Viber beta for Android is here!

Search This thread

ECBomb

Aug 29, 2010
Vancouver
For whatever reason, Viber just WON'T send me my access code! ><" Not even after I go to the "Get Code" part...ToT

edit: nevermind, I guess they just ran out of beta codes, so I'll most likely have to wait till they send me mine in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

chriscx

Feb 9, 2011
For whatever reason, Viber just WON'T send me my access code! ><" Not even after I go to the "Get Code" part...ToT

edit: nevermind, I guess they just ran out of beta codes, so I'll most likely have to wait till they send me mine in the next few weeks.

you have to fill in this form, if you had registered as beta tester:

http://www.viber.com/android-beta/

and you will get the right link for the good app

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
Hi everyone,
We (Viber) are just as excited as you are for our new beta.
We're thankful for your feedbacks, and hoping you are finding it useful!

A few messages and clarifications:

1. Although I'm following this thread, we would like to ask you to post all your technical issues and suggestions in our official Android webpage: blog.viber.com/viber-beta-support

2. For those who are not receiving the code or getting the error message saying they need to subscribe: the only way for you to successfully install our beta is to have subscribed, and wait for our official invitation email. Otherwise your email and number won't have been activated, thus you're blocked (we didn't want our .APK to simply be open to EVERYONE in the world). Please wait patiently. It might take up to a week, but you should eventually receive the email and use it freely.

3. If you haven't subscribed in the official way yet, you can still do it here and wait for our email: eepurl.com/bW1Ln

For other info or questions, I'm here!

Best regards,
Viber.

x潮騒x

Oct 16, 2010
I registered even before december last year and didnt get a beta invite yet... so probably its still too early to get really excited, as there are thousands of people that registered later... especially over the last time.

Makes only sense of course if they send out the codes in the order as people registered.

EDIT:
I have to correct myself. i never got an invite email from viber, but using the email i used back then to subscribe i could register here http://www.viber.com/android-beta/ without any problems. i just had to try some email addresses as i didnt know anymore which one i used back then. I didnt recive a sms but the activation call worked without any problems.

So yeah, even if you didnt get an invitation mail it might work. And YES, i checked my spamfolder before!

Last edited:

Bizzy_B

Jun 16, 2009
Hi everyone,

1. Although I'm following this thread, we would like to ask you to post all your technical issues and suggestions in our official Android webpage: blog.viber.com/viber-beta-support

2. For those who are not receiving the code or getting the error message saying they need to subscribe: the only way for you to successfully install our beta is to have subscribed, and wait for our official invitation email. Otherwise your email and number won't have been activated, thus you're blocked (we didn't want our .APK to simply be open to EVERYONE in the world). Please wait patiently. It might take up to a week, but you should eventually receive the email and use it freely.

3. If you haven't subscribed in the official way yet, you can still do it here and wait for our email: eepurl.com/bW1Ln

Best regards,
Viber.

Hi there.
Why do I see the Viber logo in the notification. Isn't there any possibility to turn it off?
I thought you receive your calls and messages through push notification?

x潮騒x

Oct 16, 2010
Hi there.
Why do I see the Viber logo in the notification. Isn't there any possibility to turn it off?
I thought you receive your calls and messages through push notification?
I think thats kinda annoying too. if every running service would show an icon, there would be no space left...
As the service is always running in the background anyway, there is simply no need to show the symbol all the time.

burimii

Mar 1, 2010
Diber
Redmi Note 9 Pro
I think thats kinda annoying too. if every running service would show an icon, there would be no space left...
As the service is always running in the background anyway, there is simply no need to show the symbol all the time.

Well i think we need that icon to see if the Viber Server in ONLINE or OFFLINE i like it !
I found a problem VIBER , when someone calls me when i try to Accept the call i have to touch the Accept button and wait a little then swipe it to right side, if i swipe immediately the call is Rejected and doesnt inform the other side (the caller) that i Rejected his call.

x潮騒x

Oct 16, 2010
Well i think we need that icon to see if the Viber Server in ONLINE or OFFLINE i like it !
Thats kinda redundant, as you should safely assume that you are connected to viber as long as you have an online connection... if its usual that you cant connect to viber while having an online connection, it basically means the service isn't very reliable.

Bizzy_B

Jun 16, 2009
Thats kinda redundant, as you should safely assume that you are connected to viber as long as you have an online connection... if its usual that you cant connect to viber while having an online connection, it basically means the service isn't very reliable.

