[ROM] CM7 SD Bootable, w/ experimental BT working.

Search This thread

lschroeder

Dec 1, 2010
Reactions: ADude

ADude

Mar 5, 2011
How do I in windows 7 use adb to push a folder with mp3s to the expanded sd card partition?

Edit: This is what I figured out. Is there a different or better way? Getting it to mount directly in windows would be easier, but I can not figure out how.

Pushed a file (optional name or new name after /sdcard/ - in folder example I left optional name out)
adb push VulkanoPlayer.apk /sdcard/VulkanoPlayer.apk (note: could install directly but I wanted an example for moving a file)

Pushed a folder Neil Young Harvest to music directory with other albums in it
First zip it with the spaces in the folder name.

Rename the zip, Neil Young Harvest.zip, replacing spaces with _. Its name now is Neil_Young_Harvest.zip.

adb push Neil_Young_Harvest.zip /sdcard/music/

Used ES File Explorer to locate zip file. Long press and use extract to current path. The Neil Young Harvest folder with spaces is now in the music directory

I tried this with an individual file (rather than a zip) and it worked.

Thanks !

I had to reboot afterwards, otherwise there were problems on the NC.

lschroeder

Dec 1, 2010
@ ADude glad I was able to help.

Did you see my post on backing up #127, if you done a lot you might want to consider backing up the complete cm7 card as an img file. You can if anything goes wrong reburn it and be right where you are now. Make sure you use the read option with a complete path including drive in the text box.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=12071908&postcount=127

I did not have to reboot nook. There are so many variables who knows. In the notification I used the mount usb option. I do not think it is necessary when we use adb. I type adb devices to make sure that I am connected.

I then on the nook quit using usb (but still connected to my pc) and used ES File Explorer to look at what I had done. I then sent the zip over and unzip while still connected. It is true I have to shut down the windows machine to get adb to release. Then I unplug the usb from the pc. There might be a command in adb to release it.

Last edited:

SCWells72

Feb 12, 2011
Installed this today. I'm just glad to have a CM7 build that runs from SD rather than eMMC so I can run Gingerbread while preserving the stock ROM! Thanks so much for putting this together!

webvan

May 20, 2008
Yes, it's amazing that you can run a full OS from a memory card! It seems to boot up as fast as eMMC too?

One thing though, sometimes (generally on boot) I see a "synch" icon in the bar top right and while it's active the NC is very unresponsive. At first I thought it was Gmail synching but it takes way too long for that. Anyone else notice that and know what it's about?

lschroeder

Dec 1, 2010
Once you boot from the SD card, you start to run rooted android image and you can adb into it. (see the instructions to update the device id so that adb knows nook is compatible with it).

Thanks for the great ROM. I am little confused about uImage from kernel.zip you mentioned in another thread. I downloaded it and got uImage out.

I shut down my nc and removed the sd card. I installed it in a usb adapter and mounted on my mac. I copied from the boot drive the uImage to my mac and then replace the uImage from the fixed version.

I was having trouble connecting my friend's white apple blue tooth keyboard. It would recognize it but not pair it. He had named the white keyboard from his mac with his name.

Another friend had the silver keyboard. When we put in the pin number, it would reboot (I thought the fixed uImage was a possible fix for this problem)?

I am able to pair and connect my Sony DR-BT21G with the old and new uImage with no problems. Plays audio fine.

When I booted with ROM Manager option "Reboot into Recovery", manual recovery, this uImage restarted your ROM instead. Were the original uImage from B & N suppose to fix this?

ADude

Mar 5, 2011
I did not have to reboot nook.

Are you using any adb commands before and/or after "adb push" ?

PS Yes, I have been backing up using read in the image software. But it is good to state it again for others reading the thread.

