*Sigh*, I'm starting to regret buying WP7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jasongw

This shouldn't be a shocker really. Apple loves to do this. This way the iPad 3 will have 1 or 2GB RAM, and higher resolution cameras. And thats most likely it. MAYBE a higher res screen, but it sure won't be a retina display (would be too expensive). Then the iPad 4 will have a magical card reader slot build 'right in!' Honestly the cameras should have been on version 1, and this one should have had AT LEAST 1 gig of ram, preferably 2 since they are now trying to push iMovie & Garageband lol. Really? Movie editing with 1/2 gig of ram?

Apple loves small incremental changes after they have a huge fanbase secured. They know their fans will pretty much buy anything they release, so its not necessary to give much of an upgrade with each release, so long as there is SOMETHING different. And yes it is a sexy piece of hardware, just not my preference on OS. I REALLY hope MS hits it out of the park next year since they are taking their sweet time.

Preaching to the choir, my friend :). iOS is, in my view, antiquated garbage.

That said, the app catalog is, nevertheless, very appealing.

Bleak Morn

Jul 24, 2009
Columbus, OH
That's where most of the Apple "hatred" comes from.

The Apple hatred comes from several places, most notably lies in advertising.
They do a great job at advertising with mass appeal - and also making products that appeal to the upper-middle class (because poor people can't afford their products).
With oodles of upper-middle class customers, they end up with a lot of followers who are pretty talented at rationalizing the irrational - such as paying 1/3 more for pretty much everything, allowing themselves to be led around on a leash by Steve Jobs, fawning over minor hardware and software updates, and not researching products before they buy them.
As a result of all of this, the advertising lies become mainstream beliefs of a religious nature and they start coming up, unchallenged, in everyday conversation.

It amounts to arrogance oozing from the company at every interaction, which is then lapped up by their obediant sheep consumers, who are then so delighted with their decision to buy what their friend has instead of surveying the landscape and buying something that suits their individual needs, that they have to tell everyone how great, unique, and interesting they are.

...for example, the friend of mine that insists that iPad has an app with the full feature-set of OneNote (because Apple has apps that can do anything, not because it exists and he's found it in the App[le?] Store).

Interestingly, the same sort of thing happens with a lot of products (these forums are packed with examples of fanboi-ism) but the "hatred" as you put it I think stems mostly from how obvious the lies from the top are, combined with how mindlessly they're propogated.

It's a cult, and the cult-members are delusional. Anyone outside of the cult can see this. The trick is to make sure you don't find yourself in a different cult -which starts getting into the philosophy of geopolitical conflict through history. :D

MartyLK

Apr 19, 2010
Oklahoma City
The Apple hatred comes from several places, most notably lies in advertising.
They do a great job at advertising with mass appeal - and also making products that appeal to the upper-middle class (because poor people can't afford their products).
With oodles of upper-middle class customers, they end up with a lot of followers who are pretty talented at rationalizing the irrational - such as paying 1/3 more for pretty much everything, allowing themselves to be led around on a leash by Steve Jobs, fawning over minor hardware and software updates, and not researching products before they buy them.
As a result of all of this, the advertising lies become mainstream beliefs of a religious nature and they start coming up, unchallenged, in everyday conversation.

It amounts to arrogance oozing from the company at every interaction, which is then lapped up by their obediant sheep consumers, who are then so delighted with their decision to buy what their friend has instead of surveying the landscape and buying something that suits their individual needs, that they have to tell everyone how great, unique, and interesting they are.

...for example, the friend of mine that insists that iPad has an app with the full feature-set of OneNote (because Apple has apps that can do anything, not because it exists and he's found it in the App[le?] Store).

Interestingly, the same sort of thing happens with a lot of products (these forums are packed with examples of fanboi-ism) but the "hatred" as you put it I think stems mostly from how obvious the lies from the top are, combined with how mindlessly they're propogated.

It's a cult, and the cult-members are delusional. Anyone outside of the cult can see this. The trick is to make sure you don't find yourself in a different cult -which starts getting into the philosophy of geopolitical conflict through history. :D

You call it lies but you don't state what they lie about. As far as I'm concerned, my new iPhone 4 is the best piece of electronics I've ever owned. Most ppl say the same thing once they acquire one. It's the ones sitting and watching how successful Apple is that ***** and moan about them. They get caught up in the anti-fanboy'ism and flow with it.

You should be thanking Apple for what they've done for the industry rather than bad-mouthing them.

naplesbill

Jun 13, 2008
You call it lies but you don't state what they lie about. As far as I'm concerned, my new iPhone 4 is the best piece of electronics I've ever owned. Most ppl say the same thing once they acquire one. It's the ones sitting and watching how successful Apple is that ***** and moan about them. They get caught up in the anti-fanboy'ism and flow with it.

