[GUIDE] How to mount USB external harddisk(support NTFS and multi disks)

Search This thread

hawk2k8

Jan 6, 2009
Comment @ 1st June 2011: In Android 3.1 stock kernel or Tiamat kernel, it has usb-hosting function enabled.So just install hellcat82’s apk and ignore this guide, you could get your NTFS disk mounted.

All Thanks to Roebeet who has enabled usb hosting on xoom.
see the detail at here.

But it didn't support NTFS partition at this time, so i write this guide for ntfs supporting.

( hellcat82 has written a tool to simplify mounting NTFS drives, no need to push any file to android anymore. By just installing one apk, you will get everything. Let's give cheers to hellcat82! )

1.preparing

1.1 hardware
one microUSB male to USB-A female OTG cable.
one powered USB hub with USB-A male connector.
usb external harddisk.

1.2 software
Kernel: root your xoom and enable USB hosting mode by Roebeet‘s hack. or update kernel to Tiamat Xoom 1.1.6 which integrated Roebeet‘s hack.
NTFS supporting: NTFS-3g compiled by farazite , the newest version is on page 2 of that post.
Script Tool:gscript lite, downloadable from market.

2. push ntfs-3g supporting files to xoom
comment: ntfsvolume.apk is not compatible with xoom, so we can just use ntfs-3g and umount_force. at this moment, there is a bug in umount_force which can only dismount one partition, if we mount more than one ntfs partition, then we can not dismount all partitions totally.

Code:
adb remount
adb push ntfs-3g /system/xbin
adb push umount_force /system/xbin
adb shell chmod 755 /system/xbin/ntfs-3g /system/xbin/umount_force

3. Connecting Xoom,USB hub and USB disk

4. Mounting USB disks
use gscript lite to mount disk(s), or you can test this script via adbwireless, because we have no room to connect xoom and PC now.
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /
mkdir /mnt/ntfsdisk
ln -s /mnt/ntfsdisk /ntfsdisk
ntfs-3g /dev/block/sda1  /mnt/ntfsdisk
sda1 is the first partition of the first disk,
sdb1 is the first partition of the second disk.
and so on.
if you want to mount the second disk, the reference script is
Code:
mkdir /mnt/ntfsdisk2
ln -s /mnt/ntfsdisk2 /ntfsdisk2
ntfs-3g /dev/block/sdb1  /mnt/ntfsdisk2
PS:if the partition of your disk is FAT16/32, then you needn't doing anything , it will be auto mounted by Roebeet's hack.

5. Dismounting USB disks
Code:
umount_force /mnt/ntfsdisk

example:
I mounted one USB flash disk(512MB), one 2.5 inch hard disk(120GB), one 3.5 inch hard disk(2TB)
attachment.php

the ntfs partition can be read and written without problem.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• device.jpg
    device.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 51,964
  • device0.jpg
    device0.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 51,844
Last edited:

n0-0ne

Nov 26, 2006
balls, I missed that. These cords are hard to find. Found one on amazon UK but $40 was a bit steep I think.

myv6mustang

Jun 26, 2007
When u say hard disk are you talking spinning drive or flash drive with no moving parts? Can zoom USB port put out enough juice to power a drive.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

bwcorvus

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 15, 2010
When u say hard disk are you talking spinning drive or flash drive with no moving parts? Can zoom USB port put out enough juice to power a drive.

Xoom puts out enuff power. Puts out about 600ma. I was charging my evo from it last nite. I will be trying this tonite.

Sent From My Evo

hawk2k8

Jan 6, 2009

No, the usb port can not provide sufficient current to spin hard disk. so I used a powered USB hub to connect hard disk.
(I have tested it just a moment ago, xoom couldn't identify the 2.5 inch hard disk without powered USB hub.)

Does this work on the wifi only version also....
Just checking before I test this out...

I tested it on CDMA version, but think it should work on wifi versioon also, because it isn't network-related.

balls, I missed that. These cords are hard to find. Found one on amazon UK but $40 was a bit steep I think.

I spent less than 2 dollars to buy it at china.
I think it should be less than $5 in UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: cavemanb

ericdabbs

Jun 28, 2007
Los Angeles
Is there a hard drive size limit that it can't support for this USB fix?

