[GUIDE] How to configure VoIP/SIP client in WM6.

Search This thread

eluth

Mar 22, 2006
San Francisco
Here is an example of VoIP provisioning for WM6.
Claims that it does not work have been greatly exaggerated.
Actually, it works quite well for me (test done a Wizard based on a modified Orwell ROM).

Check if the VoIP is support is present in your ROM, as some cooks have removed them from the ROM.
so look for the Internet Calling today item as well as for the following files from the packages VoIP and VoIPOS in the \Windows directory:

• [*]ipdialplan.xml
    [*]dnsapi.dll
    [*]voipphonecanvas.dll
    [*]rtcdll.dll

If you don't have Internet Calling support in your ROM, complain to your favorite cook, not me.
Internet Calling is an integral part of WM6 and should not be removed.
For the HTC Wizard, the Orwell1984, the PDAViet ROMs, MB ROM and mUn_aRTM_10_2_0_8_WWE have the necessary modules.
For other devices, try it for yourself, as I don't know the specifics of the ROMs..

Ok. Let' go to the setup on how to do it.
Simple: 1-2-3 steps.
  1. you will have to create a _setup.xml file with your provisioning information, any text editor will do, use the attached sample as a baseline.
  2. run the following command: cabarc N myVoIPsettings.cab _setup.xml
  3. get your newly created .cab file on the WM6 PPC and run it.

Note: if you don't have cabarc, you can get it from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198038

Voilà! You might have to turn on your Wifi (it does not work over GPRS/EDGE)
and select "Whenever Available" as an option in Phone/Menu/Options/Internet or Settings/Phone/Internet.
Soon, you will be connected to your preferred VoIP provider...

As sample of the _setup.xml file is attached as _setup.xml.txt.
You can also see its content in the following section.
Code:
<wap-provisioningdoc>
<characteristic type="VoIP">
<parm name="SIPSettings" 
   value="<provision key='1232ab01' name='_sip_provider_name_'>
             <provider name='_sip_provider_name_' /> 
             <user account='_account_' password='_password_'
                 uri='sip:_user@sip_host.com_'
                 allowedauth='digest'/> 
             <sipsrv addr='_sip_proxy.com_' protocol='UDP' role='proxy'>
                <session party='First' type='pc2pc' /> 
                <session party='First' type='pc2ph' /> 
             </sipsrv> 
             <sipsrv addr='_sip_registrar.com_' protocol='UDP' role='registrar'/> 
          </provision>" />
</characteristic>
</wap-provisioningdoc>

So get the attached _setup.xml.txt and do the following modifications:
  • rename _setup.xml.txt to _setup.txt (not obvious to every one according to the comments in this thread),
  • replace _sip_provider_name_ by your provider name,
  • _account_ and _password_ by your user name and password,
  • sip:_user@sip_host.com_ should be your SIP address,
  • _sip_proxy.com_ and _sip_registrar.com_ are your SIP proxy and registrar,
    sometimes it's the same thing as your sip_host.com.
    Sometimes not. It depends on your provider.
  • save the file as _setup.xml and run the cabarc N voip.cab _setup.xml
  • transfer the cab on the PPC and run it!

How to check your installation?
-
If the provisioning worked you should find a Prov0SIPSettings under the directory \Windows\System\VoIP.
Creation date and time should match the instant when you ran your .cab file.
If you don't find one, that means that you have a syntax error in your _setup.xml file.
To demonstrate the process, you can use my attached file without any modification.
It will create Prov0SIPSettings file, but nothing will work with the dummy settings of my sample file, of course :).

To activate Internet Calling over 3G (thanks Sleuth255 & Golfman),
  • go to the HKLM\Comm\RTC\AdapterTypes with a registry editor (like Total Commander),
  • now delete both the "1" and the "2" values that are here,
  • next reset your device and Internet calling will connect over the data connection for your phoneservice.

If you need to re-apply different settings (if you changed your .xml file and .cab),
you will have to delete first the Prov0SIPSettings file under \Windows\System\VoIP
prior re-applying your new .CAB file. Otherwise, your new settings will be ignored.

Let me know how you do on this.
Enjoy!

--eluth, the comparison Guy.

Attachments

• _setup.xml.txt
    774 bytes · Views: 17,464
Last edited by a moderator:

eluth

Mar 22, 2006
San Francisco
One additional information, if you start dialing.

You probably will have to customize the ipdialplan.xml based on your region & VoIP provider requirements, in order to have the proper phone numbers dials.

The default one assumes a US SIP proxy in 425...

Cheers.
--eluth.

aniel1

Nov 18, 2006
incase those files you have listed doesnot exist, what is the way of getting them. Can you arrange a cab or something?

raix

Feb 24, 2007
I'm missing the files too and which program do i need to run the "cabarc" command?

eluth

Mar 22, 2006
San Francisco
I amended the post to point to where to download cabarc.
The link is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198038
You can also just google for cabarc and you will find it.

As far as the ROM itself is concerned, if you don't have "Internet Calling" on your today screen and cannot enable it, I'm sorry. Please complain to your cook or use another ROM that has it. See my amended initial post for details.

Regards,
--eluth.

edeplano

Jul 23, 2006
Wow I have been waiting for ages for this! We use an Asterisk SIP at work and would love to do away with my other softphones... A few (maybe) silly questions:

1) edited replied above

2) ipdialplan, can you include an example?

3)When you say "if you start dialing" do you mean just dialing with the standard Phone application?

Last edited:

ADB100

Nov 3, 2006
Nearly there.......

I followed eluth's instructions and I'm nearly there..... I need a SIP server now :rolleyes:

I installed the cab I created with some dummy settings and I can see the Wizard attempt to register with the SIP server address I have added to the _setup.xml file. The 'Internet Calling' today plugin now says 'Searching...' whilst it attempts to register with the SIP server, after it times out it now says 'No Service'.

