Google IO Tab 10.1 Time Issue (Fix include)

Search This thread

neonbjb

Jan 8, 2011
Hey guys,
So as an attendee to IO, I got a 10.1 tab; only problem is it was using the European time zone and for whatever reason used my google account settings which told it to automatically pull down the time from the servers (which would then report an incorrect time due to the incorrect time zone). I guess there's some kind of bug in the settings for the tab as it's missing the option to turn off automatic time, so I was left with a tab that had the incorrect time and could not be set.

So I wrote an android app that manually over-rides the automatic time setting, and it worked like a charm. If anyone else out there is having this issue, I have an apk file on hand that you can use to unlock your tab's time. Just make a post here and I'll try and get back to you asap.

Srikar_NBK

Dec 21, 2010
Thanks for the fix. I bet most of us here still don't have the device yet, to benefit from your work. But we would appreciate if you could post your impressions about the device :D

kentoe

Mar 17, 2010
i would love to get my hands on that :) I was frustrated at this unfortunate bug :-/ luckily during the conference it was the right time but now I need east coast time.

Apparently you can wipe to fix it but would rather not

Last edited:

aygriffith

Jan 1, 2011
Dallas, TX
Mine worked well until I attached the tab to Exchange. At that point it switched to GMT and locked me out of the setting. The Time Zone Corrector seemed to fix the problem.

I hope that 3.1 update comes as soon as they indicated it would... I don't know if I'm optimistic about it though.

neonbjb

Jan 8, 2011
Ah OK there you go. :) Interesting bug though, it didn't happen to a friend who got a tab as well, so some of you might be fine.

neonbjb

Jan 8, 2011
Well I need to make 8 posts to post a link... so you're going to have to make this link for yourselves:

http : // appliedanalog . com / downloads / SetTime . apk

All this program does is disable automatic time zones and clocks on your device.

Last edited:
Reactions: -Pagan- and kentoe

pirateandy

Dec 17, 2010
I think there is an easier way, with a non-apk to do it. When I was going through the settings, i ran across an area to set locale. Since I didn't have to change the locale (PDT), I didn't go into the settings. If I can find it again, I'll post where it is.

N/M. The locale setting I saw in the samsung apps, you can reset the locale on it, but it doesn't do anything.

Last edited:

gulfie

Nov 25, 2010
Worked great for unlocking but I notice the time zone still resets every time you reboot. Is this the same for everyone?

If it is resetting (I've not tried this on mine) it'll be because it is pulling the time down from online. I ended up doing a factory restore today to fix the time zone.

On a separate issue I was having a partial success using XJNB to sync files with my Mac (see my 'first impressions' blog post post at surfsoftconsulting.com) but since the factory restore this has stopped working completely.

Other issues I have noticed:
  • Samsung browser is still very buggy compared to the vanilla Android browser. It crashes less than the one on the Galaxy Tab 7" but frequently fails to redraw large areas of the page when scrolling.
  • Using the camera forces bluetooth to be turned off.
  • Plugging the Galaxy Tab into a computer for sync forces bluetooth to be turned off.
  • Can't mount the (virtual) SD card as a drive on the computer you plug the tablet in to - you can only use the (buggy) MTP implementation called 'Kies'.

On the plus side:
  • Stock keyboard (not the default Samsung one) is good, I can almost touch-type.
  • I watched about 4.5 hours of DivX video and played about 3 hours of music during my 10 hour flight back to the UK and the battery was still 35% full on landing.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,
    So as an attendee to IO, I got a 10.1 tab; only problem is it was using the European time zone and for whatever reason used my google account settings which told it to automatically pull down the time from the servers (which would then report an incorrect time due to the incorrect time zone). I guess there's some kind of bug in the settings for the tab as it's missing the option to turn off automatic time, so I was left with a tab that had the incorrect time and could not be set.

So I wrote an android app that manually over-rides the automatic time setting, and it worked like a charm. If anyone else out there is having this issue, I have an apk file on hand that you can use to unlock your tab's time. Just make a post here and I'll try and get back to you asap.
    Well I need to make 8 posts to post a link... so you're going to have to make this link for yourselves:

http : // appliedanalog . com / downloads / SetTime . apk

All this program does is disable automatic time zones and clocks on your device.
    I had this problem as well.

It is a bug in the pre-release software supposedly. You can download timezone changer from the market to fix.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.futurek.android.tzc&feature=search_result
    http://appliedanalog.com/downloads/SetTime.apk

FTFY :)

Edit: Awesome, thank you so much for the unlock of automatic time zone. worked perfectly.