[TUT] Tasker - Total Data Connection & Sync Control V4 [MASSIVE Battery Savings!!!]

Search This thread

brandall

May 16, 2008
Birmingham
[TUT] Tasker - Total Data Connection & Sync Control V4 [MASSIVE Battery Savings!!!]

Assuming your device is already very battery efficient because you are using my CPU profiles from here, next up is controlling your data connections and syncing schedule.

New to Tasker? Call yourself a geek?! Delete your XDA account immediately or get a free trial from here

The Theory

In order, the most important things in my life are as follows:

1) Preserving my phone’s battery life.
2) Sexually satisfying my girlfriend.

As you can see, it’s pretty important for me that I can get through a couple of days with medium usage without having a panic attack about the distance I am from my charger. Download my DistanceFromCharger profile here (just kidding).

So, I looked at my data connections and their battery usage when my scheduled once hourly sync of widgets, emails, facebook, twitter, rss etc etc took place. Without extensive testing, it became clear that these synchronisations became misaligned from the hourly slot due to data quantity, connection time/errors etc etc. Over time, it is therefore theoretically possible to have 10 applications/widgets/processes causing a data sync separately every six minutes (60 mins/10) and although some might say that the total data volume may be the same overall, the act of using the data connection so many more times tells me it will use more battery life. Do you concur?

Even if you don’t (liar!), the following Tasker profiles are to completely manage your wireless connectivity and prevent syncing of unwanted applications at misaligned times.

The Practice

My phone starts its day set to 2g networks only, data connection off, wireless off, screen brightness set so low I need there to be solar eclipse for me to see it and all system volumes set to only alert nearby dogs that I have a text message – all naturally for maximum battery preservation. Depending on the day, my location, calendar entries etc Tasker selects a relevant profile for me to use.

For the benefit of the profiles below, I am going to assume the phone starts in full battery saving mode and go from there. Once you’re up to speed with the flow of the profiles, you can adjust them accordingly to suit your usage.

Firstly, I learnt pretty recently that a wireless connection actually uses less battery than 3g (yes, honestly) and therefore whenever I sync data, I look to use wireless first. For those with constricting data plans, I’m assuming this suits you too?

Wireless states to consider:

On
Off
On and connected to a preferred network
On and connected to an open network
On but not connected to a network
On and recently disconnected from a network

I think that just about covers it?

Download and install Locale Execute Plug-in free from the market here. Import all the profiles (un-tick them) and tasks and with the relevant profile and tasks open (it will make a whole lot more sense then), follow the guide below.

Before we can look at the syncing profile itself, we need to set up some variables for the above first. For battery preservation, I couldn’t have an individual profile for each of the above, as many of them would be active at the same time and constantly on - After a lot of head scratching (and I mean a lot) I came up with the profile WIFI-OnCon let’s have a look at it:

We start with the state of ‘Wifi Connected’. This state means wifi is connected to a network (rather than just ‘on’). The task WifiOnConVar firstly runs a separate task WIFIPREFCON.

WIFIPREFCON writes a text file containing the standard wifi info variable %WIFII (you can take a look at the output file for your information). The next step is to extract just the SSID from the file so Tasker can set this as a variable %WIFIPREF (short for a wifi preferred network). The task ends with speech for you to test the variable has been set correctly (make sure you are connected to a network at the time).

Next, WifiOnConVar sets a variable %WIFIOC (standing for wifi on and connected) to a value of 2. It then sets a variable of %WIFIHOME to the value 2 only IF the name matches that of your home wireless SSID. You can set and add as many of these variables in as you like e.g. %WIFIWORK, %WIFIGIRLFRIENDHOUSE, %WIFIMASSAGEPARLOUR with the IF statement for their respective SSID’s. Setting up these variables is very useful to let Tasker determine your location for use in other profiles, without the need of running GPS or cell tower location profiles (yes, I’m a genius).

Ok, so at the moment, Tasker knows wifi is on and connected (%WIFIOC set to value 2) and you are at home (%WIFIHOME set to your home SSID) (assuming you are testing this at home). A speech task confirms the variables are set.

The next state to consider is when wifi is no longer BOTH on AND connected. We do this in the exit task – the exit task starting when the state of on and connected is no longer true. Firstly it checks if wifi is still on, if it is (goto action 7), it sets the variable %WIFIOC to a value of 3 (another profile reads this shortly) and then clears the name of the preferred network in %WIFIPREF as of course, that cannot be connected anymore…

If the wifi is off, it sets the variable %WIFIHOME to the value 1 and if you have added multiple preferred network variables (%WIFIWORK etc), you should insert that it sets these to a value of 1 too. A speech action confirms the values for your testing purposes (remember, if you delete the speech when you are happy it is working properly, you’ll need to change the Goto Action number accordingly!), the variable %WIFIPREF is cleared as of course you cannot be connected to a preferred network anymore and the task STOPs.

Finally, to complete the wifi control, we need to deal with the wireless still being on, but out of range of a preferred network (that you were connected to). This is definitely a chance to save some battery life, as we’ve all left wifi on by accident when we are not going to be using it. Above, we set the variable of wifi on and connected (%WIFIOC) to a value of 3 when the state became ON but NOT connected. The profile of WIFI-AutoDiscon is set up to come to life when %WIFIOC is set to a value of 3. It activates the task to start a one minute countdown before checking on the wifi state again. This one minute wait allows time where you may have been in a black spot in your office or home and experienced a short disconnection. At the end of the minute, it checks that the value of %WIFIOC has not been changed back to 2 (it has reconnected to a preferred network) and then switches off wifi with your battery giving you a high-5.

That concludes the wireless management. The only missing eventualities are:

On and connected to an open network. (I have little use for this, but can’t sort something out if the demand is high enough).

On and not connected to a network. Not having a profile for this may surprise you, but in actually fact, how often do you turn wireless on when you are not around a preferred network and just leave it? The only reason you would surely do this, is if you were scanning for open networks, in which case a battery saving profile is pretty irrelevant to the scenario. Remember, the state of on and not connected to a network when you were previously connected IS covered, the %WIFIOC variable 3 and the WIFI-AutoDiscon profile monitors this. Happy?

If not, set up a new profile with the state of wifi connected and click ‘invert’ – but this of course will be active when you’re not even using wifi at all…

Taking control of your data syncing

The profile AutoSync is of course time activated, as you would set up your normal ‘between hours’ for email synchronisation. The repeat value sets how often you would like to sync your emails, widgets, applications, weather updates etc etc, by simply restricting their access to an active data connection in-between-times.

