CyanogenMod 7 for Galaxy S Q&A

Search This thread

kk12175

Aug 24, 2010
hong kong
I would expect it to work the way Apple devices do in similar situations. Once you hook them up to the charger they begin charging with a charging icon on the screen, and as soon as they have enough power onboard to boot up, they do. No bootloops.

Hey guys, I'm on 05092011-nighty, I tried to reflash couple times, but I still have a problem with the sound effect in setting-sound-feedback. I tick all boxes for audible touch tones, selection, lock sounds, but it just no sounds coming out. Have I miss out something?

rschenck

Feb 8, 2011
Hey guys, I'm on 05092011-nighty, I tried to reflash couple times, but I still have a problem with the sound effect in setting-sound-feedback. I tick all boxes for audible touch tones, selection, lock sounds, but it just no sounds coming out. Have I miss out something?

I had this problem and I tried just about everything...so many things in fact I am not exactly sure what solved it in the end...but something did.

Try switching themes and rebooting...I think that might have been it.

TheNikkoMan

Jul 31, 2010
Oslo
The installationinstructions state that there should be a NIGHTLY install on ROM Manager, but I only see the initial.. Isn't the nightly up yet?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App

rschenck

Feb 8, 2011
The installationinstructions state that there should be a NIGHTLY install on ROM Manager, but I only see the initial.. Isn't the nightly up yet?

I am seeing CyanogenMod 7 (20110516)...I assumed that that is the nightly, or is it the Initial?

What is the actual nomenclature in ROM Manager now?

Zatta

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
Dec 22, 2010
Sneek
They are all nightly, also the initials.

Tapatalked u see

ewo

Oct 23, 2010
hey guys ,
just another quick one from me - how do we change fonts on a CM7 rom?

rschenck

Feb 8, 2011
hey guys ,
just another quick one from me - how do we change fonts on a CM7 rom?

At this time you can't. I have the request for using different fonts on my list of things to ask the devs for when we hit the "OK, everything is about done with, we go to RC1 tomorrow...anyone have any last bells and whistles they want added in?" stage.

You may be able to change fonts by making a theme in UOT that uses an alternate font and installing it via Theme Chooser, but I have never done it.

Birba

Feb 27, 2006
Hi all

That is the first time i flashed cyangenmod7 on my sgs. I took the easy way from here:http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/...7-for-samsung-galaxy-s-phones-build-20110303/

So what i did:
1. I flashed first the froyo package with odin, pit 512 and repartition, as per the guide
2. then after first reboot i installed rom manager, but root was not available.
3. so went to the recovery and installed su+busybox, rebooted and rommanager was ok. but that was not in the guide
4. tried to install then cyanogenmod7, rommanager rebooted into recovery an i
5. i then manually flashed the downloaded cynogenmod7 in recovery and now im on cyanogenmod
6. tried to install gapps with rom manager. after dowloading it reboots in recovery and only shows me the flashin triangle without doing anything
7. flashed also gapps manually in the recovery.

So, few steps did not work as per the guide, but am I on the safe side?

Thank to the everyone

mikextr23

Jun 30, 2009
Is it ok to flash kc1 modem (850mhz band support) to my international SGS i9000? I was searching for that same modem in captivate section of sourceforge but didn't find it there. So i'm afraid that it will cause problems to my cm7 phone as mentioned in the op that i should only flash modem found in sourceforge.

thanks!

rschenck

Feb 8, 2011
Is it ok to flash kc1 modem (850mhz band support) to my international SGS i9000? I was searching for that same modem in captivate section of sourceforge but didn't find it there. So i'm afraid that it will cause problems to my cm7 phone as mentioned in the op that i should only flash modem found in sourceforge.

thanks!

Kc1 works just fine in the i9000. You can get a cm7 version from Zach's platypus kernel thread. JL2 is there as well which is working great for me at 850.

Just flash it from recovery.

Last edited:

rschenck

Feb 8, 2011
What is the current 2g/3g situation? I will be hiking in the desert this weekend and will need to maximize battery life. Do I need to turn off data, then click the Use 2g Only checkbox in Wireless settings, then turn data back on? Can I do it now without turning data off first? Should I avoid it completely? The issues list is not clear.

I will not be in a position where I can reflash anything easily but i will NEED my phone, so I need to know I wont blitz anything accidentally turning off 3g.

kasper_h

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 8, 2010
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
Samsung Galaxy A52 4G
What is the current 2g/3g situation? I will be hiking in the desert this weekend and will need to maximize battery life. Do I need to turn off data, then click the Use 2g Only checkbox in Wireless settings, then turn data back on? Can I do it now without turning data off first? Should I avoid it completely? The issues list is not clear.

I will not be in a position where I can reflash anything easily but i will NEED my phone, so I need to know I wont blitz anything accidentally turning off 3g.

I've done a few times a direct 3g/2g switch (from settings>wireless&networks>mobile networks) without a problem. Then I read about the possible problem, so since then I decided to disable data first press 2G and enable data again (all on the same screen, so almost no extra time needed).

evaldas394

Oct 17, 2010
I cant connect my phone to pc with kies :(( phone connects with removable device.... but i want to connect wint usb ant backup my contacts wint kies... any ideas ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod 7 (w/ Gingerbread 2.3.4) for Galaxy S

The only rule of CyanogenMod: you don't ask for ETAs. You install, your warranty is void.

Warning : Not for new users, flash this build only if you know what you are doing !!!

INSTRUCTIONS:

INSTRUCTIONS:

Latest version: http://mirror.teamdouche.net/?device=galaxysmtd

Check the md5sum if you want to be sure that the download worked (different OSes have different programs that do md5, on ubuntu it is md5sum that you run against the zip you download and compare to the md5sum number shown on the download website). ROMManager does this automatically for ROMs you download via ROMManager.

- First time flashing CM 7 to your Captivate (or coming from another ROM)?

Easy way:
    1. Start with a rooted Eclair/Froyo running Eclair/Froyo Bootloaders (do not ask us how to do this).
    2. Install ROMManager Premium.
    3. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Pick GalaxyS i9000 (MTD) (ignore the warning about not having an official, pick ClockworkMod 2.x).
    4. Make sure you can reboot into ClockworkMod recovery from ROMManager. Reboot and get back into ROMManager Premium.
    5. Choose download ROMs.
    6. Pick the CyanogenMod Nightlies.
    7. Check the Google Apps addon.
    8. Check Backup current ROM!
    9. Check wipe data, cache, dalvik cache.
    10. Let ROMManager finish the installation.

Harder way:

1. Make sure you're running a Eclair/Froyo Firmware (2.1 or 2.2) and Eclair/Froyo Bootloaders!
    2. Root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery.
    3. Do a Nandroid backup!
    4. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
    5. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    6. Optionally install the Google Addon (through ROMManager is easiest)

- Upgrading from earlier CM7?

ROM Manager method:
    1. Install ROMManager Premium.
    2. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Pick GalaxyS i9000 (MTD) (ignore the warning about not having an official, pick ClockworkMod 3.x).
    3. Choose Download ROMs.
    4. Pick the CyanogenMod Nightlies.
    5. Check the Google Apps addon.
    6. Check Backup current ROM!
    7. Check wipe cache, dalvik cache.
    8. Let ROMManager finish the installation.

Clockwork Mod method:

1. Download and push the ROM zip file to the sdcard.
    2. Reboot into recovery.
    3. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    4. Install the ROM zip from sdcard (your Google apps will be backed up automatically)

There are no Google Apps bundled with CM ROMs, because Google asked Cyanogen to remove copyrighted apps. After flashing the rom, don't forget to flash Google Addon package if you want it. ROM Manager will allow you to flash it if you just go into it and after flashing the ClockworkMod recovery for MTD devices, choose Download ROMs, and pick Google Apps.

FAQ (Please Read!!)

Q: I don't have working three button recovery, is there anything I can do?
    A: There is a CWM flashable zip that should be able to fix this at 3 Button Fix. That program is not part of CyanogenMod and we do not support it.

Q: Can I flash over a previous version of CM7?
    A: If updating from an already CM7 running SGS phone, just flash the latest update zip file as it contains all the fixes from previous updates.

Q: I just installed and I don't see the Marketplace, cannot see GMail, cannot sync Contacts.
    Q: I just installed and I don't see any Google Apps.
    A: You need to install the Google apps. They are available in ROMManager. ROMManager also asks you if you want to install the Google Apps addon when you install via ROMManager.

Q: I restored from Titanium Backup but my applications are not working
    A: Do not restore system data, only restore application+user data. CM7 uses new system data and if you restore on top of it, things will not work.

Q: My battery life is simply awful, any tips?
    A: Wi-Fi, bluetooth, and GPS are major battery killers. Wi-Fi and bluetooth are particularly hungry, so turn them off when you don't need them.

Q: The phone booted but I'm not getting any signal, what gives?
    Q: My phone takes a few minutes to establish a 3g signal after I turn it on, what gives?
    A: Known issue with polling when staring up the network. Put the phone to sleep by pressing the power button and waking it up a few times and it will usually come up with a signal.

Q: I lost my SMSC information, how to I get it back?
    A: Follow these steps to restore.

Q: When will Voodoo sound/color/sharpness be integrated?
    A: Maybe some parts will be integrated someday, but there some UNSUPPORTED kernels available on the threads that do this already. Please direct any issues related to these to the appropriate developers, not us.

Q: Your notification toggles are different than mine, how can I change them?
    A: Go into Settings, CyanogenMod Settings, Interface, Notification power widget, Widget buttons

Q: I really miss the accurate battery mods, can I flash these?
    A: No, but you can go into Settings, CyanogenMod Settings, Interface, Status bar tweaks, "Battery percentage"

Q: Where can I get themes for this?
    A: A quick search for "theme engine" on the market will produce a number of results, but there are some in the general Android Themes section

Q: Can I use the video player/music player/contacts/phone/launcher from a Samsung ROM?
    A: No, anything hooking into Samsung's framework will not work on this ROM, there are plenty of alternatives in the market.

Q: Where can I get the Nexus S drivers?
    A: Download and install the Android SDK here then download "Google USB Driver package, revision 4"
    Once downloaded, right click on "Computer", "Manage", "Device Manager", "Nexus S", "Update Driver Software", and point it to wherever you isntalled the SDK

Q: How do I go back to a Samsung stock ROM?
    A: The easiest way is to go back to stock using Odin and flashing a full firmware (including PIT file) with repartition checked (Odin One-Click does this by default on Captivate)

Q: Can I use ROM Manager to install or back up this ROM?
    A: Yes.

Q: Why do I not see the nightlies in ROM Manager?
    A: Nightly builds are only visible in the premium version of ROM Manager. Koush, the developer of ROM Manager is a key reason behind Galaxy S phones having CM7. You can buy it to show your support.

Q: The phone turns on whenever I plug it in, is there any way to prevent this?
    A: This is also related to the kernel and for now is an annoying side effect we have to put up with.

Q: Why can't I play .avi or .mkv files? They worked fine with Samsung's ROM.
    A: Due to codec licensing issues, this can't be provided out of the box. Several apps from the marketplace should be able to replicate this feature (such as RockPlayer)

Q: How do I flash a different modem? The one included doesn't work well with my phone.
    A: Other modems are available here
    Please do not attempt to flash ones from other threads as they use a different method of installing not compatible with our ROM.

Q: Can I use another kernel like Speedmod with this?
    A: Yes, but you have to make sure it is compatible. We do not support any kernels except the one we install.

Q: GTalk doesn't work with FFC?
    A: We can either have a fully fixed camera without gtalk video chat support (samsung libcamera)
    or we can have a buggy camera with gtalk video chat support (opensource libcamera). We went with the fully working camera without GTalk FFC support. Once we have updated libs from Samsung for camera, it'll work.

Q: I encountered a bug, how do I find out if it's known and where can I report it?
    A: You can look through the issue tracker here. If you do not see your issue, please report it. If someone else has it, please star it (but please do not file "Me too!" reports). Try to also attach the logcat output and last_kmsg to the bug report by:
    Code:
    desktop$ adb logcat > logcat.txt
    desktop$ adb shell
    # cat /proc/last_kmsg > /sdcard/last_kmsg (only if you had a crash/reboot)
    # dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt
    # exit
    desktop$ adb pull /sdcard/last_kmsg .
    desktop$ adb pull /sdcard/dmesg.txt .
    desktop$

Attach the logcat.txt and last_kmsg files to the bug report. Of course, you need to have the android SDK installed to do this.
    Has anyone used that app with CM7?

Yes, I did (otherwise I wouldn't mention it). Works fast & flawless. Just have to repeat after every nightly-update...
    some questions guys

is this rom based on froyo or on gingerbread??

can i get the stock samsung camera and music player??

Thanks for not reading the FAQs!http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1067074http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1067074 We only put them up for people who are capable of reading as it makes our job easier when trying to help.

Please stay on a Samsung ROM or derivative. Thanks.
    To answer a few questions...I have prepared a flowchart that shows the entire install process for CM7 on the Galaxy S i9000.

Good luck.

Download it from...https://rapidshare.com/files/634887812/CM7.jpg
    Saw some changes with regards to some experimental "deep sleep" stuff, are they included in this 0509
    update?

Thanks for another great release!

No, they're on a branch and untested, and not finished yet. For the future, we don't normally forget important stuff like that from the Changelogs.