Froyo Manual Installation Tutorial for Beginner

Search This thread

l3ong91

May 26, 2010
Singapore
THIS TUTORIAL IS MADE BY ME, TO ASSIST BEGINNER OR THOSE WHO DOES NOT HAVE MUCH KNOWLEDGE ON UBUNTU/ LINUX SYSTEM TO RUN FROYO THROUGH MANUAL INSTALLATION.

WHY MANUAL INSTALLATION?
- Better performance than SD card
- Faster and more responsive as compared to SD installation
- Able to check/update the files manually for every files that you transfer to Android system.
- Able to select Android partition installation.

READ THIS BEFORE YOU START
* Make sure to clear all the partition if you have installed Android before on your phone using partition tools i.e. Mini Tool Partition Wizard.
* Make sure to backup your My Storage files to somewhere else just in case the system delete away your files.
* All the codes on Ubuntu are case-sensitive, you have to pay high attention to the spacing, letters and caps when dealing with Ubuntu.

TUTORIALS
Follow all the steps below and will guarantee you a workable Froyo on Omnia 2.

ON WINDOWS
1. Download Daemon Tools from official Daemon website.
2. Download Ubuntu iso from the official website.
3. Download the Froyo Bundle files by Ritchietos, download link here.
4. On your mobile phone, go to Settings> General Settings >USB Connection>Select "Mass Storage" mode and choose "My Storage".
5. Connect phone to PC, extract and copy all Froyo Bundle files to My Storage.
6. After finish downloaded Daemon Tools Lite, follow all the steps and install it (requires reboot).
7. Run Daemon Tools Lite and it will appears on the notification bar.
8. Right click on Daemon Tools Lite and select the option below.
1.jpg
9. Point to the directory where the Ubuntu iso file is located.
10. After that, open My Computer, and a new drive with Ubuntu iso is created, and right click on the Ubuntu iso, click Explore.
11. Run wubi.exe in the iso folder.
12. Follow the option in the screenshot below and key in you username and password for Ubuntu OS. Follow through the installation process.
3.jpg

START UBUNTU
1. Restart the computer.
2. And choose Ubuntu in the OS choice menu.
3. Select the first option in Linux choice menu.
4. After login, attached phone to USB port and you should be able to see your My Storage under Places.
5. Copy ext4.tar.gz from Froyo Bundles on My Storage to Desktop.

CREATE EXT4 PARTITION THROUGH GPARTED
1. Go to Applications> Accesories> Terminal
2. Type in the following commands:
Code:
sudo apt-get install gparted
3. Wait for the installation and type in
Code:
sudo gparted
4. After gparted running, go to top-right corner and select the My Storage partition. (select the one with around 7 Gb storage)
6.jpg
5. Right click on the storage and "Unmount" the storage first.
5.jpg
6. Right click and select "Resize/Move" to set the partition value.
4.jpg
7. Leave around 1-2 gb of spaces available for "Free spaces following".
8. A new partition, "unallocated" will be created.
9. Right click, and select New partition, and set the following.
Code:
Create as " primary partition"
File System " ext4
Label "android"
10. Click "Apply" (Tick icon) and wait for the pending operation to be complete.
11. You will see the new android partition created once it's complete.

COPYING FILES TO EXT4 SYSTEM
1. "Android" drive will appear on the top toolbar once the partition process is completed.
2. Right click on the drive, and "Mount" android partition that just created.
2. Open Terminal, and follow the commands below
Code:
cd Desktop
Code:
sudo tar zxvf ext4.tar.gz -C /media/android
3. Wait for the process to be complete.

RENAME STARTUP.TXT ON MY STORAGE
1. Make sure that My Storage partition is mounted.
2. Open and right click on startup.txt.
3. Select open with gedit.
4. Renamed the following line:
Code:
Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 init=/init"
to
Code:
Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p[COLOR="Red"]6[/COLOR] init=/init"
5. Save and exit gedit.
* In some cases, mmcblk0p6 maybe different for some users, however, you can check your code after running haret.exe if the device hang at the following screen.
IMG_17442.jpg

Now the Android Froyo partition has been transferred manually to the ext4 partition that just created. You can run the haret.exe on Windows Mobile to enjoy the full Froyo experience.

CREDITS
ritchietos for Froyo bundles compilation.
jerrytech2468 for video tutorials.
omnia2droid developers for making our Android dreams come true.

