FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Norwegian Apple Wireless Keyboard settings and how to make your own

17 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By qsarklam, Junior Member on 6th March 2011, 07:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have a Norwegian Samsung Galaxy Tab and Norwegian Apple Wireless Keyboard.

Norwegian letters "æøå" on bluetooth keyboards are not supported out-of-the-box, so I searched forums without much luck. I found some helpful threads and decided to solve the problem and share the solution. Others can make their own modified keyboard settings quite easily using the same methods.

Using "adb logcat" I found that the keyboard layout files used were the "Broadcom_Bluetooth_HID.kcm.bin" and "Broadcom_Bluetooth_HID.kl" (might not be the same on other devices - CHECK!). I had the "adb logcat" going while connecting and disconnecting the keyboard, so that I could see what keyboard files were used by the apple keyboard. I made a backup of these and started modifying them, with success.

DON'T BLAME ME IF YOU DESTROY YOUR DEVICE WITH THIS!
I offer no guarantee this will work for everybody!

HOW TO USE:
"Broadcom_Bluetooth_HID.kcm.bin" --> /system/usr/keychars/
"Broadcom_Bluetooth_HID.kl" --> /system/usr/keylayout/

I did this simply by copying the files with the app "Super Manager".
Make backup first. My backups are included just in case.

HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN KEYBOARD SETTINGS:
I used a hex editor called UltraEdit on pc to change some symbols in the .kcm.bin-file, and I used the "KeyTest.apk" from github to make out all the scancodes and used them when editing the .kl-layout file in Notepad on the phone.

NB! If you use the hex editor, make sure you always change one symbol at a time and always do backups for each little change. Whenever I did some change that the system didn't like, it would turn to using the "qwerty.kcm.bin" as default, then I could use the backup to make it work again.

This is my first attempt of a sort of contribution to this great forum after
using it for years. Hope that others can use what I have learn't to make
their own settings. I have attached my original and edited settings files,
and a picture of the keyboard with scancodes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip norwegian apple wireless keyboard.zip - [Click for QR Code] (326.3 KB, 331 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qsarklam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift qsarklam Ad-Free

1st April 2011, 10:16 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I would be so happy if you could provide us with a swedish layout aswell as I am not so into programming!
2nd April 2011, 08:45 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaveikko

I would be so happy if you could provide us with a swedish layout aswell as I am not so into programming!

+1. . .. . .
6th April 2011, 02:19 PM |#4  
Flag Thy

More
Danish would be nice aswell. :)
Atleast its the same letters and not all that weird swedish stuff... ;-D

Martin

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App
19th April 2011, 01:33 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Nice find, qsarklam!
Could you post some info which hex key is which character, and how to identify individual buttons in the hex editor?
29th April 2011, 08:16 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:

+1 ...........
23rd May 2011, 06:27 PM |#7  

More
I have exactly the same issue, need though the German layout. Can anyone from you help me with this?

I would also appreciate the Swedish layout so count me in that one aswell.

Thanks!!!
30th July 2011, 03:35 PM |#8  
Flag Santiago, Chile

More
Spanish anyone?
Same issue, but in Spanish. The wireless Apple Spanish-ISO keyboard mostly works, even the Ñ, but some letters are not right and accented characters like áéíóú don't work. Also, the caps lock key LED doesn't light.

I tried using HexEditor on my rooted Samsung Galaxy Tab to edit the binaries but I can't figure out what maps to what so I'm stuck.

It's just so frustrating to have that nice keyboard sitting around. Would be a waste to have to buy and carry two keyboards, one for the iPhone and another one for the Tab.

To make matters more complicated, I like running the Galaxy Tab's Android UI in English, and I have a Mac so I can't run the suggested bin editors for Windows.

One would think that with the OS X being Unix-based and Android being Linux-based it should be as easy as copying a keyboard layout file from the Mac (or the iPhone) to the Tab, but it seems there is no such luck.
28th November 2011, 12:04 AM |#9  

More
Quote:

This thread is great! Anyone who has made a Swedish layout for the Apple Wireless Keyboard yet?
26th March 2012, 05:32 AM |#10  
Flag Floripa
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:

... I have attached my original and edited settings files,
and a picture of the keyboard with scancodes.

I've got one apple wireless keyboard also, and i'm remapping it. Does your Fn button works? How did you manage to find the scancodes from the F1, F2 ... keys?

Are you able pass the lockscreen with the keyboard? without touching the screen i mean.
30th March 2012, 10:30 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1,173

Donate to Me
More
For those who are not rooted or just don't want to mess with a hexeditor I've got an app that takes care of this and allready supports a lot of different layouts:

http://www.apedroid.com/android-appl...eyboard-helper
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)