[GAME] Discanoid has been released!

Search This thread

xrbpowered

May 4, 2011
xrbpowered.com
Hi guys!
Any comments on the gameplay and level design would be great! :)

Demo:
https://market.android.com/details?id=xrbpowered.android.discanoid&feature=search_result
Full version:
https://market.android.com/details?id=xrbpowered.android.discanoid.full

chart

Update 1.0.1:
- Fixed multiple screen support: better look on mdpi screens, fullscreen mode on xlarge screens.
- Toss physics improved, now it is more responsive to fast flings. Other physical parameters have been adjusted to keep the game difficulty at the same level.
- Added gradually increasing difficulty in the arcade mode.
- Sensor levels are marked as such in the level list and show a special mark on the disc base.
- Back key returns from options and level selection menus.
- Added fly-in notifications, such as "difficulty up" and "secret unlocked". Will be used for achievements too.
- Added drum sound on level start and difficulty increase.
- Click sound removed from Stage 3.

Update 1.0.2:
- Achievements!
- Internally, more gears and levers to maintain achievements, triggers and events.

Update 1.0.3:
- Fixed achievements display for older droids (2.1 or less).
- Added features: guest mode*, move to SD.
- Level 6 renamed and simplified.
- Removed 4 boring achievements.
- Under the hood: minor bugfixes, major refactoring, full-version forward compatibility and code obfuscation.
- Content rating: low maturity

*What is guest mode?
All records, achievements and unlocks earned in the guest mode will be reverted when the mode is off again. It is useful if your friend wants to play the game, and you do not want him or her to mess up with your progress. Guest mode will be automatically switched off when game exits or can be switched on/off from the options menu.

Update 1.0.3.2:
- Removed code obfuscation because of FCs.

Update 1.0.5:
Full version RELEASE!
- Start message not displayed when level is restarted/replayed
- More Games button in Options menu linked to the Android market
- Code obfuscation fixed
- Bug fix: wall collision sound when disc has no velocity
- Bug fix: disc control after been teleported
- Other level-scripting related bugfixes

Update 1.0.5.1:
- Bug fix: level hints never displayed

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 424
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 611
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 315
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

knightnz

Dec 12, 2009
Wellington
Reactions: xrbpowered

xrbpowered

May 4, 2011
xrbpowered.com
Thanks a lot!

The toss-physics is explainable: there is an elastic bond between the disc and the finger instead of a firm grip, you can see it while trying to "wobble" the disc. Most people are confused as they do not expect that. I probably need to do something about it.

On edit, it seems to pause and partially reload when going from portrait to landscape. Don't know if that's just my firmware/ROM though.
That's a funny bug, something sneak-removed the "portrait" flag from the app's manifest lol. In the next update it'll be okay.

xrbpowered

May 4, 2011
xrbpowered.com
Update 1.0.2b

Finally, the achievements are there!
They look better on Android 2.3 because of this sweet ColorFilter class that I like so much. Screenshot has been made using 2.1 on emulator, and it's still not bad, isn't it? :D

I think the beta will end in about a week or two. Everyone who plays Discanoid during this period will receive a unique achievement!
Enjoy!

RitterAchim

Jan 20, 2011
Thanks for the great game =). Had no problems with my DHD CM7.
Wasn't that easy to get behind stage 6 :D but after you know what to do, it is not that difficult to complete.

Reactions: xrbpowered

xrbpowered

May 4, 2011
xrbpowered.com
Physics are much better. I'm still stuck on stage 6 - tap me, though. I just don't get it.

Thanks for the feedback. I will consider making this level a bit easier, and I think I need to change the name and start message. Tap-launches do not help much after the physics been updated.

Here's a hint: Disc grip has area of effect (displayed by a circle under your finger). When the disc just touches this area with its edge, it gets "sucked" in, where possible. And where impossible... well... probably that's enough to know :)

xrbpowered

May 4, 2011
xrbpowered.com
Updates 1.0.3b and 1.0.3.2b

I have published an update which caused lots of FCs and stressful bug-fixing time.