The task of AutoSync itself, firstly checks your battery is above a chosen threshold (you decide) to perform the action and that it’s not the weekend (if you want). Again, once you get to grips with the task flow, you can add in separate entries for individual applications, actions etc based on an individual setting – not syncing your work email on the weekend for example.

Action 4 sets a new variable of %WIFIORS. This stands for the ‘original state of wifi’ when the task began and populates using the previously created %WIFIOC variable. The purpose of this is to make sure that once the task has finished it does not turn off wifi if you were in the middle of using it – it will return wifi to the state it was when the task started – clever hey?

Next it uses the third party Locale Execute Plug-in. Locale will be executing commands that will create and record a logcat file for you for the duration of your sync. The purpose of this is so you can review the logcat file and determine what applications are syncing and pulling data. I’ll discuss this further shortly. LOGCAT ACTIONS REMOVED IN LATER VERSIONS DUE TO ERRORS.

The task continues by turning on wifi (if it is already on nothing will change) and waiting to see if it connects to a preferred network by checking the value of the variable %WIFIOC. If a wifi connection is established, it skips to turning on automatic syncing (settings/accounts and sync to view what will sync), if it isn’t, it turns wifi off and uses your phone’s data connection until either eventuality ends up at action 16 where wifi is requested to switch off IF it was off when the task began using the value of %WIFIORS (clever hey).

Mobile Data (added in V4)

Due to popular demand, the context of mobile data has been added as a profile and then to the tasks. Limitations allow the task only to tell if the mobile data is on, it cannot tell if your preferences are 2g only for example. The variable %MOBORS acts in the same way as %WIFIORS above and will not switch off the mobile data connection if it was on at the beginning of AutoSync. As standard, the profiles assume that your device was set to 2g only to preserve battery. The tasks therefore look to return the device to this state. If you always use 3g preferred, you will need to remove these entries.

Finally, logcat commands are run and files are created, renamed with date and time stamp, moved and zipped up for your future perusal.. *LOGCAT ACTIONS REMOVED IN LATER VERSIONS* The task STOPS if %WIFIORS tells tasker that wifi was on originally or it continues on to switch to 2g only and kill the mobile data connection (these wouldn’t have been activated if wifi had connected or already been on).

So there you have it… Full wifi control and full sync management, with not a single byte of data or rouge connection in sight… You are free to switch off your wifi, data connection, uncheck auto-sync (settings/accounts and sync) and go to 2g only. Tick the profile boxes, hit apply and it’s job done.

Don't forget to set all of your applications and widgets etc that will be syncing to just below the AutoSync repeat time!

Give me your feedback please folks and don’t forget the thanks meter! – At the moment I feel very unappreciated :(

What do I do with the logcat file? *THESE HAVE NOW BEEN REMOVED*

The logcat files are zipped up and stored in the /tasker folder on your sd card. Looking through these will alert you to any unexpected processes that are requesting to send/receive data. These may be applications you don’t use any more and therefore could be uninstalled or archived (archiving can be achieved with applications such as Bloat Freezer).

Another reason I have stored the logcat is so Tasker could read it and therefore confirm which of your applications have successfully synced, or alert you to failures. This is effort to design and I will only go on to do this by popular demand. In addition, Tasker could be used to kill the rouge processes that are lining up to sync, but are unnecessary… Again, you tell me…

What’s next?

Over to you! Please give me your suggestions. These profiles were set up to suit my individual usage and it may be that most of you focus on your mobile data connection management rather than wifi? Don’t be afraid to post and let me know.

Credits

Unknown for zip file profile
Bdanders for wifi variable inspiration

Last edited:

brandall

May 16, 2008
Birmingham
Conclusion

Knowing my phone can remain in deep sleep between syncing times with all data connections switched off has got to be good for battery life? If I ever stop fiddling with my phone for long enough, I'll let you know!

Let me know your feedback please folks, inconsistencies, errors, I’m all ears.

FAQ

Q) I didn't understand the %WIFIPREF variables and how and where I add in my own %WIFIWORK ones etc? Help!
A) A wrote an additional tutorial on how to do this and why here

Q) These profiles always turn my phone to 2g only. I like to use 3g preferred - what do I do??
A) Remove action #21 in the task AutoSync

Q) I don't always want my data connection to be turned off after I sync & I want to leave wifi on if connected to a preferred network.
A) See this post for ideas - credit Nacrul

Q) I don't want to switch between 2g/3g and how do I keep mobile data connections to their original state so I don't disconnect?
A) See this post for ideas - credit lodder

Q) I have many other Tasker questions, can I post them here??
A) To avoid clutter, probably best to use this official Google group

Q) Where can I learn more about Tasker?
A) The manual and Profiles and step-throughs on the Tasker wiki and you’ll be up to speed in no time.

Change Log

Code:
The profiles and tasks include a lot of 'wait' times. These can be reduced to therefore reduce the time you are syncing and the profile is active. They are set to thresholds that ensure enough time is given to each task - you can adjust these manually depending on your device's performance and testing experience. 

[B][U]V2[/U][/B]
Additional wait times added to allow data connection more time after switching from 2g to 3g
Added additional example of [B]%WIFIWORK [/B]
[B]%WIFIWORK [/B]& [B]%WIFIHOME[/B] are reverted correctly to a value of 1 in the exit task
Unneeded split variables cleared for good housekeeping - credit Nacrul
Voice-overs removed (if you want to check your variables are assigning correct, add a pop up or speech anywhere!).
Adjusted positions of data connection to prevent lag.
Added time based notifications to show LAST successful sync
New [B]%INCALL[/B] variable added to ensure 2g/3g switch does not happen during calls * 

* The [B]%INCALL[/B] variables are already created in my CPU tutorial [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1018245"]here[/URL]. If you are not running these, then you'll need to create two simple profiles:

[B]DuringCall [/B]- the event is '[B]phone offhook[/B]' and in the task 'variable set' [B]%INCALL[/B] to a value of 2 (2 = call active)
[B]EndCall [/B]- the event is '[B]phone idle[/B]' and in the task 'variable set'' [B]%INCALL[/B] to a value of 1 (1= no call is taking place)

The above will come in handy in many other profiles I'm sure...

