By and313, Senior Member on 9th February 2011, 12:48 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th April 2011, 08:48 PM |#111  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 4,186

Donate to Me
More
Thanks for testing TheLamma. I'm thrilled to hear it's at least more or less working for you so soon after I started version 2.

The code is there to detect headset. I disabled it to allow antenna-less operation. Do you think it would be better to re-enable the code as is so it enforces the insertion of a headset antenna, or just inform the user that an antenna is recommended ?

I'll look into your speaker/headset issues. I saw something weird myself.

Yes, I'll re-alphabetitize. The United States is likely effectively there twice as it's such an awesome country.
EDIT: There are some slight differences in the code for US versus North America. I also realise now that certain
areas (Europe and Japan) are favoured by being at the top of the list instead of alphabetical. I'd bet you were happy
to see North America conveniently at the top, even though (or perhaps because) it's the default. So, for now at least
I'll leave this the way CodeAurora set it up. If anyone else has an opinion, please speak up.

Record didn't FC for me. It created an empty file on SDcard each time. I'll disable it though until it works as most people won't read instructions/release notes and will just experiment.

I suspect that it was the FMRadio Service that FC'd. Android automatically restarts services that crash after 5 seconds or so and that's why the "FM" reappeared in the notification bar.

The version 1 app supported 100 volume steps. The standard Android media volume only supports 16 steps including 0 volume. I will try making volume an exponential function, more like decibels than linear. I hope that 16 steps will be sufficient, but if not, it would require code that goes beyond standard Android media volume control. I doubt many (any?) apps do that and I'd think Google must have thought 16 steps are sufficient.

I'm guessing the "quiet fuzz" is due to the analog path from FM radio still being open, despite the FM chip being off. I'll add some code to shut that path down completely when the app powers down FM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
6th April 2011, 02:46 AM |#112  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
>The code is there to detect headset. I disabled it to allow antenna-less operation. Do you think it would be better to re-enable the code as is so it enforces the insertion of a headset antenna, or just inform the user that an antenna is recommended ?

I would like to see it automatically switch modes. Headset in, music on headset. No headset, music on speaker. With an option to disable in settings, of course.

>Yes, I'll re-alphabetitize. The United States is likely effectively there twice as it's such an awesome country.

Hah! Canada is way cooler.

>There are some slight differences in the code for US versus North America. I also realise now that certain areas (Europe and Japan) are favoured by being at the top of the list instead of alphabetical. I'd bet you were happy to see North America conveniently at the top, even though (or perhaps because) it's the default. So, for now at least
I'll leave this the way CodeAurora set it up. If anyone else has an opinion, please speak up.

Okay, if that's the norm, it's alright. I just thought it was odd.

>I suspect that it was the FMRadio Service that FC'd. Android automatically restarts services that crash after 5 seconds or so and that's why the "FM" reappeared in the notification bar.

Oh, so it acts as a service, then? Whatever it was, I didn't have restart it this time.

>The version 1 app supported 100 volume steps. The standard Android media volume only supports 16 steps including 0 volume. I will try making volume an exponential function, more like decibels than linear. I hope that 16 steps will be sufficient, but if not, it would require code that goes beyond standard Android media volume control. I doubt many (any?) apps do that and I'd think Google must have thought 16 steps are sufficient.

I'm fine with the 16, since it's standard. But I do admit more would be nice.

>I'm guessing the "quiet fuzz" is due to the analog path from FM radio still being open, despite the FM chip being off. I'll add some code to shut that path down completely when the app powers down FM.

That totally makes sense. I bet it'll fix it.

Sent from my Legend using XDA App
21st April 2011, 12:09 PM |#113  

Donate to Me
More
Gee I haven't posted too recently. Faster to develop when focusing.

I'm hoping to have an update available over the next few days, perhaps Mon. or Tues. at latest.

I have RDS data working now. Looks pretty cool... Stations that transmit song/artist names (or whatever) could enable a google search button for lyrics or other info.

I've now added support for stock and Blayo type ROMs that have /system/bin/btipsd_cli but don't have /system/bin/hcitool .

I just added experimental support for Broadcom chips, which seem a good deal more popular than TI chips.

Like the CM app for Broadcom however, it only supports 3 functions: On, Off, and Set Frequency. (There's volume support in the CM framework though.) I'll be adding much more functionality of course.

So although the CM FM app for Legend and other TI chip devices has relatively few functions, it's clearly more functional than the CM FM app for Broadcom.

After some "spelunking" I found a few functions about enabling the Tx antenna in the libbluedroid library. Perhaps those might enable Tx. I'll have to try with the TI btipsd_cli utility.

I've been running CM7 stable for a few days and the fixes for FM audio support are working nicely. With the newer CM7's super-user is no longer needed.

I've noted that ST-Ericsson is developing an FM radio API for Android. Would be nice. I'm not convinced now that V4L is the way to go.

I've also noted my own government (in my own town) has apparently developed an FM app with RDS for Galaxy S (Google Nexus S?) and it's in the Marketplace. AFAICT, first and still the only real FM app in marketplace. I hope to be second by end of the month, unless someone beats me to it, LOL.

