[PoC] Theme Kitchen and Gingerbread CRT animation (updated)

Search This thread

Meister_Li

Jun 26, 2010
Cork
All right, I did a little bit of experimenting and managed to use a theme created with the UOT Theme Kitchen ( thanks and all credits for the awesome kitchen script and art goes to http://uot.dakra.lt/kitchen/ ) and also enable the Gingerbread CRT animation on screen lock (thanks to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=977501 ).

It was actually pretty easy and I will provide more detailed instructions tomorrow (as it's late and I'm tired). For now, have some screenshots (my theming abilities are horrible, I know, it's proof of concept, after all) and the two files in question.

Some don'ts before you go ahead and just jump in and replace:

Don't replace them with the Root explorer. It will not work. Use ADB as instructed.
Don't use this if your bootloader isn't unlocked. If something goes wrong, your phone will boot loop and without a recovery, you're screwed. People with fastboot enabled devices can flash Binary's very very helpful system image from here via fastboot to get everything back to normal: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1043630

Here are the screenshots (I removed some of the ugly colorings now, I think it looks better):

playcap4.png
playcap5.png

Steps to install this "theme":

Enable USB debugging.
Make sure your phone is rooted and that you have busybox installed.
Make sure you ONLY use this on the R800i with Build Number 184. It might also work on other Xperia Play/Arc/Neo's with 184, but most likely, it won't.

Code:
adb push framework-res.apk /sdcard/framework-res.apk
adb push SystemUI.apk /sdcard/SystemUI.apk
adb shell
$ su
# mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock0 /system
# busybox cp -R /sdcard/framework-res.apk /system/framework/
# busybox cp -R /sdcard/SystemUI.apk /system/app/
# sync
# mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock0 /system
# reboot

Needed files are attached!

Have fun!

EDIT: Uploaded and attached the normal Play framework with enabled CRT animation. :)

EDIT2: Uploaded the Play framework with enabled CRT Animation for Firmware .145 (2.3.3)

EDIT3: Uploaded Verizon Play framework with enabled CRT Animation (Firmware 2.3.2 3.0.E.2.89)

If you want to donate to me as thanks, donate to the UOT Kitchen! http://uot.dakra.lt/ they did most of the work, I did very little. :)

Attachments

• PlayCRT.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 269
  • PlayThemedCRT.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 184
  • PlayCRT-145.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 144
  • R800x-30E289-CRT.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:

waz000000

Dec 11, 2006
leicester
Love it black and blue is the ultimate theme, and i really missed the CRT screen anim how sad is that!

just to clarify, why would we need an unlocked bootloader for this? surely if something goes wrong we can use sony's own software updater as it's unmodified?

Meister_Li

Jun 26, 2010
Cork
Well, okay, that might also work, but since I don't have any way to test it, I can't guarantee it. I also think that that recovery method wipes all userdata, which isn't very nice. However, if you want to try out, feel free. ;)

waz000000

Dec 11, 2006
leicester
Done and Done, restored fine, due to all the testing ive been doing recently ive already got the recovery files and script set up to restore my phone to the way it was so it doesn't take too long.

So i can confirm at least on mine your ok to restore after doing this with sony's software IF your bootloader is locked.

getting different notification icons than you see below

screenshot2or.png

Last edited:

Meister_Li

Jun 26, 2010
Cork
I use good old launcher pro at the moment, mainly because out runs really snappy with live wallpapers and because the pro version has some useful widgets.

Also, did the "theme" apply well for you? I think the colours need some tuning still, and I eventually want to use my own images top make it a "proper" theme. For now, it's just to test the waters.

waz000000

Dec 11, 2006
leicester
everything went fine, the last part wouldnt remount so i rebooted, then ran the last command when it semi-booted and rebooted again, the only thing that's off is the notification bar.

The colours are slightly off the blue looks to be baby blue as apposed to a striking darker blue, but great first attempt at customizing your the first!

Meister_Li

Jun 26, 2010
Cork
Yeah, that was my impression as well. I'll work on it more tonight, after work, but that is still about 12 hours away (long day). For now, it's a start at least. ;)

NielDK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 13, 2008
Farum
Just awesome!
Looks great, just pushed it to my Dansih branded phone, without issues.

Great to see stuff happening, and looking forward to see more.

AndroHero

May 28, 2010
Manchester
Any chance we can get a copy of the framework with just the crt animation activated :)

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

Dousan

Aug 9, 2010
Copenhagen
You could also check this thread out. It's from the arc section. It worked on my play ;-)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1057556

Regards Dousan...

