[Guide] How to Return to Stock Hboot and Remove Eng Hboot

Search This thread

hispeedworm

May 7, 2009
Update 5 July 2011 : G2 users feeling like going back to G2 eng-Hboot from Dz eng-hboot (unity and doubleshot users) check out post number 2

hello everyone ....

im writing this thread as i could not find and adequate information on the wiki page about how to restore stock hboot on desire Z after installing ENG-hboot if you want to... after reading a million threads and asking alot of senior developers and mods over here i came to a working solution..... many of you might know it already but this guide is for people who are new to desire Z and this information is not present in Desire Z wiki......

WARNING​

THE FILE (HBOOT) I AM POSTING IS SPECIFIC FOR DESIRE Z WHICH WAS FACTORY UNLOCKED AND CAME WITH STOCK 1.34.405.5 ROM AND ONLY USE THIS HBOOT FILE AND THIS METHOD EXACTLY IF YOUR S-OFF WITH GFREE ASWELL WITH ENG-HBOOT INSTALLED..... IF ONLY ENG-HBOOT INSTALLED YOU SHOULD S-OFF VIA GFREE THAN USE THIS GUIDE....IF YOU DIDNT HAVE FACTORY UNLOCKED DESIRE WITH 1.34.405.5 ROM READ SECOND PART OF MY POST FIRST...... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED AND IM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF TURN YOUR DEVICE INTO A BRICK....

STEPS:

(do a nandroid before starting incase you need to restore if phone gets stuck on htc screen after this procedure)

1. Download this zip and extract stock hboot file (1.34.405.5 stock hboot for desire z) and copy to your fastboot/adb folder ....

2. Verify its md5sum of the hboot*.nb0 (md5sum is of the hboot file not zip file) file with this

md5sum = 613ddd077d65d51259795c02ccc2023d

3. Then, from your computer go to command prompt and than go into your fastboot/adb folder

adb push hboot_7230_Vision_HEP_0.85.0005_101011.nb0 /data/local

4. After the file is pushed to the phone verify its md5sum on phone (being extra careful here) using this command:

first write in command prompt

adbshell

and let adb deamon start...... you should see a $ or # depending on whether
you have super user permissions or not....now write

md5sum /data/local/hboot_7230_Vision_HEP_0.85.0005_101011.nb0

and it should show up something like this

613ddd077d65d51259795c02ccc2023d /data/local/hboot_7230_Vision_HEP_0.85.0005_101011.nb0

5. This next step is CRUCIAL. You must make sure that you are writing to the proper partition here or you could brick your phone. To be absolutely clear- the partition is mmcblk(zero)p(one)(eight) I'd recommend using an adb shell from your computer (with root privileges: just unlock your phone, run 'su' in adb shell, a window will pop up in your phone asking you to allow it to run, check for it to remember, then allow, the prompt in adb shell will change to '#') for the following command, as it will permit you to copy/paste it: ( if your already seeing # than you already have superuser permissions in adbshell)

dd if=/data/local/hboot_7230_Vision_HEP_0.85.0005_101011.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

That should do it. You can verify that you have the Stock HBOOT by restarting the phone into the bootloader it should say

something like "VISION PVT S-OFF" and the "ENG" would be gone......

RETURNING TO STOCK HBOOT PART 2​

If you dont have the factory unlocked desire z and your phone didnt come with 1.34.405.5 rom out of the box dont use the HBOOT file i posted.

But you can use this method for returning to stock hboot.

STEPS:

1. For that you download the RUU file specific for your phone from the sticky stock roms section.....

2. open the RUU*.exe file and while its open find the temp folder and locate the folder rom.zip.....

cant find the rom.zip????? use this Guide... it helped me find my rom.zip on my windows 7 :)

3. open it with any zip explorer (for some reason my windows 7 was not opening this rom.zip file saying it is invalid i used winrar instead)

4. extract all files to some folder and go there to find the file named something like this.....

hboot_7230_Vision_HEP_0.85.0005_101011.nb0 (your file might have different numbers in the end but its name will start with hboot)

5. generate its MD5sum (there are many md5sum generators online use any you want)

6. than use my guide posted above and use your extracted hboot*.nb0 file and using the name of your file rather than what i posted in commands above.....

Credits go to our forum mod steviewevie for helping me out in restoring my stock hboot and getting rid of eng hboot....

and also to vision wiki .... most of the commands and text i used here are from the eng hboot wiki section ......