Last edited:

@lmir

Jun 9, 2010
Problems during installation and questions

Here are some problems that i experienced during my installation:

- I would rather put this link: w3.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download - because on this link you can download ISO image directly and on link that you put: w3.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer, installation is started directly from Internet (this is only my suggestion)

- You didn't mention anywhere that Ubuntu needs to be installed on Primary partition (logical , but when following steps people forget that)!
- Because i use PPPOE connection there were no explanation how to create connection on Ubuntu, and how to connect on Internet using that connection!
- How to unmount on Linux?

Question:
- I have set to my partition around 1,5GB, and why when i use camera android report to me that i don't have SD card (i don't have really installed SD CARD but there is about 1GB of free space left on this partition)?
- Can android programs be installed from windows or Linux (like *.cab on Windows) or just using Android Market?
- Is there possibility to put some necessary programs in this bundle installation like Call Light?

Best regards,
Almir M.

l3ong91

May 26, 2010
Singapore
Here are some problems that i experienced during my installation:

- I would rather put this link: w3.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download - because on this link you can download ISO image directly and on link that you put: w3.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer, installation is started directly from Internet (this is only my suggestion)

- You didn't mention anywhere that Ubuntu needs to be installed on Primary partition (logical , but when following steps people forget that)!
- Because i use PPPOE connection there were no explanation how to create connection on Ubuntu, and how to connect on Internet using that connection!
- How to unmount on Linux?

Question:
- I have set to my partition around 1,5GB, and why when i use camera android report to me that i don't have SD card (i don't have really installed SD CARD but there is about 1GB of free space left on this partition)?
- Can android programs be installed from windows or Linux (like *.cab on Windows) or just using Android Market?
- Is there possibility to put some necessary programs in this bundle installation like Call Light?

Best regards,
Almir M.

Hey man look, this is my solution which is working for me, and you can follow your own method if you choose not to follow mine. So here are the main points regarding to your question.

1. The link to the Ubuntu website is to let the users know what they are supposed to download and what content there are downloading, but not just merely give them a download link without reading the instructions.

2. Am I supposed to cover in this tutorial how to turn on and off Ubuntu as well? The reason why I requires you guys to do all the download stuff first in Windows is to saves all the trouble of re-create a new connection in Ubuntu, you doesn't really need a connection though while on Ubuntu. For me, I'm running on Wi-fi, therefore my Internet connection on Ubuntu works as well.

3. I thought a screenshot was provided on the instructions on Unmounting the storage. By the way, to mount and unmount the drive, once you plugged in the storage, it will appears in the top toolbar, and right click and Unmount/Mount the drive.

4. You don't really have a SD card inserted, that's why the camera ain't working. Some apps requires to have a SD card on your phone anyway to function.

5. No, I don't think it can be install through .cab or .apk.

6. Is it really that troublesome for you to go to Market and download that app yourself? Another suggestion for you is to backup all your apps before you go for fresh installation next time.

Last edited:

taram

Feb 20, 2010
Sens
I have a problem. When I connect my phone to my computer, the folder "My Memory" (my store) and disappears when I disconnect it, it reappears.
I formatted my memory to 2GB with EASEUS Partition in primary partition and FAT 32. Am I doing something wrong? I can not transfer the file bundle Froyo since I do not see the folder "My memory (my store). Can you help me? Thanks in advance.

taram

Feb 20, 2010
Sens
it's good, I reconnected my phone through the file and activ'synch My memory is returned. I'll be able to continue installing Froyo.

Bogeyman13

Jan 6, 2010
I followed your tutorial and Android starts ok, but I can't access My Storage partition and SD card. I now have two partitions labeled My Storage and Android. SD card is shown as not mounted (My Storage and SD card are ok, I can see them from WM). What can I do?
Thank you.

Edit: I reinstalled and now My Storage partition is available under storage folder. But I still can't see my sd card. As I understand it should be found in sdcard folder. It's empty. Probably that's because (as I already said) I see sd card notification that it is damaged and can't be mounted (if I install iso installation it is working ok).
How can I bring sd card to life?

Last edited:

l3ong91

May 26, 2010
Singapore
I followed your tutorial and Android starts ok, but I can't access My Storage partition and SD card. I now have two partitions labeled My Storage and Android. SD card is shown as not mounted (My Storage and SD card are ok, I can see them from WM). What can I do?
Thank you.