The final information I will need - eventually - is "how to migrate my personal installation to a CM7 installation on the eMMC ?" (which is assuming that the B&N 2.2 update is still insufficient for my needs, even if rooted).

verygreen

Feb 13, 2011
TN
linuxhacker.ru
Another friend had the silver keyboard. When we put in the pin number, it would reboot (I thought the fixed uImage was a possible fix for this problem)?
Yes, chances are the fixed uImage will fix this reboot.

When I booted with ROM Manager option "Reboot into Recovery", manual recovery, this uImage restarted your ROM instead. Were the original uImage from B & N suppose to fix this?

I am not very familiar with the recovery code so I cannot comment on this at all.
The kernel from kernel.zip should just match dalingrin's OC kernels, as I built it from his tree with his config, the only difference was bluetooth crash fix.

PMDColeslaw

Dec 3, 2008
Memphis
How do I in windows 7 use adb to push a folder with mp3s to the expanded sd card partition?

Edit: This is what I figured out. Is there a different or better way? Getting it to mount directly in windows would be easier, but I can not figure out how.

Pushed a file (optional name or new name after /sdcard/ - in folder example I left optional name out)
adb push VulkanoPlayer.apk /sdcard/VulkanoPlayer.apk (note: could install directly but I wanted an example for moving a file)

Pushed a folder Neil Young Harvest to music directory with other albums in it
First zip it with the spaces in the folder name.

Rename the zip, Neil Young Harvest.zip, replacing spaces with _. Its name now is Neil_Young_Harvest.zip.

adb push Neil_Young_Harvest.zip /sdcard/music/

Used ES File Explorer to locate zip file. Long press and use extract to current path. The Neil Young Harvest folder with spaces is now in the music directory

There are 2 easier ways to do this. One is to use the NookColorUMS app that is installed on the nookie SD to mount the different partitions.

If you want to use adb then you can go this route:

In ADB enter these commands to mount the different partitions.

eMMC /boot partition:

echo /dev/block/mmcblk0 > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file

SD Card /boot partition:

echo /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun1/file

SD Card /sdcard Partition (storage):

echo /dev/block/mmcblk1p4 > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun1/file

You can mount any partition you like this way. "mmcblk0" is the eMMC and "mmcblk1" is the SDcard. The "p1" (partition 1) or "p4" (partition 4) specifies the partion of that disk you want to mount. once you enter the command and hit enter it should pop up a window just like when you plug in a thumb drive or whatever.

"lun0" and "lun1" are two virtual usb drives. So you can mount one partition to lun0 and another to lun1 at the same time.

I would NOT make changes to any /boot partition that is currently in use just to be safe. (boot from sd if you want to edit emmc /boot and boot emmc if you want to edit sd /boot)

I would have believed it would never work except for 2 reasons... folks have used bootable CWR cards for a while... and it booted to CWR the Once for me...

To get the GAPPS use the instructions we had to use for Honeycomb;

http://nookdevs.com/Honeycomb_Google_Apps_and_Market

But wold be a lot easier if CWR would work...

I replaced the u-boot.bin file on the SD /boot with the one attached below and I am now able to boot into recover with the power + n button combo. However, when I flash stuff from cwr it flashes it to emmc instead of sd. :/

Not sure what to do from here...

Attachments

• u-boot.zip
    90.2 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

jtbnet

Oct 28, 2009
Cochituate
I replaced the u-boot.bin file on the SD /boot with the one attached below and I am now able to boot into recover with the power + n button combo. However, when I flash stuff from cwr it flashes it to emmc instead of sd. :/

THANX... that helps... I tried replacing the uRecRam and uRecImg but that didn't help... I would have expected the FS mounts would have been in the uRecRam (ramdisk) image... but if replacing the u-boot gets me one step further then at least it's progress...

lschroeder

Dec 1, 2010
There are 2 easier ways to do this. One is to use the NookColorUMS app that is installed on the nookie SD to mount the different partitions.

I would NOT make changes to any /boot partition that is currently in use just to be safe. (boot from sd if you want to edit emmc /boot and boot emmc if you want to edit sd /boot)

Thanks for your solutions.