You should be thanking Apple for what they've done for the industry rather than bad-mouthing them.

Not singling you out, but I have to say this. You thank someone when they do something for you out of kindness. You do not thank someone for allowing you to give them your money.

Apple has already begun to show the true nature of iTunes and it should be obvious how they are hoping to dominate all access to media. I have no interest in supporting this hijacking of things that they have taken control of.

Before you call me an anti-Apple hater, realize that I have owned many Apple products. Everything from the first iPod to a MacBook Pro. This includes three different iPhones. What I cannot stand about Apple (now) is the way they decide what you can or cannot access on a device that you pay a monthly fee (to someone else) for. For instance, I should be able to download an mp3 file in the browser. But no, Apple forces you to go through the store on the device. If any other company pulled this kind of nonsense, everyone would be all over it.

Just because a shackle comes in a pretty package, doesn't mean it's not still a shackle.

Bleak Morn

Jul 24, 2009
Columbus, OH
You call it lies but you don't state what they lie about.

"Plaintiff’s claims, and those of the purported class, are barred by the fact that the alleged deceptive statements were such that no reasonable person in Plaintiff’s position could have reasonably relied on or misunderstood Apple’s statements as claims of fact," - Apple Legal
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/12/apple-says-cust/

Then there are the advertising bans in the UK, FTC complaints, etc. A quick search in your favorite search engine yields an inexhaustible supply of examples (but being a fanboi you won't look). The example above is a gem because it's straight from the source. This isn't mere opinion, it's a matter of public record.

It's the ones sitting and watching how successful Apple is that ***** and moan about them. They get caught up in the anti-fanboy'ism and flow with it.

I'm not upset at Apple for being successful. I'm a shareholder after all. I just think they could be more successful if they didn't lie or use hyperbole at every turn. Maybe they'd make more money if they weren't always defending their lies in court.

Maybe not though, so by all means, buy Apple products! Wait in line to line my pockets! The iPad is so awesome, why not buy 6 for each member of your family!?! :D

MartyLK

Apr 19, 2010
Oklahoma City
Not singling you out, but I have to say this. You thank someone when they do something for you out of kindness. You do not thank someone for allowing you to give them your money.

Apple has already begun to show the true nature of iTunes and it should be obvious how they are hoping to dominate all access to media. I have no interest in supporting this hijacking of things that they have taken control of.

Before you call me an anti-Apple hater, realize that I have owned many Apple products. Everything from the first iPod to a MacBook Pro. This includes three different iPhones. What I cannot stand about Apple (now) is the way they decide what you can or cannot access on a device that you pay a monthly fee (to someone else) for. For instance, I should be able to download an mp3 file in the browser. But no, Apple forces you to go through the store on the device. If any other company pulled this kind of nonsense, everyone would be all over it.

Just because a shackle comes in a pretty package, doesn't mean it's not still a shackle.

Excellent reasoning! I got a lot out of your comments. I can sense in your post you aren't biased and very objective. I can cope with ppl like you. It's ppl who don't consider others when they make claims it what I can't stand. You don't sound like a common sheep. The others, when they talk about "Evil Apple" they have no clue as to why they believe Apple is evil. They are just following peer pressure.

But the "thanks" I refer to, I hit on in my previous post. If it wasn't for the iPhone, none of us would have the quality HTC, Motorola or other hardware we have today. There wasn't any device that had all of the technology the iPhone had at that time. Want something better than a flexible, film-layered, easy to damage display?? Apple gave it to you...and only Apple. If Apple hadn't given the world the tech in the iPhone. We would likely still be using resistive tech. The whole friggin industry at that time could be summed up in one word, "Lazy". They didn't mind giving ppl one or tow things the iPhone embodied. But to cram in all that the iPhone gave us was to them as a waste. The industry would rather keep stringing us all along with cheap=ass hardware much like a drug pusher does rather than satisfy us all with true goodness.

With that said, I can rationalize the reason for the massive and vast Apple love today. We get relief from knowing we can have something that actually works and satisfies us in every way.

I'm no fanboy, I just am objective and rational about it all. Fanboy'ism is bad and the polar opposite of fanboy'ism is just as bad: anti-fanboy'ism...ppl that hate for no rational reason. Just because Apple doesn't make the system open is no rational reason to hate Apple. It does, however, rationally and objectively speaking, show that the ppl who hate Apple because the system is closed can't find anything better to go to; that Apple products are all they care to own. Otherwise, since Apple doesn't satisfy them with a system they want, they would go to the next system and be happy without ever having the slightest amount of animosity towards Apple. In other words, those ppl would vote with the money. But they don't. They moan and groan about Apple and how the system is closed and say they would never like Apple products.

You know, the human mind is simple in this way: If something bugs you, it usually means you want that something. Apple's way bugs a lot of ppl. That's because they secretly and subconsciously desire it but are ashamed.

