[ROM] pffmod Revoke permissions & Privacy mode

Search This thread

username666

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 10, 2009
Long time no see. :)

Any way there is a new build this one is based on the latest and greatest from CM 7.1. the download link is below.

Spoofed permissions:
  • READ_PHONE_STATE - You can now make your device return spoofed data from the methods protected with READ_PHONE_STATE permission. There is a demo app
    chart
    you can use to see the effect of spoofing and revoking READ_PHONE_STATE permission. Run the app revoke or spoof run the app again.

Since majority of time spend on READ_PHONE_STATE spoofing was about laying the needed infrastructure for spoofing in general, expect new spoofed permissions shortly.

ROM info:
  • This is a preview build bases on CM7 nightly builds. Some things may not work some features may be missing.
  • Some applications may not work properly with revoked permissions.
  • You can revoke permission of SYSTEM applications!!! DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.. However reboot resets the permissions of the system applications so you probably can recover.
  • If an application is running changing some permissions like say INTERNET will not be fully applied until the application is restarted.
  • If you come from CM7 nightly or CM7 RCx you probably don't need to wipe. I something is not working do a wipe.
  • Google apps are not included. You need to download them separately and flash them right after the ROM.
  • It will probably require ClockworkMod 3.x to flash properly.
  • You uses it at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible for the consequences.

Some technical stuff:
If an application checks for its permissions it will appear that all required permissions are granted. This is done to keep some ad networks code happy. As far as I've tested this is safe since the permission check is done at the remote end of the call when protected method is invoked. Please report your findings.

Screen shot:

device.png

This is the extended Manage application screen.​

Download:

update-pffmod-7.1.0-Desire-KANG-signed.zip
chart

old builds:
direct link: update-pffmod-0.9.1-Desire-DEV-20110418-signed.zip storage provided by: http://onlinestoragesolution.com
direct link: update-pffmod-0.9.0-DESIRE-DEV-20110328-signed.zip storage provided by: http://onlinestoragesolution.com

Last edited:
Reactions: JDima

JDima

Aug 28, 2009
Swapping real IDs for the word "spoofed" is quite obvious, and, IMHO, might cause problems if an application stores it as an integer value. Why don't you just return random numbers?

username666

Sep 10, 2009
I'm working on something that will generate plausible data from the calling app package name. I'm just too impatient and decided to release it early. :eek:

The other thing is that it's bean too long since the last release :)

JDima

Aug 28, 2009
And a final request. Please do something with the usability :) Maybe a dropbox underneath each of the permissions. Best if colored - red for "revoked", yellow for "spoofed" and "granted" without highlighting. Currently, a brief view at the list of permissions totally misses their states.
Yes, I do understand the engine is far more important than bells&whistles, but as for me, the mod is quite ready for everyday use, and I'd be happy to see it more user-faced.

username666

Sep 10, 2009
And a final request. Please do something with the usability :) Maybe a dropbox underneath each of the permissions. Best if colored - red for "revoked", yellow for "spoofed" and "granted" without highlighting. Currently, a brief view at the list of permissions totally misses their states.
Yes, I do understand the engine is far more important than bells&whistles, but as for me, the mod is quite ready for everyday use, and I'd be happy to see it more user-faced.

Interested in helping with that?

Just grab AppSecurityEditablePermissions.java, app_editable_permission.xml and app_editable_permission_item.xml from http://review.cyanogenmod.com/4055 and start hacking :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Long time no see. :)

Any way there is a new build this one is based on the latest and greatest from CM 7.1. the download link is below.

Spoofed permissions:
    • READ_PHONE_STATE - You can now make your device return spoofed data from the methods protected with READ_PHONE_STATE permission. There is a demo app
      chart
      you can use to see the effect of spoofing and revoking READ_PHONE_STATE permission. Run the app revoke or spoof run the app again.

Since majority of time spend on READ_PHONE_STATE spoofing was about laying the needed infrastructure for spoofing in general, expect new spoofed permissions shortly.

ROM info:
    • This is a preview build bases on CM7 nightly builds. Some things may not work some features may be missing.
    • Some applications may not work properly with revoked permissions.
    • You can revoke permission of SYSTEM applications!!! DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.. However reboot resets the permissions of the system applications so you probably can recover.
    • If an application is running changing some permissions like say INTERNET will not be fully applied until the application is restarted.
    • If you come from CM7 nightly or CM7 RCx you probably don't need to wipe. I something is not working do a wipe.
    • Google apps are not included. You need to download them separately and flash them right after the ROM.
    • It will probably require ClockworkMod 3.x to flash properly.
    • You uses it at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible for the consequences.

Some technical stuff:
    If an application checks for its permissions it will appear that all required permissions are granted. This is done to keep some ad networks code happy. As far as I've tested this is safe since the permission check is done at the remote end of the call when protected method is invoked. Please report your findings.

Screen shot:

device.png

This is the extended Manage application screen.​

Download:

update-pffmod-7.1.0-Desire-KANG-signed.zip
    chart

old builds:
    direct link: update-pffmod-0.9.1-Desire-DEV-20110418-signed.zip storage provided by: http://onlinestoragesolution.com
    direct link: update-pffmod-0.9.0-DESIRE-DEV-20110328-signed.zip storage provided by: http://onlinestoragesolution.com