I have an 2TB external hard drive that I would like to use but I am not sure it will work. It is currently formatted in NTFS mode.

thegeektern

Feb 20, 2010
There shoudnt be any limit, the limit is based on the file system. Unless there is some system limit.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

myv6mustang

Jun 26, 2007
No, the usb port can not provide sufficient current to spin hard disk. so I used a powered USB hub to connect hard disk.
(I have tested it just a moment ago, xoom couldn't identify the 2.5 inch hard disk without powered USB hub.)

Ok makes sense...will order the cable and give this a shot.

eaglecomm

May 24, 2007
I am a bit stuck at #4.
-------------------------
4. Mounting USB disks
use gscript lite to mount disk(s), or you can test this script via adbwireless, because we have no room to connect xoom and PC now.
Code:

mount -o remount,rw /
mkdir /mnt/ntfsdisk
ntfs-3g /dev/block/sda1 /mnt/ntfsdisk
Sorry for the ignorance....
I tried running the mount commands from adb through adbwireless.
I get 'mount' not a recognized command.
I then use terminal directly on the xoom and make it through mount, mkdir and ln.
When I attempt to execute ntfs-3g I get 'Permission Denied'.
I am logged in with root permission through su.

Also wrote the script (minus the mkdir since I already created it) in gscript and it also ends in 'permission denied'.

Additional testing...
I can see the drive fine when I run fdisk -l /dev/block/sda1
I have the /ntfsdisk folder mounted as r/w

Thoughts? Thanks for writing this up...

Last edited:

hawk2k8

Jan 6, 2009
I am a bit stuck at #4.
4. Mounting USB disks
Code:

mount -o remount,rw /
mkdir /mnt/ntfsdisk
ntfs-3g /dev/block/sda1 /mnt/ntfsdisk
Sorry for the ignorance....
I tried running the mount commands from adb through adbwireless.
I get 'mount' not a recognized command.
I then use terminal directly on the xoom and make it through mount, mkdir and ln.
When I attempt to execute ntfs-3g I get 'Permission Denied'.
I am logged in with root permission through su.

Also wrote the script (minus the mkdir since I already created it) in gscript and it also ends in 'permission denied'.

Thoughts? Thanks for writing this up...

sorry for the 'Permission Denied' of ntfs-3g.
It missed a chmod command in the first post.
we should run
Code:
to get the permission.

eaglecomm

May 24, 2007
That did it! Thanks...

Funny.. I got..
Couldn't set local environment, using default '(null)'.
The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
The file system wasn't safely closed on Windows. Fixing.

:) I think I probably just pulled the usb device out of the laptop without closing it properly.. eager to see if it found my files.

So.. all is well. Thanks again!

1 more question. Is there a need to unmount before the USB drive is removed? Or can it now be plugged and removed at leisure without causing any issues?

Bummer... now it's gone. I went somewhere else, then went back in to Root Explorer and the ntfsdisk folder is empty. Nothing was disconnected. Maybe it times out after a minute or two?

And the only way I could get it to show up again was to run it as if it was the second partition. Does it hold a value that needs to be released? I ran the umount statement.
Here is what I had to execute: ntfs-3g /dev/block/sda2 /mnt/ntfsdisk

Last edited:

hawk2k8

Jan 6, 2009
That did it! Thanks...

Funny.. I got..
Couldn't set local environment, using default '(null)'.
The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
The file system wasn't safely closed on Windows. Fixing.

:) I think I probably just pulled the usb device out of the laptop without closing it properly.. eager to see if it found my files.

So.. all is well. Thanks again!

1 more question. Is there a need to unmount before the USB drive is removed? Or can it now be plugged and removed at leisure without causing any issues?

Bummer... now it's gone. I went somewhere else, then went back in to Root Explorer and the ntfsdisk folder is empty. Nothing was disconnected. Maybe it times out after a minute or two?

