VOIP apps - any of them are working?

Search This thread

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Was anyone able to successfully use any VOIP app on this phone?
I tried several of them, i can her the other party fine but all they hear is some distortion.

I tested with Skype, Line2, Sipdroid, Fring.
Fring and Sipdroid are totally unusable.

It seems like Motorola screwed up the voice API's on the phone so no VOIP app works..

MrSlacker

Oct 7, 2007
This is a serious let down for me. I was looking forward to being able to use Skype on my phone after many years of crappy WinMo phones. This SUCKS

youngWMuser

Apr 19, 2010
does anybody know how to bypass the message in skype that states somethin about MAKING CALLS ONLY OVER WIFI, anybody know how to do that?

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
I literally tried every single free (and two paid) voip apps on the market yesterday. Nothing works on this phone like it should. Either the mic is all messed up or the audio is choppy, Motorola really messed something up here.

Marand55

May 4, 2007
Same here. I've tried several of them and none works right. The same apps work perfectly on my Galaxy Tab so my assumption is that this is a Motorola mess-up.:mad:

Ririal

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 21, 2011
Grayslake
www.rirnef.net
Did you guys ever stop to think that it's the applications that don't support the phone, not the phone itself? Blaming Motorola for a third party app not working is the most ludicrous thing I've heard all day.

Reactions: gatorp003@aol.com

dicksteele

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 4, 2010
California
Did you guys ever stop to think that it's the applications that don't support the phone, not the phone itself? Blaming Motorola for a third party app not working is the most ludicrous thing I've heard all day.

Interesting. But if Motorola had confidence their phone worked, would they not have included an app on it?

Ririal

Feb 21, 2011
Grayslake
www.rirnef.net
Interesting. But if Motorola had confidence their phone worked, would they not have included an app on it?

...no? That doesn't even make any sense. There isn't some magical "voip support" that a phone manufacturer codes into their device. Be patient and wait for developers to update their apps to support new hardware that's barely been out 2 weeks.

ksekhar

Aug 14, 2008
Stockholm
...no? That doesn't even make any sense. There isn't some magical "voip support" that a phone manufacturer codes into their device. Be patient and wait for developers to update their apps to support new hardware that's barely been out 2 weeks.

I have used many voip apps now (free and paid) and can confirm that there is some problem with this phone when it comes to VoIP apps. I've used same apps on nexus one and they work absolutely fine. Now i m back in Sweden and no way to return this phone in ATT store :(

Yes, I'm not blaming motorola, however, when this phone has a dual core processor then why is it still unable to do voip?

It was the similar problem with nexus one and nexus s that I had. I guess it's android then. They barely made the support for voip without tweaking it's performance. I never faced this problem with ios. I hate apple products because they are not open source but I can't stop my self from appreciating the good things in their os.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App

ksekhar

Aug 14, 2008
Stockholm
Yes, I'm not blaming motorola, however, when this phone has a dual core processor then why is it still unable to do voip?

It was the similar problem with nexus one and nexus s that I had. I guess it's android then. They barely made the support for voip without tweaking it's performance. I never faced this problem with ios. I hate apple products because they are not open source but I can't stop my self from appreciating the good things in their os.

In the XDA Atrix subforum some where I found links to skype and that version of Skype works okay with Atrix (i dont say it works as good as it does on iPhone but bearable). Here is the link in case you didnt find it. I wish Nimbuzz works too.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=973064&page=2

Ririal

Feb 21, 2011
Grayslake
www.rirnef.net

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App

Again, it's pretty obvious you just don't understand how this works. It's application specific support for the PHONE. There is nothing on the phone, Android or otherwise, that makes voip possible or not possible. It's all in the app itself. The new hardware hasn't been out for very long, so give the APPLICATION DEVELOPERS time to update their software to support the device. It's the same reason some games don't work on the Atrix yet. It's not because Motorola decided not to support the game, it's because the game doesn't yet support the device.

Please stop spreading misinformation.