For me, the WhatsApp solution is way better. Even if I quit the app with ATK, I get my mails pushed. I don't even see Viber in ATK.

That's quite unacceptable for me.
Zhe rest of the app is fine for me.

x潮騒x

Oct 16, 2010
For me, the WhatsApp solution is way better. Even if I quit the app with ATK, I get my mails pushed. I don't even see Viber in ATK.
if you quit the WhatsApp client, the WhatsApp service is still running... i dont get your point. Whats the problem with services running in the background anyway? As long as they are not eating up your battery which shouldn't be the case if they are properly programmed.

i mean as long as they dont eat up space in the notification bar :D

Bizzy_B

Jun 16, 2009
if you quit the WhatsApp client, the WhatsApp service is still running... i dont get your point. Whats the problem with services running in the background anyway? As long as they are not eating up your battery which shouldn't be the case if they are properly programmed.

i mean as long as they dont eat up space in the notification bar :D

Homez, I know that Viber is not really draining my battery, I just don't want to see the logo in the notification bar. The application can run in the background, it can even run besides me if it wants. I just want my notification bar clean ;-)

x潮騒x

Oct 16, 2010
Homez, I know that Viber is not really draining my battery, I just don't want to see the logo in the notification bar. The application can run in the background, it can even run besides me if it wants. I just want my notification bar clean ;-)
its gone in the newest beta! Thanks!

And i got an invitation mail to the beta today... a little bit late regarding i am using the beta already since last week. And it works really good for me... besides not deactivating the screen while calling (proximity sensor) but im sure they will fix this soon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just tried from my DHD with some Iphone users works awesome guys !
    http://www.viber.com/android-beta/

Edit: Those subscribers who are registered before the BETA Release can get a CODE just click on the link.
    I got no mail from VIBER but i was registered before the beta release and got my code so try it!
    Hi everyone,

Best regards,
    Viber.
    This is a very good question - thank you for asking it. Please allow me to explain:

In Viber, we have set it as a goal to reach out to all our users worldwide. Meaning, we visit forums, blogs and social networks and actively find users who problems, we guide them through a solution, and collect reports and feedback (so we can improve and assist). So first, it is important to note that XDA is "just another forum" in this sense. If users are running Custom ROMs, it doesn't mean we will neglect them automatically. On the contrary - in the great majority of the cases, Viber works just fine even on Custom ROMs, so from our point of view, these are just Viber users like any other users, and our duty to help them is equivalent.

Now, it is true that Viber is not compatible with *a few* Custom ROMs out there. It is important to note that Custom ROMs, as you probably know, alters and tweaks many internal characteristics of your OS. Usually this isn't a problem. Sometimes, in rare cases, it results in lack of functionality. We, at the company, cannot follow the frequent changes in the ROM world and adapt Viber to each and every sub-version of all ROMs out there. The difference between us and ROM developers, is the fact that we have limited resources (we are not a worldwide community that's working on an open-source), and we have goals and projects that are not Android-related (Viber for iOS, Viber for Blackberry, etc....).

* By the way, in the past we HAVE looked into critical problems with very popular Custom ROMs, but these are rare cases. As a whole, we do not officially support Custom ROMs, due to the reason I listed above.

So to summarize, we are here to help XDA users just like any other users. We do ask them for logs, and we do encourage the users to give us feedback, and bug reports. When we look at these errors, if they are directly caused by a specific characteristic of the Custom ROM, unfortunately it is our decision not to devote manpower and time to fix it, since we simply cannot handle ALL the adaptations we need to make to have Viber fully compatible with ALL Custom ROMs out there :)

I hope this answered your question, and if not - please do not hesitate to contact me again!
    @geenyous and @dbekris -
    HD2 is a device based originally on Windows OS. The very fact that you have Android installed means it's a customized ROM and not the original OS that comes with the device.

Besides that, I can answer your question about what might be the source of the problem: we found that many ROMs, specifically CM7, change the "Model Name" in Android settings from e.g G-i5500 to "Galaxy S". This confuses Viber because we have have no way of knowing what device we are working with, and that results in an inability to operate the device's microphone (thus the other side can't hear you!)

We will see what we can do in order to fix that, but in the meanwhile you'll have to contact the ROM developers and consult with them on possible solutions.

@paul c -
    We are adding an "Exit" button, but unfortunately a sub-option for VoIP vs. texts is currently not planned. However, if you don't want to use up your 3G data on VoIP calls, you can simply decline Viber calls when on 3G. We might add such a feature in the future.