Attachments

• Stock-hboot.zip
    219.4 KB · Views: 2,660
Last edited:

hispeedworm

May 7, 2009
Guide to go from Dz-Hboot back to G2-Hboot (unity and doubleshot users)( For G2 only)

Update 5 July 2011

People who are concerned with flashing DZ-hboot on the G2 for Unity rom or Doubleshot rom..... You can use this guide to Return to your G2 Hboot be it Eng version or stock version .All the warnings and disclaimer posted in the first post apply here too.

This is not For Desire Z owners. You will brick your phone if you apply G2 hboot onto Desire Z

STEPS:

(do a nandroid before starting incase you need to restore if phone gets stuck on htc screen after this procedure)

1. For G2 Eng-Hboot download this vision.hboot-0.76.2000.zip

2. Now simply extract the hboot-eng.img file from the zip and compare its Md5sum of the hboot-eng.img file with this md5sum 7669AE12DC2FAA10AE555A164980EFD0 and copy to your fastboot/adb folder ....

3. Then, from your computer go to command prompt and than go into your fastboot/adb folder

adb push hboot-eng.img /data/local

4. After the file is pushed to the phone using this command:

adbshell

md5sum /data/local/hboot-eng.img

7669ae12dc2faa10ae555a164980efd0 /data/local/hboot-eng.img

compare the Md5sums here from your phone .....

5. This next step is CRUCIAL. You must make sure that you are writing to the proper partition here or you could brick your phone. To be absolutely clear- the partition is mmcblk(zero)p(one)(eight) I'd recommend using an adb shell from your computer (with root privileges: just unlock your phone, run 'su' in adb shell, a window will pop up in your phone asking you to allow it to run, check for it to remember, then allow, the prompt in adb shell will change to '#') for the following command, as it will permit you to copy/paste it: ( if your already seeing # than you already have superuser permissions in adbshell)

dd if=/data/local/hboot-eng.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

That should do it. You can verify that you have the Eng-HBOOT by restarting the phone into the bootloader it should say IN Second line "HBOOT-0.76.2000"

and your done :)

if your stuck on htc screen after restarting means all your partitions have been wiped. go into recovery ( ignore any errors like cannot mount cache) . do a full wipe,than wipe cache and finally wipe dalvik cache from advanced. than restore your nandorid backup. and preferably not of unity or doubleshot rom cause that will not fit in system partition....

Last edited:

hispeedworm

May 7, 2009
Do you think is possible to do the same thing with a Desire HD ?

i dont see why it shouldnt be possible if you used the ENG-hboot by the method used in wiki....

but generate your own hboot by extracting from your stock desire HD rom.....all the best :)

and im not responsible if you brick it your doing it at your own risk.... but i used this method for my desire Z..... and it worked perfectly.....

Edit: if you do try it and it works ... do post it here ... ill update the first post adding a note to confirm this method working for Desire HD too :)

Last edited:

hispeedworm

May 7, 2009
Is this going to work on g2?

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

worked for me on desire z.... g2 is identical...... so yea it should..... but like i said before .... generate your own hboot from stock rom..... as the one i posted was for desire z.....

make sure your s-off via gfree......and follow the guide very carefully

and i am not responsible is you mess it up

Spaghetti-XRY

Jan 20, 2011
Ok I'll try but just if I can reach what I want....
I've a vodafone DHD locked with cid VODAP004 (something like that), I've done s-OFF and Eng S-OFF, unlocked and superCid. Now i was thinking that if I install a stock HBOOT from RUU I can back to S-On, setting cid to HTC_001 and receive OTA from HTC, forgetting everything related to vodafone. Is it possible? Or in my phone there'll be always a reference to vodafone? I'm telling this because now when I boot in recovery my CID is 11111111, but when I do "getpro ro.cid" (I don't know if its written well) in adb shell it tells me: VODAP004.

hispeedworm

May 7, 2009
Ok I'll try but just if I can reach what I want....
I've a vodafone DHD locked with cid VODAP004 (something like that), I've done s-OFF and Eng S-OFF, unlocked and superCid. Now i was thinking that if I install a stock HBOOT from RUU I can back to S-On, setting cid to HTC_001 and receive OTA from HTC, forgetting everything related to vodafone. Is it possible? Or in my phone there'll be always a reference to vodafone? I'm telling this because now when I boot in recovery my CID is 11111111, but when I do "getpro ro.cid" (I don't know if its written well) in adb shell it tells me: VODAP004.

umm... im not sure sure of the desire HD recommended premanent rooting methods so what i say about rooting you should better confirm in the desire HD forum aswell... but if the same situation was here on desire Z.... here is the general concept of how it would be achievable....