I was just using the NookColorUMS app and getting ready to post it as an alternative. Your right it is much easier. Here is his thread.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11322639&postcount=1

"From NookColorUMS OP Compatibility mode will need to be disabled in Spare parts (reboot required)." I did this step first.

Do not use the usb notification to mount. Use NookColorUMS instead.

After the reboot I selected from his pull down 1st Mount point to be "Mount SD (4) Fourth Partition. Then I scroll to the bottom and pressed CONFIRM button. Next I selected from pull down 2nd Mount point and Selected "Mount Media".

I copied some more of my videos to the /emmc/My Files/Videos/ folder using the pop up window for Mount Media. I then copied more albums over to the music folder on the /sdcard/ (Fourth Partition 2nd pop up window) that I had expanded earlier.

In windows I went to each individual drive and unmounted them. Got safe to remove message for each. Next I change the Android app to Unmount and CONFIRM each of the drives. Back in Windows the safe to remove Nook Color would not allow since ADB had it. So I shut down windows before unplugging. Is there a way in ADB to release it, so I do not need to shut down windows before unplugging?

Last edited:

lschroeder

Dec 1, 2010
I would NOT make changes to any /boot partition that is currently in use just to be safe. (boot from sd if you want to edit emmc /boot and boot emmc if you want to edit sd /boot).

Shut down the nc, remove the sd card, power up, load sd card, mount sd card. Is there any easier way to cause it to boot from emmc? Maybe adb command?

SCWells72

Feb 12, 2011
Having trouble with Market

I love, love, love this ROM on SD, but I'm having trouble with the Market. There are a few things missing that are there for every other ROM I've tried (Eclair, Froyo, and Honeycomb), notably Twitter and Homebrewtalk. I've tried all the tricks I know to get the Market working, basically changing the fingerprint in build.props, clearing the Market cache, and clearing the Google Services Framework data, then rebooting, and still those apps don't appear. I just tried using Appbrain and that didn't work either. When it tries to access the Market it also fails. Any ideas?

UPDATE: Still no luck. At this point I've tried all three fingerprints (passion 2.3.3, stingray 3.0, and sholes 2.2.1), resetting the Market cache and GSF data and rebooting each time. Then I try to find Twitter or Homebrewtalk in the Market and come up empty. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

epakrat75

Aug 11, 2010
Chicago
When I flash from CWM it goes to emmc rather than SD so I don't think that's an option. Can this SD be upgraded using the nightlies? Could I simply mount /system on my computer and just copy over the files from the update zip? Push /system via ADB? Would the vold need to stay as it is on the SD now? If so, anything else?

Last edited:

jtbnet

Oct 28, 2009
Cochituate
When I flash from CWM it goes to emmc rather than SD so I don't think that's an option. Can this SD be upgraded using the nightlies? Could I simply mount /system on my computer and just copy over the files from the update zip? Push /system via ADB? Would the vold need to stay as it is on the SD now? If so, anything else?

I would have thought it would require a custom uRecRam (Recovery ramdisk) to allow it to have the correct FS mapping for use on a SDCard based versions... Not sure that anyone has done this though... but hoping...

Last edited:

neoshi

Apr 4, 2010
Anyone having trouble with the newest version of softkeys (dled from market) force closing?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Notes: First off, I take no credit for this, other than posting it here to make it more visible to those who might otherwise miss this. This was originally made and posted by "verygreen" here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=12023893&postcount=7

btw, those eager to try external keyboard already can give it a try with all the BT progress made by fattire (the real hero).

Since I want to stay on the safe side myself, I compiled this 2G SD image that you can boot into and have working bluetooth (keyboard and external audio confirmed working). Of course use at your own risk and such:

http://handhelds.ru/nook/2g_bt_card_image.img.gz

go to settings -> wireless & networks
    make sure that bluetooth is enabled and then you can explore and pair devices in "bluetooth settings" there.

