[Tutorial] How To Root Galaxy S 4G & Deleting Fota Files

Search This thread

moshe22

Mar 18, 2011
Rooting Galaxy S 4G & Deleting Fota Files

Hi guys - I wanted to shared with all of you the methods that I used to Root my phone and getting rid of the FOTA files and "Bloatware" which free up ALOT of space.

****I want to thanks "Theshadowman" for the Fota files and to the developer of SuperOneClick, the awesome tool that makes rooting possible.****

Before this fix I was getting the "Internal low space" message.

Let's get started

Programs and Files you will need:

-Samsung Galaxy S 4G Drivers 32-bit: http://rapidshare.com/files/456420295/SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_x86.rar
-Samsung Galaxy S 4G Drivers 64-bit: http://rapidshare.com/files/456420354/usb_drivers_GalaxyS_x64.zip
-SuperOneClick 1.7 (To root your phone)
-File Expert (to Unzip files)
-Super Manager (Access to /data/fota)
-Fota.zip (Files that will free up all that space)

Additional Files
-Bloatware (Thanks to Chadster)
http://db.tt/RFzd364

***Note:*** You will find all the files you need attached at the end of this post with the exception of Root Checker and Titanium Backup. You can download those by simply doing a search in the Market.

How to Root your Galaxy S 4G

1- Download Samsung Galaxy S 4G driver and install it. Make sure you know what version of Windows you've got. (I posted links for 32bit and 64bit)
2- In your Phone, Go to Settings>Applications>Development>USB Debugging.
Note: You will have to check USB debugging or else it will not work.

3- Download SuperOneClick 1.7
4- Open SuperOneClick 1.7
5- Under exploit MAKE SURE you select "rageagainstthecage" and then click Root. Let it do what it needs to do Note: the whole process will take between 5-15 minutes
6- Download Root Checker from Market
7- Run the test and it will confirm you that your phone is Rooted

How to Delete Fota files

Step 1: Download all three files in your computer and send them to your email and open them from your phone.
Alternative method: Download them directly to your phone.

Step 2: Install File Expert

Step 3: Install Super Manager

Step 4: Open File Expert and navigate to the directory aka folder that you downloaded the files to.

Step 5: Press and Hold the fota.zip file and select Unzip files
Note: File Expert will unzip files by default in same folder.
It will create a Fota folder with two files fota_delta_dp1 and fota_delta_dp2

Step 6: Open Super Manager and then open setup and check the "Enable ROOT function" then press menu on your phone and switch to r/w (stands for read and write)

Step 7: Navigate to the folder where you have the 2 Unzipped fota files (fota_delta_dp1 and fota_delta_dp2)

Step 8: Select both and cut them

Step 9: Navigate to /data/fota and paste the 2 files in this folder

Step 10:Reboot phone and WAWAWIWA! between 150mb-300mb of free space

If you want to get rid of Bloatware - Download Titanium Backup from Market open it and uninstall every app that you don't need.

Warning: Becareful with what you uninstall.

Hope this helps and let me know if have any questions.

Attachments

• Super_Manager_v2.0.0.apk
    2.3 MB · Views: 22,452
  • SuperOneClickv1.7-ShortFuse.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 20,648
  • fota.zip
    266 bytes · Views: 11,168
Last edited:

makavelicruz

Apr 5, 2011
Boston, MA
damn dude that worked! thank you, this helps the phone a lot right?? Hey man I was also wondering if you know a way to fix the lagging for this phone?? I've heard of oneclicklagfix thru superuser once u root the phone, but I can't access it because, like I was told not too long ago, there isn't a oneclicklagfix available for the sgs g4 right now. any pointers? thank you

Last edited:

fknfocused

May 24, 2007
Las Vegas
Its safe to say that if you didn't read about a lagfix in this forum, then there is none yet. I would only attempt tools for other phones if your an advanced user.

If you have the bloat zip file, use that as a template to delete apps. Im not that experienced.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA Premium App

Reactions: l0lz0rss

MarkP80nj

Mar 13, 2011
Bayville
now you've tried using that titanium backup app...now how would you know which bloatware you can removed and which you can't.

If you use the paid version, you can freeze the app first to see if it causes any problems.(trust me, it's worth the money)
If not, just do as fknfocused said. Download chadstet's bloat zip (in the themes and apps forum) and use it to see which bloat can be removed.
But it is pretty basic. If it ooks like 3rd party software, just rip that sucker out of your phone.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

moshe22

Mar 18, 2011
I'm glad this helped. No lagfix yet for this phone, but once you get rid of all the bloatware you should experience less lag. I'm pretty sure it will come out but I am giving it time.

Here is a list of apps i have removed and haven't experienced any issues after deleting this apps:

Folder organizer
Kindle
Amazon mp3
Double twist
airsync
facebook
news & weather
talk
layar
T-mobile tv
video chat (qik)
Desk home
media hub
add to home
gogo
inception
buddies now
feeds and updates
y! finance clock
slacker
telenav
drivesmart
drivesmart system

I have 328.23mb available on my Internal memory.