Looks great mates :-D

E: have flashed the UK 1.84 generic and used the arc's framework-res.apk for 1.84 FW. Copied the apk to system first then changed permissions and then moved it to /system/framework to avoid bootloop, wich I encountered the first time I tried. Hence the flashing :-S

Last edited:

Meister_Li

Jun 26, 2010
Cork
Forgot to set permissions in theme, was unable to access root explorer and now a bootloop...

It's most likely because the framework from the thread only works on Plays with FW Version 181. To fix the bootloop, either flash Binary's pre-rooted System image that I linked to in my first post (if you have an unlocked bootloader) or use the Sony Ericsson Update service on your PC to repair it.

Reactions: svenk919

svenk919

Oct 12, 2008
Enschede
Downloading Binary's file right now. Used the file that was made for 184 that's also in the thread now.

Edit: Binary's file fixed mine, did give me back my bloatware :(

Last edited:

AndroHero

May 28, 2010
Manchester
1.84 uk generic mate :-D

Have edited my first post...

I think we will be able to use alot from the arc section in the future afaik they are running the same ui as us. There framework-res works like a charm on the play ;-)

Regards Dousan...

thats quite useful being compatible with the arc, the arc has diffrent specs to the play, so you would expect the framework to call for diffrent libs :confused: obviously not :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All right, I did a little bit of experimenting and managed to use a theme created with the UOT Theme Kitchen ( thanks and all credits for the awesome kitchen script and art goes to http://uot.dakra.lt/kitchen/ ) and also enable the Gingerbread CRT animation on screen lock (thanks to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=977501 ).

It was actually pretty easy and I will provide more detailed instructions tomorrow (as it's late and I'm tired). For now, have some screenshots (my theming abilities are horrible, I know, it's proof of concept, after all) and the two files in question.

Some don'ts before you go ahead and just jump in and replace:

Don't replace them with the Root explorer. It will not work. Use ADB as instructed.
    Don't use this if your bootloader isn't unlocked. If something goes wrong, your phone will boot loop and without a recovery, you're screwed. People with fastboot enabled devices can flash Binary's very very helpful system image from here via fastboot to get everything back to normal: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1043630

Here are the screenshots (I removed some of the ugly colorings now, I think it looks better):

playcap4.png
    playcap5.png

Steps to install this "theme":

Enable USB debugging.
    Make sure your phone is rooted and that you have busybox installed.
    Make sure you ONLY use this on the R800i with Build Number 184. It might also work on other Xperia Play/Arc/Neo's with 184, but most likely, it won't.

Code:
    adb push framework-res.apk /sdcard/framework-res.apk
    adb push SystemUI.apk /sdcard/SystemUI.apk
    adb shell
    $ su
    # mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock0 /system
    # busybox cp -R /sdcard/framework-res.apk /system/framework/
    # busybox cp -R /sdcard/SystemUI.apk /system/app/
    # sync
    # mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock0 /system
    # reboot

Needed files are attached!

Have fun!

EDIT: Uploaded and attached the normal Play framework with enabled CRT animation. :)

EDIT2: Uploaded the Play framework with enabled CRT Animation for Firmware .145 (2.3.3)

EDIT3: Uploaded Verizon Play framework with enabled CRT Animation (Firmware 2.3.2 3.0.E.2.89)

If you want to donate to me as thanks, donate to the UOT Kitchen! http://uot.dakra.lt/ they did most of the work, I did very little. :)
    I did a little overtime and screwed my sleep schedule up to create a CRT-Enabled 2.3.3 Framework for you. Have fun. :p
    Forgot to set permissions in theme, was unable to access root explorer and now a bootloop...

It's most likely because the framework from the thread only works on Plays with FW Version 181. To fix the bootloop, either flash Binary's pre-rooted System image that I linked to in my first post (if you have an unlocked bootloader) or use the Sony Ericsson Update service on your PC to repair it.
    Also too has anyone figured out what to do about the boot logo I'm looking to change it for the SE logo to something different

I think some of the Kernels, such as the one included in Cyanogenmod, do replace the Boot Logo. I wouldn't know how to do it tho, your best bet would be to ask one of the Cyanogenmod guys or Doomlord.

Anyway, I attached the modified framework-res.apk

If you can, please install it via the adb commands on the first page instead of the root explorer, as that seems to be less safe and can mess up the permissions sometimes. I don't really want you to bootloop. :p Also, can you tell me which software version you're running exactly? If it works, I can upload it for others too, then.
    For anyone who has a stock rooted r800x and can't get the commands to work to get the CRT animation I just got finished getting a flashable .zip to work

put it on your sd card and boot into recovery with fastboot wipe cache and the install from sd sdcard. Enjoy

first boot up will take a few minutes