Range so far is in the area of 13", so usable for a keyboard at least.

Hopefully the author (verygreen) will be able to post here and support users, especially since this is the first public SD build of CM7. I plan on trying this myself tonight, but since i am at work, i cannot do so yet. Any feedback will be great for the author and community.

Have at it folks!
    I would like to know also. What would be the procedure for doing it? I thought I saw an answer to upgrading using the nightlies in one of the other threads but I can not find it now. Did anyone else see this?

The way I use (which is probably not the easiest, but works for me). Requires Linux or some other OS that can mount ext4.

Just mount partition 2 on the SD card.
    Get the update...zip file with a newer nightly, unpack it somewhere.
    Copy changed files to sd card discard the /system component of the path).
    Change the permissions of files that need changing (like ping and such - see the list in update scripe in META-INFO dir).
    Copy kernel to first partition, name uImage.
    Don't copy the ramdisk.img anywhere (though actually it could be done with unpacking, some changes and repacking).

Anyway I really did not expect there would be such a demand for SD version of CM7 build. As such I am really thinking of rolling an upgradeable version in a small image that would self expand to fill the entire card whatever the amount
    and perhaps with a semi-automatic way to download and install gapps.

I don't have much time right now, but hopefully this weekend I'd spend some time in this direction then.
    Sorry for the noob question, but is there any way I can get market on this? Not sure how to do it running off SD.

I was able to get Market working on this SD image using the Honeycomb market fix:

http://nookdevs.com/Honeycomb_Google_Apps_and_Market

The only thing I did different was get the more recent gapps.

BTW - Thanks to verygreen for the first SD version of CM7 I was able to find.

I could not get Bluetooth to work (didn't spend alot of time.).

More Technical Information Proceed at your own risk

To extend the 4th partition I inserted the card into my Linux box and then deleted the 4th partition and then recreated it will all the space and then formated it with mkfs.vfat

Code:
    # unmount all mounted partitions on the sdcard (A# is your sdcard letter like) sdd
    umount /dev/sdA#
    umount /dev/sdA#
    # etc..
    cfdisk /dev/sdA
    # Delete 4th partition
    # Recreate 4th partition as primary with all remaining space
    # Set 4th partition type to 0C (same as 1st partiton)
    # Write changes to disk
    mkfs.vfat /dev/sdA4 #Should be the number of the new partition you set up.

It also mounted the first fat32 partition as my SDCard. I had to modify /etc/vold.fstab and change the mount partition from auto to 4 to get it to see the partition 4 fat32 partition.

Code:
    adb pull /etc/vold.fstab
    # modify /etc/vold.fstab and change the auto portion of line:
    # dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.0/mmc_host/mmc1
    # to
    # dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 4 /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.0/mmc_host/mmc1
    adb remount 
    adb push vold.fstab /etc/vold.fstab
    adb reboot

Hope this helps and does not confuse!
    If you can extend it in windows great. I knew how to do what I wanted in Linux so thats how i did it.

Just extend with the partition manager in windows (replaces whole first group). Then in windows adb pull it down, then open vold.fstab with notepad++ to change the "auto" to a "4". Save it. Then use windows adb to push it. You can cut and paste each line from your second group into the cmd window. Be sure to change the file,vold.fstab, with notepad++ (Linux format editor for windows) before you push it. Do not use notepad format it wrong.

You will have to download and install notepad++. Have to download and install EASEUS Partition Master 7.0.1 Home Edition (new version is available).

STEPS
    Extend with Partition Master

adb pull /etc/vold.fstab

modify and save in notepad++ change "auto" to "4"

adb remount
    adb push vold.fstab /etc/vold.fstab
    adb reboot
    Bluetooth GPS is paired but not connected. Getting some GPS software to test.

WORKED! Had to Install Bluetooth GPS Provider from the market. Started the service and BAM.. Accurate to 1 meter on google maps!