If you haven't written data to the disk, I think it would be safe to unplug the cable directly.

for the issue of lost mounting, I have never met it, need some time to observe it.

eaglecomm

May 24, 2007
right, no worries..
And once I did a umount_force and then reconnected, it was seen as sda1 again. Maybe just a fluke.
Thanks.

hm1b

Dec 6, 2004
Earth
can this be applied to WIFI only Xoom version or not? to my knowledge there is some software differences with 3G.

eaglecomm

May 24, 2007
I am running Wifi.. worked for me. Don't know if it messed anything else up. ;) But so far I think the xoom is still truckin' along.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Comment @ 1st June 2011: In Android 3.1 stock kernel or Tiamat kernel, it has usb-hosting function enabled.So just install hellcat82’s apk and ignore this guide, you could get your NTFS disk mounted.

All Thanks to Roebeet who has enabled usb hosting on xoom.
    see the detail at here.

But it didn't support NTFS partition at this time, so i write this guide for ntfs supporting.

( hellcat82 has written a tool to simplify mounting NTFS drives, no need to push any file to android anymore. By just installing one apk, you will get everything. Let's give cheers to hellcat82! )

1.preparing

1.1 hardware
    one microUSB male to USB-A female OTG cable.
    one powered USB hub with USB-A male connector.
    usb external harddisk.

1.2 software
    Kernel: root your xoom and enable USB hosting mode by Roebeet‘s hack. or update kernel to Tiamat Xoom 1.1.6 which integrated Roebeet‘s hack.
    NTFS supporting: NTFS-3g compiled by farazite , the newest version is on page 2 of that post.
    Script Tool:gscript lite, downloadable from market.

2. push ntfs-3g supporting files to xoom
    comment: ntfsvolume.apk is not compatible with xoom, so we can just use ntfs-3g and umount_force. at this moment, there is a bug in umount_force which can only dismount one partition, if we mount more than one ntfs partition, then we can not dismount all partitions totally.

Code:
    adb remount

3. Connecting Xoom,USB hub and USB disk

4. Mounting USB disks
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    mkdir /mnt/ntfsdisk
    ntfs-3g /dev/block/sda1  /mnt/ntfsdisk
    sda1 is the first partition of the first disk,
    sdb1 is the first partition of the second disk.
    and so on.
    if you want to mount the second disk, the reference script is
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/ntfsdisk2
    ln -s /mnt/ntfsdisk2 /ntfsdisk2
    ntfs-3g /dev/block/sdb1  /mnt/ntfsdisk2
    PS:if the partition of your disk is FAT16/32, then you needn't doing anything , it will be auto mounted by Roebeet's hack.

5. Dismounting USB disks
    Code:
    umount_force /mnt/ntfsdisk

example:
    I mounted one USB flash disk(512MB), one 2.5 inch hard disk(120GB), one 3.5 inch hard disk(2TB)
    attachment.php

the ntfs partition can be read and written without problem.
    attachment.php

attachment.php
    NTFS Mounting App

Hey guys,
    I've created an app (based off the OP) which simplifies mounting NTFS drives. I know it works for the Iconia but I was wondering if somebody here would be willing to try it with the Xoom.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13337600&postcount=6

Cheers

Does this work on the wifi only version also....
    Just checking before I test this out...

I tested it on CDMA version, but think it should work on wifi versioon also, because it isn't network-related.

I spent less than 2 dollars to buy it at china.
    I think it should be less than $5 in UK.
    Well guys - IT WORKS !!! :)

I'm with 3.1 on wifi only version.

what I did :
    1. downloaded the apk from HERE (NTFSMount1_2.apk 204.8 KB)
    2. downloaded the ntfs-3g stuff from HERE
    3. unziped the file (you could use the root explorer)
    4. discarded all the files but ntfs-3g file
    5. followed the instructions from the first page of this post :
    Code:
    adb remount
    you could probably use the root explorer by pasting the file to the system/xbin folder and changing permissions (click all of them)
    6. install the APK
    7. connect any usb drive (I've tested with sandisc 16 gig key)
    8. goto the NTFS Mount app
    9. you should see your drive there
    10. mount
    11. enjoy :)

P.S : could see the mounted device via root explorer only (File Manager HD didn't see it...)

MANY THANKS TO THE CREATORS !!!

hellcat82 created the v1.2.apk for the purpose of eliminating all the steps... why do you need to do all those extra steps ?? :confused:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13337600&postcount=6

read what he said regarding the v1.2

Update

I've manage to pack all the needed files into an apk so you no longer need to mess around with adding files to sys