MartyLK

Apr 19, 2010
Oklahoma City
"Plaintiff’s claims, and those of the purported class, are barred by the fact that the alleged deceptive statements were such that no reasonable person in Plaintiff’s position could have reasonably relied on or misunderstood Apple’s statements as claims of fact," - Apple Legal
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/12/apple-says-cust/

Then there are the advertising bans in the UK, FTC complaints, etc. A quick search in your favorite search engine yields an inexhaustible supply of examples (but being a fanboi you won't look). The example above is a gem because it's straight from the source. This isn't mere opinion, it's a matter of public record.

I'm not upset at Apple for being successful. I'm a shareholder after all. I just think they could be more successful if they didn't lie or use hyperbole at every turn. Maybe they'd make more money if they weren't always defending their lies in court.

Maybe not though, so by all means, buy Apple products! Wait in line to line my pockets! The iPad is so awesome, why not buy 6 for each member of your family!?! :D

Jesus Christ! Give me a friggin break! Some old fart is pissed off because he can't discern the difference in system speed from one iPhone to another. OMFG! There are all manner of frivolous law suits these days and you are saying, just because there was a lawsuit that Apple is automatically wrong?

Nah...you are the polar opposite of a fanboy. Clearly! I'm no fanboy. Much to the contrary of what you claim. The fact that you claim I am states you are an anti-fanboy because I know I'm no fanboy. The fact that Apple has never lied to me in any way and that I don't have hate for Apple makes me a fanboy??

I get angry and say of few negative words about WP7 and am labeled a troll and argumentative. Regardless that I do like WP7. The only words that interest some ppl are lovey-dovey, huggy-kissy words. Is that rational? It's okay to say good things. But it isn't okay to say deserved bad things??

By the way, I'm glad you're a shareholder in Apple. You clearly know them to be a money maker. I have no disgust at all about lining your pocket with my money. In fact, I'm glad to when I can. Your statement that I might be pissed about giving money to you because I buy and Apple product shows you to be anti-Apple. That's a childish rationality to have. Hoping I would be disgusted about putting money in your pocket...Jesus-F'ing Christ!

Last edited:

domineus

Jun 16, 2007
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2
OnePlus Open
an apple shareholder!? BURN THE WITCH!
nah for real I just don't like them. It's not even about their products I mean they are mediocre, it's the people that have the product that makes you want to scream. It's always buy apple they're the best; not really. I must've had a lemon of a macbook pro, iphone, and ipod touch, because they each sucked in their own individual way. Beyond being a status symbol in my eyes, I am not too keen on apple.

And yet I have a sneaky suspicion I will have to buy another apple product for school...shrugs my crummy luck

but er back on topic?

vetvito

Dec 31, 2007
What I cannot stand about Apple (now) is the way they decide what you can or cannot access on a device that you pay a monthly fee (to someone else) for. For instance, I should be able to download an mp3 file in the browser. But no, Apple forces you to go through the store on the device. If any other company pulled this kind of nonsense, everyone would be all over it.

Oh, the irony is killing me. The comedy is hilarious.

Bleak Morn

Jul 24, 2009
Columbus, OH
The fact that Apple has never lied to me in any way and that I don't have hate for Apple makes me a fanboy??

No, no, no... You misunderstand.

It's the fact that when I paste testimony from Apple laywers where they state that no reasonable person should believe what they say - then you assert (with hyperbole) that they have never lied to you in any way. :)

You want to believe in the face of any evidence to the contrary. That is what makes you a fanboi. :D

MartyLK

Apr 19, 2010
Oklahoma City
No, no, no... You misunderstand.

It's the fact that when I paste testimony from Apple laywers where they state that no reasonable person should believe what they say - then you assert (with hyperbole) that they have never lied to you in any way. :)

You want to believe in the face of any evidence to the contrary. That is what makes you a fanboi. :D

Oh, I get it now. Time for the ignore list. :D

By the way, I would have given you consideration if you hadn't made claims about me. Because of that, you have no credibility at all.

Last edited:

vel0city1

Feb 21, 2011
Since then Apple came out with truly revolutionary hardware in the iPhone. They released the first hard-surface capacitive touch 360x480 display, the first proximity sensor, the first gyro system for orientation and other minor touches.

Complete lie. I've had several devices with proximity sensors to turn off displays when you bring them close to your face and gyroscopes to change orientation automatically, many well before the iPhone was released.

naplesbill

Jun 13, 2008
The Nokia N95 had an accelerometer and was released in March 2007. The iPhone wasn't released until June 2007.

The Gyroscope made it to the iPhone with the iPhone 4. The Wii controller had a lot to do with making this a popular technology.