1. install Gfree and do S-off using that as eng-Hboot s-off is not a proper S-off and g-free actually turns it off....

2. after your G-free s-off use the -f command given in the wiki that converts the CID to 111111.

3. than use my procedure to get back to the stock HBOOT... you would still be S-off than simply install a stock rooted WWE desire HD latest rom posted in your dev section

now according to my understanding with g free s-off all the sim locks and carrier locks are removed you can flash any rom... but its always recommended to install rooted rom posted on the dev forum with latest updates for WWE rom rather than going for a signed update from HTC.... or doing an OTA.....

even though i think that gfree s-off cannot be broken by stock non rooted rom... there is a danger it might and if it does you can end up with a brick until your vodafone comes up with an update number higher than your installed bricked rom...

hope this helps

Spaghetti-XRY

Jan 20, 2011
Well, lets better going in details:

1) I bought a vodafone, sim locked, desire hd. Baseband 1.7x - CID vODAP304
2) Than I've downgraded using the guide of desire Z, rooted with gfree -f (unlock, radio s-off, supercid) and used also One Click Tool to have eng s-off.
3) Installed a RUU 1.75 baseband stock - CID through recovery is 1111111, through terminal (getprop ro.cid) is VODAP304 [It's a known "bug", but the phone read the bootloader's cid and lets use any sim]. - Same situation if I install a custom rom.
4) So know in recovery I got eng s-off and in system info cid is 1111111

My question now is: It's possible to have s-on, installing hboot from a stock rom and obtain OTAs from HTC (changing also CID to HTC_001) forgetting that the phone was a locked vodafone one ? Or in others words... arrive in the situation as u've bought the phone directly from HTC unbranded and unlocked: Ship S-On, unlocked, CID: HTC_001 from getprop ro.cid

hispeedworm

May 7, 2009
Well, lets better going in details:

1) I bought a vodafone, sim locked, desire hd. Baseband 1.7x - CID vODAP304
2) Than I've downgraded using the guide of desire Z, rooted with gfree -f (unlock, radio s-off, supercid) and used also One Click Tool to have eng s-off.
3) Installed a RUU 1.75 baseband stock - CID through recovery is 1111111, through terminal (getprop ro.cid) is VODAP304 [It's a known "bug", but the phone read the bootloader's cid and lets use any sim]. - Same situation if I install a custom rom.
4) So know in recovery I got eng s-off and in system info cid is 1111111

My question now is: It's possible to have s-on, installing hboot from a stock rom and obtain OTAs from HTC (changing also CID to HTC_001) forgetting that the phone was a locked vodafone one ? Or in others words... arrive in the situation as u've bought the phone directly from HTC unbranded and unlocked: Ship S-On, unlocked, CID: HTC_001 from getprop ro.cid

ummm that is not possible.... as far as i think so.... but staying S-off via gfree. and keeping the carrier unlocked to CID 1111111 restoring original Hboot and installing a stock rom thats WWE rom and doing an OTA update might be possible but i cannot cannot confirm on that .... you would have to ask the creators of Gfree or mods of Gfree ... if that is possible....

its Kind of a Grey Zone.... :)

hispeedworm

May 7, 2009
ummm that is not possible.... as far as i think so.... but staying S-off via gfree. and keeping the carrier unlocked to CID 1111111 restoring original Hboot and installing a stock rom thats WWE rom and doing an OTA update might be possible but i cannot cannot confirm on that .... you would have to ask the creators of Gfree or mods of Gfree ... if that is possible....

its Kind of a Grey Zone.... :)

it might be possible via the fact that you S-off using gfree... but when your going S-on you restore the partition 7 of a stock desire HD which was factory unlocked with cid htc_001....(you can ask for a partition 7 from someone who had factory unlocked phone) on DHD thread

its very gray zone subject.... might work out perfectly as you want it to.. or you might end up with a brick at your hands .... all depends whether you wanna try it or not ;)

if you do try do post the result here as of what happened. all the best

Spaghetti-XRY

Jan 20, 2011
I read in a spanish forum that someone obtained to change CID number in "getprop ro.cid" using easy radio tool v2.2 .