Bigz1982

Mar 11, 2011
Dude I was fine until I got to part where I have to paste the files in the
/data/fota file. I cannot locate it how do I find it.

moshe22

Mar 18, 2011
In super manager go to setup and select "Enable ROOT function" and then press the back button of your phone in super manager and then you will see the /data/fota make sure you are not in /mnt/sdcard/data. Let me know if you still need help

Sent from SGS4G

Reactions: JDM Civic EG8

fretbeast

Apr 7, 2011
Thanks a million

The fota.zip rocks! It was driving me crazy that I was removing the bloatware, but not gaining any internal storage. It went from 24M to 356M after your fix. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Chamgea

Aug 6, 2010
Nashville
If we replace the fota (firmware over the air) are we not going to be able to get our firmware updates over the air?

jeffsf

Mar 7, 2011
San Francisco
If we replace the fota (firmware over the air) are we not going to be able to get our firmware updates over the air?

Quite likely, without restoring them, if you've used the space freed for something else.

The files aren't really replaced, but the "placeholder" files that reserve space for FOTA have been truncated to zero length.

Removing the files completely will likely allow them to be regenerated, assuming you have cleared the space for them on the internal storage, should you want to get any FOTA (which, unless you're running stock firmware or are a dev and need the new firmware, is an open question).

slipin3

Oct 8, 2008
Illinois
this is awsome! great walk though. i wish i had this a month ago when i got this device but i had to search and learn and ask questions before i got 310mbs free! even though superoneclick 1.7 to root only took me like 2 mins. for anyone wanting more from there phone this is the way to go. im still running stock with Launcher Pro Plus.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooting Galaxy S 4G & Deleting Fota Files

Hi guys - I wanted to shared with all of you the methods that I used to Root my phone and getting rid of the FOTA files and "Bloatware" which free up ALOT of space.

****I want to thanks "Theshadowman" for the Fota files and to the developer of SuperOneClick, the awesome tool that makes rooting possible.****

Before this fix I was getting the "Internal low space" message.

Let's get started

Programs and Files you will need:

-Samsung Galaxy S 4G Drivers 32-bit: http://rapidshare.com/files/456420295/SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_x86.rar
    -Samsung Galaxy S 4G Drivers 64-bit: http://rapidshare.com/files/456420354/usb_drivers_GalaxyS_x64.zip
    -SuperOneClick 1.7 (To root your phone)
    -File Expert (to Unzip files)
    -Super Manager (Access to /data/fota)
    -Fota.zip (Files that will free up all that space)

Additional Files
    -Bloatware (Thanks to Chadster)
    http://db.tt/RFzd364

***Note:*** You will find all the files you need attached at the end of this post with the exception of Root Checker and Titanium Backup. You can download those by simply doing a search in the Market.

How to Root your Galaxy S 4G

1- Download Samsung Galaxy S 4G driver and install it. Make sure you know what version of Windows you've got. (I posted links for 32bit and 64bit)
    2- In your Phone, Go to Settings>Applications>Development>USB Debugging.
    Note: You will have to check USB debugging or else it will not work.

3- Download SuperOneClick 1.7
    4- Open SuperOneClick 1.7
    5- Under exploit MAKE SURE you select "rageagainstthecage" and then click Root. Let it do what it needs to do Note: the whole process will take between 5-15 minutes
    6- Download Root Checker from Market
    7- Run the test and it will confirm you that your phone is Rooted

How to Delete Fota files

Step 1: Download all three files in your computer and send them to your email and open them from your phone.
    Alternative method: Download them directly to your phone.

Step 2: Install File Expert

Step 3: Install Super Manager

Step 4: Open File Expert and navigate to the directory aka folder that you downloaded the files to.

Step 5: Press and Hold the fota.zip file and select Unzip files
    Note: File Expert will unzip files by default in same folder.
    It will create a Fota folder with two files fota_delta_dp1 and fota_delta_dp2

Step 6: Open Super Manager and then open setup and check the "Enable ROOT function" then press menu on your phone and switch to r/w (stands for read and write)

Step 7: Navigate to the folder where you have the 2 Unzipped fota files (fota_delta_dp1 and fota_delta_dp2)

Step 8: Select both and cut them

Step 9: Navigate to /data/fota and paste the 2 files in this folder

Step 10:Reboot phone and WAWAWIWA! between 150mb-300mb of free space

If you want to get rid of Bloatware - Download Titanium Backup from Market open it and uninstall every app that you don't need.

Warning: Becareful with what you uninstall.

Hope this helps and let me know if have any questions.
    I'm glad this helped. No lagfix yet for this phone, but once you get rid of all the bloatware you should experience less lag. I'm pretty sure it will come out but I am giving it time.

Here is a list of apps i have removed and haven't experienced any issues after deleting this apps:

Folder organizer
    Kindle
    Amazon mp3
    Double twist
    airsync
    facebook
    news & weather
    talk
    layar
    T-mobile tv
    video chat (qik)
    Desk home
    media hub
    add to home
    gogo
    inception
    buddies now
    feeds and updates
    y! finance clock
    slacker
    telenav
    drivesmart
    drivesmart system

I have 328.23mb available on my Internal memory.
    No problem man, Glad to help.
    hey. i got the drivers working fine from the noobs guide to odin. step 2 has the drivers.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1001759
    I made a one click fota fix app to make it much easier to fota fix. See link in my signature or search fota fix on the android market.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA Premium App