Android file management idea

Search This thread

ironlood

Jan 31, 2010
Antioch
I have noticed that android apps are horrible with file management. When you install an app on the phone it installs a whole new file hierarchy.
Example... when you install Meme Generator it creates a memegenerator folder within that folder it caches Favorites, Instances, Generators, and shares
when you delete the app it doesn't remove this folder or any of its contents​

My idea is an app that would scan folders and mark if the folder is useless or not. Especially the unknown data folders that say something like com.fatsecret.android and have nothing but random .dat files or a .nomedia folder/file. Almost like a registry checker for a PC.

Another idea is to have an app that scans the SD card and locates all media. It would tell you how many of what type of file you have on your phone, and allow you to mass move to selected folders (Not copy or transfer but actually move th file to its new location)

im no programer but these would be great apps if they were to be developed

TornadoKick

Feb 18, 2011
It would be really great man, unfortunately, I'm not able to develop things like this, but let me know about if it's ready.

Sent from my Boston using XDA App Slovakia

ironlood

Jan 31, 2010
Antioch
Lmfao i neglected to mention I am only beginning to learn the android programming. So im in no position to even comprehend programming this ... but im researching the possibility.

Smells like WINNING from my T-959 xda premium app

Dirk

May 11, 2009
File management is very messy at the moment. Something needs to give!

ironlood

Jan 31, 2010
Antioch
The question would be how to determine useless folders.

My initial idea was to use a system similar to a windows registry. Once the app starts for the first time it will create a database that stores folder data, which then it tries to match to an app that installed it. If the folder shows that the app that created it has been deleted it shows a red folder or has a negative mark next to it, if its still installed it shows a positive or green folder. This way you can get rid of the bad folders.

My second idea was to have an app create a drop folder for certain file types. For instance a folder like MY DOCUMENTS that has the folders MUSIC, PICTURES, AND VIDEOS. When the app starts it has you select a folder to drop a specific file type (example .MP3 files into MY DOCUMENTS/MUSIC). The all then media scans the phone and locate all matching file types and MOVES the file not COPYS.

coreyja

Feb 18, 2011
Something kinda similar to what you want was introduced in FroYo. It gives each app a directory (on the SD card I don't know about onboard memory) that is automatically deleted by the system when the app is installed. Currently it has a few fairly big bugs but hopefully they will get fixed and developers will start to use it.

ironlood

Jan 31, 2010
Antioch
Something kinda similar to what you want was introduced in FroYo. It gives each app a directory (on the SD card I don't know about onboard memory) that is automatically deleted by the system when the app is installed. Currently it has a few fairly big bugs but hopefully they will get fixed and developers will start to use it.

That sounds liie it will be excellent once its implemented. I'm sure as most new things take time to catch on this will probably take a little while for it to happen. Maybe Google is going to make it mandatory for devs to do this.

Djay1809

Jan 7, 2011
HTC 10
Moto G Stylus 5G
It wouldn't necessarily have to be an app but some process that would make create or add to (create a sub-directory) default folders. I'm not saying it has to be a window like system but as simple as it gets Music, Images, Documents, Downloads maybe a spare folder for necessary background files (Hidden) But accessible when needed. The biggest problem here is that I don't think too many people that want this solution are programmers. because if you know how to program then you spend all day sorting throu this stuff anyway.

Dark3n

Recognized Developer
Sep 14, 2007
twitter.com
Well i'm on 2.2.1 and the system still keeps the settings folders in /dbdata/databases/*packagename* after you uninstalled it.
I usually resort to deleting the folders in adb shell when programming and testing apps.

So it seems there is need for this and there is no such tool yet?
I might start on it then, do you think there is enough intrest in something like that?

Help me with the most difficult and important step, invent a name for such an app :D!

Last edited:
Reactions: Green-Y-Cloud

HooliganAMA

Mar 8, 2009
Sounds like a useful tool. Great idea.

I'm constantly searching through my sd card and trying to figure out what can be deleted.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

ironlood

Jan 31, 2010
Antioch
Well i'm on 2.2.1 and the system still keeps the settings folders in /dbdata/databases/*packagename* after you uninstalled it.
I usually resort to deleting the folders in adb shell when programming and testing apps.

I might start on it then, do you think there is enough intrest in something like that?

Help me with the most difficult and important step, invent a name for such an app :D!

Name ideas
-sd looter
-Datei Objekts (file objects in German)
-file euphoria
-Zen management
-SD filed or SDefiled

Just a few to spark interest.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have noticed that android apps are horrible with file management. When you install an app on the phone it installs a whole new file hierarchy.
    Example... when you install Meme Generator it creates a memegenerator folder within that folder it caches Favorites, Instances, Generators, and shares
    when you delete the app it doesn't remove this folder or any of its contents​

My idea is an app that would scan folders and mark if the folder is useless or not. Especially the unknown data folders that say something like com.fatsecret.android and have nothing but random .dat files or a .nomedia folder/file. Almost like a registry checker for a PC.

Another idea is to have an app that scans the SD card and locates all media. It would tell you how many of what type of file you have on your phone, and allow you to mass move to selected folders (Not copy or transfer but actually move th file to its new location)

im no programer but these would be great apps if they were to be developed
    The question would be how to determine useless folders.

Allright, here we go:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1013063
    First version is out, please help me test it.