For what I understand, I need to install stock kernel 1.32, than stock Radio (Radio_12.28b.60.140e_26.03.02.26_M ...this one I guess) for baseband 1.32, doing s-off change cid with easy radio tool and then OTA. I'll try.... and will let u know

hispeedworm

May 7, 2009
I read in a spanish forum that someone obtained to change CID number in "getprop ro.cid" using easy radio tool v2.2 .

For what I understand, I need to install stock kernel 1.32, than stock Radio (Radio_12.28b.60.140e_26.03.02.26_M ...this one I guess) for baseband 1.32, doing s-off change cid with easy radio tool and then OTA. I'll try.... and will let u know

super ... all the best buddy :)

Kenzy-FIN

Dec 20, 2010
Hi, Thanks for a great guide. However, it's a little bit confusing - will this work on every factory unlocked Desire Z, which have been shipped before the latest two OTA's (1.72.405.2 & 1.82.405.1)? I don't remember which software version was installed on my phone when I got it. I believe that the WWE-ROMs listed in the other thread are the ROMs for us in Europe?

Last edited:

hispeedworm

May 7, 2009
Hi, Thanks for a great guide. However, it's a little bit confusing - will this work on every factory unlocked Desire Z, which have been shipped before the latest two OTA's (1.72.405.2 & 1.82.405.1)? I don't remember which software version was installed on my phone when I got it. I believe that the WWE-ROMs listed in the other thread are the ROMs for us in Europe?

hey buddy ...well this guide is to return to your stock Hboot from ENG hboot while keeping root . and its for already rooted phones ...this guide is not for rooting. for that check wiki...

and yes my phone came with 1.34 based rom... and when i rooted it i installed eng hboot on it. later i removed the eng hboot and went back to my stock hboot using this method. and yes i have a factory unlocked desire Z too :p

Kenzy-FIN

Dec 20, 2010
Yeah, I know this isn't about rooting, but there are several different guides for unrooting devices, which have been rooted in different ways. I rooted my Desire Z with the rollback-method, gfree/eng-hboot etc, so I suppose this method suits for my Desire Z as well. I just wanted to know it for sure to be able to download these files to my server for future use... I'm not going to unroot my phone ever, until I'll sell it to somebody else :p

hispeedworm

May 7, 2009
Yeah, I know this isn't about rooting, but there are several different guides for unrooting devices, which have been rooted in different ways. I rooted my Desire Z with the rollback-method, gfree/eng-hboot etc, so I suppose this method suits for my Desire Z as well. I just wanted to know it for sure to be able to download these files to my server for future use... I'm not going to unroot my phone ever, until I'll sell it to somebody else :p

yes you can .... but than you would have to restore partition 7 backup via gree and turn S-on to finish Unrooting process

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 5 July 2011 : G2 users feeling like going back to G2 eng-Hboot from Dz eng-hboot (unity and doubleshot users) check out post number 2

hello everyone ....

im writing this thread as i could not find and adequate information on the wiki page about how to restore stock hboot on desire Z after installing ENG-hboot if you want to... after reading a million threads and asking alot of senior developers and mods over here i came to a working solution..... many of you might know it already but this guide is for people who are new to desire Z and this information is not present in Desire Z wiki......

WARNING​

THE FILE (HBOOT) I AM POSTING IS SPECIFIC FOR DESIRE Z WHICH WAS FACTORY UNLOCKED AND CAME WITH STOCK 1.34.405.5 ROM AND ONLY USE THIS HBOOT FILE AND THIS METHOD EXACTLY IF YOUR S-OFF WITH GFREE ASWELL WITH ENG-HBOOT INSTALLED..... IF ONLY ENG-HBOOT INSTALLED YOU SHOULD S-OFF VIA GFREE THAN USE THIS GUIDE....IF YOU DIDNT HAVE FACTORY UNLOCKED DESIRE WITH 1.34.405.5 ROM READ SECOND PART OF MY POST FIRST...... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED AND IM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF TURN YOUR DEVICE INTO A BRICK....

STEPS:

1. Download this zip and extract stock hboot file (1.34.405.5 stock hboot for desire z) and copy to your fastboot/adb folder ....

2. Verify its md5sum of the hboot*.nb0 (md5sum is of the hboot file not zip file) file with this

md5sum = 613ddd077d65d51259795c02ccc2023d

adb push hboot_7230_Vision_HEP_0.85.0005_101011.nb0 /data/local

4. After the file is pushed to the phone verify its md5sum on phone (being extra careful here) using this command:

adbshell

613ddd077d65d51259795c02ccc2023d /data/local/hboot_7230_Vision_HEP_0.85.0005_101011.nb0

dd if=/data/local/hboot_7230_Vision_HEP_0.85.0005_101011.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

That should do it. You can verify that you have the Stock HBOOT by restarting the phone into the bootloader it should say

something like "VISION PVT S-OFF" and the "ENG" would be gone......

