[webtop] full Ubuntu customization

Search This thread

edounn

Dec 6, 2010
Austin, TX
I'd like to start a list of programs that work and custimazation tips so that we can all get the most out of our webtop!

Visit this thread to get full Ubuntu working on the webtop:
[MOD] Full Ubuntu on the Atrix (now fully automated)

Before installing or modifying make sure that you don't (or any dependencies) upgrade: (as per Sogarth)
Be careful upgrading any of the -mot/~mot packages, as that can break functionality. I'm still compiling a list of which packages can be upgraded versus which can be left alone.

Can be upgraded with loss of functionality:
libnautilus-extension1-1:2.26.2-0ubuntu1-mot1
nautilus-1:2.26.2-0ubuntu1-mot1
nautilus-data-1:2.26.2-0ubuntu1-mot1
Upgrading these packages plus at least one additional package I've not yet fully identified breaks viewing mountable storage and the ability to unmount it.
xserver-xorg-core-2:1.6.0-0ubuntu14
Using the stock xserver-xorg-core 2:1.6.0-0ubuntu14 that's already installed without recovering /usr/bin/Xorg appears to lead to a loss of the status bar at the top. This particular issue is now handled by the script.

Cannot be upgraded:
gtk2-engines-1:2.18.1-0ubuntu1~mot1
This breaks aiw (Android In Window) so that there's no frame around the window and it can no longer be manipulated in any way.
xscreensaver-5.10-6-motorola1?
xscreensaver-data-5.10-6-motorola1?
xscreensaver-data-extra-5.10-6-motorola1?
This will likely break displaying aiw (Android In Window) as the unlocking mechanism for the screensaver. Still needs to be tested.

Working Ubuntu Apps:

• LXTerminal
  • eog
  • Pidgin (SOUND! install gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio)
  • GIMP
  • gedit
  • Transmission
  • gnome-panel (switch between webtop and gnome-session mouse to top of screen)
  • VLC works (tested MKV video, music a little choppy)
  • rdesktop
  • nano
  • joe
  • synergy
  • vnc
  • axe
  • lxpanel
  • openssh-client
  • AbiWord
  • Rhythmbox (thread )
  • xfce4

NOT working:
  • Open Office

Last edited:

edounn

Dec 6, 2010
Austin, TX
working on gnome-panel issue

but it does have more indepth settings. like display mouse keyboard etc

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 8,484

edounn

Dec 6, 2010
Austin, TX
so you were able to get a higher display res than 1280x768?

yes, but this wasnt due to gnome-panel.

i'm currently running at 1280x1024, but only due to limitation of my monitor right now. i get the 1366x768 at the home monitor.

i'm guessing your on an hdtv, doesnt do 1080p yet, so it drops down?

Attachments

• Screenshot-2.jpg
    Screenshot-2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,546
Last edited:
Reactions: santro652

edounn

Dec 6, 2010
Austin, TX
I see what you'rr asking now. Maybe its because i'm using hdmi to DVI? I haven't done any mod on this. It does it automatically choosing highest resolution. Could be wrong tho.. I can see 720p only being available if your on an hdtv.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

nosit1

May 19, 2010
Arizona
Am I able to write to the 'internal' storage. I know we have limited space, but can we write outside of the webtop environment?

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App

Reactions: firefreak664

dLo GSR

Mar 7, 2011
Los Angeles
I see what you'rr asking now. Maybe its because i'm using hdmi to DVI? I haven't done any mod on this. It does it automatically choosing highest resolution. Could be wrong tho.. I can see 720p only being available if your on an hdtv.

no, you're right, you do have 1280 x 1024, and it's available to select as your res if you click the display settings (even on an HDTV). it just doesn't help any for HDTVs since it's a non-widescreen res.

liranc

Feb 7, 2010
You guys think this would be powerful enough to run a Virtual PC program like parallels or virtualbox?

jbe4

Mar 29, 2011
You guys think this would be powerful enough to run a Virtual PC program like parallels or virtualbox?

maybe in 2.4 when there is full multi core support, or if that 1.5ghz overclock kernel extension ever comes to fruition. but what you're thinking is exactly what I'm hoping for

if I can get Internet Explorer to work via virtual box or even somehow through IETab in FF via IE running in WINE my life would be complete as the majority of websites I use for work are IE only

I can tell you that the iputils and nmap packages work perfectly, so does John the Ripper along with openssh

liranc

Feb 7, 2010
maybe in 2.4 when there is full multi core support, or if that 1.5ghz overclock kernel extension ever comes to fruition. but what you're thinking is exactly what I'm hoping for

if I can get Internet Explorer to work via virtual box or even somehow through IETab in FF via IE running in WINE my life would be complete as the majority of websites I use for work are IE only

