google sites are often not very data heavy and tend not to result in packet fragmentation. It's confirmed that there's an MTU mismatch, and in one case it's confirmed that MSS clamping resolves the issue. Hence the issue is a bit more pressing than it was previously.

As a bonus, this means that SyndicateROM Frozen can boast having better WiMAX tethering support than the official Hotspot client.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ikconfig_tcpmss.diff.txt - [Click for QR Code] (812 Bytes, 115 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mkasick For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mkasick Ad-Free
3rd March 2011, 05:19 PM |#89  
Flag Tucson,Arizona.
Thanks Meter: 1,205

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkasick

Would you folks mind making two kernel configuration changes?

First, to enable /proc/config.gz support (CONFIG_IKCONFIG=y, CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC=y), and second, to compile TCPMSS support into the kernel (as opposed to a module, CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_TCPMSS=y). If you do, you can also remove the xt_TCPMSS.ko module from the initramfs and the insmod call for it in init.rc.

Attached is a patch against defconfig that does this. I've been running with TCPMSS support built-in (which it was in DI18) and haven't had any issues. I'm not sure why Samsung even changed it.

I ask because, WiFi Tether v3.0-pre5+ includes support for MSS clamping, but the option to enable it only appears if it sees CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_TCPMSS=y in /proc/config.gz. If it does, then an "MSS clamping" option appears under "LAN" in the WiFi Tether Settings menu.

I've been encouraging MSS clamping support for a little while now as a precautionary measure. However, in the past week folkshavebeenreporting trouble with WiMAX tethering in certain (typically recently-deployed) markets, where it appears that fragmented packets are dropped by the network.

The common symptom is that tethering works fine on 3G, but on WiMAX most pages don't work. Google sites typically do, but this is expected as Google sites are often not very data heavy and tend not to result in packet fragmentation. It's confirmed that there's an MTU mismatch, and in one case it's confirmed that MSS clamping resolves the issue. Hence the issue is a bit more pressing than it was previously.

As a bonus, this means that SyndicateROM Frozen can boast having better WiMAX tethering support than the official Hotspot client.

Will this help the reboot issues that wifi tethering 3.0 versions has as well? That would be sweet..
3rd March 2011, 05:21 PM |#90  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrules7778

Will this help the reboot issues that wifi tethering 3.0 versions has as well? That would be sweet..

Unfortunately I don't think it will have any affect on that problem.
3rd March 2011, 05:23 PM |#91  
Flag Tucson,Arizona.
Thanks Meter: 1,205

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkasick

Unfortunately I don't think it will have any affect on that problem.

Damn!! Do u have any mad skills to figure out whats causing that issue, i mean you have been so helpful with all your fixes.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)