The bottom line is, Apple rarely innovates (I didn't say never, so don't overreact), they just package hardware with software well. Compare the iPad2 hardware to the Xoom hardware and you will understand how packaging is what they do best. The Xoom beats the iPad in pretty much every hardware category. Unfortunately, Honeycomb is still new and needs a bit of maturity to equal IOS on a tablet.

The use of capacitive touchscreens was a surprise to most experts. The glass screen is fragile and many mobile users (at that time) relied on pen input. I give Apple credit for taking the risk of using capacitive glass screens. The only downside is that they are fragile and easily cracked. I do think the use of a glass back on the iPhone 4 is pretty dumb though. I would rather have seen an aluminum unibody that included the back of the device.

Reactions: domineus

nicksti

Sep 7, 2009
Nah...you are the polar opposite of a fanboy. Clearly! I'm no fanboy. Much to the contrary of what you claim. The fact that you claim I am states you are an anti-fanboy because I know I'm no fanboy. The fact that Apple has never lied to me in any way and that I don't have hate for Apple makes me a fanboy??

Umm Apple told a whale of a lie to deflect blame about Antenna-Gate. I am sure you remember this little white lie (pun intended)

White iPhone - End of July 2010

Which in a nutshell shows how absolutely unreasonable people are being when it comes to this whole NoDo delay. Has Apple EVER said up to this day why we never saw the white iPhone come to market?

It must clearly come down to respect or lack there of. Because people in here seem to have afforded Apple more patience than Microsoft.

We all know why NoDo has been delayed. The pre-update blew up on Omnia 7 phones. We see that new devices are coming out with NoDo on.

So Apple lied to all of us. Maybe you chose to forget. Conveniently.

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
San Antonio
********. Complete and total lie and I charge you to name them!

Since we are all a bunch of losers, why don't you just stay off of this forum??? It's obvious that wp7 did not live up to your lofty expectations, so move on already. I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to take the device off your hands.

This is why I rarely come on here anymore....

and all this coming from an iphone user...
Why would you get an iphone4 so close to iphone5 release date? Is that so you can complain about the iphone4 down the road as being old hardware???

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's thinner than the iPhone 4! And is a gorgeous piece of art. I can't wait to get mine. :)

It's a sheep magnet that's for damn sure!
    It is odd how the OP says so much good for the phone. Reasons upon reasons why the phone was purchased and how great it was.

Then... because of no recent updates it must be a trash phone.

Get over it or buy a new phone. Stop complaining.
    As a rule I am not an early adopter anymore, in large part thanks to experiences in the gaming tech area. In that area, it's never, EVER a good idea to buy anything at launch because early adopters get screwed, 100% of the time. By the time the platform has matured to a level where there is a nice library of games and the hardware bugs have been worked out, there's usually a price drop or addition of features--or both. Whatever else is true, adopting later is more satisfying than adopting sooner, because you get more and better quality stuff for a lower price.

When I went to go buy a new iPhone, I fell head over heels for WP7 on the Samsung Focus. The UI is brilliant and I don't give a **** what anybody says to the contrary, Super AMOLED makes Retina display look like ****. It's not even a contest, and whenever I've shown my Focus to someone, side by side, with their iPhone 4--they've agreed unilaterally that the Focus has a better screen.

But the fact is, Microsoft launched WP7 too soon. It's missing basic, OBVIOUS features that should have been there from the outset. Custom ringtones, copy & paste, multitasking, sending SMS videos--all I can say about those features is "****ing DUH." Of COURSE those are obvious and should have been there from the outset. Any moron realizes that, and the fact that Microsoft dropped the ball on them is just ridiculous. That we're now almost FIVE MONTHS past launch and are still waiting for what amounts to a MINOR update is simply pathetic, and as a consumer I am starting to feel a little ripped off. Microsoft should not have launched WP7 in 2010. They should have waited until they at least got the obvious, ground level features that every dumb-phone for the last half a decade has had standard, out of the box, to say nothing of what Smartphones have had since at least iPhone 3GS hit.

I've been an ardent supporter of WP7 from the outset. I love the UI--it's head and shoulders above the rest. I'm patient with the small marketplace because it's growing fast and I enjoy the excitement of seeing what new goodie comes out next.

But I'm losing patience with how Microsoft has been handling the updates, and the absurd length of their release cycles. If this idiotically named NoDo update, which evidently should have been called "NoGo" instead, doesn't hit in March--then I'm done with the platform and Microsoft can suck it.
    You have 2 years to regret your decision unless you bought it unsubsidized.

That or you can learn to deal with the decisions you made as an adult.
    You have 2 years to regret your decision unless you bought it unsubsidized.

That or you can learn to deal with the decisions you made as an adult.

Here is how adults deal with products that fail to deliver what they promised: They sell them to some idiot on eBay and buy something else.

Android and iPhone are both strong contenders (though I'd really rather not give Apple any money, facts are facts, and at least they finally got the basic OBVIOUS features).