[B][U]V3[/U][/B]

[COLOR="Red"]REMOVED ALL LOGCAT ACTIONS

[Should the running task be interrupted, the logcat may continue to be written to /sdcard/taskerlogcat.txt. Please check that this file is not present! If it is, delete it.] [/COLOR]

If you are really interested in the logcat contents to see what your device is up to when it has a data connection, V2 is stable and works well - the above considered. 

Credit (and apologies) for the above - pasteyface 

[B][U]V3.1[/U][/B]

Updated incorrect 'goto' action in the exit task [B]WifiDisVar[/B]. Should have been 'goto' action 7 (not 6). Credit [URL="http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=3311156"]torsrex[/URL]

[COLOR="Red"]Nothing else has changed from V3, so very easy to change for those currently on V3, no need to download and re-install![/COLOR]

[B][U]V4[/U][/B]

Fixed device-asleep notifications
Adding mobile data controls (equivalent to [B]%WIFIOC[/B] and [B]%WIFIORS[/B])
Added WiFi or Data to notifications so you can tell which your device used to sync.
Added Minimalistic Text task for home-screen widget.
Added days of the week as a context
Bugs

'Sync Successful - %TIME' notifications not cancelled when device asleep - Fixed in V4

Future Requests

* Wifi remaining on when certain SSID's detected - I'll write up the instructions for this soon...
* Data connection to remain on if it was on at the beginning of the task - I'm working on it... Added in V4

Last edited:

brandall

May 16, 2008
Birmingham
Installation Instructions

In menu options/profile data 'Import One Task':

WIFIPREFCON.tsk.xml

In menu options/profile data 'Import One Profile':

AutoSync.prf.xml
WIFI-AutoDiscon.prf.xml
WIFI-OnCon.prf.xml
MobileData.prf.xml

The thanks meter lets me know I'm appreciated! :eek:

Last edited:

peswe

May 3, 2010
Questions

Questions:

1)
Does these profiles/tasks work out of the box, or do I have to change them to make them work?

2)
"I am going to assume the phone starts in full battery saving mode and go
from there. "

Is this Auto-set by the profiles?

3)
"Import all the profiles (un-tick them) and tasks and with the relevant
profile and tasks open (it will make a whole lot more sense then),
follow the guide below."

I guess un-tick means deactivate. When should I tick (activate) them again?

4)
"It then sets a variable of %WIFIHOME to the value 2 only IF the name matches that of your home wireless SSID. You can set and add as many of these variables in as you like e.g. %WIFIWORK, %WIFIGIRLFRIENDHOUSE, %WIFIMASSAGEPARLOUR with the IF statement for their respective SSID’s"

Do I have to set SSID manually?

5)
You can set and add as many of these variables in as you like e.g. %WIFIWORK, %WIFIGIRLFRIENDHOUSE, %WIFIMASSAGEPARLOUR with the IF statement for their respective SSID’s.

Where/how can i set up those?

6)
"The logcat files are zipped up and stored in the /tasker folder on your sd card"

I can't find any LogCat file in my /Tasker folder...

7)
"Don't forget to set all of your applications and widgets etc that will be syncing to just below the AutoSync repeat time!"

So if the AutoSync repeat time is set to 30 min, the AppSync time should be <29 min...?

/Peter

brandall

May 16, 2008
Birmingham
Questions:

1)
Does these profiles/tasks work out of the box, or do I have to change them to make them work?

They work straight out of the box. You only need to enter your wifi SSID in place of the SKYXXXXX and adjust the sync times to suit you

2)
from there. "

No. If I had to consider all phone conditions from outset, such as wifi on, wifi off and data on, 3g off etc etc it would have been very complicated. It simply assumes all data connections are off and phone is set to 2g, which is the ideal battery saving state.

3)
follow the guide below."

Once you have made all of the adjustments you see fit (sync time, SKYXXXXX and tested) you can activated them.

4)
"It then sets a variable of %WIFIHOME to the value 2 only IF the name matches that of your home wireless SSID. You can set and add as many of these variables in as you like e.g. %WIFIWORK, %WIFIGIRLFRIENDHOUSE, %WIFIMASSAGEPARLOUR with the IF statement for their respective SSID’s"

In the task WIFIOnConVar a variable is created of %WIFIHOME by matching the SSID with the IF statement.

You can create as many new variables here as you like, such as %WIFIWORK or %WIFICOLLEGE , just put the corresponding SSID in the IF statement. Tasker will look at the IF statement of each and when it finds a match, update the correct %WIFI'LOCATION' to a value of 2 - which means you are there! You can then reference this in other tasks you create - For example when %WIFIWORK = 2, set phone ringing volume to low. In other words, Tasker knows you are at work from the SSID and knows you want your phone to ring quietly when you are there. An exit task could be added so that when you leave, the phone volume increases again....

Get it?

5)
You can set and add as many of these variables in as you like e.g. %WIFIWORK, %WIFIGIRLFRIENDHOUSE, %WIFIMASSAGEPARLOUR with the IF statement for their respective SSID’s.

As above, in the task WIFIOnConVar, same as action 3. Press +, select variable, select variable set, name it %WIFIWORK (for example), 'to' 2, tick 'IF' and enter %WIFIPREF matches your works SSID. ....

6)
"The logcat files are zipped up and stored in the /tasker folder on your sd card"

It won't be created in that location until the profile AutoSync has run.

7)
"Don't forget to set all of your applications and widgets etc that will be syncing to just below the AutoSync repeat time!"

So if the AutoSync repeat time is set to 30 min, the AppSync time should be <29 min...?

Theoretically yes. My point was that your widgets, emails, etc etc should be waiting to sync when a data connection becomes active. If they are set to update every 1.5 hours but your AutoSync profile is set up for 1 hour, then they won't sync correctly every time!

Hope this answers all of your questions?

peswe

May 3, 2010
They work straight out of the box. You only need to enter your wifi SSID in place of the SKYXXXXX and adjust the sync times to suit you

Could you please tell me were to look (Which Profile/Task?)

You can create as many new variables here as you like, such as %WIFIWORK or %WIFICOLLEGE , just put the corresponding SSID in the IF statement. Tasker will look at the IF statement of each and when it finds a match, update the correct %WIFI'LOCATION' to a value of 2 - which means you are there! You can then reference this in other tasks you create - For example when %WIFIWORK = 2, set phone ringing volume to low. In other words, Tasker knows you are at work from the SSID and knows you want your phone to ring quietly when you are there. An exit task could be added so that when you leave, the phone volume increases again....