I can tell you that the iputils and nmap packages work perfectly, so does John the Ripper along with openssh

I want to buy the Atrix, I'm on an ancient Android(i won't say which to save embarrassment lol). It really seems that it'll be a perfect fit for me especially if they have a virtual PC on it... mainly because of either browser support or having actual Microsoft Office on there

This will probably be one of the most powerful phones for a while so I might as well just get it. The 1GB SDRAM vs 512 of similar dual cores that have come out is a huge plus.

joe ferreira

May 21, 2007
Mountlake Terrace, WA
I was also thinking of installing virtual box but using windows 7 embedded as it is a much lighter footprint.
I am basically waiting for a CWM fiel that will run on 1.57 gingerblur.
Then I will start messing around with this.

joe ferreira

May 21, 2007
Mountlake Terrace, WA

edounn

Dec 6, 2010
Austin, TX
Did you guys know that in games if you hold one finger down on the trackpad while in webtop mode, you can press the on screen buttons? I tried it in samurai 2 and dungeon defenders. Its hard to find the buttons but makes games much more playable.

Can someone tell me if this works with the laptop dock?

edounn

Dec 6, 2010
Austin, TX
I am afraid you are right about the x86 part....

I will try qemu then :)

http://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...nning-windows-under-the-qemu-emulator-320569/

If it doesn't work with win7 embedded then I will do it with xp embedded.

I want to be the first on youtube with windows running on a nvidia tegra 2 cpu based atrix.
:)

From my research qemu hasn't been ported to arm.

Also windows CE is the only arm windows availible. I don't think it will work on tegra.

I also don't see wine working on arm ubuntu for a long time. Because it will have to emulate x86 for windows stuff.

Windows 8 will support both arm and x86. However, why do that when you have a better os right now. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'd like to start a list of programs that work and custimazation tips so that we can all get the most out of our webtop!

Visit this thread to get full Ubuntu working on the webtop:
    [MOD] Full Ubuntu on the Atrix (now fully automated)

Before installing or modifying make sure that you don't (or any dependencies) upgrade: (as per Sogarth)
    Be careful upgrading any of the -mot/~mot packages, as that can break functionality. I'm still compiling a list of which packages can be upgraded versus which can be left alone.

Can be upgraded with loss of functionality:
    libnautilus-extension1-1:2.26.2-0ubuntu1-mot1
    nautilus-1:2.26.2-0ubuntu1-mot1
    nautilus-data-1:2.26.2-0ubuntu1-mot1
    Upgrading these packages plus at least one additional package I've not yet fully identified breaks viewing mountable storage and the ability to unmount it.
    xserver-xorg-core-2:1.6.0-0ubuntu14
    Using the stock xserver-xorg-core 2:1.6.0-0ubuntu14 that's already installed without recovering /usr/bin/Xorg appears to lead to a loss of the status bar at the top. This particular issue is now handled by the script.

Cannot be upgraded:
    gtk2-engines-1:2.18.1-0ubuntu1~mot1
    This breaks aiw (Android In Window) so that there's no frame around the window and it can no longer be manipulated in any way.
    xscreensaver-5.10-6-motorola1?
    xscreensaver-data-5.10-6-motorola1?
    xscreensaver-data-extra-5.10-6-motorola1?
    This will likely break displaying aiw (Android In Window) as the unlocking mechanism for the screensaver. Still needs to be tested.

Working Ubuntu Apps:

• LXTerminal
    • eog
    • Pidgin (SOUND! install gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio)
    • GIMP
    • gedit
    • Transmission
    • gnome-panel (switch between webtop and gnome-session mouse to top of screen)
    • VLC works (tested MKV video, music a little choppy)
    • rdesktop
    • nano
    • joe
    • synergy
    • vnc
    • axe
    • lxpanel
    • openssh-client
    • AbiWord
    • Rhythmbox (thread )
    • xfce4

NOT working:
    • Open Office
    xfce4

here's mine.

attachment.php

attachment.php
    so you were able to get a higher display res than 1280x768?

yes, but this wasnt due to gnome-panel.

i'm currently running at 1280x1024, but only due to limitation of my monitor right now. i get the 1366x768 at the home monitor.

i'm guessing your on an hdtv, doesnt do 1080p yet, so it drops down?
    Am I able to write to the 'internal' storage. I know we have limited space, but can we write outside of the webtop environment?

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App
    tightvncserver is its own X server, you can run it by itself, but if the webtop is already running, it opens another X session on the second localhost display, but since its not initiated by a script that also includes launching the rest of the applications that make up the webtop environment, there is nothing to do once you connect to it via vnc. I just want to know which script that is called contains the nolisten tcp command line options so I can figure out how to get it running as a replacement X server.