VTLauncher: tablet-centric launcher based on adw!!!

Search This thread

xmellyx

Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco
I just saw this on the xda homepage:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1017451

Its a new tablet-centric launcher based off of the adw open-source code but removes the phone-like dock bar and ads launchers thatbare highly customizable and scrollable. It is also suppossed to add support for scrollable Widgets as well!

Here is the description:

This Launcher is designed with landscape tablets in mind! (that's not to say it doesn't also function well in portrait mode..... as it does)

First off this launcher is based HEAVILY on ADW.Launcher's Source code so I would like to thank anderweb for all the ground work.

What I have done is begun to remove the tired old Phone Like dock bar we are used to in just about every android launcher and replace it with a sleek Scrollable/Drag-able/Drop-able/Rearrangeable "ALONG the BOTTOM" (NOW WITH TOGGLEABLE SIDE DOCKS AS WELL!) Application and Shortcut Dock.

You can drag any Application, Shortcut, Browser Shortcut, Folder, etc. onto or off of and even drag them to different positions along the bar. Basically just about anything you can usually place on the desktop (except widgets, sorry that is not going to happen) you can place on the dock bar.

So feel free to fill your desktop with widgets and clocks and weather and that cool picture of your cat , because all your favorite apps are a fling away at the bottom.

So far scrolling widget support is fully functional. If an app complains/or warns that it doesn't detect a compatible launcher ignore it and continue they should work (as long as they are ADW Compliant).

This should work on virtually any device. Though non large screen devices may have issues with the layouts so you will have to play with the desktop column and row numbers etc.

UPDATE Info: -Fixed all Paddings to be dynamic with regard to which docks are visible. -Increased the Folder Columns by one for both Orientations. -Fixed Animations and Reflections for proper directions on all dockbars. -Added Toggle Setting to Show/Hide the dockbar when the app drawer is open. -Added Right-Hand Dockbar w/Toggle Setting. -Added Left-Hand Dockbar w/Toggle Setting. -Changed Dock Style to be be centered instead of left justified. -Fixed a fling issue when there were less icons than cells that would cause the icons to fing right and stick. -Changed the default setting of drawer type to the vertical scroll style as it is smoother. -Changed the default setting of drawer color to have a slight alpha to it so you can see your wallpaper a bit.

Latest screenshot shows the new side docks! ------------------------------------------------------------------------Project site: http://vegantab.gojimi.com/vt-labs/vtl-launcher

BETA 1.4 Download: http://vegantab.gojimi.com/download/Launcher.apk

I am not in any way affiliated with the author, just thought I should pass the information along.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

xmellyx

Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco
Here is a screenshot of my setup. The launcher is a little buggy but the concept is cool and if they can clean up the code, it could be a serious contender for the tablet launcher crown.

http://db.tt/6PeGchD

PS. sorry about the crappy pic and link for pic. Screenshot er isn't working and tapatalk wont let me embed a pic from my xoom.

Last edited:

bishop72

Mar 14, 2010
I like the stock launcher better. The widgets are too small. Unless there is something similar with how the stock launcher transitions from screen to screen I will be set with the current setup.

The_Tech_Ninja

Apr 24, 2007
Detroit
It still feels very beta, the transitions seem "meh" however, it being a beta and all its expected. Uninstalled for now, but I'll be looking for updates soon.

Thanks.

Wobblin30

Mar 20, 2011
Looks promising. I ran VEGAN on my G Tab and it was a nice alternative to stock. I will be interested to see how it turns out in the near future.

xoppaw

Apr 4, 2008
silly question...is there a home switcher that works with honeycomb? if not how are you switching back and forth between stock and this launcher?

3devious

Nov 6, 2010
I'm not very impressed with it. It was kind of slow and the app drawer interface leaves alot to be desired.