Get it?

Not really. In this and the next Question I need a full guideline.
If I add a Variable Set for let's say %WIFIWORK. Then I suppose it must have an corresponding Variable Set in the WIFI-OnCon<=Exit Task like %WIFIWORK To 1, and that affects the Goto Action 7 (in the first line).

A little step-by-step info about how to add multiple SSIDs would be nice.

As above, in the task WIFIOnConVar, same as action 3. Press +, select variable, select variable set, name it %WIFIWORK (for example), 'to' 2, tick 'IF' and enter %WIFIPREF matches your works SSID. ....

Last edited:
Reactions: iPAQ 6515a User

brandall

May 16, 2008
Birmingham

Not really. In this and the next Question I need a full guideline.
If I add a Variable Set for let's say %WIFIWORK. Then I suppose it must have an corresponding Variable Set in the WIFI-OnCon<=Exit Task like %WIFIWORK To 1, and that affects the Goto Action 7 (in the first line).

Yes, your understanding is correct! I know this can get a little confusing, but having these %WIFI'location' variables created can really come in handy in other profiles. In the next post I'll type a detailed explanation and update the FAQ so others can follow.

Reactions: ttamirt

brandall

May 16, 2008
Birmingham
Creating location based wifi variables

A little tutorial for you:

In the task WIFIOnConVar the first action is to run a separate task called WIFIPREFCON (standing for 'wifi is connected to a preferred network'). To view its actions, click on tasks on the main Tasker page and scroll down to select WIFIPREFCON.

You'll see that it uses the inbuilt 'wifi information' variable (%WIFII) and writes the information it contains to a text file called wifii.txt on the route of your storage card. Make sure you are connected to a wireless network and press the 'test' button. The file will then be created and you can use your file explorer to view its contents.

The only information we require from this text file is the SSID (the public name of your wireless network). In the task WIFIPREFCON, the next step is to extract ONLY that, by 'splitting' (using variable split) the text file before and then after the SSID. This snips out the SSID and writes it to a new variable we create called %WIFIPREF.

So, at this point, when wifi is on and you are connected to a network, the SSID of that network will be contained in the variable %WIFIPREF. Back over in the task of WIFIOnConVar, tasker is setting the variable of %WIFIOC (on & connected) to a value of 2. (1=not connected 2=connected 3=recently disconnected). Our newly created %WIFIPREF variable contains the SSID name of your current connection. The next action is to set a variable that it matches. A variable is only set to a value of 2 (2=connected) >>IF<< the SSID name stored in %WIFIPREF matches the SSID you enter in the IF statement.

For example, my home SSID is SKY12345, so if I was creating the action from scratch +,variable, varible set, name = %WIFIHOME, To 2 , IF %WIFIPREF ~ (matches) SKY12345. You should add in ALL of your frequently used preferred networks in the same way:

name = %WIFIWORK, To 2 (connected), IF %WIFIPREF ~ (matches) Linkys12345.
name = %WIFIPARENTS, To 2 (connected), IF %WIFIPREF ~ (matches) BT-HomeHuB12345.
name = %WIFIGIRLFRIENDSHOUSE, To 2 (connected), IF %WIFIPREF ~ (matches) VIGIN54321.

This way Tasker can always determine where you are if you are connected to a preferred wireless network.

Why is this useful though? There are many profiles kicking around that use GPS or cell tower location so Tasker can estiblish your location. Such profiles can be battery intensive, so avoiding using them would be a bonus whenever possible.

Let's use a scenario:

You are at your girlfriend's house and your last AutoSync used her wireless network. Tasker will know that you are there because %WIFIPREF found her SSID, saw it matched the IF statement in %WIFIGIRLFRIENDSHOUSE and updated the value to 2 (connected). Imagine you are cheating on her and you set up a profile that activates when you are at your girlfriend's house (%WIFIGIRLFRIENDSHOUSE=2). The CheatingProfile reacting to %WIFIGIRLFRIENDSHOUE being updated to a value of 2, diverts all calls from your other girlfriend directly to voicemail, changes the text message recieved profile for just her to silent, copies the text message to a zip folder on the SD card and deletes her message from the inbox, before automatically reply to her saying "stuck in traffic, no hands free, battery low, catch you later princess, love you enternally xxx" Get it?

Another one:

You are at work. When you are at work you use your PC to check your emails and therefore to preserve battery you want to change your AutoSync shedule to 3 hours apart. This can be activated when Tasker sees that %WIFIWORK has been updated to a value of 2. It could also lower you ring tone volume and change it to something more business-like. Really pushing the boundaries it could read your calendar, check when you're next entry label is set to 'busy', read the location information within the entry, check the distance using an HTTP GET command for directions and load up sat Nav for you 5 minutes before the time it's read from google maps you would have to leave the office to get there! Not forgetting to change your AutoSync back to its normally interval. Oh and in your rush to leave, if you forget to turn off wifi, don't worry though, the profile WIFI-AutoDiscon will do it for you in one minutes time ;)

Yes, with Tasker, the possibilities are endless, I just wish it could actually get me a girlfriend, let alone 2! :rolleyes:

I really hope that's helped you understand how having location variables ready to use can assist you further in whatever profiles you choose to create.

Don't forget, that for every new location variable you set in WIFIOnConVar you will need to add the equalivalent entry into the exit task. An example is already in there under %WIFIHOME being set back to a value of 1 (disconnected). And finally, don't forget to change the first GoTO action so it points to the correction action after STOP.

I've just realised, that they also need to be added in to change the values to 1 in the profile WIFI-AutoDiscon - Oops! I'll do that in version 2.

Credit peswe for making me realise this!

Any questions, let me know...

brandall

May 16, 2008
Birmingham
hmmm... Not much interest so far!?

Version 2 out after the weekend - Mainly to prevent 2g/3g switching during a call! Oops... :eek:

Any feedback as yet, or suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions: ttamirt

crachel

Retired Senior Moderator
Jul 13, 2008
Texas
brandall, I've subscribed and am interested, I'm just gonna have to try and find some time this weekend to read all of this and see about implementing. I will and will report back

crachel

Retired Senior Moderator
Jul 13, 2008
Texas
I just read through a bit and one thing I noticed:

Above, we set the variable of wifi on and connected (%WIFIOC) to a value of 3 when the state became ON but NOT connected.

