Votes: 23 6.2%
  • M4G2DE 2.10GiB (Failed eMMC)

Votes: 52 14.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

UsrBkp

May 19, 2011
Fort Lauderdale
i have the good one and used visionary to root i flash new roms and kernels every day sometimes two or three times a day and have never had a problem

Thanks for feedbacks from folks like you. I hope someone make a thread with active poll just like the old screen SH vs SO issue. But as I can tell ATM SEM04G user's are less likely to run in to the issue. This is why we can use all the meth's to root while M4G2DE user's seem to only be able to root with gfree as VISIONary+ does not stick for them. I hope someone take the time to make a comprehensive poll which will help people like me to narrow it down. I am ATM trying to get my hands on another MT4G maybe I can get both types and test it and see and post back the results.

NovoRei

Nov 29, 2010
You have to understand how emmc works as on MT4G its using SLC-EUDA

Are you sure the partitions are SLC and not MLC? The emmc can be SLC but it can be partitioned as MLC for /data and SLC for others.

The emmc says ~2GiB when in fact we have 1GiB usable right? If so, its MLC.

Last edited:

SteezyR

Jan 26, 2010
Okay thanks for the help everyone. I got SEM04G 2.17 GiB, im guessing thats a good serial? I rooted the gfree method btw

UsrBkp

May 19, 2011
Fort Lauderdale
Are you sure the partitions are SLC and not MLC? The emmc can be SLC but it can be partitioned as MLC for /data and SLC for others.

The emmc says ~2GiB when in fact we have 1GiB usable right? If so, its MLC.

When it was originally allocated it by the manufacture the chip was using SLC thus we have 2GB instead of 4GB. If we used MLC we would have total 4GB allocated but since we using EUDA it can NOT be reformatted fully unless you replace the whole motherboard. Even then you would need to declare the partition table using low level format which you don't have access to since its EUDA.

UPDATE:

SS110519DFH.png

Keep in mind when I said formatting the partition table I don't mean reformatting /data or /system. As those parameters are still predefined originally when it was allocated by the manufacture as they formatted it using SLC-EUDA. Sorry for the confusion if anyone didn't understand it.

Last edited:

eqjunkie829

Apr 17, 2011
West Jordan, UT
I just checked my phone and my wifes phone and found that I have the bad chip on my red mytouch4g and my wife has the good chip on her white mytouch4g, although her phone seems to have tons of issues and mine does not ie: unresponsive from waking while plugged into wall charger requiring a battery pull to reboot. I wonder if the color is relevant in this issue in regards to how many of what model were sold before they switched from or to the supposedly problematic chip.

tjlawson09

Mar 27, 2011
St. Paul, MN
happy to report i got the good chip 2.17 (is that right...so many numbers lol) and i rooted using the gfree method. This thread is a good idead. needs to be more organized some way....mmm.

Last edited:

bballcat03

Jan 25, 2011
Do you have Android SDK installed on your Mac-OSX? If not go download the and install Android SDK. Then connect MT4G and try from terminal. The adb commands are same as in any other platform.

But the instructions show "c drive" which there isn't on a mac, is it?

Yeah, I have everything downloaded...but I'm so new to Mac, I don't know everything quite yet.

UsrBkp

May 19, 2011
Fort Lauderdale
But the instructions show "c drive" which there isn't on a mac, is it?

Yeah, I have everything downloaded...but I'm so new to Mac, I don't know everything quite yet.

Don't look at the screenshot as its only related to the people on that platform. But only use the commands which is platform independent. So if you already have it setup do:

1) Check in MT4G Settings> Applcation> Development> USB Debugging (enabled:checked).

2) Connect the MT4G via USB cable from terminal type in "adb reboot recovery" At this point it will reboot in to recovery.

3) After rebooted type in "adb shell" in your terminal.

4) Type in "cat /proc/kmsg | grep 'mmc0:0001" and you will see SEM04G or M4G2DE.

bballcat03

Jan 25, 2011
Don't look at the screenshot as its only related to the people on that platform. But only use the commands which is platform independent. So if you already have it setup do:

1) Check in MT4G Settings> Applcation> Development> USB Debugging (enabled:checked).

2) Connect the MT4G via USB cable from terminal type in "adb reboot recovery" At this point it will reboot in to recovery.

3) After rebooted type in "adb shell" in your terminal.

4) Type in "cat /proc/kmsg | grep 'mmc0:0001" and you will see SEM04G or M4G2DE.

I need to put the "androidsdk" folder onto my SD card correct?

Or no? Just do those 4 only?

UsrBkp

May 19, 2011
Fort Lauderdale
I need to put the "androidsdk" folder onto my SD card correct?

Or no? Just do those 4 only?

Just do those 4 from your terminal, So no you don't need to place the android sdk in your SDCard. All you have to do is from terminal go to your local sdk path where adb tool is so you can declare it. This path is where you originally downloaded to as it unzipped it.

bballcat03

Jan 25, 2011
Just do those 4 from your terminal, So no you don't need to place the android sdk in your SDCard. All you have to do is from terminal go to your local sdk path where adb tool is so you can declare it. This path is where you originally downloaded to as it unzipped it.

The part in bold, how do I do that in terminal? Is that one of the 4 steps? my "androidsdk" in on my desktop right now, but I moved it there from my "downloads" folder

and when I open terminal on my mac and type "adb reboot recovery" it says: command not found

Last edited:

UsrBkp

May 19, 2011
Fort Lauderdale
The part in bold, how do I do that in terminal? Is that one of the 4 steps? my "androidsdk" in on my desktop right now, but I moved it there from my "downloads" folder

and when I open terminal on my mac and type "adb reboot recovery" it says: command not found

1) Look in your android sdk dir where adb is located and copy the total absolute path.

2) Open terminal and type in "cd <path>" where you see the <path> now paste what you copied from #1.

3) Then follow those other 4 steps.

acsi007

Mar 16, 2011
Boston
it seems the M4G2DE is more effected due to the corrupted partition from gfree. At this point its just higher rate as we can't say if the chips were doomed from the start

UsrBkp- i rooted gfree and have the bad chip- my output is in this thread. from another thread i used guhle's commands to query my bad chip and it returned good results (also described earlier here as you saw)

Now, I"m on thin ice having the bad chip, but it looks like I can continue to flash for now-- like upgrade from RG1.6 to RG2.1 for example.

Is there any utility like "scandisk" for my laptop, that will scan my MT4G for partition integrity? Knowing that I have a 'bad' chip that's so far in good condition, is there anything I can do to further test to see if it will imminently fail after a few more flashes? (desktop pc software that monitors a hard disk's state comes to mind- where you can report negative S.M.A.R.T. disk health status to the user so that they can react before the hard drive failure actually occurs?)
If so, would this be using adb or are the any *.apk apps related to checking partition health?

I dont want to be cavalier about flashing when I know I have the error-prone chip, but then again I dont want to have a 500$ phone that I can't further modify out of "fear"...

Thanks....

bballcat03

Jan 25, 2011
If my phone is brand new, then I shouldn't have a failed eMMC should I?

Cause I have now tried the MAC and windows method, and simply cannot get this sh*t to work lol. I can get my serial number through adb, but then I try and do everything else and it fails.

I'm half a second away from going to the G2X just cause it's so much easier to root lol

netter123

Oct 30, 2010
Do I understand correctly that even if you do have a "bad" chip that causes errors, that if you have installed the engineering boot you will be able to recover to stock? And then go back to flashing?

jdkoren

Jan 4, 2011
Silicon Valley
I've tried running the command several times and it never shows me anything (EDIT: is this because I have BusyBox installed?). Is there some other way to get the eMMC serial number?

Last edited:

xdviper

Jan 5, 2009
Do I understand correctly that even if you do have a "bad" chip that causes errors, that if you have installed the engineering boot you will be able to recover to stock? And then go back to flashing?

nope, once the eMMC fails to initialize, it's done for. No matter what you do, put the PD151 image, and or have the eng bootloader, it won't write to the chip anymore.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A lot of bricks been happening, and #G2root has come down to the eMMC chip being the culprit, it's not a defective one but one that goes bad after a while. It just dies for unknown reasons. I'd like people to post their eMMC serials, if recovery gives them an error such as "can't mount cache, data, etc"

You need adb setup for this, use one of the stickys to get started with adb

1, start up adb and type these in.
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    2, after the device starts up in recovery, enter this
    Code:
    adb shell
    3, and then this, your serial number should come up after mmc0:0001
    Code:
    cat /proc/kmsg | grep 'mmc0:0001'

It looks like M4G2DE 2.10 GiB is the bad one, judging from what the #G2root devs say, but lets see what our side is.

Thanks

And unfortunaly I got the bad one too, rooted with gfree, this is what I got
    <6>[ 8.328460] mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 M4G2DE 2.10 GiB

5/20/11 Edit: Added a poll, if you'd like to see more options please let me know.
    check without root.

Download terminal emulater

Type in:
    su
    (to gain root permission)
    Than type in
    cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/name

Verify the result. SEMO4G is the "good" one & M4G2DE is the "bad" one.

You don't need to type "Su" as this method doesn't require it

Sent from my HTC Glacier Sense 3.5 using xda premium
    For anyone who needs it check without root.

Download terminal emulater

Type in:
    cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/name

Verify the result. SEMO4G is the "good" one & M4G2DE is the "bad" one.
    M4G2DE = Mytouch 4G 2 Die Early
    Hello Phateless do you remember me? lol I am always on diff name so ya.

But yes PD15IMG.zip is not the golden solution to everything. It all depends on how you originally rooted your MT4G as VISIONary+ (TempROOT) and root.sh (PermROOT). In that case your S=OFF security off flag is dependent on the eng hboot which was pushed to /dev/block/mmcblk0p18 during PermROOT.

Now since its not true security off once you have newer radio. You try to run PD15IMG.zip (Sense 2.2.1 Rom/Radio 26.03.02.26_M) after the first update which is stock hboot you would be locked due to it changing S=ON thus on next step it will fail due to the image being older than originally on which is currently flashed which would be the radio. In this case your in a point where you shouldn't be as you can be locked out and no way to reroot. which I am working on finding. This also goes for gfree radio s=off.

If you do want to go back download PD15IMG.zip (stock radio 26.03.02.26_M) and then flash it once that is done then you can revert back to stock rom/radio using standard PD15IMG.zip (Sense 2.2.1 Rom/Radio 26.03.02.26_M). Keep in mind unless the new PD15IMG.zip is out you can't revert it back if your locked out due to source being outdated than current image.