[Guide] How to get into Download Mode

Search This thread

golmar88

Aug 27, 2010
Tulsa
I have seen this asked quite a bit around here lately. Thought I would put this out there for reference. Let me know if you have better ways/I have it totally wrong.

FIRST METHOD (easiest/most common)

1) Power phone off
2) Plug USB into computer
3) Hold vol up + vol down
4) Plug USB into phone while still holding the vol up and vol down
5) Yellow /_\ (triangle, Downloading, Andy shoveling, Do not turn off Target!!! symbol)
Your now in Download mode

SECOND METHOD

1) Power phone off
2) Plug USB into Computer
3) Plug microUSB into phone
4) Hold pwr + vol up + vol down
5) When Batt icon goes away, release pwr, still holding vol up + vol down
6) Yellow /_\ (triangle, Downloading, Andy shoveling, Do not turn off Target!!! symbol)
You should now be in Download mode.

THIRD METHOD

1) Power phone off
2) Pull battery out
4) While holding vol up + vol down, plug in USB cable into the phone
5) While still holding vol up + vol down, put battery back in
6) Yellow /_\ (triangle, Downloading, Andy shoveling, Do not turn off Target!!! symbol)

FOURTH METHOD (adb)

1) Enable debugging on your phone (Menu>Settings>Applications>Development>)
2) With phone on, plug USB into computer and phone
3) Open cmd
4) Type in "adb devices" (not totally necessary, but I always do it just to make sure everything is good), making sure it recognizes your device
5) Type in "adb reboot download"

If you have CERTAIN GB bootloaders it changes the the way you access download and recovery.
Download mode = vol down + pwr (NOT - vol up + vol down + pwr)
Recovery = vol up + pwr (NOT - vol up + vol down + pwr
)

Like I said, let me know if any of this should be changed. :)

*Edit- Changed steps 4 & 5 in "THIRD METHOD", per comments.

Last edited:

Beefvvl

Sep 11, 2010
San Diego
For the 3rd method I plug in the usb cable first, then push both volume keys, then put battery back in while holding both volume keys.

muleman

Aug 30, 2010
ive got a bricked phone that doesnt even respond to the USB jig... and still none of these work for my "phone--!--comp" screen :(

krarvind

Jun 15, 2011
Saint John, NB
not sure if you got yours fixed. If you can see your phone + !+ comp then it's not a full brick. Jig should work, it worked for me today.

debzkey

Jul 18, 2011
Roy, New Mexico
I got this, what do I do next? I keep getting message "SIM network unlock PIN". I have tried everything I find in this site, only to be dazed...I have two SamsungS Vibrant's and I got one to work just fine...it's the second that has gotten the better of me...HELP, please and THANK YOU

J

jdubb1106

4th method should be

open cmd then

cd/
cd androidsdk
cd tools
adb devices (to make sure its connected)
adb reboot download

tomankaren

Jul 27, 2011
I tried all these methods after updating to 2.3.4 and can not get back into the download mode. Any suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

tomankaren

Jul 27, 2011
I did that. It didn't work.

EDIT:
I evidently did it wrong. It worked the last time I tried. Thanks :)

Last edited:

adambarrios

Sep 13, 2010
Fort Sam Houston TX
i'm on 2.3.3 and am having this issue with not being able to get back into download mode anymore or recovery mode. tried every combination and all four mentioned in another thread. is there another way to flash a rom without being in download mode? can i just do it straight from odin after plugging it in?

IDRFT95S14

Oct 1, 2010
Conroe TX.
www.facebook.com
mine didnt seem to work with any of those but i saw a video based on the epic by holding down the #"1" button on the key pad and the power button takes you to download mode ,and it worked for me;)

endlesshope

Feb 19, 2011
omg!

thank you so much! it worked for me. but my imei is still null . and wont read my sim card. any of them this happened after i tried to unlock it . does any one know how to fix it? ive used odin and flashed the stock rom still didnt work. ive upraded it to 2.3.3 still didnt work. idk what the deal is . but it wont work. can any one help me with this? i have a galaxy s 4g for tmobile. it keeps saying searching at the top

bobdelt

Feb 9, 2008
What I do, is take the battery out, put the battery in, plug in the usb, take the battery out, volume up down up down up down up down, unplug usb, take out the battery, take the dog for a walk, put the battery back in, hold down the volume keys, then plug it in, and it works!

jk, great guide. much thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have seen this asked quite a bit around here lately. Thought I would put this out there for reference. Let me know if you have better ways/I have it totally wrong.

FIRST METHOD (easiest/most common)

1) Power phone off
    2) Plug USB into computer
    4) Plug USB into phone while still holding the vol up and vol down
    5) Yellow /_\ (triangle, Downloading, Andy shoveling, Do not turn off Target!!! symbol)
    Your now in Download mode

SECOND METHOD

1) Power phone off
    2) Plug USB into Computer
    3) Plug microUSB into phone
    4) Hold pwr + vol up + vol down
    5) When Batt icon goes away, release pwr, still holding vol up + vol down

THIRD METHOD

1) Power phone off
    2) Pull battery out
    4) While holding vol up + vol down, plug in USB cable into the phone
    5) While still holding vol up + vol down, put battery back in

FOURTH METHOD (adb)

1) Enable debugging on your phone (Menu>Settings>Applications>Development>)
    2) With phone on, plug USB into computer and phone
    3) Open cmd
    4) Type in "adb devices" (not totally necessary, but I always do it just to make sure everything is good), making sure it recognizes your device
    5) Type in "adb reboot download"

If you have CERTAIN GB bootloaders it changes the the way you access download and recovery.
    Download mode = vol down + pwr (NOT - vol up + vol down + pwr)
    Recovery = vol up + pwr (NOT - vol up + vol down + pwr
    )

Like I said, let me know if any of this should be changed. :)

*Edit- Changed steps 4 & 5 in "THIRD METHOD", per comments.
    I can't get into recovery or download mode, i am also confused why i cant, its a simple step and i tried all the methods and just doesn't work, its a big disappointing..
    Would this thing work for me?

The third method is the one that never fails for me.

Pull the battery.

You need to make sure you have both volume up and down pushed firmly. I have read many times people have had to push harder than they thought they would to do this.

When pushing the volume up and down button firmly - do it in a way you will be able to put the battery back in with your other hand.

Make sure your USB cable is plugged into your computer.

Plug the cable into your phone while firmly pushing the volume up and down button.

Then put the battery in while firmly pushing the volume up and down button and USB cable is plugged in.

If you are booting into a black screen - there is still hope for you don't worry. But if you are seeing the Samsung splash screen just keep trying and you will get it more than likely.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

are root if it its not root your device then go to the market and download quickboot

Really... go the market on a bootloop. You guys are making me laugh. Not to be rude but really?

I would start by posting your question in one of the forums for your device:

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-mini
    Try downloading a terminal emulator app on the phone. Go into the app & type:

reboot download
    I have tried all methods and i just end up with a screen of a battery with that white icon inside, even with method 2 when battery icon disappears i release the power button and nothing happens, any other method or solution because i have bootloop and cant do anything,

When going into download mode you dont use the power button... Just press both volume button and plug in the usb cable at the same time, wait for the Samsung splash screen and release... Make sure your usb debug is on also

Sent from...that shallow place in the back 40