[A] Bootloop after flashing a ROM via 3.0.0.5 Recovery image.

Search This thread

neidlinger

Aug 30, 2010
Cincinnati
What you did .. .. ..

Okay so you've rooted your newly bought MyTouch4G, and you've made sure that s=off and you've flashed Clockwork ROM manager's recovery image that you got from the market. That is all the correct order. But when you flashed a ROM you got stuck in a bootloop.

Am i screwed???

Don't worry you are just in a "soft brick mode", or "limp mode" if you will.

What happened? Why is it doing this?
The Image that you downloaded and installed 3.0.0.5 is for 2.3 (Gingerbread) based ROMs only. [n3rd note] these are ext4 style ROMS. They act and store information differently than 2.2 which are Ext3 ROMs[/n3rd note].

This could also be caused by trying to flash a 2.3 using a older 2.x.x.x version of the Recovery Image. Those will only support the Ext3 style ROMs, which are FroYo (2.2) based ROM.

Okay what do i need to do to fix it, there are two methods.

This is Method one it's the older version.

You must use this method if you do not have the engineering screen

If you are using the 3.0.0.5 Recovery image
To fix your problem you need to flash any 2.3 based ROM, for time sake i will recommend Cyanogen(mod). Link to Cyanogen(mod)'s CM7RC4. While you are there you need to also store the G/Apps.

If you are using the 2.x.x.x Recovery Image
To fix your problem you need to flash any 2.2 based ROM, for time sake i will recommend RoyalGlacier Thread can be found here

- Question: How do i find out what Recovery image i am using
- Answer: Boot the phone into the recovery mode. We'll touch on that in a little bit

Now when you download both of those files you also need to store them to SDCard.
NOTE: If you are using 2.x.x.x and going to flash RoyalGlacier you will not need the g/apps. They have included this in their ROM, and MAKE sure to follow their specific directions for installing the ROM.

- Question: Now how in the world i am going to do that since my phone is in bootloop.

Answer:
Two ways one can do that
1) use a SDcard reader and just plug the card into a main USB port.
2) Mount the SDCard in the phone via the Recovery Image. *** i'd recommend this method since you are going to need to be in recovery anyway ***

Pull the battery from the phone an put it back in, then put the back on the phone. turn the phone on holding the power button along with the volume down rocker button. That will boot the phone into the HBoot (Engineering) Screen. From there you will see an option that says "recovery" [this is what i mentioned earlier, about the different versions] use the volume rocker to select it, then tap the power button to select it. The phone will reboot into what is called the recovery image. From there you will select "mount" then USB. That will mount the SDCard to the Computer.

Once you have move Cyanogen(mod) and the g/apps to the SD card unmount the SDCard.

Then navigate to "wipe data/factory reset" you will want to wipe the phone. That will format everything to a fashion that can be written over w/o problems.

Then navigate to "install .zip from sdcard" > " choose .zip " > then flash the main Cyanogen(mod) ROM. Then do the same but flash the g/apps that you downloaded.

Once those are done you can re-boot the phone. That will boot you into cyanogen.

If you are using the 2.x.x.x Recovery image
Please use the link i supplied above to get that ROM up and running once it is done, according to their instructions come back here.

Now i understand that may or may not want Cyanogen nor RoyalGlacier on your phone. Well take care of that

What can i do to prevent this from Happening again?

Once you are up and running (make sure to log into your Google Account) go to the market and download Clockwork ROM manager again, and re-flash the recovery image.

Once you are done with that i HIGHLY suggest upgrading to the newest 3.0.0.6 Recovery image. You can do that one of two ways.

one way is to flash True_Blues method for installing 3.0.0.6 recovery image. Use this thread..

This is the way that i would personally recommend.
The second way is download the 3.0.0.6 recovery image, which i've attached and flash it via the ADB commands. If you want to do it this way you do not need to download Clockwork Rom Manager, you can "just flash it". If you need help with that, if you are using Windows or Mac, see my signature for True_Blue's method on EZ ADB. If you are using Unbutu 10.10 use this This Method to get ADB running. This is the method i used to ADB running on my Linux NetBook.
Download the file that i've attached and store just the recovery image from the .zip to the SDCard, from the ADB commands type
adb shell
su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
More information on this process can be found here

That will flash the newest recovery image to your phone

Once you have installed the 3.0.0.6 ROM Manager you can wipe and flash ANY MyTouch4G ROM that you want. It will handle both 2.2 (ext3) and 2.3 (ext4) ROM formats.

This is the New Method - Which is a little easier.

AND YOU MUST HAVE THE ENGINEERING HBOOT
Thanks to TeeJay for inspiring this.

I am going to assume that since you have the Engineering Screen you are more familiar with what you are doing so i'll be more to the point with this walk-through.

you will need to have ADB up and running for this method.

1) Download the attached file and store just the .img to your folder from which you preform all of your ADB commands

2) plug the phone into the computer

3) boot the phone into HBoot

4) from the ADB commands change the drive to the folder where you stored the recovery image.