Edit: I reinstalled and now My Storage partition is available under storage folder. But I still can't see my sd card. As I understand it should be found in sdcard folder. It's empty. Probably that's because (as I already said) I see sd card notification that it is damaged and can't be mounted (if I install iso installation it is working ok).

May I know which package did you downloaded from Froyo bundle? For me, both SD card and My Storage are readable and able to be detected after installing Froyo bundle V1 and V2 updates.

And did you format your SD card using SD Formatter? Check the option below:
Format Type: Full (Erase)
Format Size Adjustment: ON

No need to reinstall the whole thing again, just take out your SD card and format it using SD Formatter. My Storage seems working fine in your case, it's just the SD card problem I guess, should be working after format it.

Reactions: Bogeyman13

Bogeyman13

Jan 6, 2010
I reformatted the card and now it works. Thanks.

Strange is that I tried both v1 and v2 bundles and after I installed v2 again My Storage mounted correctly. God knows what happened. :)
And if there was really a card error, why sd card worked in iso installation?

Anyway, important is that now everything works. ;)

dabizstan

Oct 10, 2006
berlin
Thank you very much for this guide, it really worked for me and it really improves the performance over the SD instalations.

I only have problems with the ubuntu thing because it didn't recognize my wifi card and the cable network didn't work neither... Also I think the Gpart is not the complete name of the software and makes difficult to find it on the repositories (I can't install it through the apt-get command because it didn't find such application.

zbzzn

Jan 22, 2011
I can't see My Storage in Ubuntu

Hi,

I followed the steps of the installation but when I connect my phone to the USB port in Ubuntu I don't see "My Storage" in Places as you describe. Instead something strange happens and I see a new network device ETH1 called Omnia I8000.

One thing I am not doing exactly as in the instructions is the Ubuntu installation. I don't want to install another OS on my machine. Instead I tried Virtual Machine with Ubuntu and a live CD Ubuntu and had the same effect in both.

I an a n00b in Linux so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Buzzy

l3ong91

May 26, 2010
Singapore
Hi,

I followed the steps of the installation but when I connect my phone to the USB port in Ubuntu I don't see "My Storage" in Places as you describe. Instead something strange happens and I see a new network device ETH1 called Omnia I8000.

One thing I am not doing exactly as in the instructions is the Ubuntu installation. I don't want to install another OS on my machine. Instead I tried Virtual Machine with Ubuntu and a live CD Ubuntu and had the same effect in both.

Thanks,
Buzzy

As far as I'm concern, the video tutorial by jerrytech2468.blogspot.com also uses vmware to run virtual Ubuntu, try follow his video installation.

Reactions: zbzzn

zbzzn

Jan 22, 2011
Thanks for helping

Hi l3ong91,
Thanks for giving me that link to the video tutorial.
From the video I realized you are missing a step in the tutorial.
Please add (before connecting to Ubuntu):
In the phone go to Settings->General Settings->USB Connection and set to Mass Storage + My Storage

Thanks Again,
Buzzy

l3ong91

May 26, 2010
Singapore
Hi l3ong91,
Thanks for giving me that link to the video tutorial.
From the video I realized you are missing a step in the tutorial.
Please add (before connecting to Ubuntu):
In the phone go to Settings->General Settings->USB Connection and set to Mass Storage + My Storage

Thanks Again,
Buzzy

Wasn't that already stated on the first post?

4. On your mobile phone, go to Settings> General Settings >USB Connection>Select "Mass Storage" mode and choose "My Storage".

Shakkha

Oct 28, 2009
Hi I3ong91 and thanks for your work.

I didn't understand a thing:

In your Howto, in the end, Froyo will be installed on the internal storage "My Storage" or in the external SD card?

We need to create a partition in ext4 on internal SD? or on external SD? the both?

On the screenshots you show, we can see "sda" and "sdb".
sdb (1.9Gb) seems to be the internal SD and sda (more than 9Gb) seems to be external SD...

So I think the work has to be made on internal SD.

But when we launch haret.exe for the 1st time, will the external SD be erased?

Then you're talking about leaving around 1-2gb for free space following. But on the internal SD only has 1.9Gb ...

Sorry if I doesn't undertand anything at all but I like to know exactly what i'm doing.

Can you quickly explain what memory in used and when please?

Thanks a lot!

l3ong91

May 26, 2010
Singapore
Hi I3ong91 and thanks for your work.

I didn't understand a thing:

In your Howto, in the end, Froyo will be installed on the internal storage "My Storage" or in the external SD card?

We need to create a partition in ext4 on internal SD? or on external SD? the both?

On the screenshots you show, we can see "sda" and "sdb".
sdb (1.9Gb) seems to be the internal SD and sda (more than 9Gb) seems to be external SD...

So I think the work has to be made on internal SD.

But when we launch haret.exe for the 1st time, will the external SD be erased?

Then you're talking about leaving around 1-2gb for free space following. But on the internal SD only has 1.9Gb ...

Sorry if I doesn't undertand anything at all but I like to know exactly what i'm doing.

Can you quickly explain what memory in used and when please?

Thanks a lot!

First of all pardon me if the guide and screenshot does mislead and confused you.

1. This installation can be installed on either SD or My Storage, but in my tutorial it was My Storage installation, split My storage partition into 2, and everything in Android beta will be installed on My Storage. (No need to partition both SD card and My Storage, only create partition on the drive which you want to install Android)

2. The partition really depends on where you want to install the beta, for me, I highly suggest My Storage as it runs better and less problem.

3. According to that screenshot, (It wasn't screenshots from Omnia II 8GB, it was Omnia II 2GB, that's why it shows only 1.9GB in the partition size)

dev/sda was actually the Windows partition on your computer; dev/sdb was the Omnia 2 original partition, 1.9GB.

4. For this manual installation method, there's only ONE time needed to run haret.exe for first boot (Unlike normal installation, where TWO times are required). The content on SD and My Storage will not be affected.

5. It's best to leave 1-2GB partition for Android partition. That screenshot was taken from Jerrytech2468.blogspot.com, his Omnia 2 only has 2GB internal memory.

By the way, may I know how much memory you have on your My Storage? 2GB? 8GB? 16GB?

If you are running on 8GB or 16GB, it doesnn't really affect you, just follow the guide will do, and those screenshot was purely for reference on how to create and access the partition.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS TUTORIAL IS MADE BY ME, TO ASSIST BEGINNER OR THOSE WHO DOES NOT HAVE MUCH KNOWLEDGE ON UBUNTU/ LINUX SYSTEM TO RUN FROYO THROUGH MANUAL INSTALLATION.

WHY MANUAL INSTALLATION?
    - Better performance than SD card
    - Faster and more responsive as compared to SD installation
    - Able to check/update the files manually for every files that you transfer to Android system.
    - Able to select Android partition installation.

READ THIS BEFORE YOU START
    * Make sure to clear all the partition if you have installed Android before on your phone using partition tools i.e. Mini Tool Partition Wizard.
    * Make sure to backup your My Storage files to somewhere else just in case the system delete away your files.
    * All the codes on Ubuntu are case-sensitive, you have to pay high attention to the spacing, letters and caps when dealing with Ubuntu.

TUTORIALS
    Follow all the steps below and will guarantee you a workable Froyo on Omnia 2.

ON WINDOWS
    1. Download Daemon Tools from official Daemon website.
    2. Download Ubuntu iso from the official website.
    3. Download the Froyo Bundle files by Ritchietos, download link here.
    5. Connect phone to PC, extract and copy all Froyo Bundle files to My Storage.
    6. After finish downloaded Daemon Tools Lite, follow all the steps and install it (requires reboot).
    7. Run Daemon Tools Lite and it will appears on the notification bar.
    8. Right click on Daemon Tools Lite and select the option below.
    1.jpg
    9. Point to the directory where the Ubuntu iso file is located.
    10. After that, open My Computer, and a new drive with Ubuntu iso is created, and right click on the Ubuntu iso, click Explore.
    11. Run wubi.exe in the iso folder.
    12. Follow the option in the screenshot below and key in you username and password for Ubuntu OS. Follow through the installation process.
    3.jpg

START UBUNTU
    1. Restart the computer.
    2. And choose Ubuntu in the OS choice menu.
    3. Select the first option in Linux choice menu.
    4. After login, attached phone to USB port and you should be able to see your My Storage under Places.
    5. Copy ext4.tar.gz from Froyo Bundles on My Storage to Desktop.