This is one of my problems with Android, it can take up to 10 minutes before it realizes that you are out of range of your access point.

For instance, I'm at work with WiFi connected, I put phone in pocket and get in my car for the 10 minute ride home. Tasker is supposed to switch Bluetooth/GPS on for me when Wifi is disconnected. Well, my car's Bluetooth device won't pick the phone up sometimes until I'm pulling into my driveway, because Android is still thinking I'm connected to work Wifi and I'm 5 miles away! This happens on AOSP and OTA and on 2 separate phones, the EXACT behavior. The phone should more aggressively switch from WiFi to 3G.. meaning when I step outside from Work, and I am definitely out of range, it shouldn't require me to wake the phone up so it checks "oh yeah, no WiFi lets switch"

I can improve the behavior a bit by using "Wifi connected" profiles in conjunction with "Cell near" stuff , but that only marginally improves the time and eats more battery..

The bottom line here is Android's WiFi management has some problems and you're stuck with leaving it on all the time or manually managing it

brandall

May 16, 2008
Birmingham
I have juicedefender ultimate and it does all this automatically. Still, kudos to you for the write-up.

Thanks for the kudos!

Agreed on juicedefender - it's just something about Tasker that makes me want to use it instead of other applications by replicating what they do... It gets pretty addictive! My next tutorial is how to use it as a task manager and they are ten a penny on the market!

It's just the complete flexibility that Tasker provides, the things you'd love to tweak and adjust on other applications, with Tasker you can...

brandall

May 16, 2008
Birmingham
Just tested the profiles.
Seems to work so far, but got a question:
Do you need the WIFII1, WIFII2... variables later again? If not you can clean up the variables in the next version ;)
Combined with my homeprofile this setup may replace the my old one

I think you are talking about WIFII2 and WIFI21 in the task WIFIPREFCON?

They are splitting the information contained in the variable %WIFII, which unfortunately doesn't just show the SSID - we have to extract it by showing Tasker where to start reading and where to stop <-- the stop is set by WIFII2 and the output is sent to %WIFII21 = SSID

If you have a look at the text file on your storage card/wifi.txt you'll see what %WIFII originally contained and why it needs dissecting.

That process can be removed if you don't find the SSID useful - but if you read post 8 here, I hope you can see how they are very handy!

Let me know if I didn't answer the right question!

brandall

May 16, 2008
Birmingham
This is one of my problems with Android, it can take up to 10 minutes before it realizes that you are out of range of your access point.

For instance, I'm at work with WiFi connected, I put phone in pocket and get in my car for the 10 minute ride home. Tasker is supposed to switch Bluetooth/GPS on for me when Wifi is disconnected. Well, my car's Bluetooth device won't pick the phone up sometimes until I'm pulling into my driveway, because Android is still thinking I'm connected to work Wifi and I'm 5 miles away! This happens on AOSP and OTA and on 2 separate phones, the EXACT behavior. The phone should more aggressively switch from WiFi to 3G.. meaning when I step outside from Work, and I am definitely out of range, it shouldn't require me to wake the phone up so it checks "oh yeah, no WiFi lets switch"

I can improve the behavior a bit by using "Wifi connected" profiles in conjunction with "Cell near" stuff , but that only marginally improves the time and eats more battery..

The bottom line here is Android's WiFi management has some problems and you're stuck with leaving it on all the time or manually managing it

I'm sure you are correct crachel, but I have to say this is not my experience... I don't know why that would be though?

I've tested the WIFI-AutoDiscon in different ways, in different places and each time (even with the phone sleeping and speech updating me of the state) it shuts wifi down in around 1 minute.

Have you looked in the preferences in Tasker and looked what your display on and off settings are? I'm sure you are aware they will eat your battery if reduced dramatically.

None of my profiles are location based and therefore do not rely on these settings. Try them! It should kill wifi in one minute (less if you reduce the wait time).... Whatever you set the interval to in AutoSync is the longest it will take Tasker to realise where you are, as long as you've added in the SSID as detailed here, you can kick off other profiles such as 'work' or 'home' using the created variable %WIFIPREF

The times you normally arrive at work or back home you could have Tasker syncing every 5 minutes to pick this up quicker and then 1 hour at other times...?

You may know all of the above (it's hard to know what level people are at with Tasker), but regardless I hope they help and please let me know your feedback or ideas!

Im using this variable too, but i delete the unused variables after extracting the SSID. I check sometimes all variables in use with flash all variables and the splitted variable needs too much space for me of not needed. (And also better programming style to delete variables u dont need anymore i think)

Reactions: brandall

brandall

May 16, 2008
Birmingham
Im using this variable too, but i delete the unused variables after extracting the SSID. I check sometimes all variables in use with flash all variables and the splitted variable needs too much space for me of not needed. (And also better programming style to delete variables u dont need anymore i think)

Thanks for this Nacrul - I can understand clearing the variables is good 'house-keeping', but I didn't consider that not clearing them would take up resource. I've just tested this and indeed the variables %WIFII2 and %WIFII21 contain unnecessary data and clearing them does not affect the content of %WIFIPREF which was my concern.

I'll update this in the next release! (and look over all of my previous profiles!). Thanks again.

ps. 'flash variables' - I always 'speak' them - do you have an alternative method to quickly show their content??

brandall

May 16, 2008
Birmingham
V2 Up

V2

Additional wait times added to allow data connection more time after switching from 2g to 3g
Added additional example of %WIFIWORK
%WIFIWORK & %WIFIHOME are reverted correctly to a value of 1 in the exit task
Unneeded split variables cleared for good housekeeping
Voice-overs removed (if you want to check your variables are assigning correct, add a pop up or speech anywhere!).
New %INCALL variable added to ensure 2g/3g switch does not happen during calls **.

* The %INCALL variables are already created in my CPU tutorial here. If you are not running these, then you'll need to create two simple profiles:

DuringCall - the event is 'phone offhook' and in the task 'variable set' %INCALL to a value of 2 (2 = call active)
EndCall - the event is 'phone idle' and in the task 'variable set'' %INCALL to a value of 1 (1= no call is taking place)

--------

Feedback needed as always please!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Installation Instructions

In menu options/profile data 'Import One Task':

WIFIPREFCON.tsk.xml

In menu options/profile data 'Import One Profile':

AutoSync.prf.xml
    WIFI-AutoDiscon.prf.xml
    WIFI-OnCon.prf.xml
    MobileData.prf.xml

The thanks meter lets me know I'm appreciated! :eek:

Assuming your device is already very battery efficient because you are using my CPU profiles from here, next up is controlling your data connections and syncing schedule.