5) type these commands
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

the screen should say something to the degree of
Code:
sending 'recovery' (3426 KB)... OKAY [  1.172s]
            writing 'recovery'... OKAY [  0.797s]
finished. total time: 1.969s

6) then select "bootloader"
7) navigate to "reboot recovery"
8) flash your ROM of choice.
9) enjoy your ROM of choice.

Please feel free to use this in your signature or link people back to. If you feel i made an error in this post please PM and i'll edit it accordingly.

If this thread has helped you solve your problem please hit the "thanks" button.

THE RECOVERY IMAGE HAS BEEN UPDATED TO THE NEWEST ONE.

Attachments

• recovery.img.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 146
Last edited:

leo221

Nov 22, 2010
good summary. originally when i flashed cm7 I had to search a bit to come up with what you said above. one addition, CWM lets you mount sd storage to usb so you can copy files to sdcard (say the recovery image). then update CWM 3.0.0.6 with ADB.

Reactions: neidlinger

aalsmadi1

Jan 15, 2010
orange county
dang man you're the Q&A champ, every time i'm on this you're answering questions.

well this worked like a charm, idk why people on xda always make things more complicated than it has to be.

neidlinger

Aug 30, 2010
Cincinnati
May want to mention that the opposite could be true as well > same boot loop but from flashing 2.3 rom with recovery 2.5.1.2

Added.
dang man you're the Q&A champ, every time i'm on this you're answering questions.

well this worked like a charm, idk why people on xda always make things more complicated than it has to be.

Well i work in the Imported Automotive parts. My job requires me to basically sit around and answer the phone when it rings. We have our own "call center" room. I just pick up the phone and answer question and sell parts. Like right now i'm working on a engine rebuild kit for a 1975 2Ton Mercedes Bens..... so i get some free time from time to time, and XDA is one of a few sites they allow me to visit.... BGR/ Android and Me, Android Central are the others....

I can see why some people blow up, spend +$200.00 on a phone then turn around and blow through something w/o taking the time to read something and then you get stuck in a bootloop.... i can see why people go bonkers. But slowing down and reading would solve alot of problems. Heck i've got 3 great threads in my signature that would solve alot question that one could have with a new device.

Last edited:

DHSdrone

Aug 7, 2009
Smalltown, Missouri
Same issue, except i flashed 3.0.0.6 beforehand to prevent any problems. Iced Glacier flashed okay, I just didn't care for it much. Ive wiped all the necessary parts prior to flashing as I would before flashing any roms. Ive managed to retrieve and restore a previous back (I can haz backups) so Im not stuck. I would like to be in the cool kids cyanogen club. Any ideas?

neidlinger

Aug 30, 2010
Cincinnati
Same issue, except i flashed 3.0.0.6 beforehand to prevent any problems. Iced Glacier flashed okay, I just didn't care for it much. Ive wiped all the necessary parts prior to flashing as I would before flashing any roms. Ive managed to retrieve and restore a previous back (I can haz backups) so Im not stuck. I would like to be in the cool kids cyanogen club. Any ideas?

Meaning you want to run Cyanogen(mod)? Well jump over to their site and download the ROM of your picking; Nightlies are alpha builds, and the RC's are beta builds. I've ran both and both are extremely stable. I have links supplied in the first post. and directions for that matter. just make sure to do a nandroid backup before wiping and flashing.

Chillywill

Mar 31, 2011
Posting so I can see the "thanks" button. Doubley thanks you saved my bacon....err phone!! Hmmmm bacon!:D

b0rnsusp3ct

Mar 30, 2011
Ok I am having one Problem PLEASE HELP!!!

When I click "wipe data/factory reset" it just shows the clockwork icon (hat and arrow) and nothing happens.

In fact, this happens with all of the options in the clockwork recovery.

I am running clockwork 3.0.0.5. I had CM7 and I did something stupid, tried flashing another ROM via rom manager....I did back up everything though.

Please tell me I am not bricked!!!

klquicksall

Dec 5, 2010
Texas

When I click "wipe data/factory reset" it just shows the clockwork icon (hat and arrow) and nothing happens.

I am running clockwork 3.0.0.5. I had CM7 and I did something stupid, tried flashing another ROM via rom manager....I did back up everything though.

Pull the battery. Hold vol down power on them restore cm7. Then flash cwm 3.0.0.6.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA Premium App

neidlinger

Aug 30, 2010
Cincinnati

What button are you pressing to select the option? you should just use the trackpad.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What you did .. .. ..

Okay so you've rooted your newly bought MyTouch4G, and you've made sure that s=off and you've flashed Clockwork ROM manager's recovery image that you got from the market. That is all the correct order. But when you flashed a ROM you got stuck in a bootloop.

Am i screwed???

Don't worry you are just in a "soft brick mode", or "limp mode" if you will.

What happened? Why is it doing this?
    The Image that you downloaded and installed 3.0.0.5 is for 2.3 (Gingerbread) based ROMs only. [n3rd note] these are ext4 style ROMS. They act and store information differently than 2.2 which are Ext3 ROMs[/n3rd note].