RETURNING TO STOCK HBOOT PART 2​

If you dont have the factory unlocked desire z and your phone didnt come with 1.34.405.5 rom out of the box dont use the HBOOT file i posted.

But you can use this method for returning to stock hboot.

STEPS:

1. For that you download the RUU file specific for your phone from the sticky stock roms section.....

2. open the RUU*.exe file and while its open find the temp folder and locate the folder rom.zip.....

cant find the rom.zip????? use this Guide... it helped me find my rom.zip on my windows 7 :)

3. open it with any zip explorer (for some reason my windows 7 was not opening this rom.zip file saying it is invalid i used winrar instead)

4. extract all files to some folder and go there to find the file named something like this.....

hboot_7230_Vision_HEP_0.85.0005_101011.nb0 (your file might have different numbers in the end but its name will start with hboot)

5. generate its MD5sum (there are many md5sum generators online use any you want)

6. than use my guide posted above and use your extracted hboot*.nb0 file and using the name of your file rather than what i posted in commands above.....

Credits go to our forum mod steviewevie for helping me out in restoring my stock hboot and getting rid of eng hboot....

and also to vision wiki .... most of the commands and text i used here are from the eng hboot wiki section ......
    Guide to go from Dz-Hboot back to G2-Hboot (unity and doubleshot users)( For G2 only)

Update 5 July 2011

People who are concerned with flashing DZ-hboot on the G2 for Unity rom or Doubleshot rom..... You can use this guide to Return to your G2 Hboot be it Eng version or stock version .All the warnings and disclaimer posted in the first post apply here too.

This is not For Desire Z owners. You will brick your phone if you apply G2 hboot onto Desire Z

STEPS:

1. For G2 Eng-Hboot download this vision.hboot-0.76.2000.zip

2. Now simply extract the hboot-eng.img file from the zip and compare its Md5sum of the hboot-eng.img file with this md5sum 7669AE12DC2FAA10AE555A164980EFD0 and copy to your fastboot/adb folder ....

adb push hboot-eng.img /data/local

4. After the file is pushed to the phone using this command:

adbshell

7669ae12dc2faa10ae555a164980efd0 /data/local/hboot-eng.img

compare the Md5sums here from your phone .....

dd if=/data/local/hboot-eng.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

That should do it. You can verify that you have the Eng-HBOOT by restarting the phone into the bootloader it should say IN Second line "HBOOT-0.76.2000"

and your done :)

if your stuck on htc screen after restarting means all your partitions have been wiped. go into recovery ( ignore any errors like cannot mount cache) . do a full wipe,than wipe cache and finally wipe dalvik cache from advanced. than restore your nandorid backup. and preferably not of unity or doubleshot rom cause that will not fit in system partition....
    when i get into bootloader the progress look like this

Code:
    VISION PVT ENG S-OFF
    HBOOT-0.76.2000 (PC1011000)
    MICROP-0425
    RADIO-26.03.02.26_M
    eMMC-boot
    Aug 20 2010,16:51:01

SD Checking...
    Loading.. [PC10DIAG.zip]
    No image!
    Loading.. [PC10DIAG.nbh]
    No image or wrong image
    Loading.. [PC10IMG.zip]
    Lack of heap!
    Loading.. [PC10IMG.nbh]
    No image or wrong image

even though I've pushed PC10IMG.ZIP into sd card that I took from RUU, I stiil can't flash my device

if you can .... download the pc10img.zip from virtuous Rom .copy it on root folder on your sd card (use someone elses phone to access the sd card or use card reader) and go into bootloader again. hopefully that will be flashed.

from what i see maybe either you have the wrong RUU pc10img thats why its being rejected. or if you flashed stock hboot which is for G2 on a desire Z. that is checking the PC10img and than rejects it because it sees your phone as G2 and rejects the desire z stock RUU pc10img
    nice and simple. thanks for the guide.
    Thanks dude,
    Using the same method I updated my hboot from stock [hboot_7230_Vision_HEP_0.85.0005_101011] to hboot_7230_Vision_HEP_0.85.0009_101202 of 1.82.720.1 OTA for India.