New to Tasker? Call yourself a geek?! Delete your XDA account immediately or get a free trial from here

The Theory

In order, the most important things in my life are as follows:

1) Preserving my phone’s battery life.
    2) Sexually satisfying my girlfriend.

As you can see, it’s pretty important for me that I can get through a couple of days with medium usage without having a panic attack about the distance I am from my charger. Download my DistanceFromCharger profile here (just kidding).

So, I looked at my data connections and their battery usage when my scheduled once hourly sync of widgets, emails, facebook, twitter, rss etc etc took place. Without extensive testing, it became clear that these synchronisations became misaligned from the hourly slot due to data quantity, connection time/errors etc etc. Over time, it is therefore theoretically possible to have 10 applications/widgets/processes causing a data sync separately every six minutes (60 mins/10) and although some might say that the total data volume may be the same overall, the act of using the data connection so many more times tells me it will use more battery life. Do you concur?

Even if you don’t (liar!), the following Tasker profiles are to completely manage your wireless connectivity and prevent syncing of unwanted applications at misaligned times.

The Practice

My phone starts its day set to 2g networks only, data connection off, wireless off, screen brightness set so low I need there to be solar eclipse for me to see it and all system volumes set to only alert nearby dogs that I have a text message – all naturally for maximum battery preservation. Depending on the day, my location, calendar entries etc Tasker selects a relevant profile for me to use.

For the benefit of the profiles below, I am going to assume the phone starts in full battery saving mode and go from there. Once you’re up to speed with the flow of the profiles, you can adjust them accordingly to suit your usage.

Firstly, I learnt pretty recently that a wireless connection actually uses less battery than 3g (yes, honestly) and therefore whenever I sync data, I look to use wireless first. For those with constricting data plans, I’m assuming this suits you too?

Wireless states to consider:

On
    Off
    On and connected to a preferred network
    On and connected to an open network
    On but not connected to a network
    On and recently disconnected from a network

I think that just about covers it?

Download and install Locale Execute Plug-in free from the market here. Import all the profiles (un-tick them) and tasks and with the relevant profile and tasks open (it will make a whole lot more sense then), follow the guide below.

Before we can look at the syncing profile itself, we need to set up some variables for the above first. For battery preservation, I couldn’t have an individual profile for each of the above, as many of them would be active at the same time and constantly on - After a lot of head scratching (and I mean a lot) I came up with the profile WIFI-OnCon let’s have a look at it:

We start with the state of ‘Wifi Connected’. This state means wifi is connected to a network (rather than just ‘on’). The task WifiOnConVar firstly runs a separate task WIFIPREFCON.

WIFIPREFCON writes a text file containing the standard wifi info variable %WIFII (you can take a look at the output file for your information). The next step is to extract just the SSID from the file so Tasker can set this as a variable %WIFIPREF (short for a wifi preferred network). The task ends with speech for you to test the variable has been set correctly (make sure you are connected to a network at the time).

Next, WifiOnConVar sets a variable %WIFIOC (standing for wifi on and connected) to a value of 2. It then sets a variable of %WIFIHOME to the value 2 only IF the name matches that of your home wireless SSID. You can set and add as many of these variables in as you like e.g. %WIFIWORK, %WIFIGIRLFRIENDHOUSE, %WIFIMASSAGEPARLOUR with the IF statement for their respective SSID’s. Setting up these variables is very useful to let Tasker determine your location for use in other profiles, without the need of running GPS or cell tower location profiles (yes, I’m a genius).

Ok, so at the moment, Tasker knows wifi is on and connected (%WIFIOC set to value 2) and you are at home (%WIFIHOME set to your home SSID) (assuming you are testing this at home). A speech task confirms the variables are set.

The next state to consider is when wifi is no longer BOTH on AND connected. We do this in the exit task – the exit task starting when the state of on and connected is no longer true. Firstly it checks if wifi is still on, if it is (goto action 7), it sets the variable %WIFIOC to a value of 3 (another profile reads this shortly) and then clears the name of the preferred network in %WIFIPREF as of course, that cannot be connected anymore…

If the wifi is off, it sets the variable %WIFIHOME to the value 1 and if you have added multiple preferred network variables (%WIFIWORK etc), you should insert that it sets these to a value of 1 too. A speech action confirms the values for your testing purposes (remember, if you delete the speech when you are happy it is working properly, you’ll need to change the Goto Action number accordingly!), the variable %WIFIPREF is cleared as of course you cannot be connected to a preferred network anymore and the task STOPs.

Finally, to complete the wifi control, we need to deal with the wireless still being on, but out of range of a preferred network (that you were connected to). This is definitely a chance to save some battery life, as we’ve all left wifi on by accident when we are not going to be using it. Above, we set the variable of wifi on and connected (%WIFIOC) to a value of 3 when the state became ON but NOT connected. The profile of WIFI-AutoDiscon is set up to come to life when %WIFIOC is set to a value of 3. It activates the task to start a one minute countdown before checking on the wifi state again. This one minute wait allows time where you may have been in a black spot in your office or home and experienced a short disconnection. At the end of the minute, it checks that the value of %WIFIOC has not been changed back to 2 (it has reconnected to a preferred network) and then switches off wifi with your battery giving you a high-5.

That concludes the wireless management. The only missing eventualities are:

On and connected to an open network. (I have little use for this, but can’t sort something out if the demand is high enough).

On and not connected to a network. Not having a profile for this may surprise you, but in actually fact, how often do you turn wireless on when you are not around a preferred network and just leave it? The only reason you would surely do this, is if you were scanning for open networks, in which case a battery saving profile is pretty irrelevant to the scenario. Remember, the state of on and not connected to a network when you were previously connected IS covered, the %WIFIOC variable 3 and the WIFI-AutoDiscon profile monitors this. Happy?

If not, set up a new profile with the state of wifi connected and click ‘invert’ – but this of course will be active when you’re not even using wifi at all…

Taking control of your data syncing

The profile AutoSync is of course time activated, as you would set up your normal ‘between hours’ for email synchronisation. The repeat value sets how often you would like to sync your emails, widgets, applications, weather updates etc etc, by simply restricting their access to an active data connection in-between-times.