Excellent. I will take a look at what files and registry settings are created so I can include this in my own ROM :)

Andy

edeplano

Jul 23, 2006
Eluth you rock!

Have it working on mu Universal with Helmi rom + VOIP cab file. If I am on WiFi with Voip set to whenever available, my phone provider is no longer Orange but my SIP server! I think there might be some pissed off telcos soon!

It seems the calls are "forced" through speakerphone but works fine with a bt headset.

Connected and making calls through our Asterisk SIP (although only through my shortcut numbers, I expect I need to work on the dialplan file).

Anyone out there capable of making a document on how the dialplan file should be generated?

Once again eluth, well done! This is the main reason I moved to WM6 and now I have what I wanted!

mijxyphoid

Mar 28, 2007
Sydney
www.fordmods.com
This is EXCELLENT news !!!!! Good work !

Could the leadspeaker only problem be caused by the Radio Rom not supporting SIP?
(Sorry for the Newbeeee question) ?
I was just wondering whether WM6 devices will support SIP just like a normal GSM call in terms of using the handset speaker ?
(Im dying to try this out, unfortunately my Universal has a very bad case of alignment issues, and I cant get pas the screen alignment screen... Sigh.....)

Anyway thats excellent news !
Please keep the information coming for us poor plebs with non working bricks :rolleyes:

Last edited:

lucasbuck

Mar 20, 2006
Barcelona
I followed your guide, and made the cab file (i had to do that a few times to get the correct sip sittings)

I have an asterisk network, and this connects perfectly over wifi, calls are clear and FAST! (i am not sure which codec the MS sip stuff uses though)

i am using the 3DES rom.

I was suprised that the sip dialing is using the normal EAR speaker, not the one on the back of the phone! so thats very cool!

When dialing numbers i am having to type in 00countrycode (eg. 0044) instead of using the numbers from my address book +countrycode (eg. +44), it just wont dial with +countrycode, i think this is due to the regional settings maybe.

thanks for the guide, very cool stuff!

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
nicely done eluth! You beat me to this one ;) I was missing the cabarc piece of this for doing the WM provisioning.... (put off till MEDC actually).

Last edited:

eluth

Mar 22, 2006
San Francisco
How do I creat the .cab with wincecabmanager and in what directory to install??

Hello papmopps,

... Actually you don't. WinCeCabManager is for creating CABs with files inside (software install).

What we are doing here is to create a cab for XML provisioning.
You do that with cabarc or makecab (Microsoft free tools), not WinCeManager.
Look for XML Provisioning with Cab files in msdn for more info.

Regards,
--eluth.

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
Ok, vonage soft phone is working perfectly. Calls to my softphone use regular headset speaker and transfer to BT if my headset is active. In fact, when active I can make calls to my softphone and my regular cellphone number. :cool:

WM6VoIP.cab is mine btw and will enable VoIP fully on WM6. Here are the Vonage settings:

_put_account_here_ = your 11 digit softphone number
_put_password_here_ = the password assigned to it (combination of 10 random numbers/letters)

Here's the provisioning:
Code:
<wap-provisioningdoc>
<characteristic type="VoIP">
<parm name="SIPSettings" 
   value="<provision key='1232ab01' name='Vonage'>
             <provider name='Vonage' /> 
             <user account='_put_account_here_' password='_put_password_here_'
                 uri='sip:_put_account_here_@sphone.vopr.vonage.net'
                 allowedauth='digest'/> 
             <sipsrv addr='sphone.vopr.vonage.net:5061' protocol='UDP' role='proxy'>
                <session party='First' type='pc2pc' /> 
                <session party='First' type='pc2ph' /> 
             </sipsrv> 
             <sipsrv addr='sphone.vopr.vonage.net:5061' protocol='UDP' role='registrar'/> 
          </provision>" />
</characteristic>
</wap-provisioningdoc>

note: if no joy, try making the following registry setting change:

HKLM\System\VoIP\SIP
EnablePort5060 = 1

edit: note, I didn't have to make this registry change to enable my softphone account.

Last edited:

raix

Feb 24, 2007
Raix,

Which device/ROM are you using?

--eluth.

Sorry i forgot to mention that.
I'm using a Hermes with Kyphurs XDA Live 0.2 Rom.
After the Installation of the WM6VoIP.cab the needed Files in the windows dir are still missing.
Nevertheless i created a cab with my settings and installed it but that didn't work, because there are no entries in the Windows\Voip Dir.
But i'm sure this whole thing will be fixed ;)

EDIT:
Damnit i forgot to check "Show all Files". All neede Files are there! Even a settings file after installing my cab. But the SIP Client can't connect to sipgate right now (still says "not available"). I'm going to check and test my settings now!

EDIT2:
I just forgot the Port after the SIP Server.
with sipgate.de:5060 everything works fine!
Great work!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As promised, here's a cab that installs my GSM610 codec. Once you get it working you'll be able to see how close I am to success. The inbound audio almost works; you can make out voices and almost understand what's being said. Outbound audio isn't as good however.

Note: obviously, you will need to have Internet calling installed and tested before adding this codec. If you want to change the default codec back to G.711 change the dword value "PreferredAudioCodec" in HKLM\Comm\RTC\codec from a 3 to a 0.
    WM6 VoIP Full !

WM6 VoIP Full

ALL-IN_ONE*

here you have the latest WM6 VoIP - full:
    http://sharebee.com/8322ca70

Package description:
    + latest VoIP drivers !
    + SipConfigTool_2_0_1
    + DialPlanCreator
    + Dridders gsm610 codec

Remove the old VoIP before install !

*If you want to enable the earpiece sound: