• M4G2DE 2.10GiB Visionary

Votes: 23 6.2%
  • M4G2DE 2.10GiB (Failed eMMC)

Votes: 52 14.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

xdviper

Jan 5, 2009
A lot of bricks been happening, and #G2root has come down to the eMMC chip being the culprit, it's not a defective one but one that goes bad after a while. It just dies for unknown reasons. I'd like people to post their eMMC serials, if recovery gives them an error such as "can't mount cache, data, etc"

You need adb setup for this, use one of the stickys to get started with adb

1, start up adb and type these in.
Code:
adb reboot recovery
2, after the device starts up in recovery, enter this
Code:
adb shell
3, and then this, your serial number should come up after mmc0:0001
Code:
cat /proc/kmsg | grep 'mmc0:0001'

It looks like M4G2DE 2.10 GiB is the bad one, judging from what the #G2root devs say, but lets see what our side is.

Thanks

And unfortunaly I got the bad one too, rooted with gfree, this is what I got
<6>[ 8.328460] mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 M4G2DE 2.10 GiB

5/20/11 Edit: Added a poll, if you'd like to see more options please let me know.

Last edited:

Shivansh

Aug 10, 2010
<6>[ 8.596679] mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 SEM04G 2.17 GiB

That's what mine shows. Don't know if it's the good one?

I'm just curious that if emmc is the culprit then how come no one who rooted using the "non" gfree method never had this issue - at least no one in the forums so far has said that they used the non-gfree method and encountered this issue.

This is my second phone that I've rooted with gfree. The first one died when I was trying to restore IcedGlacier nandroid backup coming from RoyalGinger; with the same clockwork can't mount cache errors. I had the eng bootloader and had tried every thing (even sdparted) but couldn't get it to work.

All I'm trying to say is that it may be the combination of emmc and gfree? What do you think?

Since my current phone is also rooted using gfree; I'm contemplating to revert it back to stock and use the other rooting method.

Thanks for trying to find the cause of this issue.

xdviper

Jan 5, 2009
It looks like you have the good emmc, but still can't be sure.

That's exactly what I wanna figure out, how many people used the other method to root and if they had any errors yet and which method they used. We all need to be a little bit more cooperative and help us figure this out.

neidlinger

Aug 30, 2010
Cincinnati
That's exactly what I wanna figure out, how many people used the other method to root and if they had any errors yet and which method they used. We all need to be a little bit more cooperative and help us figure this out.

Here is mine... hope it helps in your quest.

Attachments

• serial.JPG
    serial.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 3,639
Reactions: radwor

vqt

Mar 29, 2011
I rooted with g-free method. Mines shows up the same as the OP
M4G2DE 2.10 GiB. Does this mean I have the bad one? Getting a little concerned at this point. I have flashed a few roms, a few kernels and all of the radios in the past 2 months since I got the phone. I haven't had any problem. Waiting to see what others will do as in unrooting and re-rooting with another method.

Edit: I took the plunge and unrooted my phone to stock. Then rooted again with the visionary method. Worked fine. No problems.

Last edited:

TehVeggie

Feb 24, 2011
Haven't had any problems, rooted via gfree.
It seems like I have the "better" emmc chip though, I've flashed maybe 10-20 times, different roms and kernels. No radios yet though.
Reading about this stuff has got me a bit paranoid, lol.

Attachments

• emmc.jpg
    emmc.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,985

jdkoren

Jan 4, 2011
Silicon Valley
Code:
cat proc/kmsg | grep 'mmc0:0001'
I don't get any result when I run this command. I've tried in adb shell and in terminal emulator - no dice. If it matters, I'm rooted with gfree, running CM7 with faux123's kernel.

h22aboi

Nov 17, 2010
Feels like I won the lottery or something.... I got the "good one".

mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 SEM04G 2.17 GiB

Used root.sh method first, then used GFREE method after that method came out for CID 111111~. I knew my third exchange would be the charm! Or was it four? Lost count.. lol.

I've been scared and kept my phone s-off debloated stock, but now I feel like exploring.
Now to flash TRUEBLUE's panache ROM....

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
Personally I never liked the idea of CID unlock. If I want to unlock my phone I'll just ask T-mobile, they're very cooperative.

I have s-off with engineering bootloader and I'm happy.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA Premium App

Rillusion08

May 15, 2011
Salt lake City Utah
I am trying to figure this out. I did not use the gfree root method, I actually used the unlockr method.

the cd/adb isnt listing my device and I know I am doing the steps correctly. Going to post this in the Q&A section as well. Thanks for any feedback you guys can provide.

EDIT: Drivers installed through PDAnet. Going to see if the drivers on HTC.com change anything.
EDIT2: Clearly it was the drivers problem. Upon using the HTC.com drivers it works. will post Serial later in the day.