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Again, it's pretty obvious you just don't understand how this works. It's application specific support for the PHONE. There is nothing on the phone, Android or otherwise, that makes voip possible or not possible. It's all in the app itself. The new hardware hasn't been out for very long, so give the APPLICATION DEVELOPERS time to update their software to support the device. It's the same reason some games don't work on the Atrix yet. It's not because Motorola decided not to support the game, it's because the game doesn't yet support the device.

Please stop spreading misinformation.

No sir. Its pretty obvious YOU don't know how this works.
If every VOIP app on the market does not work ONLY on the the atrix, but works well on every other phone i tested, and even honeycomb - then there is a problem specific to the atrix and NOT the app itself.

If it is just one single app that does not work - then it is an app issue.
In our case, ALL the voip apps are not working because Motorola changed something in the way they are routing the audio and using the Android standard audio API's that those app need to work correctly. Any app that is trying to access the mic or the earpiece fails on this phone either with stuttering audio, crashes or static noise. it is like that with every single voip app and i tested them all.

The atrix is not running some new version of android that these apps just don't know how to support or there is a new android API...no...this is 2.2 we are talking about here and i don't see how each and every developer can fix his app just for the atrix.

The only way i see this getting resolved is by a firmware update from Motorola to fix what they have changed and get the phone to work with normal android standards.

Ririal

Feb 21, 2011
Grayslake
www.rirnef.net
No sir. Its pretty obvious YOU don't know how this works.
If every VOIP app on the market does not work ONLY on the the atrix, but works well on every other phone i tested, and even honeycomb - then there is a problem specific to the atrix and NOT the app itself.

If it is just one single app that does not work - then it is an app issue.
In our case, ALL the voip apps are not working because Motorola changed something in the way they are routing the audio and using the Android standard audio API's that those app need to work correctly. Any app that is trying to access the mic or the earpiece fails on this phone either with stuttering audio, crashes or static noise. it is like that with every single voip app and i tested them all.

The atrix is not running some new version of android that these apps just don't know how to support or there is a new android API...no...this is 2.2 we are talking about here and i don't see how each and every developer can fix his app just for the atrix.

The only way i see this getting resolved is by a firmware update from Motorola to fix what they have changed and get the phone to work with normal android standards.

You're halfway there, now put it all together.

The Atrix has a Tegra 2 chipset that does things differently than every other phone out there, correct. I bet you anything when a newer chipset comes out, we'll see the same cycle again. The reason it works on every other phone is because they're using established hardware. The Atrix is new, so it's up to Skype and Fring and whatever other VOIP apps out there to update their software to support the new hardware. Motorola patching in a hack to let it work with outdated architecture is the most stupid thing I've heard all day. The Atrix is unique right now, A LOT of developers will need to update their apps to support it.

BE PATIENT. Let developers update their apps to support the new hardware that's barely been out 2 weeks. Motorola doesn't need to do anything. App developers do.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You're halfway there, now put it all together.

The Atrix has a Tegra 2 chipset that does things differently than every other phone out there, correct. I bet you anything when a newer chipset comes out, we'll see the same cycle again. The reason it works on every other phone is because they're using established hardware. The Atrix is new, so it's up to Skype and Fring and whatever other VOIP apps out there to update their software to support the new hardware. Motorola patching in a hack to let it work with outdated architecture is the most stupid thing I've heard all day. The Atrix is unique right now, A LOT of developers will need to update their apps to support it.

BE PATIENT. Let developers update their apps to support the new hardware that's barely been out 2 weeks. Motorola doesn't need to do anything. App developers do.

No these apps work fine on my Motorola xoom sporting Tegra2 and Honeycomb and Skype + fring also worked perfectly on the my dell streak 7 (when i still had it) and that is also powered by Tegra2.
    The chipset has nothing to do with it in this case. Motorola changed something in the standard API's those app use to connect to the hardware.
    The issue is with the moto drivers for audio. This has been fixed by the atrix devs here:
    [HOWTO] Fix Skype (and other audio) on Atrixhttp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1047748

Sent from my Honeyglow Atrix
    *sigh* nevermind. Enjoy your ignorance.

Since changing a library fixes it, I guess it was an API issue after all. I'm primarly ecstatic over a working Skype, but putting smug posts like this in their place is really a cherry on top.