FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Edited 30/1/2012: My GPS 100% fixed (21/4/11 PICS ADDED)

1,509 posts
Thanks Meter: 450

By sxi200, Senior Member on 20th April 2011, 11:31 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
29th April 2011, 02:12 PM |#201  
Here, there, everywhere
Thanks Meter: 2,311

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rom-g

I tried this hardware fix but i can't see any improvement on my SGS (I9000 bought JULY 2010). Pressure on the top of the ANTENNA has no effect on the values given by GPS test

And i also tried all the softwares fixes found here on XDA => none of them worked

For information : My GPS is sometimes able to lock satellites indoor...
Outdoor, i can see 8 or more satellites => BUT... when i move, the signal is immediately lost and it always take long minutes to lock again : that makes my GPS totally unusable (especially in a car).

For those still having gps problems, consider the use of an cheap/compact external bluetooth gps receiver, which works like a charm on any device running any version of Android.

On my first video (old) I am using the Nokia LW30 (if I remember well) which got a sirfstar3 chipset and got a large battery (replaceable) that seems to last forever ( I hardly charge it).

The video (on my signature) also shows how to use it...

Good luck

« »

29th April 2011, 04:43 PM |#202  
Flag Goa\Kuwait
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Well I tried it on my I9003, and applying pressure does not have a big effect but removing the back panel makes my GPS lot better! I wonder why?...
29th April 2011, 05:25 PM |#203  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdtweak

Tried on my SGS and can't honestly see and difference

maybe you did something wrong
29th April 2011, 05:27 PM |#204  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3

I can confirm that this works for me! Got a lock in two seconds and the arrow followed my path perfectly while I was on the bus, a feat that seemed impossible before! Thanks a million!

If I let go of the antenna the gps loses it signal straight away..

if you put presure right before it locks, should work
The Following User Says Thank You to jmgg2k For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jmgg2k Ad-Free
29th April 2011, 05:32 PM |#205  
Thanks Meter: 143

Donate to Me
More
Worked well for me, but I found it slightly tricky to get right.
I tried using double sided tape but then the casing wouldn't close properly and the gps signal kept on dropping completely.
After a bit of experimenting I've worked out that a TINY ball of blu-tac placed at the top and then flattened out with the thumb before applying the back plate seems to give the best results for me. The casing is slightly warped over the volume rocker, but the blu-tac being blu-tac holds it in place firmly whilst applying pressure on the GPS so long as you can get all of the corner clips secured down properly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Higadeb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Higadeb Ad-Free
29th April 2011, 06:58 PM |#206  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 3

More
This should be a sticky! An amazing and simple fix!
The Following User Says Thank You to leak73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift leak73 Ad-Free
29th April 2011, 07:19 PM |#207  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thumbs up
This has also work for me. done it with the blue tack but now I don't wan't to take the cover as the tack might change position.
Im on darky ressurection 9.2 and tried this on google map and copilot for three days now. GPS signal is accurate and locking after a few seconds.
Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Shujitzu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Shujitzu Ad-Free
29th April 2011, 10:55 PM |#208  
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Just use a little bit of tape to attach a small piece of toilet paper. A nice cushion and works wonders. That's what I did
The Following User Says Thank You to sonof For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sonof Ad-Free
1st May 2011, 08:36 PM |#209  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hi,

Unfortunately the g-spot trick did not work for me, so I decided to look a little closer and removed the plastic housing.
Another guy installed on the metal thingys there a cable and I did some test, too. Again no improvement with different cables and lengths.
But while fiddling around with the metal connector I thought maybe lifting it could help and indeed this was the trick for me. Improved my gps dramatically!
So instead of something pushing the antenna tighter, the metal connector now pushes harder and improves the signal quality.
Maybe a solution for some of you too...

Br stocki

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Premium App
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stocki78 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stocki78 Ad-Free
1st May 2011, 09:25 PM |#210  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Thanks stocki

Maybe sxi200 can edit the main post and add your suggestion as an alternative for when the simple approach doesn't work?
2nd May 2011, 04:19 PM |#211  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Confirmed! This is is ridiculous! I've NEVER had satellites even visible in my concrete&steel
apt. building, now i got 8-10 visible + 6-8 locks... Samsung owes the inventor of this $$$.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndroidHemroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AndroidHemroid Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)