CREATE EXT4 PARTITION THROUGH GPARTED
    1. Go to Applications> Accesories> Terminal
    2. Type in the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gparted
    3. Wait for the installation and type in
    Code:
    sudo gparted
    4. After gparted running, go to top-right corner and select the My Storage partition. (select the one with around 7 Gb storage)
    6.jpg
    5. Right click on the storage and "Unmount" the storage first.
    5.jpg
    6. Right click and select "Resize/Move" to set the partition value.
    4.jpg
    7. Leave around 1-2 gb of spaces available for "Free spaces following".
    8. A new partition, "unallocated" will be created.
    9. Right click, and select New partition, and set the following.
    Code:
    Create as " primary partition"
    File System " ext4
    Label "android"
    10. Click "Apply" (Tick icon) and wait for the pending operation to be complete.
    11. You will see the new android partition created once it's complete.

COPYING FILES TO EXT4 SYSTEM
    1. "Android" drive will appear on the top toolbar once the partition process is completed.
    2. Right click on the drive, and "Mount" android partition that just created.
    2. Open Terminal, and follow the commands below
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    Code:
    sudo tar zxvf ext4.tar.gz -C /media/android
    3. Wait for the process to be complete.

RENAME STARTUP.TXT ON MY STORAGE
    1. Make sure that My Storage partition is mounted.
    2. Open and right click on startup.txt.
    3. Select open with gedit.
    4. Renamed the following line:
    Code:
    Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 init=/init"
    to
    Code:
    Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p[COLOR="Red"]6[/COLOR] init=/init"
    5. Save and exit gedit.
    * In some cases, mmcblk0p6 maybe different for some users, however, you can check your code after running haret.exe if the device hang at the following screen.
    IMG_17442.jpg

Now the Android Froyo partition has been transferred manually to the ext4 partition that just created. You can run the haret.exe on Windows Mobile to enjoy the full Froyo experience.

CREDITS
    ritchietos for Froyo bundles compilation.
    jerrytech2468 for video tutorials.
    omnia2droid developers for making our Android dreams come true.
    Thank you.

May I know which package did you downloaded from Froyo bundle? For me, both SD card and My Storage are readable and able to be detected after installing Froyo bundle V1 and V2 updates.

And did you format your SD card using SD Formatter? Check the option below:
    Format Type: Full (Erase)
    Format Size Adjustment: ON

No need to reinstall the whole thing again, just take out your SD card and format it using SD Formatter. My Storage seems working fine in your case, it's just the SD card problem I guess, should be working after format it.
    Hi,

Thanks,
    Buzzy

As far as I'm concern, the video tutorial by jerrytech2468.blogspot.com also uses vmware to run virtual Ubuntu, try follow his video installation.
    i've installed android before with sd card method and then i want to try your method..
    i've clear all partition on my phone with minitool (just like your advise before) and then i've made new partition in my storage with minitool (primary FAT32 and i also try logical FAT32) but i got a problem in gparted,my storage can't be unmounted, :confused::confused::confused:there some warning "unable to find mount point" like this picture below :

attachment.php

help me pliss!!
    this is my first time i use ubuntu..:confused::confused:
    :(:(:(

1. It should be PRIMARY, FAT 32 partition under Windows.
    2. From the screenshot you posted, it seems that the Storage was not detectable by the system and after I Googled for it, it was actually the problems with gparted version, some version has reported to have this problem.

3. Run Terminal and copy command below:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gparted dosfstools
    After that unmount My Storage, and key in again command below:
    Code:
    sudo su
    echo -n BOOTDISK | dd bs=1 count=8 seek=64 of=/dev/sdb1

Report back if it doesn't work, will try to help you resolve the problem.

Report back if it doesn't work, will try to help you resolve the problem.
    I'm using Froyo bundle by Ritchietos on my GT-B7610:

1. Camera is working temporarily..........Is there any solution for that........ :(

2. SD card and my storage both are not appearing in Froyo..... :(

3. And how should i apply updates in it because putting in my storage is not working....... :(

This guide was meant for i8000, I don't know whether this guide suits b7610 or not.

1. Camera is working fine on i8000.
    2. SD card and both My Storage is working fine in this tutorial after using updated V2 froyo bundle.
    3. Updates are done through Ubuntu (extract the o2b3update.tar.gz contents and enter commands to copy the files to ext4) or place o2b3update.tar.gz in root of My Storage(Relaunch haret.exe).