The task of AutoSync itself, firstly checks your battery is above a chosen threshold (you decide) to perform the action and that it’s not the weekend (if you want). Again, once you get to grips with the task flow, you can add in separate entries for individual applications, actions etc based on an individual setting – not syncing your work email on the weekend for example.

Action 4 sets a new variable of %WIFIORS. This stands for the ‘original state of wifi’ when the task began and populates using the previously created %WIFIOC variable. The purpose of this is to make sure that once the task has finished it does not turn off wifi if you were in the middle of using it – it will return wifi to the state it was when the task started – clever hey?

Next it uses the third party Locale Execute Plug-in. Locale will be executing commands that will create and record a logcat file for you for the duration of your sync. The purpose of this is so you can review the logcat file and determine what applications are syncing and pulling data. I’ll discuss this further shortly. LOGCAT ACTIONS REMOVED IN LATER VERSIONS DUE TO ERRORS.

The task continues by turning on wifi (if it is already on nothing will change) and waiting to see if it connects to a preferred network by checking the value of the variable %WIFIOC. If a wifi connection is established, it skips to turning on automatic syncing (settings/accounts and sync to view what will sync), if it isn’t, it turns wifi off and uses your phone’s data connection until either eventuality ends up at action 16 where wifi is requested to switch off IF it was off when the task began using the value of %WIFIORS (clever hey).

Mobile Data (added in V4)

Due to popular demand, the context of mobile data has been added as a profile and then to the tasks. Limitations allow the task only to tell if the mobile data is on, it cannot tell if your preferences are 2g only for example. The variable %MOBORS acts in the same way as %WIFIORS above and will not switch off the mobile data connection if it was on at the beginning of AutoSync. As standard, the profiles assume that your device was set to 2g only to preserve battery. The tasks therefore look to return the device to this state. If you always use 3g preferred, you will need to remove these entries.

Finally, logcat commands are run and files are created, renamed with date and time stamp, moved and zipped up for your future perusal.. *LOGCAT ACTIONS REMOVED IN LATER VERSIONS* The task STOPS if %WIFIORS tells tasker that wifi was on originally or it continues on to switch to 2g only and kill the mobile data connection (these wouldn’t have been activated if wifi had connected or already been on).

So there you have it… Full wifi control and full sync management, with not a single byte of data or rouge connection in sight… You are free to switch off your wifi, data connection, uncheck auto-sync (settings/accounts and sync) and go to 2g only. Tick the profile boxes, hit apply and it’s job done.

Don't forget to set all of your applications and widgets etc that will be syncing to just below the AutoSync repeat time!

Give me your feedback please folks and don’t forget the thanks meter! – At the moment I feel very unappreciated :(

What do I do with the logcat file? *THESE HAVE NOW BEEN REMOVED*

The logcat files are zipped up and stored in the /tasker folder on your sd card. Looking through these will alert you to any unexpected processes that are requesting to send/receive data. These may be applications you don’t use any more and therefore could be uninstalled or archived (archiving can be achieved with applications such as Bloat Freezer).

Another reason I have stored the logcat is so Tasker could read it and therefore confirm which of your applications have successfully synced, or alert you to failures. This is effort to design and I will only go on to do this by popular demand. In addition, Tasker could be used to kill the rouge processes that are lining up to sync, but are unnecessary… Again, you tell me…

What’s next?

Over to you! Please give me your suggestions. These profiles were set up to suit my individual usage and it may be that most of you focus on your mobile data connection management rather than wifi? Don’t be afraid to post and let me know.

Credits

Unknown for zip file profile
    Bdanders for wifi variable inspiration
    Conclusion

Knowing my phone can remain in deep sleep between syncing times with all data connections switched off has got to be good for battery life? If I ever stop fiddling with my phone for long enough, I'll let you know!

Let me know your feedback please folks, inconsistencies, errors, I’m all ears.

FAQ

Q) I didn't understand the %WIFIPREF variables and how and where I add in my own %WIFIWORK ones etc? Help!
    A) A wrote an additional tutorial on how to do this and why here

Q) These profiles always turn my phone to 2g only. I like to use 3g preferred - what do I do??
    A) Remove action #21 in the task AutoSync

Q) I don't always want my data connection to be turned off after I sync & I want to leave wifi on if connected to a preferred network.
    A) See this post for ideas - credit Nacrul

Q) I don't want to switch between 2g/3g and how do I keep mobile data connections to their original state so I don't disconnect?
    A) See this post for ideas - credit lodder

Q) I have many other Tasker questions, can I post them here??
    A) To avoid clutter, probably best to use this official Google group

Q) Where can I learn more about Tasker?
    A) The manual and Profiles and step-throughs on the Tasker wiki and you’ll be up to speed in no time.

Change Log

Code:
    The profiles and tasks include a lot of 'wait' times. These can be reduced to therefore reduce the time you are syncing and the profile is active. They are set to thresholds that ensure enough time is given to each task - you can adjust these manually depending on your device's performance and testing experience. 

[B][U]V2[/U][/B]
    Added additional example of [B]%WIFIWORK [/B]
    [B]%WIFIWORK [/B]& [B]%WIFIHOME[/B] are reverted correctly to a value of 1 in the exit task
    Unneeded split variables cleared for good housekeeping - credit Nacrul
    New [B]%INCALL[/B] variable added to ensure 2g/3g switch does not happen during calls * 

* The [B]%INCALL[/B] variables are already created in my CPU tutorial [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1018245"]here[/URL]. If you are not running these, then you'll need to create two simple profiles:

[B]DuringCall [/B]- the event is '[B]phone offhook[/B]' and in the task 'variable set' [B]%INCALL[/B] to a value of 2 (2 = call active)
    [B]EndCall [/B]- the event is '[B]phone idle[/B]' and in the task 'variable set'' [B]%INCALL[/B] to a value of 1 (1= no call is taking place)

[B][U]V3[/U][/B]

[COLOR="Red"]REMOVED ALL LOGCAT ACTIONS

[Should the running task be interrupted, the logcat may continue to be written to /sdcard/taskerlogcat.txt. Please check that this file is not present! If it is, delete it.] [/COLOR]

If you are really interested in the logcat contents to see what your device is up to when it has a data connection, V2 is stable and works well - the above considered. 