I've peeked at the app and it looks relatively basic, but RDS would definitely be nice. I may use the library in this app for my own app, as their licence allows.
21st April 2011, 01:24 PM |#114  

More
Sounds like some great features coming along.

Since when do governments in towns make radio apps for phones? Lol

21st April 2011, 09:44 PM |#115  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLamma

Sounds like some great features coming along.
Since when do governments in towns make radio apps for phones? Lol

I meant the Canadian Federal gov't, which is in my area; the Ottawa/Gatineau region.

But that's what I thought; how dare they "compete" with me, with a free app, built with my tax dollars ? And they even hope to monetize it somehow (so they can support other phones etc.), so they aren't releasing the source... Usually, gov't tax funded software development should be open sourced, unless it's a security issue.

It's a communications research department, so it does make some sense. But I get the impression of the common gov't dept attempt to build an empire...
21st April 2011, 11:37 PM |#116  

More
That's my government too, man. Haha. Its country wide. ;]
I still find it weird that they would commission and Android radio app. O_o

24th April 2011, 01:30 PM |#117  

Donate to Me
More
I'm tired of "sitting" on these new features, so despite the lack of formal QA, I'm going to release this as it is now.

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B7UP2...download&hl=en

Or the containing page:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7U...N2M0YTc4&hl=en

There are a bunch of known issues, I'll get to sooner or later:

- On later CM7's with the CM FM app, my app and the system volume control will fight a bit. So adjusting volume you'll hear loud followed by quieter.

- Portrait to/from Landscape always switches audio to earphone jack.

- The stock/Blayo btipsd_cli support can result in a crashed btipsd daemon requiring Bluetooth restart. But this usually only happens to me when power is cycled on/or too fast.
This support also provides seek functionality but the resulting frequency display is wrong.

The app tries to figure out out a way to access the BT chip. If hcitool works properly, hcitool mode is active, same for btipsd_cli.

There is experimental support for the more popular Broadcom FM etc chips, but only the 4 simple functions in the CM app: namely On, Off, Tune and Volume/mute.

Please post or PM any issues, or sucesses or if you just want to offer input into what I should prioritize.

I'm looking to buy an HTC Desire HD when the stores re-open so I can test/enhance the Broadcom support. Apparently Broadcom is even MORE closed than TI when it comes to info os these particular BT/WiFi/FM chips So I'll have more reverse-engineering ahead.
25th April 2011, 03:26 AM |#118  
Flag Kent
Thanks Meter: 1,745

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

I'm tired of "sitting" on these new features, so despite the lack of formal QA, I'm going to release this as it is now.

Or the containing page:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7U...N2M0YTc4&hl=en

There are a bunch of known issues, I'll get to sooner or later:

- On later CM7's with the CM FM app, my app and the system volume control will fight a bit. So adjusting volume you'll hear loud followed by quieter.

- Portrait to/from Landscape always switches audio to earphone jack.

- The stock/Blayo btipsd_cli support can result in a crashed btipsd daemon requiring Bluetooth restart. But this usually only happens to me when power is cycled on/or too fast.
This support also provides seek functionality but the resulting frequency display is wrong.

The app tries to figure out out a way to access the BT chip. If hcitool works properly, hcitool mode is active, same for btipsd_cli.

There is experimental support for the more popular Broadcom FM etc chips, but only the 4 simple functions in the CM app: namely On, Off, Tune and Volume/mute.

Please post or PM any issues, or sucesses or if you just want to offer input into what I should prioritize.

I'm looking to buy an HTC Desire HD when the stores re-open so I can test/enhance the Broadcom support. Apparently Broadcom is even MORE closed than TI when it comes to info os these particular BT/WiFi/FM chips So I'll have more reverse-engineering ahead.

Just thought I would let you know I tried on DHD with no audio...
The Following User Says Thank You to liamstears For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift liamstears Ad-Free
25th April 2011, 07:50 PM |#119  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstears

Just thought I would let you know I tried on DHD with no audio...

OK, thanks for your report. Hopefully I'll get that fixed this week once I buy a DHD for development.

What ROM are you running ? I'm not sure it would work on anything but CyanogenMod at this time.
1st May 2011, 08:50 PM |#120  

Donate to Me
More
Version 2.0.2:

Relatively little that is noticeable has changed for TI based phones such as the HTC Legend, except that the UI has been somewhat redesigned, mostly to provide support for larger and smaller screens.

The app now supports tested Broadcom support on CM7. My new dev phone is an HTC Desire HD.

A pointer to my thread in a non-device specific forum where I'm hoping to aggregate further conversation about this app: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9#post13379669
1st May 2011, 08:55 PM |#121  
Flag Kent
Thanks Meter: 1,745

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

Version 2.0.2:

Relatively little that is noticeable has changed for TI based phones such as the HTC Legend, except that the UI has been somewhat redesigned, mostly to provide support for larger and smaller screens.

The app now supports tested Broadcom support on CM7. My new dev phone is an HTC Desire HD.

I will post a pointer to a thread in a non-device specific forum where I'm hoping to aggregate further conversation about this app.

Well done on desire hd progress! Will you be making it work for sense roms?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)