Last edited:

kimbernator

Feb 1, 2011
So... how sure are we that the cause of these errors is the emmc chip? I mean, do we have any cases of this happening to people with the SEM04G chip?

maf2003

Apr 5, 2011
i got <6>[ 6.952484] mmcblk0: mm0:0001 M4G2DE 2.10 GiB

I flash my phone 6 or 7 times in the past 2 weeks with no problem. i always flash CWM just before flashing rom. i use gfree root with eng hboot. looks like i have the bad chip. just wanted to know whats the 1st numbers mean (6.952484)? my number is different then the one on OP. Ive also check my phone with the cat /proc/kmsg | grep mmc0 command found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1079025&page=5. didnt get the error. I'm guessing for now im not in danger right now, hope i stay that way.

Rillusion08

May 15, 2011
Salt lake City Utah
Side note

As a side note to this topic, attempting to run adb shell was giving me a device offline error.

ran adb kill-server > adb start-server and nothing, was at it for roughly 2 hours this afternoon. Did some digging around and found that sometimes the USB cable could be the culprit. So after 2 hours of killing and starting server, and reading android forums I decided to dig around for my other micro usb cable. Lo-an'-behold device comes online.

Just did a recovery of virtuous fusion and had no issues with the recovery. going to run the commands from the OP and find post my results.

EDIT: Results were SEM04G 2.17 GiB

So from public opinion I have the "good" emmc. Again I just ran a recovery of my phone as well. But whos to say even with the "bad" chip it wouldnt have worked. Many people posting today have the "bad" chip and have been flashing/recoverying for many months.

Last edited:
Reactions: sloerthinmost

thederekjay

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 15, 2010
DARKSIDE
haha looks like we need to start a support group.. i have the infamous "BAD ONE" M4G2DE 2.10 GiB :( same thing with my GF MT4G and she already got the plague on hers, but i recovered with PD15IMG.zip about a month back... knock on wood my phone is still going like a champ and i am the one constantly flashing, only flashed her phone 3 times... go figure :confused:

TeeJay3800

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 31, 2009
Michigan
It looks like I have the "good" one:

5389584emmcscreen2.jpg

This is BS though. Someone could pay $450 for a phone with a known defective chip, and the manufacturer has no replacement plan in place? There's something wrong with this picture...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A lot of bricks been happening, and #G2root has come down to the eMMC chip being the culprit, it's not a defective one but one that goes bad after a while. It just dies for unknown reasons. I'd like people to post their eMMC serials, if recovery gives them an error such as "can't mount cache, data, etc"

You need adb setup for this, use one of the stickys to get started with adb

1, start up adb and type these in.
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    2, after the device starts up in recovery, enter this
    Code:
    adb shell
    3, and then this, your serial number should come up after mmc0:0001
    Code:
    cat /proc/kmsg | grep 'mmc0:0001'

It looks like M4G2DE 2.10 GiB is the bad one, judging from what the #G2root devs say, but lets see what our side is.

Thanks

And unfortunaly I got the bad one too, rooted with gfree, this is what I got
    <6>[ 8.328460] mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 M4G2DE 2.10 GiB

5/20/11 Edit: Added a poll, if you'd like to see more options please let me know.
    check without root.

Download terminal emulater

Type in:
    su
    (to gain root permission)
    Than type in
    cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/name

Verify the result. SEMO4G is the "good" one & M4G2DE is the "bad" one.

You don't need to type "Su" as this method doesn't require it

Sent from my HTC Glacier Sense 3.5 using xda premium
    For anyone who needs it check without root.

Download terminal emulater

Type in:
    cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/name

Verify the result. SEMO4G is the "good" one & M4G2DE is the "bad" one.
    M4G2DE = Mytouch 4G 2 Die Early
    Hello Phateless do you remember me? lol I am always on diff name so ya.

But yes PD15IMG.zip is not the golden solution to everything. It all depends on how you originally rooted your MT4G as VISIONary+ (TempROOT) and root.sh (PermROOT). In that case your S=OFF security off flag is dependent on the eng hboot which was pushed to /dev/block/mmcblk0p18 during PermROOT.

Now since its not true security off once you have newer radio. You try to run PD15IMG.zip (Sense 2.2.1 Rom/Radio 26.03.02.26_M) after the first update which is stock hboot you would be locked due to it changing S=ON thus on next step it will fail due to the image being older than originally on which is currently flashed which would be the radio. In this case your in a point where you shouldn't be as you can be locked out and no way to reroot. which I am working on finding. This also goes for gfree radio s=off.

If you do want to go back download PD15IMG.zip (stock radio 26.03.02.26_M) and then flash it once that is done then you can revert back to stock rom/radio using standard PD15IMG.zip (Sense 2.2.1 Rom/Radio 26.03.02.26_M). Keep in mind unless the new PD15IMG.zip is out you can't revert it back if your locked out due to source being outdated than current image.