Credit (and apologies) for the above - pasteyface 

[B][U]V3.1[/U][/B]

Updated incorrect 'goto' action in the exit task [B]WifiDisVar[/B]. Should have been 'goto' action 7 (not 6). Credit [URL="http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=3311156"]torsrex[/URL]

[COLOR="Red"]Nothing else has changed from V3, so very easy to change for those currently on V3, no need to download and re-install![/COLOR]

[B][U]V4[/U][/B]

Fixed device-asleep notifications
    Adding mobile data controls (equivalent to [B]%WIFIOC[/B] and [B]%WIFIORS[/B])
    Added WiFi or Data to notifications so you can tell which your device used to sync.
    Added Minimalistic Text task for home-screen widget.
    Added days of the week as a context
    Bugs

'Sync Successful - %TIME' notifications not cancelled when device asleep - Fixed in V4

Future Requests

* Wifi remaining on when certain SSID's detected - I'll write up the instructions for this soon...
    * Data connection to remain on if it was on at the beginning of the task - I'm working on it... Added in V4
    Questions:

1)

2)
    from there. "

No. If I had to consider all phone conditions from outset, such as wifi on, wifi off and data on, 3g off etc etc it would have been very complicated. It simply assumes all data connections are off and phone is set to 2g, which is the ideal battery saving state.

3)
    follow the guide below."

Once you have made all of the adjustments you see fit (sync time, SKYXXXXX and tested) you can activated them.

4)

In the task WIFIOnConVar a variable is created of %WIFIHOME by matching the SSID with the IF statement.

Get it?

5)

6)

It won't be created in that location until the profile AutoSync has run.

7)

Theoretically yes. My point was that your widgets, emails, etc etc should be waiting to sync when a data connection becomes active. If they are set to update every 1.5 hours but your AutoSync profile is set up for 1 hour, then they won't sync correctly every time!

Hope this answers all of your questions?
    Creating location based wifi variables

A little tutorial for you:

In the task WIFIOnConVar the first action is to run a separate task called WIFIPREFCON (standing for 'wifi is connected to a preferred network'). To view its actions, click on tasks on the main Tasker page and scroll down to select WIFIPREFCON.

You'll see that it uses the inbuilt 'wifi information' variable (%WIFII) and writes the information it contains to a text file called wifii.txt on the route of your storage card. Make sure you are connected to a wireless network and press the 'test' button. The file will then be created and you can use your file explorer to view its contents.

The only information we require from this text file is the SSID (the public name of your wireless network). In the task WIFIPREFCON, the next step is to extract ONLY that, by 'splitting' (using variable split) the text file before and then after the SSID. This snips out the SSID and writes it to a new variable we create called %WIFIPREF.

So, at this point, when wifi is on and you are connected to a network, the SSID of that network will be contained in the variable %WIFIPREF. Back over in the task of WIFIOnConVar, tasker is setting the variable of %WIFIOC (on & connected) to a value of 2. (1=not connected 2=connected 3=recently disconnected). Our newly created %WIFIPREF variable contains the SSID name of your current connection. The next action is to set a variable that it matches. A variable is only set to a value of 2 (2=connected) >>IF<< the SSID name stored in %WIFIPREF matches the SSID you enter in the IF statement.

For example, my home SSID is SKY12345, so if I was creating the action from scratch +,variable, varible set, name = %WIFIHOME, To 2 , IF %WIFIPREF ~ (matches) SKY12345. You should add in ALL of your frequently used preferred networks in the same way:

name = %WIFIWORK, To 2 (connected), IF %WIFIPREF ~ (matches) Linkys12345.
    name = %WIFIPARENTS, To 2 (connected), IF %WIFIPREF ~ (matches) BT-HomeHuB12345.
    name = %WIFIGIRLFRIENDSHOUSE, To 2 (connected), IF %WIFIPREF ~ (matches) VIGIN54321.

This way Tasker can always determine where you are if you are connected to a preferred wireless network.

Why is this useful though? There are many profiles kicking around that use GPS or cell tower location so Tasker can estiblish your location. Such profiles can be battery intensive, so avoiding using them would be a bonus whenever possible.

Let's use a scenario:

You are at your girlfriend's house and your last AutoSync used her wireless network. Tasker will know that you are there because %WIFIPREF found her SSID, saw it matched the IF statement in %WIFIGIRLFRIENDSHOUSE and updated the value to 2 (connected). Imagine you are cheating on her and you set up a profile that activates when you are at your girlfriend's house (%WIFIGIRLFRIENDSHOUSE=2). The CheatingProfile reacting to %WIFIGIRLFRIENDSHOUE being updated to a value of 2, diverts all calls from your other girlfriend directly to voicemail, changes the text message recieved profile for just her to silent, copies the text message to a zip folder on the SD card and deletes her message from the inbox, before automatically reply to her saying "stuck in traffic, no hands free, battery low, catch you later princess, love you enternally xxx" Get it?

Another one:

You are at work. When you are at work you use your PC to check your emails and therefore to preserve battery you want to change your AutoSync shedule to 3 hours apart. This can be activated when Tasker sees that %WIFIWORK has been updated to a value of 2. It could also lower you ring tone volume and change it to something more business-like. Really pushing the boundaries it could read your calendar, check when you're next entry label is set to 'busy', read the location information within the entry, check the distance using an HTTP GET command for directions and load up sat Nav for you 5 minutes before the time it's read from google maps you would have to leave the office to get there! Not forgetting to change your AutoSync back to its normally interval. Oh and in your rush to leave, if you forget to turn off wifi, don't worry though, the profile WIFI-AutoDiscon will do it for you in one minutes time ;)

Yes, with Tasker, the possibilities are endless, I just wish it could actually get me a girlfriend, let alone 2! :rolleyes:

I really hope that's helped you understand how having location variables ready to use can assist you further in whatever profiles you choose to create.

Don't forget, that for every new location variable you set in WIFIOnConVar you will need to add the equalivalent entry into the exit task. An example is already in there under %WIFIHOME being set back to a value of 1 (disconnected). And finally, don't forget to change the first GoTO action so it points to the correction action after STOP.

I've just realised, that they also need to be added in to change the values to 1 in the profile WIFI-AutoDiscon - Oops! I'll do that in version 2.

Credit peswe for making me realise this!

Any questions, let me know...