FORUMS

LG G2X Battery Drain Fix

39 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By jink25, Member on 22nd April 2011, 03:17 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Out of the box my phone was terrible on battery. It would go dead sitting idle after only 5-6hrs.

It was using over 150mA consistently just sitting idle, compared to 2-5mA now after doing a reset...something in the initial config...and maybe in the several lockups I experienced, must have done something bad.

Cycle the battery by letting it drain all the way down until you cant even turn it on.

Perform a full factory reset and let the phone charge fully before loading the phone up with 3rd party apps just to make sure you dont introduce anything new to the scenario that may drain battery life.

After the factory reset and battery cycling it works how I expect it to...glad I didnt get angry and return it right away.

*Factory Reset*
Settings-Privacy-Factory Data Reset

Few additional things I have found. since initial post...

1. I confirmed several times that qik video is a complete piece of junk and drains the battery, after factory reset dont re-configure it.

2. In settings-location & security settings DO NOT enable Use GPS satellites unless you really need to use specific GPS data for navigation...when indoors the GPS keeps looking for signal and drains the battery very quick.

3. Bluetooth seems to have an issue and is not power friendly at all...I have mine turn on at scheduled times only using an app.

Other Disclaimers:

As has been posted elsewhere the battery drivers are poor at best, you cannot trust the numbers being reported back. What I can confirm is that the factory reset gave me a useable phone for a lot longer than the 5-6 hrs I started with when the phone would physically turn off....regardless of misreporting battery status. So basically do the reset and keep the offending apps/processes off until a better version comes out, and dont trust the reported battery percentage.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jink25 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jink25 Ad-Free
22nd April 2011, 03:20 AM |#2  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Shrug... never had an issue. When I got the phone, I let it die before charging. Charged it up to 100% and have enjoyed a battery life that exceeds my N1 by at least 100%
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momentarylapseofreason For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift momentarylapseofreason Ad-Free
22nd April 2011, 03:28 AM |#3  
Flag Nashville
Thanks Meter: 106

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentarylapseofreason

Shrug... never had an issue. When I got the phone, I let it die before charging. Charged it up to 100% and have enjoyed a battery life that exceeds my N1 by at least 100%

My battery is fine also. I'm on hour 10 and just now got yellow indicator or just now at %30. This is without conditioning and without factory reset.
22nd April 2011, 03:28 AM |#4  
Flag Honolulu
Thanks Meter: 970

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jink25

Out of the box my phone was terrible on battery. It would go dead sitting idle after only 5-6hrs.

It was using over 150mA consistently just sitting idle, compared to 2-5mA now after doing a reset...something in the initial config...and maybe in the several lockups I experienced, must have done something bad.

Cycle the battery by letting it drain all the way down until you cant even turn it on.

Perform a full factory reset and let the phone charge fully before loading the phone up with 3rd party apps just to make sure you dont introduce anything new to the scenario that may drain battery life.

After the factory reset and battery cycling it works how I expect it to...glad I didnt get angry and return it right away.

Nice info. I appreciate you taking the time to give a detailed report.

When first getting a phone, I always drain it and charge it up 100%. Doing a factory reset isn't a bad idea at all...
22nd April 2011, 03:33 AM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Chicago, IL

More
The battery drain issue doesnt seem to be an issue for many..obviously there is some sort of problem for others though...thats why I provided the documentation to show it happening.

...others also have not had the lockup/reboot issue, which I had too...maybe they are somehow related? Either way a factory reset did the trick...draining the battery to 0 was just for good measure just in case.
22nd April 2011, 03:33 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 154

More
Yeah umm... when I downloaded that battery monitor widget its reporting a 1200 mAH battery... hmm...
22nd April 2011, 03:36 AM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Chicago, IL

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by runderekrun

Yeah umm... when I downloaded that battery monitor widget its reporting a 1200 mAH battery... hmm...

Thats becuase you need to input your battery rating, default is 1200...The values are ESTIMATED ONLY, and were used to just graph change over time.
22nd April 2011, 03:37 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by runderekrun

Same here.... is 1200 just the default value?
22nd April 2011, 03:38 AM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Chicago, IL

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalepa

Same here.... is 1200 just the default value?

Yes default is 1200...set the value to 1500.
22nd April 2011, 03:40 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Yes im getting less than adequate battery life iwill try this when I get home. So far ive been having to charge twice a day just to get through the day.

Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App
22nd April 2011, 03:43 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 154

More
Ah I see. Hey btw how do I factory reset this beast?

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)