This could also be caused by trying to flash a 2.3 using a older 2.x.x.x version of the Recovery Image. Those will only support the Ext3 style ROMs, which are FroYo (2.2) based ROM.

Okay what do i need to do to fix it, there are two methods.

This is Method one it's the older version.

You must use this method if you do not have the engineering screen

To fix your problem you need to flash any 2.3 based ROM, for time sake i will recommend Cyanogen(mod). Link to Cyanogen(mod)'s CM7RC4. While you are there you need to also store the G/Apps.

If you are using the 2.x.x.x Recovery Image
    To fix your problem you need to flash any 2.2 based ROM, for time sake i will recommend RoyalGlacier Thread can be found here

- Question: How do i find out what Recovery image i am using
    - Answer: Boot the phone into the recovery mode. We'll touch on that in a little bit

Now when you download both of those files you also need to store them to SDCard.
    NOTE: If you are using 2.x.x.x and going to flash RoyalGlacier you will not need the g/apps. They have included this in their ROM, and MAKE sure to follow their specific directions for installing the ROM.

- Question: Now how in the world i am going to do that since my phone is in bootloop.

Answer:
    Two ways one can do that
    1) use a SDcard reader and just plug the card into a main USB port.
    2) Mount the SDCard in the phone via the Recovery Image. *** i'd recommend this method since you are going to need to be in recovery anyway ***

Pull the battery from the phone an put it back in, then put the back on the phone. turn the phone on holding the power button along with the volume down rocker button. That will boot the phone into the HBoot (Engineering) Screen. From there you will see an option that says "recovery" [this is what i mentioned earlier, about the different versions] use the volume rocker to select it, then tap the power button to select it. The phone will reboot into what is called the recovery image. From there you will select "mount" then USB. That will mount the SDCard to the Computer.

Once you have move Cyanogen(mod) and the g/apps to the SD card unmount the SDCard.

Then navigate to "wipe data/factory reset" you will want to wipe the phone. That will format everything to a fashion that can be written over w/o problems.

Then navigate to "install .zip from sdcard" > " choose .zip " > then flash the main Cyanogen(mod) ROM. Then do the same but flash the g/apps that you downloaded.

Once those are done you can re-boot the phone. That will boot you into cyanogen.

If you are using the 2.x.x.x Recovery image
    Please use the link i supplied above to get that ROM up and running once it is done, according to their instructions come back here.

Now i understand that may or may not want Cyanogen nor RoyalGlacier on your phone. Well take care of that

What can i do to prevent this from Happening again?

Once you are up and running (make sure to log into your Google Account) go to the market and download Clockwork ROM manager again, and re-flash the recovery image.

Once you are done with that i HIGHLY suggest upgrading to the newest 3.0.0.6 Recovery image. You can do that one of two ways.

one way is to flash True_Blues method for installing 3.0.0.6 recovery image. Use this thread..

This is the way that i would personally recommend.
    The second way is download the 3.0.0.6 recovery image, which i've attached and flash it via the ADB commands. If you want to do it this way you do not need to download Clockwork Rom Manager, you can "just flash it". If you need help with that, if you are using Windows or Mac, see my signature for True_Blue's method on EZ ADB. If you are using Unbutu 10.10 use this This Method to get ADB running. This is the method i used to ADB running on my Linux NetBook.
    Download the file that i've attached and store just the recovery image from the .zip to the SDCard, from the ADB commands type
    adb shell
    su
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
    More information on this process can be found here

That will flash the newest recovery image to your phone

Once you have installed the 3.0.0.6 ROM Manager you can wipe and flash ANY MyTouch4G ROM that you want. It will handle both 2.2 (ext3) and 2.3 (ext4) ROM formats.

This is the New Method - Which is a little easier.

AND YOU MUST HAVE THE ENGINEERING HBOOT
    Thanks to TeeJay for inspiring this.

I am going to assume that since you have the Engineering Screen you are more familiar with what you are doing so i'll be more to the point with this walk-through.

you will need to have ADB up and running for this method.

1) Download the attached file and store just the .img to your folder from which you preform all of your ADB commands

2) plug the phone into the computer

3) boot the phone into HBoot

4) from the ADB commands change the drive to the folder where you stored the recovery image.

5) type these commands
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

the screen should say something to the degree of
    Code:
    sending 'recovery' (3426 KB)... OKAY [  1.172s]
                writing 'recovery'... OKAY [  0.797s]
    finished. total time: 1.969s

6) then select "bootloader"
    7) navigate to "reboot recovery"
    8) flash your ROM of choice.
    9) enjoy your ROM of choice.

Please feel free to use this in your signature or link people back to. If you feel i made an error in this post please PM and i'll edit it accordingly.

If this thread has helped you solve your problem please hit the "thanks" button.

THE RECOVERY IMAGE HAS BEEN UPDATED TO THE NEWEST ONE.
    good summary. originally when i flashed cm7 I had to search a bit to come up with what you said above. one addition, CWM lets you mount sd storage to usb so you can copy files to sdcard (say the recovery image). then update CWM 3.0.0.6 with ADB.
    meaning?

[sent via Cyanogen powered Android]