The problem was in ProGuard code obfuscation (which probably renamed onClick methods in the main activity class). I have temporarily removed it and re-published the update as 1.0.3.2b. Now it should work.
Sorry for the inconvenience!

It worked on my device tho... I still do not understand why. Maybe because I replaced the old version instead of fully reinstalling it..... :(

Reactions: DaniLoveSky

xrbpowered

May 4, 2011
xrbpowered.com
Thanks for the update! No force close problems in this version.
Thank you, good to know.
Thanks everyone for sending crash reports!

Done =) was not that difficult
Wow! I found it quite difficult while testing.
Okay, there will be more challenge in the full version. However, my target is maximum fun, not maximum difficulty :)

Soon I'm gonna try update 1.0.3.3 with fixed obfuscation, and if it works, I will make a release.

Here are some sneak-peek screenshots of the full-version features I am currently working on. From left to right:
- Timer targets will explode when counter reaches 0.
- Grinders move around the levels and will shred the disc upon contact.
- Tesla towers (my favorites!) cast lightnings at a limited distance. Lightnings may hit targets and triggers through the walls; use the disc to conduct the charges.
- Breakable bricks are here to bring some real "Breakout" mood.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 48
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 48

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys!
    Any comments on the gameplay and level design would be great! :)

Demo:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=xrbpowered.android.discanoid&feature=search_result
    Full version:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=xrbpowered.android.discanoid.full

chart

Update 1.0.1:
    - Fixed multiple screen support: better look on mdpi screens, fullscreen mode on xlarge screens.
    - Toss physics improved, now it is more responsive to fast flings. Other physical parameters have been adjusted to keep the game difficulty at the same level.
    - Added gradually increasing difficulty in the arcade mode.
    - Sensor levels are marked as such in the level list and show a special mark on the disc base.
    - Back key returns from options and level selection menus.
    - Added fly-in notifications, such as "difficulty up" and "secret unlocked". Will be used for achievements too.
    - Added drum sound on level start and difficulty increase.
    - Click sound removed from Stage 3.

Update 1.0.2:
    - Achievements!
    - Internally, more gears and levers to maintain achievements, triggers and events.

Update 1.0.3:
    - Fixed achievements display for older droids (2.1 or less).
    - Added features: guest mode*, move to SD.
    - Level 6 renamed and simplified.
    - Removed 4 boring achievements.
    - Under the hood: minor bugfixes, major refactoring, full-version forward compatibility and code obfuscation.
    - Content rating: low maturity

*What is guest mode?
    All records, achievements and unlocks earned in the guest mode will be reverted when the mode is off again. It is useful if your friend wants to play the game, and you do not want him or her to mess up with your progress. Guest mode will be automatically switched off when game exits or can be switched on/off from the options menu.

Update 1.0.3.2:
    - Removed code obfuscation because of FCs.

Update 1.0.5:
    Full version RELEASE!
    - Start message not displayed when level is restarted/replayed
    - More Games button in Options menu linked to the Android market
    - Code obfuscation fixed
    - Bug fix: wall collision sound when disc has no velocity
    - Bug fix: disc control after been teleported
    - Other level-scripting related bugfixes

Update 1.0.5.1:
    - Bug fix: level hints never displayed
    Kudos! This is really fun. No issues on my Xperia X10. It is pretty hard to fling the disc quickly though. Great job!

Sent from my X10i using XDA Premium App
    Runs happily on my Galaxy Tab, albeit not in fullscreen. Seems to work ok, seem to need to drag the disc about a bit to build up speed, just flinging it straight out causes it to move quite slowly (as kxhawkins has observed).

Nice and simple, good to see a new twist on the Breakout theme.

Here's a live link for it:

Definitely better playability with the last update!
    Great game!

Works wonderful on MT4G, really cool game, thanks man!