[Q] Ubuntu an A500

Search This thread

jibweb

Feb 15, 2011
Hello!
I just came here to say that I cannot get mount my A500 on ubuntu ! Is it the same for you? How can I fix the issue?

(by the way, congratulations for rooting the tablet !!)

Thanks!

scarymonkey

Nov 5, 2006
The Iconia A500 uses MTP not mass storage (in fact I believe this is a function of honeycomb as the same applies for the Xoom). There are drivers for Windows and OSX to allow access but on Linux it is a lot harder.
I did find a site detailing how to get things working on a Xoom and used this information (modified for the A500) to get access once but since then I have not been able to get it to work at all (this is on Ubuntu 11.04 when the instructions detailed how to get it to work in 10.10).

Also Banshee is supposed to support MTP but again I have not been able to get the A500 to work with this (I have yet to really look into this though).

kebsood

Jul 29, 2007
sux i also use linux. using ftp or actually putting a sd card in every time, its very annoying

muqali

Nov 14, 2007
Unfortunately, Mexico
They really should leave an option to enable "mass storage" as a method of exporting the internal flash memory. Not everyone wants what these companies think is best.

jibweb

Feb 15, 2011
still no solution?

I tried to adapt the method for the Xoom but it didn't work either !! :'(

russell5

Apr 6, 2010
I use adb to move stuff to my sdcard. Its quicker for me to use command line than a gui.

I already have adb installed and working for my phone so it just made sense for me.

jibweb

Feb 15, 2011
doesn't you need driver to get the Acer A500 work properly?
I've already download the Android SDK but the only driver available is made for Windows :confused:

kinnerc

May 5, 2011
Somerville, MA
As folks have pointed out, the A500 does not have USB mounting support (yet) but does seem to have support for MTP. I found details on how to mount the Xoom onto Ubuntu Linux here. I have to assume these are the instructions that everyone is talking about above.

I am running 64 bit Ubuntu 10.10 (I unfortunately heard far too many dangerous things about 11.04 and it has become the only Ubuntu release I've not upgraded to). This instructions, modified for the Iconia A500, have worked for me. I've mounted and unmounted the device several times now.

I made some changes to the instructions. First my file is called /etc/udev/rules.d/51-honeycomb.rules. The entire file for me is:

ATTRS{idVendor}=="0502", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3341", ENV{ID_GPHOTO2}="1", ENV{GPHOTO2_DRIVER}="proprietary", ENV{ID_MEDIA_PLAYER}="1", ENV{ID_MTP_DEVICE}="1", MODE="0664", GROUP="audio"

I've made my mount point /media/iconia.

At this point I've not put the structure in fstab, but am mounting and unmounting manually with the commands:

mtpfs /media/xoom -o allow_other

and

fusermount -u /media/iconia

but, again, this is working for me.

My only question would be this: this gives me access to /mnt/sdcard on the Iconia tablet. How might I get access to /mnt/external_sd ?
-----
Doc Kinne
Somerville, MA

jibweb

Feb 15, 2011
Well congratulations then !! I'il try with your config file, should be way better than mine

But i'm on 11.04 (and i have to say that i had problems at the beginning but i booted on a live cd and i was able to upgrade from 11.04 to 11.04 (wtf?!?) and it solves everything :) )

Last edited:

JamesKinds

Nov 30, 2007
Hi all,

Thanks for the instructions. I followed them and now am able to see my A500 under Ubuntu 11.04 (64bit). However while I can see the directories on the tablet I can not see the files.

If I plug the tablet in and copy a file to the tablet from my PC the file is visible. If I then unmount and remove the tablet and reconnect it, the files do not show in Nautilus (Ubuntu default file manager).

However if I look at the files with a file manager on the A500 the files are there.

Any ideas?

I've tried playing around with the UDEV rules but no matter what I do I am unable to get past this.

I have also tried this on a 32bit 11.04 Ubuntu machine and obtained identical results.

In short, is anyone able to offer any suggestions that will allow me to view my files on the A500 in Ubuntu's Nautilus browser consistently?

Thanks for making this forum a great place to learn about the tablet! :)

jk

thalle

May 29, 2011
When i transfer mp3 file to /music, all album folders end up empty except for album-arts. All mp3 files is located in /music.

And if i transfer a *.avi file to /video all looks good, but when transfer is complete there is no file stored on the A500.

Why this, anyone?

A500 mounted as mtpfs.

nickstewartroc

Oct 10, 2009
Longwood
Can you mount an external microsd as mass storage and have Ubuntu pick it up? If you can, theroretically couldn't you just symlink the internal memory to a "folder" on the microsd? That's what I've done on the Mytouch 4G to get internal storage access,
Nick